Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

team overhead smash posted:

Trolls seem to be rolling for 4+ on Really Stupid even with a team member next to them. Is this a bug or have the actual BB rules changed or what?

If there is a player standing adjacent you should see the bonus represented somewhere in the log. So it's a 4+ roll with +2 bonus to the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This discussion comes around everyone once in a while. Here's the flowchart: Is it part of the rules? Yes? Then you aren't being a dick. No? Then you are.

Stalling? Screening? Caging? One turners? Clawpomb? T16 Fouls? Conceding? Just hurting players instead of trying to win? Not being a dick.

Bitching your opponent out in chat, especially early and especially if it's a stranger who might know it's all in good fun? Farming SPP by exploiting flaws in the matchmaking in order to play dozens and dozens of games against a team of all snotlings you also control that automatically concedes? Repeatedly hitting escape in the hopes that your opponent accidentally hits Exit Match? Waiting out the entire game of four minute turns only to cordpull at the last second? That is being a dick.

Basically, if you couldn't do it at your friendly local gaming store without the other person refusing to play against you again or just getting thrown out, then that is what qualifies as being a dick.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Turns out that if you press F10 when that pause trap is pulled on you, it closes the windows. Sadly, my opponent had left, I couldn't pull the same poo poo on him and the game just eventually ended through time (we were already on turn 16). Oh well, at least I now know what to do next time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

This discussion comes around everyone once in a while. Here's the flowchart: Is it part of the rules? Yes? Then you aren't being a dick. No? Then you are.

Stalling? Screening? Caging? One turners? Clawpomb? T16 Fouls? Conceding? Just hurting players instead of trying to win? Not being a dick.

Bitching your opponent out in chat, especially early and especially if it's a stranger who might know it's all in good fun? Farming SPP by exploiting flaws in the matchmaking in order to play dozens and dozens of games against a team of all snotlings you also control that automatically concedes? Repeatedly hitting escape in the hopes that your opponent accidentally hits Exit Match? Waiting out the entire game of four minute turns only to cordpull at the last second? That is being a dick.

Basically, if you couldn't do it at your friendly local gaming store without the other person refusing to play against you again or just getting thrown out, then that is what qualifies as being a dick.

I agree 100% with all of this. With two exceptions:

In a tournament, it's not OK to concede a match unless it's been explicitly allowed in advance OR there's rules in place (like in a live in-person league) to mitigate the issue of the team receiving the concession getting 2xMVPs +2 TDs worth of SPPs + double the cash. In Cyanide there's no way around that, so I tend to feel in a tournament if you want to "concede" you should tell your opponent, click End Turn through the rest of the game, and let it finish normally so that you aren't handing them all the extra bonus junk.

Second exception is the T-16 foul outside of a tournament setting, where you're unlikely to ever face that team again (but they still lose any players you kill). In a tournament, it's fine to T16 foul of course, because it's part of softening up the opposing team for the rest of their remaining schedule, which could affect your standings compared to them come the playoffs.

Even so... the T-16 foul is a bit dickish but not worth having a tantrum about. And the concession thing usually boils down to someone not really being aware of the affect it has on the tournament when they do it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I wouldn't play against someone again who did T16 fouls (outside of a scenario where it has tournament relevance) so I guess I agree with this. I wouldn't have a tantrum about it - it's just a game - but it's pure vandalism.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

TravBot posted:

GNU, you have inspired me to roll a Dwarf team.

:patriot:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

In a tournament, it's not OK to concede a match unless it's been explicitly allowed in advance OR there's rules in place

The only reason I didn't mention tournaments / quitting in them was because I've gone down that road many a time and I figured everyone was tired of hearing me bitch about people quitting tournies.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I wouldn't play against someone again who did T16 fouls (outside of a scenario where it has tournament relevance) so I guess I agree with this. I wouldn't have a tantrum about it - it's just a game - but it's pure vandalism.

If you don't like it, then may I suggest not having any players on the ground?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, I didn't know that Pitch Invasion could wipe out more than half your fielded team. Now I know. And it terrifies me.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Hey does anyone want to play some Blood Bowl with me? I am on the Auld World league as "dhamster." I'm new and not very good.

vv-- Sorry about that I was in a matchmade game. But I've added you for next time and I'll check the IRC

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 16, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

dhamster posted:

Hey does anyone want to play some Blood Bowl with me? I am on the Auld World league as "dhamster." I'm new and not very good.

I'd be up for a game. I think the way to challenge is just to log on and go to "Play!", then pick out your opponent (same account name in my case).

EDIT: Actually, it's getting to be a bit too late for me. Check the IRC, there should be people up for a game there.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 16, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

If you don't like it, then may I suggest not having any players on the ground?

Or, like your standard proposed, I could simply play against decent players.

I mean, if you think it's reasonable to do, I'm not trying to do more than disagree. That's not an interesting argument to have. But saying that it's more fun to play against people who are in it to win, not just cause chaos, is clearly different than expecting people to actually not try to win as started this discussion.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
You realize that you can do two things at the same time, right?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yes. And I find the goal of "just cause chaos" in a game where a decent chunk of the fun is in crafting a team, to be a serious enough detriment, even if paired with being "in it to win," that I wouldn't include such a player in the group of people I play against. I think this is a fair criteria even if not everyone feels the same.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
That's cool. I don't like to play with pixelhuggers myself, but hey, each to his own.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

E. Nesbit posted:

That's cool. I don't like to play with pixelhuggers myself, but hey, each to his own.

This is a silly argument, considering you're the guy who values the joy of fouling a video game elf over the experience of the human being you're playing against.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is a silly argument, considering you're the guy who values the joy of fouling a video game elf over the experience of the human being you're playing against.

ENesbit has been playing Blood Bowl since time immemorial. He has reached a zen state of not giving a gently caress about the universe around him, and exists only to find pleasure in himself through fouling people and playing as dwarfs. He cannot be moved or changed, only avoided or embraced.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Spite is an intrinsic part of Blood Bowl.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Blood Bowl is a terrible game for terrible people. Embrace it, avoiding it is futile.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Or, like your standard proposed, I could simply play against decent players.

I was being mostly sarcastic.

Also, I wrote up a big effortpost, but screw it. Just imagine this: Kickoff: Throw A Rock. Lose FAME. 5-5: Injury. 6-*: Dead. Not actually as unlikely as it sounds, but it serves to demonstrate that in this game, you can lose players for absolutely no reason. Why get so bent out of shape if you're going to lose them for simply no good reason?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's that feeling when you block a player into another player, surfing the second guy, and both end up dead due to rolls? Somewhere between :ohdear: and :unsmigghh:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Why get so bent out of shape if you're going to lose them for simply no good reason?

Sure, don't be a baby about it, but you should be thick-skinned enough to handle being called an rear end in a top hat if you engage in play where the sole benefit is to gently caress with somebody else. The better defense, if you've decided to be really invested in what other people think of your play style, is to say that Blood Bowl is a game where part of the fun is getting to be a dick.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
1) Coaches doing whatever is advantageous towards winning matches, and upgrading players. Stalling, "superfluous" blocks for SPP, late fouls in tournaments, whatever.

2) Random game events permanently degrading or killing your players.

3) Coaches doing this that bring no real advantage to themselves, but intentionally degrading their opponents' team. Mostly just late fouls outside tournaments.

Theses are clearly different things. It is entirely reasonable to feel differently about each of those cases, and how they reflect on the character of others.

My view? 1 & 2, that's Blood Bowl. 3, well, that's also Blood Bowl, but you're still a lovely person if you do it. Part of the game is that it leaves plenty of opportunity to be an rear end in a top hat, if that's your thing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
random question, out of curiosity. What is your favorite/least favorite skills?

Not really looking for a list, just some general impressions. For me, anyways, I like skills that allow changing up how one character can play from another (kick, break tackle, disturbing presence), or one team from another. I also like leap, frenzy, sprint, diving tackle, piling on, and other skills that opens up more playstyles but isnt a strictly positive choice all the time.

The skills I rather hate are the "no brainer" style skill choices (Block, Dodge, Pass, Sure Hands, Pass, etc) that often just serve as a fiddly SP tax before a positional can do poo poo in a game, or choices that just make sticking to a single unchanging playstyle even safer. They're great skills, but... theres not much excitement about them. I also hate tackle for seemingly existing only to counter a single other skill. Opponent has dodge? Hahaha gently caress them. They don't? Hahaha gently caress you. Claw works like that too, although its generally more useful, and is just more a counter to armor than a singular skill.

idk, I like thinking about Blood Bowl from a game design perspective. Its a unique and fun game, but its also one where there's a really clear divide between "playing to win" and "playing to have fun". The talk about etiquette for using things programmed into the game made me think of it again. I've played games where you can be a huge prick to other players, but outside of weird things like EVE Online, this is one of the few where you can soundly lose the game and still come away better for it by doing things like building a team based on just killing the poo poo out of opposing players. Its also a game where an entire team (dwarves) is hated, not for being overpowered or even underpowered, but for being so drat boring to play against. Its a fun thought experiment: "how would I go about the task of making dwarves NOT poo poo???"

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

eth0.n posted:

1) Coaches doing whatever is advantageous towards winning matches, and upgrading players. Stalling, "superfluous" blocks for SPP, late fouls in tournaments, whatever.

2) Random game events permanently degrading or killing your players.

3) Coaches doing this that bring no real advantage to themselves, but intentionally degrading their opponents' team. Mostly just late fouls outside tournaments.

Theses are clearly different things. It is entirely reasonable to feel differently about each of those cases, and how they reflect on the character of others.

My view? 1 & 2, that's Blood Bowl. 3, well, that's also Blood Bowl, but you're still a lovely person if you do it. Part of the game is that it leaves plenty of opportunity to be an rear end in a top hat, if that's your thing.

If you aren't turn 16 fouling, you aren't playing the game right. Simple as that.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

random question, out of curiosity. What is your favorite/least favorite skills?

"how would I go about the task of making dwarves NOT poo poo???"

My absolute favorite stat-up to see is +Agi on a Minotaur. Big guys fall out of fashion very quickly on a developing Chorf or Pact team, but if I get +Agi then that team is now all about putting that cow in a position to score.

My try-hard favorite stat-up is +Agi on a Thro-Ra. I challenge anyone to cite a skill or stat-up that changes a team's chance at winning more dramatically than that.

I think Dwarves fill a necessary role in Blood Bowl: They are the purest form of slow cagey play just as Wood Elves are the purest form of fast-TD Elf fuckery (with a consolation prize going to Skaven because of one goddamn ridiculous positional). All other non-joke-tier teams are somewhere in between.

The only time I really dread playing Dwarves is when I'm playing as Amazons because suddenly I'm fielding a team of nothing but Thralls. It's the worst bullshit.

The very least that could be done would be to crank up the cost of their re-rolls from 50k to 70k. A starting roster of all 6 positionals, 5 Blockers, and 2 Re-Rolls would come to 990TV. Instead of the same but with 3 Re-rolls at 1000TV.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like punching people in the mouth. I like Tomb Kings and am new to this game. How do I get the most out of my spooky scary skellingtons with my level ups?

I'm guessing Tackle and Dodge for my Blitz-Ras if possible, Block/Guard for my Tomb Guardians, but what else? I'm at a loss on what to do with my Throw-Ras. Should I seriously bother to get Catch on anybody given the poo poo AGI all around? I put Leader on the only Throw-Ra to level so far.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I like punching people in the mouth. I like Tomb Kings and am new to this game. How do I get the most out of my spooky scary skellingtons with my level ups?

I'm guessing Tackle and Dodge for my Blitz-Ras if possible, Block/Guard for my Tomb Guardians, but what else? I'm at a loss on what to do with my Throw-Ras. Should I seriously bother to get Catch on anybody given the poo poo AGI all around? I put Leader on the only Throw-Ra to level so far.

Pray for the following:
Tomb Guardians: Doubles -> Block
Thro-Ras and Blitz-Ras: +Agi

Don't take Catch on anyone if you get doubles. Personally I put Guard on Skeletons if I get doubles on them but many people would argue that you should only ever take Dirty Player or fire them if they level.

Mighty Blow will help your Tom Guardians get to a second level-up. Set up 3dbs for them to feed them casualties.

Khemri are one of the worst teams for getting to know the game, but they're a nice challenge once you've got a handle on how to advance a cage and score a TD without ever throwing a pass.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

Pray for the following:
Tomb Guardians: Doubles -> Block
Thro-Ras and Blitz-Ras: +Agi

Don't take Catch on anyone if you get doubles. Personally I put Guard on Skeletons if I get doubles on them but many people would argue that you should only ever take Dirty Player or fire them if they level.

Mighty Blow will help your Tom Guardians get to a second level-up. Set up 3dbs for them to feed them casualties.

Khemri are one of the worst teams for getting to know the game, but they're a nice challenge once you've got a handle on how to advance a cage and score a TD without ever throwing a pass.

Is the desirability of +Agi on Blitz and Thro purely rooted in "picking up the drat ball" or is there anything beyond that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Is the desirability of +Agi on Blitz and Thro purely rooted in "picking up the drat ball" or is there anything beyond that

Getting away with the ball as well.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

If you get lucky enough to roll doubles it also helps when using dodge!

Never ever ever ever throw the ball with Khems unless it's the last option available to you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Throwing the ball with Khemri is always a good option for comedy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
skeletons should be able to toss their own skulls at people, get on it cyanide

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

If you get lucky enough to roll doubles it also helps when using dodge!

Never ever ever ever throw the ball with Khems unless it's the last option available to you.

Thro-Ras are runners then, got it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Throwing the ball with Khemri is always a good option for comedy.

I had a Thro-Ra with agi3 for about 30 games. Completed 3 passes in that time.

If you want to throw the ball, do it right: take Hail Mary Pass. Ka-BOOM!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:cripes:

My khemri Thrower spent the whole half trying to pick up the ball and failing. I kept the entire enemy team out of my half of the pitch but there was no way I could pick up the ball even with several other skeletons helping

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

:cripes:

My khemri Thrower spent the whole half trying to pick up the ball and failing. I kept the entire enemy team out of my half of the pitch but there was no way I could pick up the ball even with several other skeletons helping

"That's Blood Bowl"
http://tindeck.com/listen/jvdn

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's a reason why a lot of people only play Elves and bullshit plays are only part of the explanation.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

RabidWeasel posted:

There's a reason why a lot of people only play Elves and bullshit plays are only part of the explanation.

There are very few exclusive elf players these days. I'd say there's more exclusively Skaven players than there are elf players

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Speaking from experience the biggest draw back for Khemri is the lack of movement. Tomb Guardians are probably the best big guys in this game and you get 4 of them to make up for a fairly unimpressive rest of your team. Unless you roll doubles for them the first two skills you want on them is guard and mighty blow. I will usually give 2 mighty blow and 2 guard and then swap for level 2. Now doubles is always going to be block even if it is double 6's (+strength).

For your Blitz-Ra's you want tackle and mighty blow. Always take a +str roll if you get it on these guys. The + movement is also useful since it helps with what Khemri is weakest at.

Your Throw-Ra's should be renamed to Run-Ra's because you should never throw with them since there is no one to throw too. Block is pretty important on them since these guys are going to be the guys that pick up the ball. I like kick-off return on these guys because once again movement is at a premium for this team so any closer you can get to the ball the better your starting position will be. If you ever roll doubles I would take dodge. I would also take any stat gain that I rolled. Agi will help you pick up the ball and str makes it harder for the enemy to tackle you specially if you are in a cage surrounded by Guard Tomb Guardians. Movement is not as important since you can only move as fast as the rest of your team. Very rarely will you send your Throw-Ra forward ahead of the cage. Now I know I said you don't want to throw the ball there is a exception. I like to put dump-off on my Throw-Ra's so if my cage is broken and my ball carrier is about to be tackled with a blitz I can pray that I get lucky with pass to any other player on my team.

Skeletons are cheap fodder with low armor so they will get injured a lot. You don't want to invest a lot into them but that being said they will level up since your team is mostly made out of these guys and they will get your mvp a lot. Any that get a +stat take it and use it to the fullest other then that get dirty player on 2 or 3 skeletons and block on the rest.

Finally remember you are a bashing team so just because you have knocked everyone to the pitch does not mean you are done. Use dirty play to it fullest by gang fouling your opponents. The fewer players they have on the pitch the easier it is for you to march down field and score. Also don't look a gift horse in the mouth, if your opponent kicks the ball out of play don't give the ball to your Throw-ra or Blitz-Ra give it to a Tomb Guardian.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, the problem with Elves is that when you're hitting on all 8 you're proper bullshit and it's great, but all it takes is one bad game to set your team back a long, long way. Even your linemen are expensive, and if a positional gets killed it can completely compromise the flow of your team.

Pro Elves are potentially the worst in this way. Their Catchers are so retarded good that a Pro Elf offense is one of the most futile things to try to stop in the game, but they completely suck rear end at breaking a cage and most of the team is AV7. One Catcher dying on the pitch can take half a dozen games to recover from, especially if you don't happen to have 110k lying around to wipe your rear end with.

Compare this to more punchy teams, where the people with the most SPP are the ball carriers, and if they die it'll hurt for a game or two, but really all you want on those guys is Sure Hands and Block anyway so it's not exactly the end of the world.

e: Unless you're Yapo and all your SPP is on one norse thrower with a terrible name, so when he dies on the pitch it's a SAD DAY for you but a great one for everyone else.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 16, 2014

• Locked thread