Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Meet me in the pit nerds.

I can't stop wearing the Sanctum Princess Tiara help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
There's a trophy/achievement for character creation and a whopping 7.3% (at the time of this post) of Dark Souls II Steam players haven't done that, with a full 8% having not died yet.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So Crown of the Old Iron King is coming out in almost a week (Aug 26). Think there's going to be a new trailer for it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trigger warning: full Havel's chugger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2_Dc0T2lxw

As much fun as this new moveset is, it's pretty much inferior to the regular one (especially powerstance) in terms of effectiveness. Assuming this is the moveset for a new fist weapon, I hope it has higher AR than Vanquisher's Seal fists to make it more effective.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Assuming this is the moveset for a new fist weapon, I hope it has higher AR than Vanquisher's Seal fists to make it more effective.

I think it's more likely that it will have good counter/poise/crit stats but lower AR than Vanqs. Would be pretty cool that way, shame it doesn't have a unique backstab animation.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but i think that new fist moveset is pretty stupid and i'm a little bummed about it. it's not that it's not cool, sure it's "cool," it's just uh...not very "dark souls." while i understand this is a series where you can lug around a 6-foot petrified dragon tooth as a weapon, there's still always been a nice unpolished/gritty sense of realism and weight to the combat and seeing characters sleekly flying around like they're in a martial arts movie just doesn't look right in this game to me. bah humbug.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but i think that new fist moveset is pretty stupid and i'm a little bummed about it. it's not that it's not cool, sure it's "cool," it's just uh...not very "dark souls." while i understand this is a series where you can lug around a 6-foot petrified dragon tooth as a weapon, there's still always been a nice unpolished/gritty sense of realism and weight to the combat and seeing characters sleekly flying around like they're in a martial arts movie just doesn't look right in this game to me. bah humbug.

On the other hand, twinblades, curved greatswords, the warped sword powerstance R2, the sword-whip... There's a lot of wacky movesets in the game.
Personally I'm always happy to see more diversity.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Bring back the bonewheel shield, goddamnit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You can do jumping attacks with literally every weapon and there's a huge delay after the flying kick where you're recovering. I mean it's a bit silly (though seriously twinblades, whip powerstance, hell powerstances with about 90% of the weapons are dumb as gently caress) but it's still got that weighty feeling to it.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Beard Yawn posted:

Meet me in the pit nerds.

I can't stop wearing the Sanctum Princess Tiara help me.

You chose... wisely :hfive:

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
yeah, true, in DS2 movesets have generally taken a slight turn toward the silly. and it's fun to have new builds to play with, for sure. i guess it's a bummer to me because i see it as a sign they're sort of abandoning the idea of 'thematic consistency' at this point and just doing whatever strikes their fancy - but i really get that sense from the whole game, honestly. like, DS2 never feels like a coherent single world the way DS1 did because they just weren't as meticulous in enforcing that design consistency.

BUT, i also think DS2 is more strictly 'fun' to play than DS1. so maybe i think DS2 is a better video game and DS1 is better as, like, art and stuff.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
What are some cool glowing swords I can get in this game? That blue one Benhart has looks good. When's he supposed to give it up? I'm at that creepy looking frog boss currently.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Going back to DS2 after like two weeks of DS1 made me feel like a god. The super precise movement and 60 frames is almost nauseating at how smooth it is, like how in the world did I ever get hit. I'm so mobile.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Matchbox posted:

What are some cool glowing swords I can get in this game? That blue one Benhart has looks good. When's he supposed to give it up? I'm at that creepy looking frog boss currently.

If you really want it you can go murder him, otherwise you need to summon him to help you on 3 boss kills without him dying which means using Ascetics or getting fairly far into the game.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Tae posted:

Going back to DS2 after like two weeks of DS1 made me feel like a god. The super precise movement and 60 frames is almost nauseating at how smooth it is, like how in the world did I ever get hit. I'm so mobile.

Haha, at the same time I felt like in DS1 combat was easier in a lot of ways. All the time in the world to parry, enemies let you backstab them way much more, you can roll through everything from the start of the game, etc

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Captain Matchbox posted:

You're about 2-3 levels away from getting it from him. I'd say just kill him, but the next time you see him will be a boss away from him giving it to you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Turns out that giving Rosabeth this armor poisons you slowly, but it's worth it. :kamina:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This is a game where beating someone down with a giant bell on a stick is a viable option.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bigass Moth posted:

This is a game where beating someone down with a giant bell on a stick is a viable option.

And the last game let you wear teeth on your hands and do shoryukens.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Daynab posted:

On the other hand, twinblades, curved greatswords, the warped sword powerstance R2, the sword-whip... There's a lot of wacky movesets in the game.
Personally I'm always happy to see more diversity.

What's wacky about curved greatswords?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Matchbox posted:

Aside from Benhart's, there's another similar sword you can get by beating Tseldora in NG+. You'll need to trade a soul to Ornifex to get it.

There's also a glowing sword in the Sunken King DLC area, in a chest.

You can also get one by talking to grave warden Agdayne after you have the King's ring.

I can't think of any others, but you could use weapon buffs to make your sword glow. There are a couple of swords that can buff themselves, which you get by trading in the Watcher and Defender boss souls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yes, the gritty, realistic combat of gymnastic tumbling.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

The Smelter Sword is a massive slab of molten, glowing rock, while the Defender/Watcher Swords have built-in buffs that make them sweet and glowy too. Benhart's sword is a prop and sucks rear end; the true Moonlight Greatsword is a reward for smithing Freja's NG+ soul.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Well I decided to start up and finish ng+ on my (massively overleveled 8m sm) pvp character and I gotta say that it is significantly more enjoyable than DS1's ng+ because of how non-pushovery the enemies throughout the entire game are vs. DS1's entire first half of enemies dying in 1 hit like chumps.

I can't wait for the SM locking ring so I can go through ng++ and beyond without pushing myself out of the common multiplayer range.

Also the Chaos Blade is both hilarious and disappointing. I was thinking it would be a massive damage increase over my heide sword but it really isn't beyond the obvious monstrous counter hit damage. In PVE though geez it just pours out damage since enemies are in a counterhittable state for so long.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Alabaster White posted:

The Smelter Sword is a massive slab of molten, glowing rock, while the Defender/Watcher Swords have built-in buffs that make them sweet and glowy too. Benhart's sword is a prop and sucks rear end; the true Moonlight Greatsword is a reward for smithing Freja's NG+ soul.

Benhart's sword got a buff and is pretty good with raw infusion if you like the moveset (I do not).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ugh, are the freyja souls in ng+ good for smithing? I was hoping to skip it entirely because spiders.

Does the area get much worse for ng+? There are some places that are kind of horrible in ng+ and some places which barely change.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Souls games have always been anime.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously if a sword that can pierce the drat sky and cause a loving earthquake shattering isn't "silly" or "anime" then I feel you haven't played the Souls game enough. :colbert:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Anime is everywhere and a key component to many things that Totally Own

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Berserk is like the primary inspiration for these games.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Guard breaks never loving work when you need them to. I've died too many times to Havels hiding behind their sheilds now.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm so hype to Dragon Kick and Thunder God Fist and cast new fire explosions on NPCs/PCs you don't even loving know

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Guard breaks never loving work when you need them to. I've died too many times to Havels hiding behind their sheilds now.

If the person strafes backwards it's really hard to land. In that case, either learn to pivot backstab (unlock, run behind them, turn sharply and r1; if you timed it right it will be a backstab) or get a weapon that pierces shields.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

If the person strafes backwards it's really hard to land. In that case, either learn to pivot backstab (unlock, run behind them, turn sharply and r1; if you timed it right it will be a backstab) or get a weapon that pierces shields.

It's not that, I just can't start them! It seems completely random whether I successfully do it or just get a light attack instead.

EDIT: I'm guessing the window for it is based on FPS, just like everything else?

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 16, 2014

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Anime is everywhere and a key component to many things that Totally Own

Ninja flips and sword lasers, hell yeah mother fucker.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Hakkesshu posted:

Berserk is like the primary inspiration for these games.

Very. I forgot who showed me a link, but there was little nods and references to Berserk.

Hell the Shadow Mask/Llewyn chest piece/king gauntlets/mad warrior leggings is the closets to the Berserk armor. :v:

Also, obviously the big rear end greatsword.

Wish they would give us more facial structure options like Dragon's Dogma.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dark Souls II has one of the better face editors imo, certainly compared to say Mass Effect.

Mass Effect: "On a scale of 1 to 4 how black is your character?"
Dark Souls II: "Here are five easy-to-understand axes for varying your flesh tone, plus options for skin texture and highlights"

Mass Effect: "Select one of these eight noses, six of which look comical/awful"
Dark Souls II: "Hope you know what a glabella is because there's three parameters for that alone"

The main problem is that the female defaults are all weird/mannish (and have very small heads too). Also every parameter indirectly stretches about four or five others; try making your character's eyes actually horizontal like a normal human's and it'll twist and contort their mouth and nose in horrible ways that you then have to undo via other sliders which are also going to have various knock-on effects.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Saints Row 4 has probably the best character editor, although clothes layering worked better in SR2. They need to license that poo poo.

Praseodymi posted:

It's not that, I just can't start them! It seems completely random whether I successfully do it or just get a light attack instead.

EDIT: I'm guessing the window for it is based on FPS, just like everything else?

You and me both. The key combination is the worst loving thing, and it seems like it isn't a simple press this and this key at the same time, because I can trigger it maybe 30-40% of time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't for the life of me get guard breaks to trigger consistently online but they work just fine off. It's just lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:stare:

Just beat Old Iron King in my CoC run on my first try taking zero damage

with a pure-melee character

welp, that just happened.

:hellyeah: