Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ken's Rage 1 gave you the highlights of the FOTNS story while Ken's Rage 2 had all the superfluous side-stories crammed in there at once for volume's sake, but quantity did not equal quality either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Preview and details about Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ugh, is there any way to break an opponent's guard in DW8:XL SE? I'm getting real tired of enemies blocking my attacks halfway through a combo and strong attacks don't seem to stagger them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ugh, is there any way to break an opponent's guard in DW8:XL SE? I'm getting real tired of enemies blocking my attacks halfway through a combo and strong attacks don't seem to stagger them.

Certain moves can do it, especially grab moves like the baton has. There are also skills which make you damage during guard.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Want a quick and easy way? Weapon switch. All Switch attacks are unblockable. Yes, all of them. They even hit shield peons.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Weapons with the Cyclone skill will damage guarding enemies. And the damage is based on a percentage of the target's max health, so on higher difficulty levels it actually deals more damage than an unblocked attack.

Brony Hunter posted:

Want a quick and easy way? Weapon switch. All Switch attacks are unblockable. Yes, all of them. They even hit shield peons.

:aaaaa: I've probably got a few hundred hours logged on the game. How did I now know this?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

What weapon are you using? Not many of the weapons give much of a chance to block between hits in a combo and I'm pretty sure every weapon's strong attacks but the throwing knives will stagger the enemy to some extent.

Put velocity on all weapons and that second where the enemy drops their guard will be all you need (also try to attack from behind).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Brony Hunter posted:

Another reason why double Halberd is broken. You're invincible at start-up, and literally unblockable.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

By and large most weapons' first heavy attack break shields, except for like half the weapons the period the enemy is stunned from having their guard broken is shorter than it takes for you to start your combo making it effectively useless.

Personally I have the most success with just attacking a blocking enemy once, then running behind them. Officers expect you to combo, so they keep blocking in the same direction long enough that you can run behind them with every weapon and combo them from behind, meaning they can't just block you mid-combo either if you have a slow-rear end weapon or whatever.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Other solution is to pick people who can naturally break guards with their moves, i.e. Zhao Yun's twirly air spear impale thing, Lu Bu's face-grab or spamming the poo poo out of Zhou Tai's red sword-slash thing.

Switch attacks are pretty good too.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oh yeah, the follow-up attacks on Shadow Sprint weapons also break guards.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Also, for some weird reason Jin's Deng Ai weapon, the lance, goes through guards with a lot of it's normal attacks as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After talking with a friend of mine about Dynasty Warriors today, I remembered the one thing DW6 had that I wish they'd bring back: skill trees. I mean DW7 sort of had skill trees, sort of, but not like 6's. That was really cool and I wish they'd bring it back. Maybe I'm in the minority about it though.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Battle Bench Dragon Column DLC is out for PS4. Its utility seems kind of limited (it's a very defense-oriented weapon), but I can't say it isn't fun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

So this isn't really the thread but there's no Rot3K thread and I figure goons here might know: Were games other than XI ever released for the PC? I'm sure I remember seeing some of the ones like VIII or IX on PC and Wikipedia says most of them were available, but I can't find any trace of them anywhere. Any ideas where to look? I like XI a lot but I love the ones where you play an individual officer, and eeehhh digging out my PS2 and finding the games somewhere in the loft and :effort:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Ugghh, my hard drive failed, and Dynasty Warriors 8 on Steam doesn't seem to have cloud saving. Maaaan.

On the bright side, I had completed the first campaign for the blue team and had only done a couple of stages for the red team, so I don't have TOO much to redo if I just start from there. Except for all the equipment/levels I lost... Ah well.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Ugghh, my hard drive failed, and Dynasty Warriors 8 on Steam doesn't seem to have cloud saving. Maaaan.

On the bright side, I had completed the first campaign for the blue team and had only done a couple of stages for the red team, so I don't have TOO much to redo if I just start from there. Except for all the equipment/levels I lost... Ah well.

Could be worse. I originally bought the game for the 360. When I got Complete Edition for my new PS4, I had to redo everything.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

HJE-Cobra posted:

If you're legit annoyed by that you can use Cheat Engine to just edit back in your levels/gold/etc. It's not gonna recreate what you had exactly but it can certainly shave some time off of stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

So this isn't really the thread but there's no Rot3K thread and I figure goons here might know: Were games other than XI ever released for the PC? I'm sure I remember seeing some of the ones like VIII or IX on PC and Wikipedia says most of them were available, but I can't find any trace of them anywhere. Any ideas where to look? I like XI a lot but I love the ones where you play an individual officer, and eeehhh digging out my PS2 and finding the games somewhere in the loft and :effort:
I'm pretty sure every ROTK has come out on the PC... in Japan and Taiwan. There are English patches though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ROT3K X isn't a demanding game to run on a PS2 emulator, either.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

homeless snail posted:

I'm pretty sure every ROTK has come out on the PC... in Japan and Taiwan. There are English patches though.

Ah poo poo yeah I didn't think of that, most of them aren't in English without patches, huh? I might try and track down patches, but the emulator point is a good point to.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 15, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

After talking with a friend of mine about Dynasty Warriors today, I remembered the one thing DW6 had that I wish they'd bring back: skill trees. I mean DW7 sort of had skill trees, sort of, but not like 6's. That was really cool and I wish they'd bring it back. Maybe I'm in the minority about it though.

Nah, I really liked them in that and Ken's Rage too, it's nice to be able to upgrade characters how you want, rather than relying on the often random nature of most Warriors games.
Plus my lizard brain loves putting points in to stuff.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Ah poo poo yeah I didn't think of that, most of them aren't in English without patches, huh? I might try and track down patches, but the emulator point is a good ont to.

The english patch for rotk10 and the expac were abondoned. Its playable but lots is still untranslated.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Kitfox88 posted:

If you're legit annoyed by that you can use Cheat Engine to just edit back in your levels/gold/etc. It's not gonna recreate what you had exactly but it can certainly shave some time off of stuff.

I dunno, I'm hesitant using Cheat Engine, what if I get a virus?? I tried downloading an installer from CNet but it was blocked by Chrome, and downloaded an installer from cheatengine.org and it's blocked by AVG. I'm paranoid about this!

But on the other hand I don't want to get all those levels and gold again... Sigh.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

In addition to the above, all charge 1 attacks break guard.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Any consensus on the last 2 dynasty warriors:gundam games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

madpanda posted:

Reborn is way easier but otherwise has basically all the same content + more, so go for it, since it wasn't like DWG3 was particularly hard.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

madpanda posted:

3 is pretty and introduces a lot of series, but the gameplay's pretty average, and the map design is literally 5-10 boxes connected by corridors. Reborn has tons of stuff and the gameplay's fun but it's stupidly easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can mitigate the lack of difficulty in Reborn by swapping suits and pilots a lot (which the game encourages you to do) and once you've cleared all the alternate mode levels you can alter the difficulty rating of each individual stage, though by that point you're probably sick of it and there's not much to do except grinding for cards.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't understand people saying Reborn is easier than 3, it feels exactly the same as how I remember 3: easy at anything but the highest difficulty, then suddenly total bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I don't understand people saying Reborn is easier than 3, it feels exactly the same as how I remember 3: easy at anything but the highest difficulty, then total bullshit.

It is easier for a few reasons.

A big one is the introduction of Burst Mode, which is insanely overpowered. It makes characters go from merely powerful to absurdly powerful. Another is that Mobile Armors are hilariously broken even by the standards of DWG. Also everything hits relatively softer and seems even easier to stunlock.

It's mostly Burst Mode though, because you can just cycle between SP Attacks and Burst Attacks almost infinitely.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's true, but I think it's balanced out by how much easier it is to suddenly lose any mission where you have to protect Field A to a stray guerilla unit. It's been years since I played 3, but I don't remember having to run back and forth to babysit fields nearly so much there.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Seems weird to talk about Zelda Warriors here. But I'm asking because I'm wondering whether the mechanic used for bases in it-Kill X enemies to reveal the captain, kill the captain, claim base-has been used before now?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Seems weird to talk about Zelda Warriors here. But I'm asking because I'm wondering whether the mechanic used for bases in it-Kill X enemies to reveal the captain, kill the captain, claim base-has been used before now?

Sounds exactly like Ken's Rage 2.

Maybe Hyrule Warriors isn't going to be so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Sounds exactly like Ken's Rage 2.

Maybe Hyrule Warriors isn't going to be so good.
The difference is Hyrule Warriors doesn't run at five frames per second.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Bloodly posted:

This has been more or less the same as all Dynasty Warrior Gundams.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

The difference is Hyrule Warriors doesn't run at five frames per second.

Neither did Ken's Rage 2? :shrug:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So, in DWG:R, how does one kill a battleship on 5+ star difficulty without taking like, more than ten minutes? Because I've finally started to get to the higher star difficulty mission in Ultimate Mode, and they seem to take for-loving-ever to take down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Neither did Ken's Rage 2? :shrug:
I somehow remembered that game being laggy as hell and then looked it up and it apparently runs fine.

Maybe the game just felt like it had massive slowdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

I somehow remembered that game being laggy as hell and then looked it up and it apparently runs fine.

Maybe the game just felt like it had massive slowdown.

Can't argue with that. And it was still speedier than its predecessor.