Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

For me, it's not about being scientifically accurate but keeping a good distinction between the bending styles. I'm already miffed enough as it is to see we have a lavabender, somebody who straddles earth and firebending.

I really can't understand how you can be when like, this is an established thing. We've seen people bend lava before. We've also seen that mud falls into a similar category where both water and earthbenders can bend it. There's no reason that things should be locked to "it only works with one element" when it's really easy to point to niche cases where it should be reasonable for it to fall across bending categories.

I mean Psychic Bloodbending or the Combustion folks is at least straight-up a case of 'these people have the power to break the rules." Everything with lavabending is straight-up viable within the rules of bending as provided, we just don't have an answer for why nobody else does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Difficulty? Or didn't think about it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dude789 posted:

I think Ming Hua, was originally a swamp bender.

God I wish they'd bring those guys back.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Think of how they would've advanced in the last 60 years... They would have tv cameras all over there filming hillbilly fishing, wives of swamp people etc

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Babygravy posted:

Think of how they would've advanced in the last 60 years... They would have tv cameras all over there filming hillbilly fishing, wives of swamp people etc

Mark my words, there is a very offensive radio show about a stereotypical guy from Foggy Bottom, and every one in Republic City loves it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

For me, it's not about being scientifically accurate but keeping a good distinction between the bending styles. I'm already miffed enough as it is to see we have a lavabender, somebody who straddles earth and firebending.

Lava is just liquid rock. The resulting fire is the product of superheated materials coming into contact with non-heated materials. There's no major physical difference between earth/lava and water/ice. It's more surprising it was just now introduced.

At no point does "firebending" come into it. He's not bending the flames in any way shape or form. If waterbenders can turn liquid water into ice effortlessly then it would follow that an earthbender could do the same but just require way more training/strength given the differences in the melting points of the substances.

Oh, and am I going crazy or are the airbender tattoos a nod to the Red Tornado, DC comics hero with elemental wind powers active since the late 60s? I can't find anything online, so I don't know if Red Tornado is a nod to something else going further back and he and airbenders share a common point of reference.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 17, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
When we're talking about theoretical bending, the questions we should be concerned with first and foremost are:
  • Does it look cool?
  • What kind of :krad: kung fu would you do to accomplish it?
Because if you can't answer those, what's the point? :colbert:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SirKibbles posted:

Bumi runs into alot of the problems Sokka did combat wise.

I think they could have solved this by making them actually engage in something akin to a sword fight with a bender. Admittedly this is more feasible with water and earth opponents, but maybe have the sword be able to parry the air and fire attacks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd imagine phase shifting is easier for water than others due to the philosophies behind each element. Water is all about being flexible, adaptive, and going with the flow. Being able to change your method of attack from the three elemental states, therefore, is an important part of the technique. Earth, meanwhile, is firm, rigid, and forceful. There's no flow to be seen here. Maybe for something already naturally flowing, like mud, but forcibly changing some earth from non-flowy to flowy would take an incredible amount of focus and outside the box thinking.

I think location might play a big role too. Waterbenders using ice, when most of them are polar, is rather obvious. Unless an earthbender lived in a volcano, they'd be able to watch the movements of the lava way less often.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
RE: The bison flying off.

I thought that they realized how much of a threat P'Li was, and went to go rescue Tenzin/Kya/Bumi. I assumed one of them was going to fly and gently caress up that airship, but then that didn't happen and oh well. I think there's a solid chance that they stop the Red Lotus from killing Tenzin in the beginning of the next episode.

Then again, if they do that, there will be less dramatic tension when Korra goes to give herself up...so perhaps not.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Babygravy posted:

Avatar with blade runner elements?

Ok I'm down.

I'd throw some money down in a KickStarter for this. Given that Avatars live for ~150 years, the next reincarnation should be smack dab in a futuristic setting, which opens up all kinds of possibilities (tech vs bending, space travel, etc).

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DNA bending. You heard it here first, folks!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The most I'd want is an epilogue involving an old Korra in futuretown reflecting on how she oversaw the birth of this freaky new techno-world.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

The most I'd want is an epilogue involving an old Korra in futuretown reflecting on how she oversaw the birth of this freaky new techno-world.

Especially if they just happen to get Sunrise to animate it as if it were an episode of Cowboy Bebop.

:flashfap:

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
An Avatar space-race could be interesting...

"Next time on the Legend of Korra, Avatar Korra has to mediate the concerns of the Water Tribes as the United Republic Space Program prepares to send astronauts* to the moon!"

*or whatever they'd be called

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Egregious Offences posted:

An Avatar space-race could be interesting...

"Next time on the Legend of Korra, Avatar Korra has to mediate the concerns of the Water Tribes as the United Republic Space Program prepares to send astronauts* to the moon!"

*or whatever they'd be called
...okay that actually sounds kind of amazing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They would be called starbenders, obviously. :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Close combat airbending looks pretty :krad:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

Close combat airbending looks pretty :krad:

Only because of the action lines added by the animators. Actually watching an airbender-on-airbender fight would be pretty boring, because you wouldn't be able to see the wind. You'd just hear a lot of whooshing and see stuff get torn apart and flung around by invisible blasts of force... okay, yeah, that actually sounds pretty cool. :sweatdrop:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Spergatory posted:

Only because of the action lines added by the animators. Actually watching an airbender-on-airbender fight would be pretty boring, because you wouldn't be able to see the wind. You'd just hear a lot of whooshing and see stuff get torn apart and flung around by invisible blasts of force... okay, yeah, that actually sounds pretty cool. :sweatdrop:

I always took the force lines to be clouds formed by the rapid change in air pressure.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gangringo posted:

I always took the force lines to be clouds formed by the rapid change in air pressure.

If they ever attempt a live action film again then air bending should generate sonic booms and vapour trails.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Actually I assume that plenty of dust and bits of debris could be visible indicators of bending gusts.

Babygravy posted:

Swamp people driving pickup trucks :allears:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Book 3 Finale: It's a terrible day for rain.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Babygravy posted:

That reminds me: it would be really, really interesting to see an Avatar coming-of-age story set in the age of television. Think about it. The Avatar is automatically one of the biggest VIPs on earth. There would be speculation on basically every facet of their identity from the moment of the previous Avatar's death. Name (there's a million Lee's!), sex, race, ethnicity, ancestry, hobbies, favorite foods, favorite sports team, etc. There would probably be entire betting rings built on Avatar Speculation. Journalists would scalp each other in the streets trying to get the scoop on their identity before it's officially released.

And think of the frenzy that would pop up around their official unveiling. For most people, that would quite literally be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It would definitely be televised. Live. On every channel. Everywhere. Can you imagine how nervous a prospective 16-year-old Avatar would be shortly before their identity is broadcast to the entire world at once? Would they get media coaching? Would they have to make a speech, or would they just smile and wave? What if they have crippling stage fright? And what about afterwards? Would they even be able to live a normal life? Would the White Lotus provide bouncers and bodyguards to keep the paparazzi from hounding them?

So much potential. :allears:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Toshimo posted:

Book 3 Finale
But why did you post a gif from the Book 1 Finale!?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Kind of wanting to see a modern-day Avatar being interviewed on TV by a descendant of the radio announcer guy who sounds just like him, and it's a CNN-style overlay crammed with talking heads and news and stock tickers. And then there's talking-head 24 hour cable panelists talking about the Avatar's clothing and composure, and just the whole modern media frenzy. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DrSunshine posted:

Kind of wanting to see a modern-day Avatar being interviewed on TV by a descendant of the radio announcer guy who sounds just like him, and it's a CNN-style overlay crammed with talking heads and news and stock tickers. And then there's talking-head 24 hour cable panelists talking about the Avatar's clothing and composure, and just the whole modern media frenzy. :allears:

Old-as-gently caress Korra punching a rude Pierce-Morgan-type in the face, audience cheers.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

Old-as-gently caress Korra punching a rude Pierce-Morgan-type in the face, audience cheers.
End series, all the Peabodies.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kelly-style Politoons about the Avatar.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Korra would be The Worst at media relations.

KITSUNE™ News posted:

REPORTER: So, Avatar Korra, I'm told you support anti-discrimination laws for Sandbenders. Do you hate freedom, or do you just like terrorists?

KORRA: ...yeah, no. This interview is over.

REPORTER: But-

KORRA: *eyes start to glow, camera feed abruptly cuts off*

Technical difficulties. Please stand by! :sweatdrop:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

Korra would be The Worst at media relations.
I'm sorry, I think from that example you mean The Best.
Way better than that Raiko rear end in a top hat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Egregious Offences posted:

What would happen if you killed the moon spirit while the astronauts were on the moon?

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
the next avatar is a disillusioned sandbender orphan who eventually achieves his/her long dead dream of going to space in the never-going-to-happen third avatar series aimed at a more mature audience.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Spergatory posted:

That reminds me: it would be really, really interesting to see an Avatar coming-of-age story set in the age of television. Think about it. The Avatar is automatically one of the biggest VIPs on earth. There would be speculation on basically every facet of their identity from the moment of the previous Avatar's death. Name (there's a million Lee's!), sex, race, ethnicity, ancestry, hobbies, favorite foods, favorite sports team, etc. There would probably be entire betting rings built on Avatar Speculation. Journalists would scalp each other in the streets trying to get the scoop on their identity before it's officially released.

And think of the frenzy that would pop up around their official unveiling. For most people, that would quite literally be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It would definitely be televised. Live. On every channel. Everywhere. Can you imagine how nervous a prospective 16-year-old Avatar would be shortly before their identity is broadcast to the entire world at once? Would they get media coaching? Would they have to make a speech, or would they just smile and wave? What if they have crippling stage fright? And what about afterwards? Would they even be able to live a normal life? Would the White Lotus provide bouncers and bodyguards to keep the paparazzi from hounding them?

So much potential. :allears:

New idea! They turn it into an Avatar Truman show style. Identify the new avatar, place them inside a giant dome and contain them there through their ignorance, broadcast the development , life, high school, family interactions etc to the entire world. Oh god I just created avatar mini inverse inside of the show. A show in a show, so meta?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

New idea! They turn it into an Avatar Truman show style. Identify the new avatar, place them inside a giant dome and contain them there through their ignorance, broadcast the development , life, high school, family interactions etc to the entire world. Oh god I just created avatar mini inverse inside of the show. A show in a show, so meta?

I keep checking the thread hoping to see if the finale got leaked, and I'm treated to this poo poo. Only 5 more days :sigh:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Be thankful it hasn't leaked in shifty quality in black and white, you'd still watch it and be pretty sad about doing it.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

First Bass posted:

I keep checking the thread hoping to see if the finale got leaked, and I'm treated to this poo poo. Only 5 more days :sigh:

The Zaheerforthepeople tumblr leaked (?) a spooky quote from "the journals of Xai Bau" that may relate to what the Red Lotus has in store for Korra, if that interests you :shrug:

No clue if it's legit or not.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And the first quote from the guru pretty much settles speculation about Tenzin. Plus given the use of 'venom' in that first quote and the finale title it seems plausible that we've discovered the final plan.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Babygravy posted:

Be thankful it hasn't leaked in shifty quality in black and white, you'd still watch it and be pretty sad about doing it.

If the audio levels weren't so wonky (and there wasn't a ton of poo poo covering the frame), those B&W leaks of Doctor Who with the half-finished effects and lack of ADR would be amazing. I especially love the quiet moments when there's supposed to be some unneeded exposition they haven't dubbed in yet. Its such a delightful throwback to the classic episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

If the audio levels weren't so wonky (and there wasn't a ton of poo poo covering the frame), those B&W leaks of Doctor Who with the half-finished effects and lack of ADR would be amazing. I especially love the quiet moments when there's supposed to be some unneeded exposition they haven't dubbed in yet. Its such a delightful throwback to the classic episodes.

:psyduck: Am I the only person who can see thread titles?

• Locked thread