Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Did he ever finish adding Noah's Ark 3D support? Planning on streaming that on Sunday for shits and giggles, and if I can do non-vanilla I'm going to.

I would also accept a GZDoom port like the one for Wolf3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah it works, but I think it only supports the re-release he made. ($5)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Commander Keenan posted:

Has the Doom community always been so insufferable?

Look at how butthurt people get over something like Brutal Doom. That is a perfect microcosm of the "community". Repugnant dipshits on one side and whiny grognard-manchildren trying to dictate "the correct way" to the other side.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Linguica posted:

I'm not terribly surprised really.

If you want to play around with amateur game development, is there anything else even remotely like Doom? There's a ton of content, tools, tutorials, active forums, engines with powerful scripting, and making new levels and graphics are a piece of cake.

I've thought for years that any developer in preproduction for a shooter-type game could do a lot worse than to make a crude prototype in ZDoom.

Half-Life has given it a pretty good run imo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elliotw2 posted:

...y'know what, gently caress it. I'll give Wisdom Tree five bucks.

edit: No regrets. This is amazing.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2014

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Dewgy posted:

I'll give Wisdom Tree five bucks.
Actually Wisdom Tree sees a very small portion of that. ;) Be sure to plug the Steam Greenlight page while streaming (there's a link on the itch.io page), we need all the votes we can get.

Elliotw2 posted:

The n3d files are unmodified and work just fine in upstream ECWolf. The only difference between ECWolf and the new Noah3D.exe is that the re-release loads noah3d.wad automatically for music and a few cosmetic changes. All of the changes are free and open source, so if you already own the DOS version of Super 3D Noah's Ark you don't need to purchase it again, although I do appreciate those who have.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Having finished Hellbound, I've moved on to Unholy Realms.

It's pretty okay, for the most part. Nice bite-sized maps that look good without being wedged deeply in its own rear end like Hellbound was.

The biggest problem it has is, holy gently caress, traps everywhere. Here's a setting: there's a closed door, and at the end of a hallway nearby is a switch. Okay, you know how it works, in a normal WAD you hit the switch and some bad guys come out but the door opens, and you're done. In Unholy Realms, here's what happens: you walk down the hallway and there's a trap with enemies coming out. Then when you hit the switch, instead of the door opening some other guys spring out at you, and they're hiding the real switch. But when you hit that switch, the door opens and more guys pour out at you. There's enemies coming out of the walls loving everywhere and it's a level of absurdly overdoing it that I can't really appreciate it.

So even though there's always a Hell Knight or Revenant appearing two inches behind you, it's a lot more enjoyable than Hellbound was.

e: Every time I hit a switch and five Chaingunners are now behind me blasting me feels like the map was made by someone that doesn't actually play Doom, because that poo poo is so broadly obnoxious. No one likes taking unavoidable damage like that! It's not hard!

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blzut3 posted:

Actually Wisdom Tree sees a very small portion of that. ;) Be sure to plug the Steam Greenlight page while streaming (there's a link on the itch.io page), we need all the votes we can get.

The n3d files are unmodified and work just fine in upstream ECWolf. The only difference between ECWolf and the new Noah3D.exe is that the re-release loads noah3d.wad automatically for music and a few cosmetic changes. All of the changes are free and open source, so if you already own the DOS version of Super 3D Noah's Ark you don't need to purchase it again, although I do appreciate those who have.

Nice, definitely will do! I'd love to see this on Steam, ridiculous as it is.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've already voted for it. I'd love to have it on Steam simply for convenience's sake.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Blzut3 posted:

That's awesome. I have the physical release, and I'll finally get to play it, but I'm sure I'll pick up the new release some day.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finished Hellbound. What. The. gently caress was this guy thinking with map 29? Really? REALLY? After a gauntlet of visually interesting but overly dark, overly populated, switch hunt clogged levels, my kung fu was interrupted for THIS?

I did, however, like the story it told through the environment. Going through the UAC labs with hell artifacts behind glass, and then the in-between dimension where the UAC essentially staged a D-Day esque assault on hell forces was neato. Like the poster above me said, though, this mapset is way up its own rear end.

10/10 it's alright

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gently caress The Waste Tunnels in Doom 2. My eyes hurt from all the squinting in the dark areas.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I really goddamn hate almost every level in Doom 2 and I've played it a lot. 1,7,16,29 are the only bearable ones.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Every so often my thoughts wander to the FirstPersonShitter Doom 2 rant.

Wish he wrote more rants. Fun poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Every so often my thoughts wander to the FirstPersonShitter Doom 2 rant.

Wish he wrote more rants. Fun poo poo.

Link please?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That rant was super obnoxious to me because I like Doom 2 a lot more than Doom 1. :shobon:

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Arivia posted:

Link please?

Link

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Every time I play Doom 2 and next map loads I'm like "oh gently caress no, this level is the worst" and in the end I have fun time looking for shortcuts/secrets. I used to really hate Doom 2 because of stuff like Chasm, Trick n Traps or Barrels of Fun, but now it doesn't really matter.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

I used to really hate Doom 2 because of stuff like Chasm, Trick n Traps or Barrels of Fun, but now it doesn't really matter.

Chasm I'll give you. The other two are among my favourite Doom 2 levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Chasm I'll give you. The other two are among my favourite Doom 2 levels.

There are four maps in Doom 2 that are really bad. The Pit, The Factory, Downtown, and The Chasm. Everything else is at least halfway decent, and there are some really good levels like O of Destruction, Inmost Dens, and The Spirit World too.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.

laserghost posted:

I used to really hate Doom 2 because of stuff like ... Trick and Traps or Barrels of Fun

You monster. Tricks and Traps is one of my favorite Doom maps regardless of wad.

As a kid, the giant cyberdemon/knight fight was the poo poo. That alone gives it a permanent free pass.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Tricks and Traps would be a good level - maybe not my favorite, but I can see how it would be someone else's - if it didn't commit the unforgivable sin of having an inescapable nukage pit at the end of the level.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Keiya posted:

Tricks and Traps would be a good level - maybe not my favorite, but I can see how it would be someone else's - if it didn't commit the unforgivable sin of having an inescapable nukage pit at the end of the level.

But that's the trick and trap! That's the ghost of John Romero leaning over your shoulder and saying, "This'll TRICK you! Ha-ha! You have been trapped!" and forcing you to restart the level. Pistol start.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Just type idclip and get on with it.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Random question: is there a way to force gzdoom to run in nonstandard refresh rates in full screen mode? I ask because I am using an overclocked monitor that gets reset to 60hz when I set gzdoom
to my native resolution.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But that's the trick and trap! That's the ghost of John Romero leaning over your shoulder and saying, "This'll TRICK you! Ha-ha! You have been trapped!" and forcing you to restart the level. Pistol start.

Pistol start Trick n Traps is unironically my favorite Doom level. I'm pretty sure they put that lone zombieman there in the room full of cacodemons and a plasma rifle for pistol start guys.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pistol start Trick n Traps is unironically my favorite Doom level. I'm pretty sure they put that lone zombieman there in the room full of cacodemons and a plasma rifle for pistol start guys.

I went through it when doomworld was playing D2TWID, and gently caress that level on pistol start (and no saves) if you didn't know about the trap at the end.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Random question: is there a way to force gzdoom to run in nonstandard refresh rates in full screen mode? I ask because I am using an overclocked monitor that gets reset to 60hz when I set gzdoom
to my native resolution.

Go open Zdoom-(name).ini and look for "vid_refreshrate=0" and set it to whatever your preferred refresh rate is. 0 is auto-detect which is 60hz for most monitor.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Pistol starting tricks and traps is fun and easy, and a great way to brush up on your Pinky-punching prowess.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Grimthwacker posted:

Agreed. I tried going through that twice and aborted both times. There are plenty of other megaWADs that are a lot more enjoyable for people who don't like to get blasted by ridiculous odds like that.

There are a lot of other bullshit things in Scythe 2 besides the enemies too, like how there are catacomb mazes full of enemies blocking your path, where you have to run across lava to find a key or switch, but there's no enviro suit provided so you end up repeatedly dying just to lava damage. It's too bad, since the level design in other regards is really good, but the author set the difficulty from "challenging but fun" in Scythe 1 to "loving annoying and unfair" in Scythe 2.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The first 20 levels of Scythe 2 are fine, but 21-30 are pretty bad.

(Kind of like Scythe 1, really.)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Looking for a Doom 3 mod that only changes the shotgun spread and body gibbing/demon burn away effect. Unfortunately those two things are usually coupled with a bunch of other stupid poo poo in all the mods I've found.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

RyokoTK posted:

Map 26 of Sycthe 1 is Fear and Fear was pretty rad.

It really shows the difference in level design between the two wads. Scythe 1 was more about smallish, straightforward levels. There might be a lot of enemies but there are big open areas where you can get them to fight each other and there's enough ammo and powerups to make it fair even on pistol start. Scythe 2 is bigger but more cramped and you struggle to find enough health just to survive walking on lava.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

RyokoTK posted:

21-30 are great but are a completely different beast. They look absolutely fantastic and the fights are very challenging, usually involving planning a strategy before coming to grips with them. I got to around map 23 on pistol start / ultraviolence with no saves but after that it becomes way too much effort to get through. Still, probably one of my top 3 wads. I think the worst levels are between 10-16 which are really mundane looking techbase levels using stock textures; i hate that poo poo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Looking for a Doom 3 mod that only changes the shotgun spread and body gibbing/demon burn away effect. Unfortunately those two things are usually coupled with a bunch of other stupid poo poo in all the mods I've found.

Aren't the doom 3 mods still pk3 files you can open in 7zip? They might have separate script files in there for the shotgun and body stay.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ungibbable and Classic Shotgun. If you don't like exactly the way the guy modified the shotgun, open the pk4 like a zip and mess with the script file. e: Here's a combined pk4 if you'd like to avoid dicking around with a minor conflict.

^^ and yes, these types of mods came out within weeks of release because it's easily changed by picking apart pk4 files.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks, you two. Glad they put up the original version on Steam instead of replacing it with the BFG edition, which can't be modded. Who thought that was a good idea

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Actually, googling shows that there are basic mods for the BFG edition, including for the shotgun spread and the body stay effect.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Pretty sure it's actually this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Insert name here posted:

Pretty sure it's actually this one

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Can anyone justify that one blue/red flecked glowing wall texture at all? What is that supposed to be? It's not ice or fire or crystal or anything. It can't even pass for bad children's wallpaper cause it loving glows.

Isn't this texture in Doom 1? I could have sworn it was on Mt. Erebus.