Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Working nights there's no traffic and you get the best parking spots. It does kind of gently caress with your diet though. I sometimes only get 1 meal a day, and it might be something lovely like McDonalds or Taco Bell if I'm feeling really lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Working nights there's no traffic and you get the best parking spots. It does kind of gently caress with your diet though. I sometimes only get 1 meal a day, and it might be something lovely like McDonalds or Taco Bell if I'm feeling really lazy.

I've only had one meal a day since february. Allah Rakha man, it's the best part of being back up here.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

Greatest meal. My first deployment I had the classic cheeseburger with fried egg on it every single night at midrats. Except when in liberty ports of course.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Greatest meal. My first deployment I had the classic cheeseburger with fried egg on it every single night at midrats. Except when in liberty ports of course.

Midrats on carriers were always the left over horse cock sausages from dinner. Unless they ran out, then it was beets and some bread.

Amphibs were better because the marines ate 4 times a day and demanded it.

Nite krew still best krew because you don't have to deal with everyone.

Edit: for a month or two we had a hookup with a Puerto Rican girl who cranked in the chiefs mess. She cooked so goddamn well they didn't care what she left with. Brought us double bacon cheeseburgers on fresh buns. Somehow she turned the hazelnut coffee creamers and boat cream cheese into a great hazelnut spread.

Again. Nite Krew so no one was awake to steal it from us

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 16, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

He said he did talk to the O recruiter but was turned down for GPA reasons.

Bullshit. I know officers with sub-3.0 GPAs who fly F/A-18s. Fact.

GPA is only *one* factor in an OCS application, of many.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I've only had one meal a day since february. Allah Rakha man, it's the best part of being back up here.

Holy poo poo, I've never been there. I'm going there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mid rats ruled and was usually the best meal of the day (albeit fried terrible for you poo poo) and got you swole or fat because you actually got seconds. Most the time the frozen yogurt machine was running too :kiddo:

surface.txt

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never been there. I'm going there.

It's a block from my hotel. Lunch buffet with butter chicken, channa masala and chicken biriyani until I'm sick? gently caress yea. All on a government travel card? fuq yea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Midrats on last ship was almost always chicken wheels or something of the sort.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Fuckin beans and weens! I loved that poo poo. Also on the boat we had fresh baked bread every night so the pb&j sandwiches were awesome because you'd have nice fresh bread. Midrats were pretty cool.

Fresh bread can make even chicken wheels taste good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Midrats on carriers were always the left over horse cock sausages from dinner. Unless they ran out, then it was beets and some bread.

Amphibs were better because the marines ate 4 times a day and demanded it.

Nite krew still best krew because you don't have to deal with everyone.

Edit: for a month or two we had a hookup with a Puerto Rican girl who cranked in the chiefs mess. She cooked so goddamn well they didn't care what she left with. Brought us double bacon cheeseburgers on fresh buns. Somehow she turned the hazelnut coffee creamers and boat cream cheese into a great hazelnut spread.

Again. Nite Krew so no one was awake to steal it from us

Man, when I was on the carrier midrats were actually decent. Leftovers from the day + microwave burritos and poo poo. The amphib was terrible, it was always nothing but corn dogs.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Out of the countless small boys I have been on, there was only one that had decent mid-rats. Working nights the best part for me was breakfast. I can't recall ever seeing french toast, but I don't eat that poo poo anyway.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
we always had baked beans and sausage-flavored calorie pucks for midrats, mmm mmm.

I think everything I've ever had to endure in my Navy career was worth it to see the look on my LPO's face when I handed him a calendar yesterday that displayed my intricately gerrymandered series of leave and TAD requests so that I only have two actual "work" days between now and my EAOS

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tacopie posted:

Out of the countless small boys I have peed on

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All you really had to do was change the o to an i in on.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'm standing restricted master at arms watch for 5 hours. I'm in a room, bored, with 3 bored dudes watching me watch them.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Whip out your dick and start beatin'. See if they join in.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'm standing restricted master at arms watch for 5 hours. I'm in a room, bored, with 3 bored dudes watching me watch them.

Not a navy guy....what exactly does that mean, something like armory guard detail?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tuluk posted:

Not a navy guy....what exactly does that mean, something like armory guard detail?

he is keeping an eyebabysitting on 3 dudes who are in trouble

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

tuluk posted:

He's the principal from The Breakfast Club.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

He's the principal from The Breakfast Club.

i can only hope he yells at one of them "COME ON BUDDY ONE SHOT THATS ALL I NEED JUST ONE SHOT"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Fresh bread can make even chicken wheels taste good.

Chicken wheels and fried hamsters were the best meals on the boat. The cooks hated serving them because people would eat so much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Chicken wheels and fried hamsters were the best meals on the boat. The cooks hated serving them because people would eat so much.

So many people in the wardroom would look at me like I was nuts anytime we had either because I would go whole hog on that poo poo. poo poo owned.

Lastship also had a nice tradition of wings and pizza every Saturday night in port or underway. Made weekend duty not suck as bad and was nice comafood before holiday routine underway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

So many people in the wardroom would look at me like I was nuts anytime we had either because I would go whole hog on that poo poo. poo poo owned.

Lastship also had a nice tradition of wings and pizza every Saturday night in port or underway. Made weekend duty not suck as bad and was nice comafood before holiday routine underway.

gently caress yeah. Pizza and wings night is great. It's nice to be able to sit back, watch some college football, and crush some pizza and wings.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
We always had wings on saturdays underway on my boat, too, so I never ate dinner on Saturdays because I developed and OCD-like aversion to eating with my hands on the boat. Ughh the boat is so gross I have to wash my hands now just thinking about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's why you get a slice of pizza and eat it with a knife and fork then. I mean, you're still a fag either way, but at least you're eating.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

If you had a deck of cards that wouldn't be too terrible a watch.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sir Lucius posted:

I worry that millenials and our god drat smartphones will kill Spades, the official card game of the United States Navy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Guarantee if the cdo saw him playing cards he'd be joining the restricted people he's watching.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

Yeah the marching is pretty gay. The fact that I can get in my car and drive home to Norfolk after class more than makes up for it though. :)

@Pepsi-Tan: I'm almost afraid to say but 190. Our class is basically the island of misfit toys.

poo poo man I used to be 190. Now I'm 210, can you guess who I am?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Well, finally got my foot operated on to fix some torn ligaments. HM1 told me to expect a medboard around Feb. Not really sure what result I'm hoping for since I need family-style Tricare coverage until mid-2016.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Guarantee if the cdo saw him playing cards he'd be joining the restricted people he's watching.

I was tethering my laptop to the phone and learning python.

Technically job learning.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Did they finally replace the pearl module in programming with python?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Think it's a bit of both now? Not there yet. I've been meaning to learn more python for a while now.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Pepsi-Tan posted:

poo poo man I used to be 190. Now I'm 210, can you guess who I am?

I really can't. But now I'm always going to wonder when I see you guys at formation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I love that we get to see a budding A-School romance in this thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

Well, finally got my foot operated on to fix some torn ligaments. HM1 told me to expect a medboard around Feb. Not really sure what result I'm hoping for since I need family-style Tricare coverage until mid-2016.

The PEB process takes quite a while from start to finish. If whatever you're disabling condition is rates 30% or higher, congrats on your pension and retirement. Holler at shim for more info or see if you can find the old PEB thread.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

I really can't. But now I'm always going to wonder when I see you guys at formation.

I'm gonna figure it out. I'm already collecting some open source intel. I'll give you a hint, I had a mustache

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Curriculum is totally different now. For a bit it was programming 1 was half python half c, then programming 2 was perl. Nowadays its 1 - c++, and 2 - python, but they take place 3 months apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That's good. No one uses pearl anymore. The regular expression stuff was pretty good, but the straight forward scripting of python makes a lot of things so much easier. Programming was fun -- poo poo, when I get out I might just spend my GI bill taking as many fun programming classes as I want.

EDIT: Doing some GI bill math here: If I take 9 credit hours a semester, and as long as one of those classes is in person, I can get a living allowance of $20,000 for a spring and fall term. SRB is something like 50,000 if I do it before my extension kicks in. If I get out and go to school full time and get a full time job I'll make $60,000 in 3 years. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to reenlist now.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread