Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Max Payne 3 is prety fun, and looks pretty. I go into every cutscene riddled with bullet holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

homo punching bag posted:

Max Payne 3 is prety fun, and looks pretty. I go into every cutscene riddled with bullet holes

Still the best hilarious gore tech in video games.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Drifter posted:

YOu want to buy the DLC? AHaha. The talking pants have literally 3 spoken lines repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, and you'll never use the dye kits.

Go right ahead.

I think you have to start a new game.

also, of course it has a store page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/306320/

...huh, OK then, well I'm not sure why it doesn't link to it via the main D:OS storepage then - if it had, I think I would've shared your opinion on the DLC as well! (admittedly I didn't really look very deeply into it - as you could probably tell!) Yeah I think I'll avoid it, and just continue to enjoy the vanilla game. I thought there MUST'VE been something good about it, if I'm enjoying the base game so much, and if they're charging $10 for it! Although clearly I was a touch too trusting, there.

EDIT: Got another D:OS question, actually. Do those "inert stones" ever get a use (another use?) later on? Or are they useless, and instead just something to sell off ASAP - or not pick up at all?

Thanks

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 16, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Got another D:OS question, actually. Do those "inert stones" ever get a use (another use?) later on? Or are they useless, and instead just something to sell off ASAP - or not pick up at all?

Thanks

Hang on to them if you're a completionist and want to count how many you have/how many you're missing.

Also yeah, don't buy the DLC, at least not for in-game content purposes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hog Inspector posted:

If you want to do digital art you're better off going to ctrl-paint, they have some very good tutorials. If you mean that you want to do traditional art on canvas or paper, there's not really any instructional games for that to my knowledge.

Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to find something that was more like an interactive tutorial/program I could dick around with on my windows 8 tablet.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Looks like nVidia is now including Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel download codes with their higher-end 700 cards (770, 780, 780 Ti). Amazon and Newegg are included in the promotion at the very least.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 16, 2014

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Drifter posted:

Wait'll you hear about this thing called Playfire.

I might be 1 million pages late, but holy poo poo, good site!

Oh wait, I can only spend on greenman.com?

Altran fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 16, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Altran posted:

Well then here.

http://steamlessness.appspot.com/

Enter your steam ID and it will automatically tell you what games you have with active rewards to collect. Combine with SAM for instant free credit.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Altran posted:

Oh wait, I can only spend on greenman.com?

Yes, but they're probably one of the best Steam resellers out there. Decent discounts normally, but they usually have a 20-25% off coupon listed on the front page. That, plus whatever credit they throw at you through Playfire can get you stuff crazy cheap.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

mr. nobody posted:

I'm giving it (Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages) a(nother) try later today with a controller because I gave up my first try after 30 minutes for the same reason as you.

Result: much better, went through the first couple of tutorial missions without getting angry at the controller controls

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

So did Uplay ever get those savegame corruption issues straightened out?

Been waiting to play Driver SF since the xmas sale and I don't really wanna deal with a new potentially buggy game distribution client until it's at least on the same level of usability as Origin.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Reading this and the last thread, it seems that Uplay experiences vary wildly. I, for one, played through the entirety of Driver: SF a while back without any fuss of any sort from Uplay.

Which probably means you'll get the bad side of the coin and the game will refuse to even run.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been playing through Lost Planet 3 for a few hours and I really am enjoying it. It's a little slower paced than your standard 3ps (3rd person shooters) but that's mainly a result of the story it's telling.

The shooting is pretty fun and there are a few guns of the standard variety so far - machine gun, pistol, grenades and shotguns. You get a giant Mech to do missions in as well and can upgrade aspects of it if you'd like.

It's got really nice setting details - nothing that really stands out, but everything feels like it should. you're a mercenary miner in a hostile land with a group of other scientists and miners working a gig and it's no fun living there. The visuals are subdued, but I think really suit the setting - a giant fuckoff stormy ice planet.

The game really reminds me of Dead Space. Except LP3 is a character story with horror while Dead Space was just a Horror story. I liked Dead Space, and it was certainly you know...more horrory, but LP3 is giving me a nice The Thing vibe (even though I really doubt the story is at all similar). It's just a little more chill.

If it goes on sale again I'd suggest you pick it up if you don't need SERIOUS EXTREME ACTION ACTION ACTION all the time in your 3rd person shooters.

I like the story.

Also, don't anybody buy Divinity: Original Sin DLC. It gives you poo poo items in game. It's not worth the current price. Buy it for a buck or two for the soundtrack you'll never listen to.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LP3 owns and aside from some pacing issues feels like a great game with a lot of heart.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How are the bots in Crawl if I'm not going to have anyone to play Local with for a while? Do they pose any sort of challenge to the player at all?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I just played the 'Crystal Dynamics' trilogy of Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld). I wasn't crazy about the combat, but I loved the environmental puzzles. Are there any other games that do that sort of thing well?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

LP3 owns and aside from some pacing issues feels like a great game with a lot of heart.

On the other hand LP3 runs out of ideas 1/3 of the way through, the combat becomes incredibly repetitive, and takes what actually was an interesting "frontier mining" aesthetic and cast and turns them into yet another freedom fighter group battling the Big Bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Seventh Arrow posted:

I just played the 'Crystal Dynamics' trilogy of Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld). I wasn't crazy about the combat, but I loved the environmental puzzles. Are there any other games that do that sort of thing well?

The 3D Prince of Persia games? Those Tomb Raider games lifted all of the Prince's moves pretty much straight from those games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

By "3D Prince of Persia games" He means Sands of Time and its subsequent sequels. Never under any circumstances should anyone ever play Prince of Persia 3D.

I think there was a remake of Sands of Time, but I'm not sure if it was any good. edit: wait, Forgotten Sands wasn't a remake but a sequel? Huh.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 16, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok so I'll start with Sands of Time and go from there, thanks!

Hey, why do a bunch of us have grenades next to our names?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ok so I'll start with Sands of Time and go from there, thanks!

Hey, why do a bunch of us have grenades next to our names?

It's if you have Platinum.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow Consortium is really short. Finished it up in 3 hours with little busywork in between. I really dont like the framing device of the game, which is pretty much 'You're in a video gaaaaame!' especially when it really starts to intrude in the end section.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just finished Prince of Persia 08, while we're on the subject. And people say Mass Effect 3 has a bad ending!!

That's the 25th game I've beaten since the Summer Sale. Livin the backlog dream

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone got the new Risen?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

More Good Risen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

yes it is fun and good and I am like 14+ hours in and maybe I'm almost close to the end of the story? You can never tell with risen games.

is it worth $50? do you have $50 and want to play risen 1 with the theme of gothic in the setting of risen 2? go for it
do you have no idea what those are? play risen 1 then decide.

But seriously though, seriously: if you played risen 1/2, there are so many references you'll drop multiple deuces

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of want to play a first person shooter that's procedurally generated and has a lot of cool skills to pick up. What do you guys recommend?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of want to play a first person shooter that's procedurally generated and has a lot of cool skills to pick up. What do you guys recommend?

I've heard tower of guns and heavy bullets are decent early access games.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Turtlicious posted:

Having never played Tower of Guns, I'm gonna say Heavy Bullets. It has some neat stuff in it and the devs are constantly updating it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sanctum 2 seems alright, but does it have legs if I want to play solo?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Slightly different Risen 3 question - are either of the DLCs worth buying?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Are any of the Total War games on sale at Humble (most of them) worth it as a cheap 4-5 man mass army battle? Something like that sounds like a good laugh but I don't know how well Total War is built around 4-5 man skirmishes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

On the other hand LP3 runs out of ideas 1/3 of the way through, the combat becomes incredibly repetitive, and takes what actually was an interesting "frontier mining" aesthetic and cast and turns them into yet another freedom fighter group battling the Big Bad.

Eh, it's still better written then 90% of the games out there. And at least it keeps the characters human as they make that transition.

It also pulls a few nice tricks to make that obvious twist from being too obvious the people you'd assume to be the evil bads end up joining you because they are your loving friends.

I'd like to see more of that from Spark, but I doubt they'll keep getting work at this point. I'd also like to see more goons play LP3, because everyone I've convinced to play it has enjoyed the setting/atmosphere/story enough to ignore the combat failings.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Unlucky7 posted:

Sanctum 2 seems alright, but does it have legs if I want to play solo?

This game is absolutely miserable solo.
Also the game came out with a patch that pretty much made the final levels beatable with only one strategy and requiring 4 people.

It was fun to start but now, I'm pretty turned off of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dragon Commander is turning out to be fairly fun. No patience for RTS shenannigans? Just get your troops to follow you as you fly across the landscape and gently caress up everyone with fireballs.

Yes you play a dragon that has a goddamn jetpack.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

While I didn't like the RTS aspects of Dragon Commander, I have to give it props for being the only fantasy game that will ever have a "legalize gay marriage?" prompt.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Yes, but they're probably one of the best Steam resellers out there. Decent discounts normally, but they usually have a 20-25% off coupon listed on the front page. That, plus whatever credit they throw at you through Playfire can get you stuff crazy cheap.

GMG is nice, but credit and coupons can't be combined.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any cool/charming/low budget rts/rpg/fps games that came out lately? I need something fun to play.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tropico 4 complete is .39 get it while it's hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Tropico 4 complete is .39 get it while it's hot.

99% reduction, seems like someone made a mistake

• Locked thread