Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

My Imaginary GF posted:

So my understanding of the current situation is this:

Wednesday, Nixon theatens martial law if Doolie don't agree to hand over command to MHP. Koster lobbies McCullah and Doolie to gently caress poo poo up. Doolie says gently caress you to Koster, McCullah says he wants to be an AG.

Thursday, County backs off so that MHP can be seen to have authority over the situation.

Friday, Doolie realizes how much Koster be loving with his house of cards, doesn't object when SLCPD demand to go back in. Riots happen.

Saturday, Nixon, under pressure from Obama, says gently caress you to SLCPD and declares state of mashal law in Ferguson, transferring command over SLCPD to Nixon. McCullah and Doolie think FBI are bugging them, refuse to do real business over the phone.

Saturday Night: Riots occur, Nixon takes blame. Riots don't occur, Nixon takes blame. Its a win-win situation for anyone who wants his office.

Hey can you provide sources for the mcCullah, Koster, and Doolie stuff? This is news to me. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

thefncrow posted:

Like these police haven't already lied about easily verifiable facts.

They have but getting this specific of a lie going at a press conference would be a hell of a thing. I mean, they could claim "injuries" if the guy scraped his hand on his gun or whatever, claiming a swollen face from a fight with no actual event is a pretty big hole to have to try and dig yourself out of afterwards.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

when did they make the claim about the cop having facial injuries? seems like a weird thing not to immediately release when the press starts showing up.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Monaghan posted:

when did they make the claim about the cop having facial injuries? seems like a weird thing not to immediately release when the press starts showing up.

They were holding his identity so it's not totally unbelievable they would hold that info back to keep him from being identified through other means.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don't understand what relevance him going for the police's gun has, if he didn't get it and then ran away, and THEN got shot.

edit: basically, why does anything he did before he got shot matter, if when he was shot he was far away and unarmed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 16, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Guys, are you really arguing with a dude with a huge red title talking about how he's racist and that is unironically saying Zimmerman was "bloody and beaten"? Dude has proven before that he'll just accept any claim that a black dude is a blood thirsty monster.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Guys, are you really arguing with a dude with a huge red title talking about how he's racist and that is unironically saying Zimmerman was "bloody and beaten"? Dude has proven before that he'll just accept any claim that a black dude is a blood thirsty monster.

Its fun.

Anyway, I would actually like to see a source on the injury thing. I have been taking his word for it but eh.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Well if we're going to look at credibility of the involved parties...
(this might have been covered before in the thread)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html posted:

The officers got the wrong man, but charged him anyway—with getting his blood on their uniforms.

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, once charged a man with destruction of property for bleeding on their uniforms while four of them allegedly beat him.

“On and/or about the 20th day of Sept. 20, 2009 at or near 222 S. Florissant within the corporate limits of Ferguson, Missouri, the above named defendant did then and there unlawfully commit the offense of ‘property damage’ to wit did transfer blood to the uniform,” reads the charge sheet.

The address is the headquarters of the Ferguson Police Department, where a 52-year-old welder named Henry Davis was taken in the predawn hours on that date. He had been arrested for an outstanding warrant that proved to actually be for another man of the same surname, but a different middle name and Social Security number.

“I said, ‘I told you guys it wasn’t me,’” Davis later testified.

He recalled the booking officer saying, “We have a problem.”

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Haha man follow my red title for my massive "racist rant" as decided by GBS 1.0.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

say no to scurvy posted:

I have to assume the facial injuries are from when he hit his face on the door of his car after he slammed it into a fat guy. A cop hitting his head and overreacting makes a ton more sense than a cigar thief trying to get the holstered weapon of an officer seated in his car.

This seems the most likely to me, but, again, no information supporting/disproving this has been released. Which is conspicuous as hell, given that the information should be available at the very least from the nature of the injuries the officer was treated for.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

natetimm posted:

They were holding his identity so it's not totally unbelievable they would hold that info back to keep him from being identified through other means.

They released the bit about facial injuries on Wednesday, while they were still holding back the officer's identity, so that's not it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

say no to scurvy posted:

I have to assume the facial injuries are from when he hit his face on the door of his car after he slammed it into a fat guy. A cop hitting his head and overreacting makes a ton more sense than a cigar thief trying to get the holstered weapon of an officer seated in his car.

It was all a misunderstanding. The officer was responding to a robery call when this young gentleman refused to move out of the way of his vehicle, and the officer attempted to prevent an accident. Unfortunately, the officer then suffered what now appear to be symptoms of a concussion after this accident, and in this state, believed that Brown was reaching for his weapon. In response, the Officer used lethal force to defend himself from a suspect that we, the Jury, know to possess the capacity for violent crime. We the jury find the accused officer not guilty on all counts.

E:

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey can you provide sources for the mcCullah, Koster, and Doolie stuff? This is news to me. Thanks

No, however, if you have between $500 and $2,500 to spare, I can direct you to some nice dinners where you'll have the chance to get a more honest picture.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 16, 2014

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Can we all at least agree that in light of the convenience store video, he deserved to die?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

watwat posted:

Can we all at least agree that in light of the convenience store video, he deserved to die?

I agree, anyone who would unleash cigar smoke on the world deserves to be put up against the wall.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't understand what relevance him going for the police's gun has, if he didn't get it and then ran away, and THEN got shot.

edit: basically, why does anything he did before he got shot matter, if when he was shot he was far away and unarmed?

That's what I was getting at earlier. I mean, unless Brown was secretly a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or something, then I'm really not seeing how he could've been anywhere near enough of a threat to require a lethal response.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I think my favorite thing about the "strongARMED ROBBERY" narrative is that the clerk didn't even call the police. He literally didn't feel threatened for it to be a problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

That's what I was getting at earlier. I mean, unless Brown was secretly a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or something, then I'm really not seeing how he could've been anywhere near enough of a threat to require a lethal response.
Has anyone ever just come down to it and said "I felt threatened even though he was thirty feet away because he was black and everyone knows how fast blacks can run"?

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
Not that it justifies anything, but have any non-police sources confirmed that the cigar guy and shooting victim were the same people?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Even if the cop got the poo poo slapped out of him, so what? He didn't shoot Brown in a scuffle, he shot him from distance while Brown was not moving and had his hands in the air, surrendering. Just because you got your feels hurt because someone slapped the poo poo out of you doesn't mean you get to gun someone down in the street.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Brown is Dhalsim. It all fits.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

say no to scurvy posted:

This is the paragraph that's printed upside down in the "answers section" at the end of Encyclopedia Brown and the case of the Gentle Giant.

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!
There was also that racist made up "drive by shooting" claimed by police behind their own street barricades, which the woman herself is saying was untrue

Sappo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is the paragraph that's printed upside down in the "answers section" at the end of Encyclopedia Brown and the case of the Gentle Giant.

Oh well thanks for spoiling it for the rest of us then! :mad:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
What ever happened to the guys with rifles in a truck or whatever?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

natetimm posted:

What ever happened to the guys with rifles in a truck or whatever?

They always get away. :argh:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ernie Muppari posted:

They always get away. :argh:

I'm assuming they were white because I can't read a sentence with "rifle" and "truck" in it without thinking about white people.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Sappo posted:

There was also that racist made up "drive by shooting" claimed by police behind their own street barricades, which the woman herself is saying was untrue

Did they ever find out who actually shot that bullet or did it mysteriously disappear before ballistics testing could be done

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

natetimm posted:

I'm assuming they were white because I can't read a sentence with "rifle" and "truck" in it without thinking about white people.

God, it was obviously a GLA technical coming in as part of a mass terror attack against small town America. Fortunately the St Louis County's MRAP and SWAT in military gear scared them off.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Gonna have another goon meet tonight

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So during the protest footage shown on NBC's new tonight I saw a dude in a fez waving a Moroccan flag. Is there some connection between the case and Morocco or was it just some random weirdo waving a Moroccan flag in the middle of suburban Missouri for no reason?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So during the protest footage shown on NBC's new tonight I saw a dude in a fez waving a Moroccan flag. Is there some connection between the case and Morocco or was it just some random weirdo waving a Moroccan flag in the middle of suburban Missouri for no reason?

there's a moorish science temple in st louis

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Not that it justifies anything, but have any non-police sources confirmed that the cigar guy and shooting victim were the same people?

Video shows cigar guy and Brown were wearing the same clothes, including the hat, and the friend Dorian Johnson admitted they were both at the store getting cigars. I believe the Police said they found the package of cigars at the scene as well, but even if you throw that out it's about as confirmed as you can get.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I didn't understand about the Martin shooting case as well is, if the basis of the defense for a justified shooting is FEELING that you are in danger, doesn't that mean "he's black and I'm afraid of blacks" becomes a worthwhile defense?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I didn't understand about the Martin shooting case as well is, if the basis of the defense is FEELING that you are in danger, doesn't that mean "he's black and I'm afraid of blacks" becomes a worthwhile defense?

Oh well of course not because...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I didn't understand about the Martin shooting case as well is, if the basis of the defense for a justified shooting is FEELING that you are in danger, doesn't that mean "he's black and I'm afraid of blacks" becomes a worthwhile defense?
Technically, no (I think).

Practically speaking, however, probably yes in some guises. I.e., lots of dog-whistling may very well be a worthwhile defense. Not that it wasn't before, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Technically, no (I think).

Practically speaking, however, probably yes.
I was asking about "technically", though. What I got out of the Martin case is that everything depends on your own personal thoughts and feelings at that moment. If they're justified to YOU at that moment, and there's no physical evidence that contradicts it, then you're in the clear. Personal prejudices are part of those thoughts and feelings, right?

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
People need to drop the college bound garbage. Based on the video of him, it is more likely he was prison bound.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

L-Boned posted:

People need to drop the college bound garbage. Based on the video of him, it is more likely he was prison bound.

Before anyone responds to this...

quote:

Anyway, I used to enjoy SA, but it is pretty much intolerable now. I am a moderate (shocking I bet to most of you). I voted for Obama in '08 but voted Libertarian in 2012 because both candidates suck. I will say this much. If the people of this country don't pull their heads out of their asses and stop getting their news from US news sites, this country is hosed. One of my friends who lives in Britain asked me why this case was such a big deal. I said because the media is like the weather channel. They are in it now for ratings, not journalistic integrity. Well, they sure got their ratings. Now the rest of us have to deal with it. So, continue to be bitter towards George Zimmerman, but your anger is misplaced.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Rachel Maddow circle jerk. And for the LSU tard, I actually had to look up what a freep actually was. Also, you're racist.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was asking about "technically", though. What I got out of the Martin case is that everything depends on your own personal thoughts and feelings at that moment. If they're justified to YOU at that moment, and there's no physical evidence that contradicts it, then you're in the clear. Personal prejudices are part of those thoughts and feelings, right?
Technically I believe those would be inadmissible, but an actual lawyer could probably clarify what the actual jurisprudence says as a technical matter. I'd think it's too hosed up for a racist to be able to say "I'm racist" and get off the hook, even for America. It's got to be coded racism--but of course prosecutors and defense attorneys know how to use the implicit racism of many Americans to their advantage and can speak that code.

L-Boned posted:

:bravo:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

L-Boned posted:

What do people who are prison-bound look like?

Thuggish?

quote:

I think my favorite thing about the "strongARMED ROBBERY" narrative is that the clerk didn't even call the police. He literally didn't feel threatened for it to be a problem.

Wait really? But maybe he left it up to one of the other witnesses in the store? Even though it was "Strongarmed" Robbery that's kinda amazing, and suspicious if so.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Neo Duckberg posted:

Gonna have another goon meet tonight

Remember, in bed with lights out by midnight!

• Locked thread