Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nebby posted:

The video of the dude obviously shows it was a sleeper hold. But it's a derail.

lol

A sleeper hold may refer to:

A type of chokehold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

nebby posted:

A sleeper hold, which is a type of chokehold??????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_hold

Wikipedia posted:

Blood choke

Blood chokes, carotid restraint or sleeper holds, are a form of strangulation that compress one or both carotid arteries and/or the jugular veins without compressing the airway, hence causing cerebral ischemia and a temporary hypoxic condition in the brain.[5] A well applied blood choke may lead to unconsciousness in a matter of seconds. Compared to strangulation with the hands, properly applied blood chokes require little physical strength.

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!

nebby posted:

That is also an illegal grip so its a distinction without a difference? It's been disallowed for the NYPD to use for like 20 years...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

nebby posted:

Can you share these because unlike what idiots replying here are assuming I'm genuinely interested in the actual testimony that is out there.
No you're not. It's laid out in the goddamn Wikipedia entry and in the first page of Google results. You can't be that interested. I have zero interest in spoon-feeding you, or enabling some ridiculous "please educate me" pantomime with one of the worst posters in the Trayvon Martin threads, who just so happened to show up in this thread, accuse everyone else of rushing to conclusions, then proclaim half-heard accounts of unknown provenance picked out of a post-incident video definitive while saying "look, I know lots of cops, no cop would ever do this."

:frogout:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Sappo posted:

That is also an illegal grip so its a distinction without a difference?
my understanding is sleeper hold which does not compress airway but only blood supply is a permitted technique in NYPD

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Sappo posted:

That is also an illegal grip so its a distinction without a difference?

Yeah uh, I don't really see a difference between "police killed him by strangling him like this" versus "police killed him by strangling him like that". Unless you're arguing that somehow that guy didn't die, that is, in fact, an example of "police killing a black dude".

EDIT: ^^ I don't choke people very often but I don't see why the gently caress "let's cut off blood to the brain" could be meaningfully safer than "let's cut off air to the lungs".

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i already said he was good at what he's doing but that isn't enough for him :smith:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

nebby posted:

A "sleeper hold" is a chokehold. It's a blood choke as opposed to an air choke, but it is 100% a choke, and the policy that bans NYC police from using chokes doesn't differentiate.

It was an illegal choke.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i dunno maybe millions of people have just imagined police officers abusing their power over communities in the us for over a century?

edit: yes! wrestling move definition chat go!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Edit: Delayed reporting on a previous feed.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 17, 2014

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Horking Delight posted:

Yeah uh, I don't really see a difference between "police killed him by strangling him like this" versus "police killed him by strangling him like that". Unless you're arguing that somehow that guy didn't die, that is, in fact, an example of "police killing a black dude".

Which is crazy regardless because the reason behind it is even more insulting.

He first was selling illegal cigarettes?
second he said he couldn't breathe, a huge way to tell you are doing the hold incorrectly.
its a derail but so are the multiple people jumping in saying, "You're wrong and here is the right wacky speculation instead"

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Elotana posted:

No you're not. It's laid out in the goddamn Wikipedia entry and in the first page of Google results. You can't be that interested. I have zero interest in spoon-feeding you, or enabling some ridiculous "please educate me" pantomime with one of the worst posters in the Trayvon Martin threads, who just so happened to show up in this thread, accuse everyone else of rushing to conclusions, then proclaim half-heard accounts of unknown provenance picked out of a post-incident video definitive while saying "look, I know lots of cops, no cop would ever do this."

:frogout:
fair enough. later. zimmerman thread is repeating itself here though, most likely the story will end up being more nuanced than the 'killed in cold blood racist rage' meme that was there with zimmerman then and here now.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Oil! posted:

According to KTVI 2, there is a sniper around the BBQ joint where the report of the armed guys was. My uneducated position is that they this the guy might still be there, but if it is near the protesters it could explain some tension. On the other hand, why does a PD have a sniper that can shoot from the top of a car?

KTVI is rerunning footage from earlier.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

nebby posted:

fair enough. later. zimmerman thread is repeating itself here though, most likely the story will end up being more nuanced than the 'killed in cold blood racist rage' meme that was there with zimmerman then and here now.

drat you were good until this minus 50 points see me after class

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Cease to Hope posted:

KTVI is rerunning footage from earlier.

Sorry, I will edit and close my previous posts.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

thefncrow posted:

A "sleeper hold" is a chokehold. It's a blood choke as opposed to an air choke, but it is 100% a choke, and the policy that bans NYC police from using chokes doesn't differentiate.

It was an illegal choke.
"Carotid restraint is not prohibited by the NYPD,[12] while the chokehold tactic is prohibited by the New York Police Department's protocol.[13]"

revisiting the video though I'm not qualified to tell the difference but certainly looks like airway constriction to me so I was prob wrong in thinking the cop was acting within protocol.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Anyway, the whole point of this derail is so that posters will get bogged down in finding the exact details of NYPD policy regarding proper physical force used against suspects instead of focusing on the most important point, that cops loving killed yet another black man, this time one who was proven on video to be non-violent, and was in fact begging to be left alone.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

nebby posted:

"Carotid restraint is not prohibited by the NYPD,[12] while the chokehold tactic is prohibited by the New York Police Department's protocol.[13]"

revisiting the video though I'm not qualified to tell the difference but certainly looks like airway constriction to me so I was prob wrong in thinking the cop was acting within protocol.

weren't you leaving?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Oil! posted:

Sorry, I will edit and close my previous posts.

It's understandable. I posted the KTVI feed as live until I noticed it was a replay myself.

In lighter news, regarding CNN reporting that it was just smoke until well after CS canisters were found:

quote:

"We only tweet facts"~CNN

https://twitter.com/MissZindzi/status/500920259231379456

e: VVVV Staaahp.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Everyone above this post is an incredibly gay homo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Let me just cut off flow in this guys carotid for a bit. A bit more, Mhmm that's the stuff, man what a day I'm having, almost done here.... almost...

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Neo Duckberg posted:

that is an accurate assesment

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!

nebby posted:

my understanding is sleeper hold which does not compress airway but only blood supply is a permitted technique in NYPD

chokeholds and strangleholds have been disallowed for use since like 1993 and a cop got sent to jail for killing someone accidentally in 1994 with a blood choke

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/new-york-city-17/nypd-patrol-guide-11302/

section 203-11

http://www.pbs.org/pov/everymothersson/special_nypd_force.php

quote:

Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds. A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air.

There are no exceptions because, you know, they kept killing people with them

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Neo Duckberg posted:

thank you for honouring my lifestyle and posting choice

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Neo Duckberg posted:

How did you know?

Anyway Did the drone have a camera on it or something?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

nebby posted:

You are putting a lot of faith in the police and I don't think it's warranted.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Of course when you say it like "cutting off blood flow to his brain" it SOUNDS really bad, but I am sure it's a completely normal part of police work, like pointing machineguns at crowds of people.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

hey Neo Duckberg did that marine protesting in dress blues look legit?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I don't know I never was a Marine.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Your call.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvB1nWLIUAEobxE.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBwbPCIUAAvvjX.jpg

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
screw it

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 17, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

nebby posted:

The footnoted source for that claim doesn't actually establish that the carotid restraint is legal. The only mention is the sentence "Establish the proper application of carotid restraints" as part of a course description in a list of training courses offered by the state police. The chokehold ban is New York City policy, not state policy, so state training materials that mention the teaching of the hold is not an indication that NYC allows them.

It's a disgusting abuse of police power even if it had been technically legal, but the fact that it's actually not just means we get to see how deep the rot runs with the decision to bring up charges.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 17, 2014

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

nebby posted:

Because you trolled both of them in the exact same way.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Woozy posted:

Because you trolled both of them in the exact same way.

Maybe the truth is in the middle.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Horking Delight posted:

Maybe the truth is in the middle.
fwiw if it turns out the cop actually shot the kid as is claimed then jesus of course he is guilty of murder and deserves to rot in prison. i am not trolling, i genuinely do not understand why people are not skeptical of the story that a cop gunned down a kid with his hands up and do feel that there is a high liklihood the cop did fail to perform his job properly but did not actually murder someone surrendering.

i know some ppl think those who questioned zimmerman's guilt were trolling but i certainly was not. i was not convinced he certainly murdered the kid in cold blood or was guilty of murder, i did not feel the evidence was sufficient to show it beyond a reasonable doubt. my assessment of the evidence and the burden of proof for that claim was also the same conclusion drawn by the jury so it seems kind of ridiculous to claim i was trolling when it turned out the obvious outcome i said was going to happen actually happened.

(sorry I know I said I was leaving, i'm out now, but defending myself from accusations of trolling, which i wasn't)

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

nebby posted:

Nebby.

This entire situation is very unfortunate. There's a lot of anger and hurt as well as a lot of confusion. I realize you are saying there are two sides to a story, and I won't dispute that. There's a lot of healing to work towards, and it has to be really rough out there for a lot of people, Darren included. I realize I may get flack for saying things are rough for Darren as well, but it doesn't make it not so, especially in complicated situations. I think everyone would hope that we all can work through this together. It will take a lot of work but it can be done.

I just hope everyone involved can make the right choices that need to be made right now - so we can all work towards healing. And I am including all parties and sides involved in all of this.

I'm not going to post further on this topic due to how emotions are running high, but I do hope that things can come to a peaceful ending.

Sorry to soapbox Nebby. :)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

nebby posted:

fwiw if it turns out the cop actually shot the kid as is claimed then jesus of course he is guilty of murder and deserves to rot in prison. i am not trolling, i genuinely do not understand why people are not skeptical of the story that a cop gunned down a kid with his hands up and do feel that there is a high liklihood the cop did fail to perform his job properly but did not actually murder someone surrendering.

i know some ppl think those who questioned zimmerman's guilt were trolling but i certainly was not. i was not convinced he certainly murdered the kid in cold blood or was guilty of murder, i did not feel the evidence was sufficient to show it beyond a reasonable doubt. my assessment of the evidence and the burden of proof for that claim was also the same conclusion drawn by the jury so it seems kind of ridiculous to claim i was trolling when it turned out the obvious outcome i said was going to happen actually happened.

(sorry I know I said I was leaving, i'm out now, but defending myself from accusations of trolling, which i wasn't)

seems the talk of detention made you clean up your act

you're doing good work again kid

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

nebby posted:

have you ever considered just not proclaiming that you're going to flounce away from a thread forever?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, poo poo, 82 posts happened in the last hour or so since I checked the thread! Something must have gone down (again)!

Oh, wait, it's another racist idiot who can't believe that cops are less than perfect and can be violent, aggressive shitheads who have no respect for human life if the human in question has the wrong amount of melanin in their skin.

Oh, wait there was one good post: keep up with the awesome photgraphy Duckberg! I love your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Of course when you say it like "cutting off blood flow to his brain" it SOUNDS really bad, but I am sure it's a completely normal part of police work, like pointing machineguns at crowds of people.

Hey, they use choke holds in UFC and that's a highly popular sport. If it's good enough for a refereed sport with medics on hand and the option to tap out then it's good enough for some cop without any sort of medical back up or option to tap out.

Also, Muay Thai has a stance where you hold your head above your head. I'm sure the officer knew that and felt justifiably threatened when Michael Brown intimidatingly raised his hands above his head.

• Locked thread