Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GrossMurpel posted:

A Witcher 2 question: I'm gonna start my second playthrough and am wondering which crafting materials I should keep.
On my first playthrough, I stashed absoltuely everything and had something like 10,000 orens worth of materials in the chest that I never used in the end.
So, what materials should I keep for crafting/which items should I consider crafting? (crafting only, I'll probably keep all the reagents for potions and bombs around).
Oh and this playthrough will be Dark Mode so I'll need those sets.

Off the top of my head: Keep all oil, silver, hardened & studded leather, robost cloth and diamond dust. You'll use a fair amount of cloth and leather, but not all of it. You'll use some iron and timber, but not a whole lot. You might never use meteorite ore.

Don't use Necrophage blood or skin on potions. Turn them all into oil.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPEam_Jt4I

Some more gameplay footage, all new, I think. It's new to me. Includes the appearance of the werewolf and water hag, both of which I don't think have been shown before except for tiny scenes in the big trailer.

Awesome. Don't know if it's changed but I felt animations when moving around looked a lot better in this video. Also nice to see enemies have the proper reaction when being sprayed in the face with Igni. I noticed running and fighting decreases stamina too. Oh, and a bomb that mutes "monster special abilities". Looks like monster hunting will be more tactical and involved than ever.

Can you tell us how equipped potions and mutagen potions will work? It sounds like equipped potions will be used on the fly while mutagen potions work more like potions in 2? Or do mutagen potions give permanent effects?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh my god, you actually see him pull the knife out and you see it in his hand when he shows it to a guy. Heh.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Off the top of my head: Keep all oil, silver, hardened & studded leather, robost cloth and diamond dust. You'll use a fair amount of cloth and leather, but not all of it. You'll use some iron and timber, but not a whole lot. You might never use meteorite ore.

Don't use Necrophage blood or skin on potions. Turn them all into oil.

I guess a better and more direct question would be: do I need to craft any armor or weapons besides the Dark Mode sets? In my firsst playthrough, I think I only crafted one armor and a sword in the last act and nothing else.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

I guess a better and more direct question would be: do I need to craft any armor or weapons besides the Dark Mode sets? In my firsst playthrough, I think I only crafted one armor and a sword in the last act and nothing else.

Armor, no. I played dark mode only crafting the dark armors. Dark armors are way better than vanilla stuff. You'll still need armor reinforcements though.

Weapons, that's complicated. How much do you want those check marks in your journal? Money might be super tight by Act 3 if you craft all the dark swords too. Also, they're not very good. The Act 1 swords are a bit better than the best available vanilla swords, but if I remember correctly, the Act 2 & 3 swords are not. Also, the dark effect that you get when you pull out a dark sword quickly gets annoying is gently caress. So it's up to you. I eventually said "gently caress it" and stopped crafting the dark swords at all.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Armor, no. I played dark mode only crafting the dark armors. Dark armors are way better than vanilla stuff. You'll still need armor reinforcements though.

Weapons, that's complicated. How much do you want those check marks in your journal? Money might be super tight by Act 3 if you craft all the dark swords too. Also, they're not very good. The Act 1 swords are a bit better than the best available vanilla swords, but if I remember correctly, the Act 2 & 3 swords are not. Also, the dark effect that you get when you pull out a dark sword quickly gets annoying is gently caress. So it's up to you. I eventually said "gently caress it" and stopped crafting the dark swords at all.

Good to know I won't have to focus on other armors.

About the swords: Weeper is straight up the best silver sword and Mourner is the best steel sword I can get on PC on a Iorveth playthrough, according to the wiki. So I should probably just craft those and get the mod that removes the visual effects if I absolutely cannot handle them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Oh yeah, no Dancer on Iorveth, but I think the Forgotten Vran Sword is still clearly better than the dark sword when you take effects into account. And for silver, I always go with Deithwen in Act 3 because of the dragon and gargoyle bonuses.

But yeah, go ahead and craft the Act 1 swords and see what the dark effect looks like. I hated it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 13, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Oh yeah, no Dancer on Iorveth, but I think the Forgotten Vran Sword is still clearly better than the dark sword when you take effects into account. And for silver, I always go with Deithwen in Act 3 because of the dragon and gargoyle bonuses.

But yeah, go ahead and craft the Act 1 swords and see what the dark effect looks like. I hated it.

Oh, I hadn't taken effects into account. And Deithwen seems to be a great idea for act 3, indeed.
Thanks for the help!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Act 1 dark swords are def worth it, they are better than anything you can get in the act and the health steal effect can be of big help at the beginning of Act 2. But yeah the Act 3 dark swords are really not worth it and for act 2 they might be somewhat useful if you can craft the whole set early but otherwise youll find better.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fun fact: if you enter a cutscene with the dark swords out, the sounds and filter won't go away until the end of that cutscene.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you mod it out it, that's fine. But the added stats and effects of the Act 1 dark swords are not worth having to put up with the dark effect for me. I find it that awful.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dark Mode is actually really lame to be honest. If you need money you can kill harpies over and over during during act 2 and sell the hundreds of feathers that you get (least that's how I did it)

Dark Mode just kind of sucks and adds a ton of grinding to the game but ymmv

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cmykjester posted:

Dark Mode is actually really lame to be honest. If you need money you can kill harpies over and over during during act 2 and sell the hundreds of feathers that you get (least that's how I did it)

Dark Mode just kind of sucks and adds a ton of grinding to the game but ymmv

I wanna play it mainly for the difficulty. I played through the prolog in Dark Mode once on an abandoned playthrough and it made even Hard feel way too easy.
I'm not crazy enough for Insanity so I'm sticking with Dark

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You can play Dark Mode and just ignore all the dark equipment entirely, I've done that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is this "dark effect" that you speak of? I never see myself playing dark mode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

What is this "dark effect" that you speak of? I never see myself playing dark mode.

Every moment that you have a dark sword unsheathed, the screen gets dark and mostly colorless with a smokey effect, and there's a constant growly sound.

It's cool for a moment, but would be really annoying to play the entire game like that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 14, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lycus posted:

Every moment that you have a dark sword unsheathed, the screen gets dark and mostly colorless with a smokey effect, and there's a constant growly sound.

It's cool for a moment, but would be really annoying to play the entire game like that.

Yeah that would be neat for a second after you draw the weapon or something but if it is persistent uhh no thanks.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

For what it's worth, for those that are replaying Witcher 2, and haven't heard of it - there's a full combat rebalance mod.
It makes Igni channelled, arrows automatically redirect, and bodies stay.
Here's the link.

Made by an employee of CDPR, so it's quality stuff.

Definitely worth another play-through just with that mod. Makes all kinds of differences.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
That mod is horrible and shouldn't be played by anyone.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I thought this was interesting - we got our first look at Ciri in the E3 trailer but CDPR put out a "cosplay guide" a few days ago that shows her character model in detail.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/news/the-witcher-cosplay-guide-ciri/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ciri's got some scars.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Picture C of the facial details finally made me realize that Ciri is basically a female clone of Geralt as far as appearance goes.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Heels. Always got to have heels even when the character is supposed to be a fighter. This is going to annoy me to no end.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 17, 2014

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso
Bit of a shot in the dark... but if anyone bought the Witcher 2 for Mac from the App Store, where the heck are the saved games stored? My Google-fu only turns up people looking for Witcher 1 saves or Witcher 2 on PC. I've scoured the Library folder looking for CD Projekt Red stuff but can't find anything.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

PCGW lists "~/Library/Application Support/com.vpltd.TheWitcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/gamesaves/" as the location. Kind of blows my mind that CDR would place the save files in the OSX equivalent of AppData but, you know, ports :shrug:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cross-Section posted:

PCGW lists "~/Library/Application Support/com.vpltd.TheWitcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/gamesaves/" as the location. Kind of blows my mind that CDR would place the save files in the OSX equivalent of AppData but, you know, ports :shrug:

Quite a few PC games store their saves in Appdata, by the way, so it's not like it's a particularly weird thing.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Senjuro posted:

Heels. Always got to have heels even the character is supposed to be a fighter. This is going to annoy me to no end.

Don't forget the combat corset! Very important not to look flabby on the battlefield.

Edit: VVVV Fair point. I've only read the first 2 books that were published in english, so I don't know Ciri's whole story.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 16, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well, there are kinda story reasons for Ciri liking fashionable, nice clothing.

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso

Cross-Section posted:

Thanks for the info.. but apparently I don't have that folder. Tried going there directly with Go to Folder, no luck. Same thing if I manually navigate to Application Support. Really odd.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Senjuro posted:

Heels. Always got to have heels even the character is supposed to be a fighter. This is going to annoy me to no end.

Those are riding boots I think.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Not quite. They're a fair bit higher and less practical.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The hole near hilt of sword is pretty stupid. It doesn't look like a practical way of trapping enemy's blade.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

I'm sure a whole bunch of male characters will be seen wearing those boots in the game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure a whole bunch of male characters will be seen wearing those boots in the game.

This might be news to you but did you know that in this series you can have sex with basically every single character that has a vagina?

Maybe worrying about a slight heel on some boots is a little weird, in comparison.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hopterque posted:

This might be news to you but did you know that in this series you can have sex with basically every single character that has a vagina?

Maybe worrying about a slight heel on some boots is a little weird, in comparison.

Or maybe people should call out garbage character design when they see it, that way we'll get less garbage character design in the future.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Did you guys just miss my post about how Ciri has story reasons for liking nice, fashionable clothing even if it may not be entirely perfect for fighting in? Calm down.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Did you guys just miss my post about how Ciri has story reasons for liking nice, fashionable clothing even if it may not be entirely perfect for fighting in? Calm down.

Hopefully it's a better reason than this:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I agree, "story reasons" is totally gonna make it better and addresses the concerns of someone who is mildly annoyed by a character's appearance.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There was a guy who wore an entire castle around his belt.

I think I'll be ok with high heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why would she need story reasons? It's not like women in the Witcher universe normally dress conservatively and practically. Hell, Ciri's probably showing less skin than any other female character in the series.

• Locked thread