Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I am just itching to start recording a Pikmin 3 LP with a couple of friends, but I really want to go in to that game blind, and record it as a first play-through. I'm pretty new to this community, so I'm curious if a blind/virgin LPs are okay to do, or if it is kind of frowned upon. I'm pretty familiar with Pikmin 1 & 2 if that's any consolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

As long as you guys have good chemistry, and are competent at the game, it's fine. That being said, you should probably play through the first day off-camera so you get a feel for the mechanics.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

zfleeman posted:

I am just itching to start recording a Pikmin 3 LP with a couple of friends, but I really want to go in to that game blind, and record it as a first play-through. I'm pretty new to this community, so I'm curious if a blind/virgin LPs are okay to do, or if it is kind of frowned upon. I'm pretty familiar with Pikmin 1 & 2 if that's any consolation.

Have your friends played it? I mean, it's fine either way, make a video and if it's bad it's bad who cares, but people seem fond of blind LPs with non-blind co-commentators.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

Have your friends played it? I mean, it's fine either way, make a video and if it's bad it's bad who cares, but people seem fond of blind LPs with non-blind co-commentators.

Me: Lots of Pikmin knowledge.
Friend 1: Played Pikmin 2 multiplayer with me a bunch when it came out.
Friend 2: Nintendo idiot and doesn't know anything, that dumbass.

I think we'll make this work. Just checking if I would be met with turned up noses. Thanks guys!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zfleeman posted:

As long as you make sure to edit out parts where you stumble around for a really long time not knowing what to do you should be fine.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

JordanKai posted:

As long as you make sure to edit out parts where you stumble around for a really long time not knowing what to do you should be fine.

Yes. This is key. There comes a point where as a viewer, you just want the player to 'get on with it already' and start jumping ahead in the video. If you produce something in which 90% of the content gets skipped, then what was the point in including the content.

Show the essentials, highlight the entertaining bits, and if it starts to drag -- A little time dilation never hurt anybody.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

EricFate posted:

Yes. This is key. There comes a point where as a viewer, you just want the player to 'get on with it already' and start jumping ahead in the video. If you produce something in which 90% of the content gets skipped, then what was the point in including the content.

Show the essentials, highlight the entertaining bits, and if it starts to drag -- A little time dilation never hurt anybody.

Yeah, cool, that's what I was thinking. Previous Pikmin games have had the virtue of the Day/Night system, and if this one is in any way the same, it could have some built-in stopping points. Let's say the game goes upwards of 10 hours, and we capture it all, what is a good expectation for how long the videos should be? About thirty minutes each?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

zfleeman posted:

Yeah, cool, that's what I was thinking. Previous Pikmin games have had the virtue of the Day/Night system, and if this one is in any way the same, it could have some built-in stopping points. Let's say the game goes upwards of 10 hours, and we capture it all, what is a good expectation for how long the videos should be? About thirty minutes each?

This is a matter of taste. Personally, thirty minutes is my upper limit for a video that's part of a series I haven't seen before/have no prior interest in. I like to keep it near 20, even.

But you'll get people here and there who will say 20 is too long, or an hour is fine, so it's really up to you.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

AllisonByProxy posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I took a second pass at the Soul Reaver video I posted earlier. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/i6MglSPAHvg

Also if anyone might be interested in co-commentating on the LP let me know as well. Looking for someone who maybe hasn't played/seen the series but is interested in finding out about it.

Bumping because it got buried as the last post on the previous page.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AllisonByProxy posted:

Bumping because it got buried as the last post on the previous page.

Video seems fine, you might want to post something with a sample of commentary to fix possible audio issues. You don't need to have a co-commentator right away, right?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
I'm just a simple email script - Let's Play Tron 2.0

quote:

Tron 2.0 is the 2003 sequel to the 1982 film. It follows Alan Bradley and his son Jet as they dive into the computer world to battle Thorne and his evil corruption as it spreads throughout the system. It's a first person "shooter", though I'll be using the Disc for most of the game. The look of the game is a slightly updated version of the original film, rather than the radical redesign of the second film. It's voiced by some of the original cast and has music by original composer Wendy Carlos and a new light cycle design by Syd Mead.

The LP will be subbed with updates coming once a week or so.

Any advice will be appreciated.

lokistarwind
Jul 15, 2014

Malachi Constant posted:

I'm just a simple email script - Let's Play Tron 2.0
Any advice will be appreciated.

I watched your video and I noticed a few problems with it. In terms of a technical standpoint, the subtitles at various times blends with the background and unreadable. I would also like an explanation as to why the subtitles change colors every so often. If there is a reason, then you should explain. As for gameplay, I felt like it could use some edits like a chunk of the tutorial being removed as you can explain it during missions. Not to mention the opening sequence where it shows who made the game before starting a save file. Probably a personal issue for me was the in game text being very small which was not a big deal until you suggested the viewer to read certain parts. A quick explanation by you should suffice as you did at some parts.

In terms of commentary, it was very basic. It is the first video, so it is expected to be mainly tutorial. Aside you making a note on the blaster or fall damage, I did not see any subtitles expressing anything personal that you had of the game. It felt more of a walkthrough more than anything.

I would recommend fixing your technical issues and find a way to add to your commentary to diversify it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, everything about the LP seems very... bland? Your introduction in the post itself could have been taken off of wikipedia. I doubt this is a game many people are familiar with, so why not tell them what you think? Is it a hidden gem, a hilarious piece of shovelware made 20 years too late, a decent but unimpressive shooter, what? If you're going to LP it, there must be something there that pushed you to do so. Tell the audience what that is.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
Those are all good points. You're both right that I was being too conservative with my comments. I'll make the subs more readable, and I think I'll take out the tutorial section and just explain as I go. I'm a big fan of the original Tron and I know a lot about it so I'll add in some more interesting commentary.

Thanks!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

zfleeman posted:

Just do a day at a time; days last about fifteen minutes and you likely won't go for more than 30 days. If you feel like you wasted a day, you can scrap the recording and retry from the start of that day with no major loss.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Behold!

SMALLBEEF IS UPON US

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

toddy. posted:

Behold!

SMALLBEEF IS UPON US

Lookin' good, 'Beef.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Malachi Constant posted:

Those are all good points. You're both right that I was being too conservative with my comments. I'll make the subs more readable, and I think I'll take out the tutorial section and just explain as I go. I'm a big fan of the original Tron and I know a lot about it so I'll add in some more interesting commentary.

Thanks!

I'd suggest going with voice commentary. Shooters are generally unfriendly to the subtitled approach since people will generally want to watch the action instead of reading - and Tron 2.0 is a fairly pretty game with an interesting art direction so there will always be something to look at.
Ultimately it's your call, naturally, just my two cents.

TrebuchetConscious
Aug 16, 2014

quote:

Hi to the people of this forum.

My housemate and I have been playing Project Zomboid for a while now and thought, hey lets record our stupidity and put it on the internet. We've recorded and edited 2 videos so far, and we're kinda desperate for criticism.

I don't really have a feel for what the community is like here, whether 'serious' (for lack of a better word) LPs are preferred over a couple of friends mucking around. Most of it is nonsensical stuff and smack talking, but give us some feedback. Did you like it? Did you hate it? Do you want to see us tied up in a public park and pay people to throw vegetables at us? Do you want to beat us with blunt instruments? Also what kind of instrument?

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6rQgxhRsg.com

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMC3Z1vDF0.com

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lurkmore:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The good:
The two perspectives on the game are pretty cool, and it's nice that there's a note showing us whose screen is whose when you switch. That could make for an interesting LP.
For some reason despite the pointless rambling of your comments I can't hate your commentary because you both have rather nice voices. It's that accent.

The bad:
You need to put at least a modicum of effort into explaining what is going on in this game. Talk to us, the crowd, not just each other. Tell us what all that stuff means when you're making your character, tell us why you're doing what you're doing, tell us about the game. I mean, feel free to shoot the poo poo for most of the bulk of the time, that's fine and helps fill in the dead spots where there's nothing new and exciting in the game to talk about, but at the very least tell us enough that we'll be able to appreciate what's going on onscreen. Like this it's like watching a screen saver with two guys talking over it.
LPs of endless games are a little difficult, unless you do something like set a specific goal you're working towards. 'We want to make videos of this game until we get tired of making videos of this game and move on to another game' is not a legit goal unless you're going to make a 'My Friend and I Shoot the poo poo to Random Games' megathread where all you do is talk over games without explaining them and, for the most part, without even talking about them. (In which case a better name for the thread would be 'My Friend and I Want to be Game Grumps'.

Though the person above me was trite, they were also correct. If you took a look at one, maybe two other LPs in this forum you would probably notice that what you're doing isn't really what normally gets called an LP around here. Obviously we welcome people to post any LP thread they want as long as it follows the rules, but if you ask for feedback we will give it to you. I'd say 'lurk more' is better advice than anything I told you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Oh cool, we have a snarky lazy smilie for that now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh cool, we have a snarky lazy smilie for that now.

Your snark is never lazy, Dish, and that's why we love you. ;-*

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
:lurkmore: is my favorite vanity smiley

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:letsplay: is mine, I'm glad we're sharing our favourites. :)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love memes

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I recorded my first video Let's Play today. It's for the game Spud's Quest, a puzzle platformer that came out last year. Please consider this a test post and give me your feedback. I'd appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE_a4JuQLM

(There are a few things I'm not completely happy with, but if I kept redoing things I'd never get this out. :sweatdrop:)

TrebuchetConscious
Aug 16, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Thanks for the information Getsuya, I appreciate it. I will to endeavor to right my wrongs and become a reformed forum poster by lurking more, and also... doing the stuff you mentioned haha.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Rush_shirt posted:

I recorded my first video Let's Play today. It's for the game Spud's Quest, a puzzle platformer that came out last year. Please consider this a test post and give me your feedback. I'd appreciate it.

You're still on the title screen after a minute of video, telling me about all sorts of stuff other than the game you're supposed to be playing. This made me bored enough to stop watching. You might want to fix that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Rush_shirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE_a4JuQLM

(There are a few things I'm not completely happy with, but if I kept redoing things I'd never get this out. :sweatdrop:)

Just pretty much going to parrot what Nidoking was saying. I get these guys did some other games, but that's what the OP is for! Also don't read the text. I know we all do it, but try to keep that to a minimum.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for your feedback guys. I did several versions of the opening but opted for the more informational one. Good to know it's safe to just jump in.

Oh, regarding using the OP for feedback, I wanted to make the LP to be accessible to any YouTuber who stumbled on it, not just goons. Hence the explanatory bit at the beginning. Not sure if that is a valid reason to do it, but that's why I did it.

I'm editing a second video that hopefully moves quicker for you. I do still read most of the text, but I cut back a bit. I don't know, text-reading is something I like in Let's Plays and wanted to emulate.

Expect the next video soon. Thanks again!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 17, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Rush_shirt posted:

Thanks for your feedback guys. I did several versions of the opening but opted for the more informational one. Good to know it's safe to just jump in.

It's not so much that it's "safe to jump in", but there's absolutely nothing happening on the title screen, so there's no reason to sit there staring at it for so long. Everything you're saying can be discussed whenever there's nothing else to say while the game is actually going - if there's something important enough that you can't cut it out, but it's boring to watch, that's a good time for interesting facts about the game's development, the company that made it, etc.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Rush_shirt posted:

I wanted to make the LP to be accessible to any YouTuber who stumbled on it, not just goons. Hence the explanatory bit at the beginning. Not sure if that is a valid reason to do it, but that's why I did it.
Here's the thing with that. Chances are good people who will stumble onto your videos as a Youtuber will probably already know what the game is and thus doesn't need an explanation. HOWEVER~ That doesn't mean you shouldn't explain some things, just have it flow more easily through the video itself. It's a struggle sure, but just keep it in mind and heaven knows everyone forgets little tidbits every now and then so if you haven't gotten into excruciating detail about every nook and cranny don't worry about that either.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Zain, you make a good point. It does seem like struggling with how much commentary to contribute is a common struggle for new Let's Players (myself included).

Nidoking, I agree that the information I said would best be kept for slow parts in the game. I'll remember that in the future.

Thanks again for the advice, you two.

Second video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVa85AyWrU

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

Rush_shirt posted:

Zain, you make a good point. It does seem like struggling with how much commentary to contribute is a common struggle for new Let's Players (myself included).

Nidoking, I agree that the information I said would best be kept for slow parts in the game. I'll remember that in the future.

Thanks again for the advice, you two.

Second video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVa85AyWrU

Ditto re. Nidoking/Zain, but having watched your 2nd video it seemed at least fine from a YT POV.

My main gripe (similar to Zain) is the reading of the text dialogue, all of it. Talk about the frog puns all you like and heck, make some up yourself but hearing you talk to yourself when I can just read it on the screen, it's frankly just not my cup of tea. If I could get more explanation, summation of the dialogue if you want to quickly move through it or at least, more of balance between game discussion and background combined with your thoughts on the game, that'd be best.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Ditto re. Nidoking/Zain, but having watched your 2nd video it seemed at least fine from a YT POV.

My main gripe (similar to Zain) is the reading of the text dialogue, all of it. Talk about the frog puns all you like and heck, make some up yourself but hearing you talk to yourself when I can just read it on the screen, it's frankly just not my cup of tea. If I could get more explanation, summation of the dialogue if you want to quickly move through it or at least, more of balance between game discussion and background combined with your thoughts on the game, that'd be best.

I agree. I will try that next update. Thanks.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Instead of fixing it in the next update go back and redo the first couple of videos. Your 2 videos in, it won't hurt to go back and redo the commentary this far into it, I think it helps when you have better first videos, you might be asking a bit much from the viewer in the hopes that it gets better.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Migeman posted:

Instead of fixing it in the next update go back and redo the first couple of videos. Your 2 videos in, it won't hurt to go back and redo the commentary this far into it, I think it helps when you have better first videos, you might be asking a bit much from the viewer in the hopes that it gets better.

That's the new plan. Thanks!

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
Here is my test post for a game called Mother 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79A2_T_wajI&feature=youtu.be

It's stuck on 95% processing. Hopefully It wil work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WitherSnow posted:

Here is my test post for a game called Mother 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79A2_T_wajI&feature=youtu.be

It's stuck on 95% processing. Hopefully It wil work.
Your audio is way too low and you keep reading all the text on screen.

Like your voice is fighting all of the in-game music and sound, but it also doesn't matter because all you're telling us are things we can read on the screen.

• Locked thread