Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The poor guy (along with Jenna Coleman) hasn't had a good night's sleep in a week of touring.

He told me to call him Peter, and you can see his arm around my shoulder! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
From Phantasy Star Online 2's livestream cosplay competition:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paladinus posted:

Peter Capaldi looks absolutely thrilled to be there. :allears:

It's the company, not the event. Capaldi's been a mad Who fan for more than 40 years.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, I went to the Doctor Who World Tour event in NYC yesterday, so here's some more pictures of myself! More pictures - including some people who are not me - will get posted as I find them.

reminder that Dr Who is loving garbage beloved by the grossest, most boring trash whiteness has to offer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

reminder that Dr Who is loving garbage beloved by the grossest, most boring trash whiteness has to offer

So who's your favorite doctor?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Neo Mara posted:

So who's your favorite doctor?

Dr. Ugs

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shhhhh he'll go away on his own.

Just talk poo poo about him in TFR.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is there some sort-of goon program where you get a stipend for making GBS threads on Doctor Who whenever it comes up in a thread? No matter how benign the fan expression there's always someone who comes along to try and put everyone down for it like it's their job.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doctor Who is just mostly garbage. Hell, the Sixth Doctor's TV stories are almost ENTIRELY garbage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh no doubt. It's just weird that there's always a goon who thinks that Doctor Who fans don't already know that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There seem to actually exist Doctor Who fans who, in fact, don't already know that. Mostly younger ones. The majority of the people in that line, for instance, were very much uncritical fans - they had their preferences, of course, but they'd watch anything with their favorite Doctor(s) in it.

Meanwhile, I can barely sit through Six's best TV stories - I listen to his radio adventures, which are much better-written and you can't see the coat.

EDIT: Hell, there are some very loud internet Who fans who get, like, profoundly upset at any "negativity", real or percieved, about Doctor Who. They're emotionally stunted on some level, obviously, either due to being literal children or due to suffering some profound mental imbalance, but they exist and they'll comment very loudly, en masse on any remotely critical writings that get on their radar. They'll get all indignant and offended at you being "mean" to [the writers, the BBC, the fans, whatever]. It's so weird.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Aug 16, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: Hell, there are some very loud internet Who fans who get, like, profoundly upset at any "negativity", real or percieved, about Doctor Who.

He's so sad and lonely and majestic, we must protect him!! :argh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's so sad and lonely and majestic, we must protect him!! :argh:

I meant the show, not the character. Though they feel that way about the actual Doctor Whos, too, despite them being, you know, fictional.

Often it's the same poo poo that goes into defending Power Girl's boob-window with in-universe arguments. "That's the way she CHOOSES to dress," nerds say. "Can't she own her own sexuality!?" they cry out, actively ignoring that her dialog, characterization, and appearence are all overwhelmingly created by dudes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

A lot of the most annoying doctor who fans seem to be mostly into the new series and barely aware it was a thing pre-2005. There are fewer terrible bits in the newer stuff, but it's still nowhere near perfect. It seems to tie into the weird obsession with a stupid caricature of britishness that mostly translates to drinking a lot of tea and watching sherlock and doctor who.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Aug 16, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: Hell, there are some very loud internet Who fans who get, like, profoundly upset at any "negativity", real or percieved, about Doctor Who. They're emotionally stunted on some level, obviously, either due to being literal children or due to suffering some profound mental imbalance, but they exist and they'll comment very loudly, en masse on any remotely critical writings that get on their radar. They'll get all indignant and offended at you being "mean" to [the writers, the BBC, the fans, whatever]. It's so weird.

I bet if I went to my tumblr and posted how I never liked Matt Smith, I'm gonna get it bad and hard(I actually never liked Matt smith's version of the Doctor,every other doctor is OK for me).

And thanks for linking Karin Olava, she does an amazing cosplay, and I'm actually surprised she actually shaved her head. That's loving dedication.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Now I feel bad for making fun of DoctorWhat. I didn't know he was practically a child :(

DoctorWhat posted:

Often it's the same poo poo that goes into defending Power Girl's boob-window with in-universe arguments. "That's the way she CHOOSES to dress," nerds say. "Can't she own her own sexuality!?" they cry out, actively ignoring that her dialog, characterization, and appearence are all overwhelmingly created by dudes.

You could also say she doesn't represent women and that any discussion of the problematic nature of her tits is ultimately intellectual masturbation (which is objectively less fun that physical masturbation, something people also do when they see Powergirl's tit window).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Now I feel bad for making fun of DoctorWhat. I didn't know he was practically a child :(

I don't feel bad about making fun of you for being... so many things. Don't worry about it. And I have a youthful face.

Irish Joe posted:

You could also say she doesn't represent women and that any discussion of the problematic nature of her tits is ultimately intellectual masturbation (which is objectively less fun that physical masturbation, something people also do when they see Powergirl's tit window).

You COULD say that. You could ALSO say that Irish Joe has three eyes and four buttocks, and then masturbate (metaphorically or literally) about them.

Neither of these activities will get you anywhere in life.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Aug 16, 2014

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

This is the Matt Smith look a like, Matt Elliot, right?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Doctor Who fans and Bronies have more than a few things in common, but most people find (adults who watch) Doctor Who more palatable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cool XCOM cosplay, but if that's the gear they're packing they're going to die.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kwyndig posted:

Cool XCOM cosplay, but if that's the gear they're packing they're going to die.

Maybe that's the joke?

:xcom:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
PYF Cosplay photo thread: People Like poo poo that others think is weird, WHO GIVES A gently caress?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Catts posted:

Doctor Who fans and Bronies have more than a few things in common, but most people find (adults who watch) Doctor Who more palatable.

Well there's a lot fewer pedophilia implications--yes from the show where an ancient space wizard travels in a tiny box with a pretty girl--to Doctor Who than MLP. Plus general angophile fashion mimicry looks a lot more classy and tolerable to the eyes than putting on neon pastels to look like your favorite background unicorn or whatever, at least until they decide it has to be Victorian and/or Steampunk-style mimicry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What I hate isn't that you found that picture, but how little time it probably took.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Catts posted:

Bronies are the worst, but I want to say I'm about to fire up X-Com EW again, and this cosplay is loving cool. The alien blood splatter on the taped magazine is a nice touch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I know a guy who wears a pony Doctor Who t-shirt at work. He only drinks alcohol if it's blue and that's all you need to know about him.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Paladinus posted:

I know a guy who wears a pony Doctor Who t-shirt at work. He only drinks alcohol if it's blue and that's all you need to know about him.

Windex is blue...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I didn't care for Superbad either so I can't blame you for wanting to avoid the dude.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, I went to the Doctor Who World Tour event in NYC yesterday, so here's some more pictures of myself! More pictures - including some people who are not me - will get posted as I find them.

Come dude you shoulda went full-hog and permed your hair. :colbert:
Although you look like you'd be able to do a prefect 5th Doctor...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Come dude you shoulda went full-hog and permed your hair. :colbert:

I probably will for NYCC.

quote:

Although you look like you'd be able to do a prefect 5th Doctor...

Two reasons why not:

1) If I don't do Six, no one else will. With great coats comes great responsibility.
2) I'm allergic to beige.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I probably will for NYCC.

That sounds like a great scene in an 80s comedy where you go into a black salon with a picture of Colin Baker and tell the stylist "make me like this" and the lady gives her co-workers a "what's with this cracker?" look as jaunty pop plays in the background.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

mind the walrus posted:

That sounds like a great scene in an 80s comedy where you go into a black salon with a picture of Colin Baker and tell the stylist "make me like this" and the lady gives her co-workers a "what's with this cracker?" look as jaunty pop plays in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46N_aMlXH8
From the film Mannequin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

:3:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Colorado really seems to like its Vehicular Cosplay:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Hopefully nobody minds a selfie post of semi-posed con photos but I just got back from GenCon and I'm really happy with how my new costume turned out. :)

I was very pleased to see a likeness of myself on this man's arm.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

McPantserton posted:

Hopefully nobody minds a selfie post of semi-posed con photos but I just got back from GenCon and I'm really happy with how my new costume turned out. :)

Didn't catch you guys there this year, but I had injuries so I didn't spend as much time wandering as I normally would.

Yours looks great in pictures and the costumes in general at Gencon keep getting better.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
poo poo, I totally saw the crane game guy at Gen Con. drat, we coulda done a secret handshake or something.

• Locked thread