Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Littlefinger posted:

Though Mearls was careful to cherry-pick the most mundane feats of Beowulf, so the "keep the fantastical out of my fantasy, TYVM" grog was strong with this one even then.

I really want them to look at the Malazan series for fighter balance. Wizards in it are probably more dangerous on the whole than DnD Wizards but the Heroic Fighter types will do things like walk through fire wall type spell that lasts for miles, come out the other side naked and weaponless because their clothes burned off and their swords melted and just beat the wizard to death with their bare hands. Or insta kill the Werewolf King with a suplex after killing his gods. Or they'll counteract a spell imprisoning a godlike being by just throwing themselves into the middle of it and short circuiting the magical energies with their body. Wizards are beings capable of wielding godlike power but at the end of the day they're mortals and can be killed by a random crossbow shot. Heroic Warriors are stabbed through the heart with poisoned daggers and slow down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So does this game actually have anything that 3e/Pathfinder/etc. etc. don't have? Apart from Unintended Skeleton Fiesta, I mean.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Really Pants posted:

So does this game actually have anything that 3e/Pathfinder/etc. etc. don't have? Apart from Unintended Skeleton Fiesta, I mean.

It's easier to play.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Played 5e for the first time last night, along with my DM and a bunch of neighborhood kids. The consensus was "it's fun, but a little bland".

From what I gather, we're back to Wizards being able to ruin poo poo with unfairly powerful spells again, and if I ever run it I'm going to have to hack the monster creation rules to death. Joy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is that most of what you just described is the stuff well-built warriors in basically any edition of D&D are already good at. They can take a shitload of damage and deal a respectable to extreme amount of it. The problem is that mages and priests can also survive a lot and deal a lot of damage, and can also teleport, fly, bring the dead back to life, summon a horde of skeletons to do their work for them, become invisible, walk through walls, breathe underwater... you get the gist.

It's not an easy problem to fix unless you design a game where everyone has magic (because you give it to every class or obliterate classes), you allow the warrior to intimidate rivers into moving or run so fast they seem to teleport, or you hamstring mages and do what games like Shadowrun do and say "you know what? nobody can teleport or resurrect the dead".

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 16, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Really Pants posted:

Advantage/disadvantage may not be mathematically ideal or whatever but it's way simpler than a million fiddly +2 and +4 modifiers and feels great, it doesn't have a million broken/overpowered/useless/dysfunctional splatbook classes and feats yet, Fighters get abilities other than "Bonus Feat", and things like ability score caps help keep the game from breaking down into crazy edge cases. Once basic and obvious errata rolls out, it'll be a far less of an absurd mess than 3E/PF, but if that's what you like about 3E/PF and you go to 4E for your balanced tactical fantasy combat I'm not sure it has anything for you.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing is that most of what you just described is the stuff well-built warriors in basically any edition of D&D are already good at. They can take a shitload of damage and deal a respectable to extreme amount of it.

Nope. A core conceit of D&D is that everyone is armed with nerf bats. In 1e it takes a sixth level fighter a minimum of a minute to deal with a first level wizard in melee. That's not respectable to extreme. At seventh level it takes them two minutes to deal with three first level wizards.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The thing is that most of what you just described is the stuff well-built warriors in basically any edition of D&D are already good at. They can take a shitload of damage and deal a respectable to extreme amount of it. The problem is that mages and priests can also survive a lot and deal a lot of damage, and can also teleport, fly, bring the dead back to life, summon a horde of skeletons to do their work for them, become invisible, walk through walls, breathe underwater... you get the gist.

It's not an easy problem to fix unless you design a game where everyone has magic (because you give it to every class or obliterate classes), you allow the warrior to intimidate rivers into moving or run so fast they seem to teleport, or you hamstring mages and do what games like Shadowrun do and say "you know what? nobody can teleport or resurrect the dead".

Not really. DnD makes fighters normal people that are talented and have magical arms and armor that carry them through, while Wizards are Magic. In this setting Badasses can do Badass things and most Wizards just steal a little badass from somebody else while fighters are mainlining it.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

I really want them to look at the Malazan series for fighter balance. Wizards in it are probably more dangerous on the whole than DnD Wizards but the Heroic Fighter types will do things like walk through fire wall type spell that lasts for miles, come out the other side naked and weaponless because their clothes burned off and their swords melted and just beat the wizard to death with their bare hands. Or insta kill the Werewolf King with a suplex after killing his gods. Or they'll counteract a spell imprisoning a godlike being by just throwing themselves into the middle of it and short circuiting the magical energies with their body. Wizards are beings capable of wielding godlike power but at the end of the day they're mortals and can be killed by a random crossbow shot. Heroic Warriors are stabbed through the heart with poisoned daggers and slow down a bit.

Well ideally, Erikson will do something with the setting as he and Esselmont did make it as a "Setting". I really want to play in that world, aside from the sadtimes both "heroic" wizards and fighters could do some awesome poo poo.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Jack the Lad posted:

Actually, turns out Bards can't inspire themselves - only their allies.

Having a Bard buddy is good, though!

e: Actually they're still the best since they can use Foresight + Lucky for a 95.7% success rate solo.
Or True Strike. Doesn't even have a verbal component that'd blow up your surprise, which a Bard will likely be able to get between PWT which a druid could provide, and their own Expertise which should go to Stealth. Foresight though, bah. Dropping a 9th level spell makes soloing any encounter probably pretty easy. It's way funnier when you have low level ambitious murderhobos with nerves of steel screwing over boss type enemies and stealing all the loot. Unfortunately the Bard would need to be level 10, one later than CoDzilla to get Contagion via Magical Secrets.

Also I was looking at the old fighter DPR charts, and they seemed low to me after I thought about checking to see how other classes would do at soloing the Adult Blue Dragon at level 13. It seems they don't take Sharpshooter or Great Weapon Master into account, even though at least sharpshooter is definitely a DPR increase, because of archery style.

Napkin math'd 12.6 damage per attack, 50.4 DPR on a level 20 EK with four attacks at +6 proficiency, 20 dex, archery style, a longbow, sharpshooter, and +2 magic weapon against 20 AC. That's at 600 ft range, too. At level 11 with everything else and +1 magic weapon it's 8.9 DPA, 26.7 DPR. On a phantom steed they could kite out then chase down the dragon without it ever getting close enough to do anything, terrain permitting. On a flying mount the dragon is hosed unless it can get home or burrow.

Also the "max skeletons controlled" column is incorrect at level 5. Since you only have one level 3 spell slot and can't yet regain it with Arcane Recovery, you max out at 4 skeletons, which would all turn on you before you can assert control in 16-24 hours because you used the long rest trick and will miss the next deadline by the minute needed to cast the spell. Even if you used your second day's 3rd level slot to reassert control over 2 skeletons, you'd only delay missing the deadline to the 3rd day.

If the DM was really evil, the skeletons would stand there and let you fizzle your only 3rd level slot before they started to eat you.

I feel like I just saved all the level 5 necromancers who'd have followed your guide. Do the rest of the columns take this into account or are you actually a mole trying to get young necromancers killed?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NovemberMike posted:

Not really. DnD makes fighters normal people that are talented and have magical arms and armor that carry them through, while Wizards are Magic. In this setting Badasses can do Badass things and most Wizards just steal a little badass from somebody else while fighters are mainlining it.

Have you ever had a Barbarian in your party in a 3E or Pathfinder game? They're hilariously badass (at not dying and killing guys, until someone casts Hold Person on them)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Jack the Lad posted:

WotC have pulled even the Google cache of the old content on their site now, and have in fact disabled caching entirely:

They just shoved everything into the archive section because they're overhauling the site. Just stick "archive." in front of the "wizards.com" part of whatever previous address you wanted and you'll go right to it.

"Fighter Design Goals" is right here and the rest of the Legends & Lore are right here.

Other things: 4e article archive, 3.5e article archive, 3e art & map archive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack the Lad posted:

Starting at level 17, a Bard/Warlock/Wizard can use True Polymorph to permanently turn into (for instance) a CR17 Adult Red Dragon, retaining all their own mental stats, class features and spellcasting.

illrepute posted:

"Well, look, it's not all bad as a fighter. Later on, your party members can polymorph you until something useful that they can also polymorph themselves into, while keeping all the poo poo that made them better than you in the first place."

I just read the spell. They don't keep that stuff. Their statistics are replaced completely.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 16, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just read the spell. They don't keep that stuff. Their statistics are replaced completely.
So how is that a downgrade for the Fighter?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No ranged attacks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

slydingdoor posted:

No ranged attacks.

No they should get the fire breath. Still the Fighter will lose all of their class features. But yeah they can still turn into an awesome Dragon. If they don't want to permanently they can flick the wizard.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

slydingdoor posted:

No ranged attacks.

I see one that's 120', one that's 60' AoE and flight @ 80'.

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they should get the fire breath. Still the Fighter will lose all of their class features.
Why?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

I see one that's 120', one that's 60' AoE and flight @ 80'.

Why?

Because their statistics are replaced with the Dragons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Because their statistics are replaced with the Dragons.
Class abilities aren't statistics. SDCoIWCh are statistics. HP is a statistic. AC is a statistic.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Woah wait, it apparently does do mental ability scores too now.

Pretty cool for a Bard, since an Adult Red Dragon has 21 Cha, but kinda eh for a Wizard, since they only have 16 Int.

Great for a Fighter, though!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

So if game statistics are only the HP, AC, etc. of the dragon, not abilities, you must not get the breath and wing attack and legendary actions and such, right? I don't think that ruling's correct.

I think class abilities are lost because Wildshape and Shapechange specify that class abilities are retained if the form can use them, and Polymorphs do not. You probably just "trade sheets" with the latter, which is still great because of the huge HP buff.

The question was how it was a downgrade, the best answer to which was losing 600ft range longbow shots. It's also harder to get the dragon's damage past nonmagical weapon resistance because of its multiple weapons I suppose.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Yeah given that Shapechange has the class abilities clause I'm guessing you do just swap sheets. I think I had Shapechange in mind when I posted about True Polymorph.

What's the world coming to when Fighters are better at something (being turned into dragons) than Wizards!? (Even if it is because they give up less).

e: That said, it's still good as prep. If you can blow your 9th in advance and start the combat as a dragon, that's 256 extra HP's worth of dragon attacks and stuff. If/when you take that damage, you get knocked into your normal form and can start casting. Just like a WoW boss or something.

e: Also, weirdly, Shapechange specifies that it doesn't give you any legendary actions or lair actions of the new form, which presumably confirms that True Polymorph does.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 16, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there stuff in the PHB about familiars? Can't see anything about them in the free Basic set, although the word is used an annoyingly large number of times in other contexts.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

mirthdefect posted:

Is there stuff in the PHB about familiars? Can't see anything about them in the free Basic set, although the word is used an annoyingly large number of times in other contexts.

Find Familiar has details - page 240.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
On that note, does the polymorph thing work with familiars?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

ProfessorCirno posted:

On that note, does the polymorph thing work with familiars?

Nope. Familiars are the dumb CR0 animals in the Basic DM MM thing like bats and sea horses.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

On the other hand you could have a Wildshaped druid whose Shapechanged themselves get both Polymorphed and True Polymorphed by party members to have a Five form raidboss.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Waits so what happens if you polymorphed into a red dragon then get enough exp to level up? Is the game even built to handle a permanently morphed party member long term?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I would imagine you level up as whatever you were before the polymorph, then nothing happens until you get back to your old form by going to 0 hp or getting dispelled.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
What's the game's expectation for the level of new characters joining an in-progress game? Does it tell you to make them at the party's level or do they start from 1? Because if you need to catch up, hell yeah do it as a dragon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PublicOpinion posted:

What's the game's expectation for the level of new characters joining an in-progress game? Does it tell you to make them at the party's level or do they start from 1? Because if you need to catch up, hell yeah do it as a dragon.

I believe they leave that up to the groups. (Though I think adventures league is one level lower.)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
In AV if you die, the group declines or can't afford to rez you, and you don't have cash either, you get to start at 1. There's also a faction rez available to 1-4 characters only.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

There are "tiers of play" 1-4, 5-10, 11-16, and 17-20 that determine which modules you can play in. There's an option to spend downtime days (which cost lifestyle gp and otherwise could be spent to learn new tools/languages, recuperate from stuff, or gain faction benefits) to jump from 4 to 5 and 10 to 11 if you want to play with friends that advanced faster than you did.

So you wouldn't ever run into a guy who could TP you into a dragon til you're top tier anyway.

Also you're pretty hosed if you die at low levels with no money, but there's always this:

quote:

Faction Charity. If the character is of level 1 to 4 and
a member of a faction, the dead character’s body can
be returned to civilization and a patron from the faction
ensures that he or she receives a raise dead spell.
However, any character invoking this charity forfeits all
XP and rewards from that session (even those earned
prior to death during that session), and cannot replay
that episode or adventure with that character again.
Once a character reaches 5th level, this option is no
longer available.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yes ritorix can you tell me the CR of the Ultroloth, Balor and Pitfiend. I want to know were the highest tier of fiends outside of the named ones lie.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PublicOpinion posted:

DM's choice.

(replace any answer to any 5e question with this)

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator
I just tried to run the Starter Set for some friends a few days ago. They both had fun, but they just complained (when asked, not out of the blue) that the rules weren't like Pathfinder or GURPS. I was really excited for 5th ed, but it's really hard to play it by yourself, I would imagine. They had fun, and I did as well, but I think they just like playing Microsoft Excel (min-maxing). I personally prefer the new rules. Anyway, do you think there's any way to convert people who like min-maxing to this game, or do I just need to find other methods of playing, like with internet randoms or finding RPG groups nearby?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
D&D 4E is the best game for Min-maxers. But some min-maxers are really just power trippers, and like to lord over other players (and even the DM). In the latter case, just show them Jack's graphs re: skeletons and I'm sure that'll get them excited.

But seriously, I'm sure your friends aren't like that. You need to figure out what it is they're really after. There's plenty of opportunity for min-max in 5E, compared to most RPGs. Are they just wanting what's familiar?

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator
Perhaps. I'm not going to push them to try it again, because although they had fun, I got the feeling they just weren't that into it. I think they just prefer World of Darkness for their casual stuff and GURPS for their complex gaming. Something like that. A mould I never fit into, but went along with. At least I can assume new D&D games will be based on the new rules, so I can enjoy them that way.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

eth0.n posted:

D&D 4E is the best game for Min-maxers.
Really? I know that the 3.5 CO boards came up with some insane poo poo, but I hadn't heard of anything particularly excessive in 4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ghostofbox posted:

I was really excited for 5th ed, but it's really hard to play it by yourself, I would imagine.

It's kind of an open secret that this is how 5e is actually meant to be played.

You read the rules, think about how they'd work out, and then talk to other people who have done the same. It's the D&D from your childhood, before you met anyone who played D&D. The game doesn't stand up so well to actual play, but they were never meant to. Buy the books, enjoy the art, reminisce about Flumphs and dragons (and imagine skeletons fighting them!), and - most importantly - just use it as the cultural touchstone it's intended to be.