Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Endman posted:

They do. Don't you remember when those Bearcat armoured cars were purchased for every state's police force tactical units, including Tasmania of all places.

Couple of months ago I was filling up at a petrol station when a WAPOL MRAP turned up next to me.

Why the WA Police need protection from anti-vehicle mines is anybody's guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Message from a mate down in Melbourne, his flatmate was instructed by Frances Abbott at Whitehouse:

quote:

Housemate told me that yesterday in class, Frances Abbott announced that she'll be leaving the Whitehouse. The official response: To get some industry experience.
The real answer: The staff and students hate her and forced her out.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Abbott's quote about Scotland is currently the most shared article on the BBC website.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Australian PM causes Scottish independence. :allears:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah I was ambivalent on Scottish independence before but I'm a strong supporter now

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

BCR posted:

Australian PM causes Scottish independence. Australia to become a republic :allears:

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Thought I would share this steaming pile just delivered to my inbox. Get me out of Waverley.

quote:

To the Greens

With regard the Gaza Declaration, which has been endorsed by so many of the Greens, I have one fundamental question regarding it: Why do the Greens accept Hamas’s statements as accurate and rejects Israel’s statements as lies?

I have repeated the Gaza Declaration below with my comments interspersed, highlighting all the blatant inaccuracies and lies.

The Greens are uncritically treating Hamas propaganda as fact. Indeed, since Hamas uses its people as human shields to paint Israel as child-killers, the Greens  have effectively turned themselves into accessories to murder and incitement to hatred.

So: WHY do the Greens accept Hamas’s statements as accurate and rejects Israel’s statements as lies?

Appendix: “The Canberra Declaration on Gaza” with my comments.

We the undersigned members of Australian federal and state parliaments, call on all Australian politicians to condemn the ongoing Israeli military bombardment and invasion of Gaza.

Why was there never an equivalent web site like this calling on Australian politicians to condemn the ongoing indiscriminate missile attacks of Hamas on civilian sites in Israel, which has been going on for 14 years?

We call on Australian politicians to support an immediate cessation of hostilities and a ceasefire deal which includes an end to Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories and to the blockade of Gaza.

Gaza is not occupied. Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005.

There is no “blockade” of Gaza. Only a “military blockade”, which is quite reasonable, since the Palestinians sole purpose of obtaining military arms is to use it against Israel. To call it a “blockade” implies that it is general blockade of everything, which is totally inaccurate. Even during the present conflict, approximately 3,600 truckloads carrying some 40,000 tons of food, medical supplies and essential goods have passed from Israel into Gaza. Israel supplies Gaza with electricity [and telecommunications services], and maintained these services throughout the recent conflict. No other nation in the world would supply its mortal enemy with essential services and goods in such fashion.

We call on all Australian politicians to also support the United Nations Human Rights Council's decision to launch an independent inquiry into purported violations of international humanitarian and human rights laws in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem.

“Israel is the only nation in the Mideast that operates under the rule of law. Its record on human rights compares favourably to that of any country in the world that has faced comparable dangers. Its Supreme Court is among the best in the world, and it has repeatedly overruled the army and the government and made them operate under the rule of law. Israel has among the best records in the world with regard to the rights of women, gays, the physically and mentally challenged, and so on. It also has freedom of speech, press, dissent, association, and religion.

The Palestinian Authority, on the other hand, shows no respect for human rights. It tortures and kills alleged collaborators without even a semblance of due process. It tolerates little dissent and it is intolerant of alternative lifestyles. Palestinian propagandists invoke “human rights” merely as a tactic against Israel.” (1)

Over 1700* Palestinians in Gaza have been killed, since Israel started its military attack on Gaza three weeks ago. The United Nations says at least 75 percent of the dead are civilians, including an estimated 300* children. In the last two days, Palestinian children have been killed at a rate of one per hour.

The figures of civilian casualties are grossly exaggerated, since they include combatant casualties to inflate the figure. (2) (3)

Furthermore, Hamas deliberately use civilians as human shields for their rocket attacks. Israel, on the other hand, drop leaflets on areas prior to bombing in order to warn the civilians, and in so doing loose the element of surprise against the Hamas combatants.

The rockets fired from Gaza are not in any way justified and insofar as they threaten and harm civilians are illegal under international law. However, these imprecise rockets cannot be compared with the broad-scale bombing of Gaza by Israel which has one of the world's largest military forces.

Even imprecise rockets kill. So why is Israel not entitled to defend itself by taking out these weapons of war? Would Australia show the same restraint if it were targeted with missiles or tunnels whose purpose was to infiltrate sovereign borders, kidnap and kill?

Collective punishment is not permitted under the Geneva conventions and is a war crime.

“Terrorism against innocent civilians is, of course, the ultimate form of collective punishment. Every Israeli – regardless of his or her support for or opposition to particular government policies – is targeted for death just for being Israelis and Jews. The concept of collective accountability for terrorism that is widely supported by the vast majority of Palestinians and their leadership is entirely consistent with law and morality.”(4)

Hospitals, places of worship, and a centre for people with disabilities have been among the Israeli military's targets.

That is simply because Hamas deliberately chooses to launch missiles from hospitals, places of worship, schools and other civilian concentrations. Its military headquarters is shamelessly based underneath athe [xxx] hospital. Hamas is to blame for those civilian deaths.

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) is providing shelter to more than 102,788 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

The international community including Australia has a vital responsibility to put pressure on Israel to end its current military attack on Gaza and broker a solution of justice and peace.

Should read:

The international community including Australia has a vital responsibility to put pressure on Hamas to end its 14 year missile attack on Israeli civilians and broker a solution of justice and peace.

*updated 4 August 2014

(1)    (1) The Case for Israel , Alan Dershowitz, (retired Harvard Law School professor), 2003.

(2)    (2) Caution needed with Gaza casualty figures
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28688179

(3)    (3) Hamas Lies, And the media believed it.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/08/12/hamas-lies-about-the-gaza-civilian-death-toll-and-the-media-bought-it

(4)    (4) The Case for Israel , Alan Dershowitz, 2003.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Well that sure is a lot of words I don't hate myself anywhere near enough to actually read.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sometimes people like Wayne Swan make Labor seem less like shitlords. I really am keen to buy that book of his.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hawaiian_robot posted:

Message from a mate down in Melbourne, his flatmate was instructed by Frances Abbott at Whitehouse:

Mate I need more of this juicy gossip.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Mate I need more of this juicy gossip.

Seeing what else I can find out

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Sydnesider posted:

Thought I would share this steaming pile just delivered to my inbox. Get me out of Waverley.

Dershowitz is a lousy academic, so her plays politics instead of doing good research or publications. Hit back with relevant Finkelstein and Chomsky.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I've heard Chomsky is a windbag who is pedantic about semantics c/d?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BCR posted:

Well he is a cunning linguist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So my Seek searches have pulled up a job that I'm qualified for, but is openly Christian and demanding that the applicant be of a Christian faith.

What do people recommend? Apply anyway and just gloss over the fact I'm an atheist, or just not even bother applying because that's a can of worms that'll open inevitably and not be pretty when it does?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BCR posted:

He's also a romantic who is sometimes sycophantic, but his ego is gigantic (it's the size of the Atlantic).

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Endman posted:

Pictured: a Queensland Police "Rescue Vehicle"

I've seen a few of those down here in Melbourne, courtesy of the SOG, I believe.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Cleretic posted:

So my Seek searches have pulled up a job that I'm qualified for, but is openly Christian and demanding that the applicant be of a Christian faith.

What do people recommend? Apply anyway and just gloss over the fact I'm an atheist, or just not even bother applying because that's a can of worms that'll open inevitably and not be pretty when it does?

Don't do it, in no universe would it be worth it and religious orgs usually have abysmal corporate cultures.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

He's also a romantic who is sometimes sycophantic, but his ego is gigantic (it's the size of the Atlantic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain

Cleretic posted:

Accept Jesus as your lord and savoir, obviously. Here's a job that will secure your finances and your soul!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Mate if they ask you're a non practicing Anglican, apply anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Fruity Gordo posted:

Don't do it, in no universe would it be worth it and religious orgs usually have abysmal corporate cultures.

Some parts of the Salvos don't do supervision with staff, they pray instead. 'Dear Lord, let us hope that that Cleretic has the strength to turn up to work on time, or failing that, spends his newly found free time on updating his resume'.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Is that legal?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only for bus drivers.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Murodese posted:

Is that legal?

Nope, it breaches the anti discrimination act in nsw at least. Women's shelters have to apply for an exemption from the act to only hire female staff lol.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Nope, it breaches the anti discrimination act in nsw at least. Women's shelters have to apply for an exemption from the act to only hire female staff lol.

Misandryyyyyy!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was discrimination, and so not actually stopping me from applying to it. I was mostly asking because, well, it's a hardline Christian place, which is a workplace environment that I'm not surprised to hear isn't super healthy.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Out of curiosity, what kind of work/industry is it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

Is that legal?

When your a job creator, these sort of issues tend to get glossed over.

Bububut I'm a job creator, I'd prefer a big bosomed blonde. And if one applies and is successful, that means there's one more job created in Australia. Win-Win rite?

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

BCR posted:

Mate if they ask you're a non practicing Anglican, apply anyway.

If you really need the job obviously do it but considering the luck of jobs in this thread they're going to make your join them at their anti abortion/homosexuality rallies or you'll find you're mysteriously not getting a raise this year.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's really easy to pretend to be Christian, because odds are whoever asks you about it, like 99% of Christians, hasn't actually read the Bible.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

SadisTech posted:

:ducksiren: Requesting Advice :ducksiren:

Completely off-topic but I'm hoping someone who's done this before might be able to help out.

Since my mum passed away I've had to pay rent on her caravan and annex while waiting to find out if I have permission to sell it. It's in a long-term residential park that was previously administered by the Public Trustee, but has just been sold to a company that does retirement homes and the like. With the sale I have also been given permission to sell, which is good because otherwise it'd have to be torn down and carted away at my own expense.

I really need to sell it ASAP because it's costing me a bomb just having it sit there. I've had a lot of interested people but no-one willing to close the deal - until just now. However the guy who wants to buy it can't come up with the funds all in one hit and wants to pay a lump sum of about half and then sign a contract for $1000 per month until it's paid off.

The sale is all being handled privately and there aren't any fees or the like because it's not a property sale per se. So, my question is has anyone been in this situation? What should I know about creating a contract to ensure that it's legally binding if it should come to it? The guy seems generally trustworthy, but I'm loath to go into an arrangement like this with no legal protection if it should come down to it.

Any advice would be incredibly welcome as I can't find a lot of good resources particular to Australian law online.

This sounds like a terrible idea to me.

I read it as:

"Hi. I can't convince anyone that is in the business of lending money to loan me enough money to buy this place, but I'm hoping I can convince you. How about I give you half now and we hope for the best over the next few years."

There's plenty of nice, well meaning people that are terrible with money out there. You can probably name a dozen of your friends that fit that description. This guy sounds like one of them.

Selling property always takes a significant amount of time - generally months but sometimes years. If you can't afford to have it sit there unoccupied while you look for a buyer you should consider looking for a tenant.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

BCR posted:

I've heard you used to be a staunch Laborite c/d?

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

Murodese posted:

Is that legal?

It actually is legal, unfortunately. Religious institutions and schools have exemptions from discrimination legislation. The other employer that has an exemption is the military.

Exemption can also be granted for certain categories of jobs where there is an inherent requirement these include actors/models, fitting room attendant or where there is a specific physical standard required eg the police are allowed to not hire people in wheelchairs.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, it's great how the acts and exemptions stop people from discriminating on the basis of religion whilst allowing religious institutions to discriminate on the basis of religion.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Murodese posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of work/industry is it?

Just desk work and admin stuff. But I just looked at their website, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't last a week there before snapping and hurting some people. I expected the to be kind of awful but probably harmless, but with a name like 'Family Voice Australia' I really should've known.

Read 'em and weep.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Just desk work and admin stuff. But I just looked at their website, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't last a week there before snapping and hurting some people. I expected the to be kind of awful but probably harmless, but with a name like 'Family Voice Australia' I really should've known.

Read 'em and weep.

This is worse than I thought it would be.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Read 'em and weep.

Hurting awful people? Take the job you wussy

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Cleretic posted:

Read 'em and weep.

I saw three massive red flags without even clicking on a single link on that page. Also a massive Australian flag. I guess that's a fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
How will I know I'm not homosexual if I don't try it?

• Locked thread