Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Can't wait for Kuroko's Basketball to take the same spin as Prince of Tennis did. Literal Chaos Dunks. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I challenge ViggyNash to do these tennis infoposts for a few episodes of Prince of Tennis.

:haw:

You'd better be paying me. All contributions will go towards copious amounts of Advil.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Emalde posted:

Can't wait for Kuroko's Basketball to take the same spin as Prince of Tennis did. Literal Chaos Dunks. :getin:
Sadly it feels like KB is going to end before it gets that silly.

Maybe if there's a college sequel.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Sadly it feels like KB is going to end before it gets that silly.

Maybe if there's a college sequel.

Sounds like someone hasn't been keeping up with the manga. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nah, I read the manga. KB is pretty silly but not Prince of Tennis silly. It's more Eyeshield 21, plenty of superhuman highschoolers but little outright magic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

Nah, I read the manga. KB is pretty silly but not Prince of Tennis silly. It's more Eyeshield 21, plenty of superhuman highschoolers but little outright magic.

Yeah, I agree with that, but there's still the zone mk. II that's getting hyped up, so I'd say there's still a tiny room for doubt.

I fell off following Prince of Tennis really early on, so I always assumed stuff like killing the dinosaurs were just really elaborate visual metaphors. Was that not the case?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, I agree with that, but there's still the zone mk. II that's getting hyped up, so I'd say there's still a tiny room for doubt.

I fell off following Prince of Tennis really early on, so I always assumed stuff like killing the dinosaurs were just really elaborate visual metaphors. Was that not the case?

You're right, it's just flourish for the "better than anyone in reality but not quite magical" things they're doing, and from what I understand the super crazy stuff like the dinosaur one you mention only showed up in some non-canon movie.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So, Haikyuu 14. How do I GIF an entire episode? :|

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

darkgray posted:

So, Haikyuu 14. How do I GIF an entire episode? :|

I don't know, but if you ever find out how I'll help.

Words cannot express how much I love this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Somebody please gif the Haiykuu scene where their tears explode from their eyes, I've never been so happy with the delivery of a joke from this show as I was then.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That whole scene is incredible, from beginning to end, but here you go (linked because you should really watch the episode!).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

And oh gosh, Sukima Switch is doing the new ED and/or placeholder OP song. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Not much to talk about in this week's episode since it was mostly talking and drama, so I guess I'll give my impressions of Araya from what we know so far.

What we know is that he is a hard hitting power player, a-la Andy Roddick in his early days of bashing the ball as hard as he can (and setting some new serve speed records in the process). After a couple years of bashing, everyone got used to it and Roddick quickly became irrelevant at the higher levels, even after he hired tennis legend Jimmy Connors and restructured his entire game.

This is how I think the next (possibly 3) episode(s) will go: Maruo will be overwhelmed by power, Maruo will learn to control the power, Maruo will learn to use the power to his advantage with superior technique to effectively redirect the ball, Maruo eventually wins and collapses on the court. Given how ridiculously build the man is, I doubt Araya will run out of steam, so it'll be a matter of outplaying him and winning quick points, ideally winning in straight sets (it won't happen because ~drama~, and because Maruo isn't used to 3 set matches).

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ace of the Diamond has stumbled onto the thing I dislike the most when it comes to shows about sports. The game/match that goes on for way too many episodes. I think its been about 6 or 7 episodes just for this one game, and theres still at least one more to go. Thats not including the 2 or 3 weeks where the show didnt air. It took about 15 minutes of the episode to throw 4 pitches.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 13, 2014

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ace of the Diamond also replays the same event two, sometimes three times before they move on from it. How many times do we have to see the ace take the mound before he throws a pitch? The end of last episode, the cold open of this one, and again after the opening theme? :mad:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah it has gotten almost as bad as Bleach filling time with recaps. It is a shame since I thought it was paced pretty well for a sports show before this current game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep of Haikyu!! OP and ED were kind of disappointing, not nearly as hype as the first ones. Episode wasn't as amazing as last week either, but as soon as they actually started playing volleyball in the last like three minutes it got good. Inter-highs in sports anime always take a long rear end time but as long as it's mostly volleyball I think we'll be in for a good ride.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Definitely looks like the remaining Haikyuu episodes will be taken by the tournament.
I'm honestly a bit confused by the sudden introduction of the girls' volleyball team. What role do they have?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

nielsm posted:

Definitely looks like the remaining Haikyuu episodes will be taken by the tournament.
I'm honestly a bit confused by the sudden introduction of the girls' volleyball team. What role do they have?

being adorable

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wish someone else was doing the subs for the volleyboys show because this had me very confused because it showed them scoring points every scene

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i wish someone else was doing the subs for the volleyboys show because this had me very confused because it showed them scoring points every scene

Wow, how the gently caress they managed to flip the Kanji translations is beyond me. I almost didn't spot the mistake because it was so stupidly simple.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

I didn't catch that at all. I just assumed the name below the higher number was Karasuno.

So I didn't do a tennispost last week, so I'm doing a double feature again. The first on will be pretty long since it's the Araya match.

First of all, Ei's "Take Down Araya File":

1) Slow starts because he needs to get fired up.
- I'd also add "doesn't want to tear his shoulder off" as another reason. Stretching or not, going full-power right off the bat is a terrible idea, but in Araya's case, power shots are probably what's most comfortable.
- Countering with quick, aggressive returns is a good idea since his movement won't be at peak shape either, and because it takes advantage of his slow start.

2) Slow down the game because he's impatient.
- Ok, that's kind of a dick move, but Eichiro needs all the advantages he can get.

3) Contests of endurance.
- Makes implicit sense; he's a heavy hitter, so he'll tire out during long points and hopefully make a mistake.
- As Ei notes, his game is perfect for an contest of endurance. This will probably be his best strategy throughout the match since Araya can only get more tired.
- "Aim for deep center, at his feet!" This forces Araya to have to step back, meaning his shots will have a little less power and the ball will have to travel longer. This also limits the kind of angles available to pass with.

A note about that last tick. There's a new pro player on the tour, a Canadian named Melanie Bouchard, whose entire game revolves around being as aggressive as possible. More often than not, she will be hitting groundstrokes while standing inside the baseline, often called no-man's land. As soon as she gets the chance, she'll move in and take the ball out of the air, coming to the net in control of the point. Unfortunately, she's super cocky and stubborn about her game so when she went up against Kvitova in the Wimbledon finals this year, a veteran player who was really on a role this tournament, she got her poo poo wrecked in straight sets.

4) Be willing to concede points now and then to reduce the mental damage.
- With a player like Araya, you're going to be passed by the occasionally impossible groundstroke or ace. Just move on with the knowledge that it's impossible for him to do that every time.

5) Keep the tempo down while throwing in surprises.
- Well, an underhand serve is pretty surprising. Since literally no one does it. Because the surprise is less useful than the popcorn you just handed your opponent. Unless you do it really well, an underhand serve is not worth the risk.
- But the sentiment makes sense. If Ei can keep him off balance mentally, he won't be able to get into his groove.

Now Araya does something rather interesting. He gets pissed off and challenges the umpire's call. Up front this just makes him look like an angry, spiteful rear end, but, as the show notes, it's more calculated than that. Simply put, this is Araya finding a different way to get himself fired up while also resetting the mental advantage Ei had. It's not unlike the antics of a certain John Mcenroe. Of course, he's not always that bitchy or violent about it, but his antics did spawn commercials this this and another that got removed from the internet for whatever reason :shrug:. (It was a National Car Rental commercial if anyone can find it.)

Speed and power was the modern game. This was back in the last decade. But now we've got players like Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic who have as much speed an power as the rest, but they also have the technique to fly right by them, and everyone else is starting to catch up. It makes sense that the show is a little behind the times since it's an adaptation, but oh well. It's not like the studio was putting that much effort in to begin with, so I didn't really expect them to do any kind of research.

Unfortunately, it'll still be pretty effective against an amateur like Ei who doesn't have the physical capacity to keep up.

Playing like Iwasa could help. Though unintentional, his style served to keep the opponent guessing what he might do next since there wasn't much of a pattern to follow, unless you know what he was really trying to accomplish. If Ei can keep Araya off balance, Araya might not be able to overwhelm Ei with a powerful shot, giving him time to take control of a point, or at least predict Araya.

Looks like Araya gives no fucks though.

I'll do the next episode tomorrow, got stuff to do.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 21, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, Haikyu!! was satisfying this week. Peanut gallery getting interrupted by a quick doesn't get old.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wish haikyu!! was an hour long and on every day of the week

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Is it me or did the animation in Takuma's match in this week's episode of Baby Steps (ep. 17) look different? It seemed a lot more fluid? Dynamic? Maybe it was that it wasn't cutting between mostly still shots of each player but rather showing the whole court, but you could see lots of details like them shifting their balance and footing. It felt like it stood out.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mo_Steel posted:

Is it me or did the animation in Takuma's match in this week's episode of Baby Steps (ep. 17) look different? It seemed a lot more fluid? Dynamic? Maybe it was that it wasn't cutting between mostly still shots of each player but rather showing the whole court, but you could see lots of details like them shifting their balance and footing. It felt like it stood out.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that too, it was certainly much nicer animation that normal. Helped highlight how those two guys are (relative) badasses even though they didn't show that much of their match, cool touch.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mo_Steel posted:

That's because the animation was very likely rotoscoped, or at least that's the way it looked to my eye. The animation for Baby Steps is not normally all that great (isn't it Pierrot who does this one?) so I wouldn't be surprised if they used that technique for more complex motions.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Neeksy posted:

That's because the animation was very likely rotoscoped, or at least that's the way it looked to my eye. The animation for Baby Steps is not normally all that great (isn't it Pierrot who does this one?) so I wouldn't be surprised if they used that technique for more complex motions.

Yeah it's Pierrot and low budget even for them. And I agree about the use of rotoscoping, though it's used really nicely here.

:lol: at Maruo dropping bombs on his parents at dinner.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah it's Pierrot and low budget even for them. And I agree about the use of rotoscoping, though it's used really nicely here.

:lol: at Maruo dropping bombs on his parents at dinner.

Rotoscoping is totally valid when used correctly. I didn't find it used badly here, it's just jarring to see so many frames and naturalistic movement suddenly appear in a show that normally does just serviceable animation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Neeksy posted:

So if they rotoscoped it, what source did they use? A professional game? In that case, could anyone perhaps identify it?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haikyu!! was so hype this week :woop:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

they are just loving with us now right?

how does this keep happening?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Strange Quark posted:

PoT is what got me into this genre, and I loved(still love and rewatch) to this day. I always assumed the "special" moves and poo poo were just incredibly insane metaphores to make watching more interesting (i.e. "it moves like a snake!", showing a detailed snake biting someones arm off, etc.).

In fact, it made the movie more interesting because the final match had the ship having mechnical problems that blended into the match making it seem like the EXTREME TENNIS was destroying the ship, which I thought was quite clever.

I think Baby Steps is basically Inui's (from PoT) story, and I just assume it's the same person.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I love how Hinata explains things. He just makes it so visual.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was looking for that gif! Thank you.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was behind so I watched 5 episodes of Haikyuu!! tonight.

I...I think I should go lie down for a while.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, Oikawa is such a good antagonist, and I just noticed that his voice actor is Hisoka in Hunter x Hunter and my god it's perfect.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Holy poo poo that dream! I've been out of college for 14 years and I still have that same loving dream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread