Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay I got the melee one, but how do you activate the flying kick and hadokens? Do I have to powerstance my fists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The flying kick was probably the running attack and I bet the hadoken was L2, same as every other special attack. I'm pretty sure that was the power stance animation in the video.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Nobody's been banned or ever will be.

I'm like 95% sure I have been banned since nobody has been able to give me a convincing explanation as to why I can only ever connect to other "banned" players in multiplayer and since Namco support literally told me I was banned in an email. For some reason most people just straight up refuse to believe this can happen despite tons of people reporting it.

That being said, it's still clearly doesn't happen to most people who use CE for whatever reason so knock yourself out if you want to I guess.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Okay I got the melee one, but how do you activate the flying kick and hadokens? Do I have to powerstance my fists?

Powerstance L2 is hadoken, running/backstep attack is the flying kick.

Also the hadoken is a projectile, so make sure you don't also activate touhou mode or you'll do 100k damage with one L2 by accident.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't know what I'm doing wrong then, because L2 gives me the slow wind-up shoulder charge.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thumbtacks posted:

Powerstance L2 is hadoken, running/backstep attack is the flying kick.

Also the hadoken is a projectile, so make sure you don't also activate touhou mode or you'll do 100k damage with one L2 by accident.

Touhou mode?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Annath posted:

Touhou mode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qok1XHaDYBQ

Bullet Hell

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Small and Blue posted:

I'm like 95% sure I have been banned since nobody has been able to give me a convincing explanation as to why I can only ever connect to other "banned" players in multiplayer and since Namco support literally told me I was banned in an email. For some reason most people just straight up refuse to believe this can happen despite tons of people reporting it.

That being said, it's still clearly doesn't happen to most people who use CE for whatever reason so knock yourself out if you want to I guess.

You got a canned response from a support team who can't even tell you if it's an actual ban or a Bone of Order ban. That email isn't evidence for anything.

You can't exactly blame people from being skeptical that this is some kind of ban protocol when you have guys running around who literally crash the games of others en masse go on their merry way, whereas some random fellow who makes some slight edits winds up screwing up his game. It makes no logical sense.

With From's foolishness is this area now bordering on legendary status, we're right back to people being scared that they can't use Gedosato again (since many people think it or Metacap also does it). I doubt I could even release a no-side-effects trainer to fix the +14 weapon crashes without people being terrified they'd be banned for using it. That's just dumb.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey Tallgeese, could you take that CE table Genocyber posted and tweak it to automatically find and replace one of the 3 thingamajiggers it edits? The ring/cestus/fists? Cuz I have no idea how to use CE to do a find/replace function.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sorry, I do not have access to a computer that can run Dark Souls II until August 26th at the earliest. It's why I haven't put out anything for the +14 crash.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tallgeese posted:

Sorry, I do not have access to a computer that can run Dark Souls II until August 26th at the earliest. It's why I haven't put out anything for the +14 crash.

drat, that sucks. You're the Helpful Hacker :)

Oh well. With classes starting in 3 days, I should probably be scaling back my Vidya time anyway.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

You got a canned response from a support team who can't even tell you if it's an actual ban or a Bone of Order ban. That email isn't evidence for anything.

They can't/won't tell anything more specific because it's the Namco Bandai US support team who presumably just asked the Japan-based From software server team if this or that steam ID is banned or not.

E: I mean, do you really think that their standard canned response to someone asking if they are banned from their game is "Yeah, sure, whatever"

quote:

You can't exactly blame people from being skeptical that this is some kind of ban protocol when you have guys running around who literally crash the games of others en masse go on their merry way, whereas some random fellow who makes some slight edits winds up screwing up his game. It makes no logical sense.

I'm pretty sure it's not a "ban protocol" so much as them manually banning people in waves every now and then, immediately after I got banned I ran into a whole lot of other people who got the exact same issue at exactly the same time. How they figure out who to ban is impossible to know but I guess that is where the whole From being incompetent business comes in.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I formatted my computer and lost my DaS2 saves.

Hold me, thread.

On a more serious note, what's the fastest way to get my stuff back? Use a hacked save that starts with everything, or something like that?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Tallgeese posted:

With From's foolishness is this area now bordering on legendary status, we're right back to people being scared that they can't use Gedosato again (since many people think it or Metacap also does it). I doubt I could even release a no-side-effects trainer to fix the +14 weapon crashes without people being terrified they'd be banned for using it. That's just dumb.

Maybe the people at from subscribe to that theory of totalitarian control where you deal out severe punishments randomly. The random aspect keeps the majority of people terrified of doing anything.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not a "ban protocol" so much as them manually banning people in waves every now and then, immediately after I got banned I ran into a whole lot of other people who got the exact same issue at exactly the same time. How they figure out who to ban is impossible to know but I guess that is where the whole From being incompetent business comes in.

How can you tell who's banned and who isn't just from invading them?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Small and Blue posted:

E: I mean, do you really think that their standard canned response to someone asking if they are banned from their game is "Yeah, sure, whatever"

We're talking about members of the same parent company who put an answer in their database a week after the game was released on console saying that people who megamule would be banned in short order, which has apparently taken months to come into effect if it even has.

They also have no idea how Soul Memory works when asked.

So I would say that is not exactly a long shot.

E:

White Phosphorus posted:

Maybe the people at from subscribe to that theory of totalitarian control where you deal out severe punishments randomly. The random aspect keeps the majority of people terrified of doing anything.

1984 would be a different story if you could Steam Family Share yourself away from the wrath of Big Brother in five minutes with no repercussions, that's for sure.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 17, 2014

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Nikolaos posted:

How can you tell who's banned and who isn't just from invading them?

The theory that people have had about the "ban" is that From puts the banned players into some kind of a shitlist where the server only matches them up with each other.

Basically, when the "ban" happened to me the amount summon signs I saw/people I could invade suddenly dropped dramatically to a fraction of what it was normally. The few people I did get matched up with were all either blatantly cheating or running into the same issue when I asked them. At the same time, there were a bunch of threads posted in various Dark Souls forums with people complaining about the same thing. At the time the most common explanation people had was that the matchmaking servers were somehow bugged.

This was about a week ago and by now if I log into the game from the banned steam account there is basically no online activity at all. I assume this is because everyone who got banned has by now figured out the family sharing trick and created new steam accounts.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Supposedly people also make alt accounts on PS3 to ban evade as well.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

The theory that people have had about the "ban" is that From puts the banned players into some kind of a shitlist where the server only matches them up with each other.

Basically, when the "ban" happened to me the amount summon signs I saw/people I could invade suddenly dropped dramatically to a fraction of what it was normally. The few people I did get matched up with were all either blatantly cheating or running into the same issue when I asked them. At the same time, there were a bunch of threads posted in various Dark Souls forums with people complaining about the same thing. At the time the most common explanation people had was that the matchmaking servers were somehow bugged.

This was about a week ago and by now if I log into the game from the banned steam account there is basically no online activity at all. I assume this is because everyone who got banned has by now figured out the family sharing trick and created new steam accounts.

What hacks did you do exactly? Have you tried using a bone of order?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Nikolaos posted:

What hacks did you do exactly? Have you tried using a bone of order?

Used CE to change my character names and add upgrade materials and invasion items. Bone of Order can only be used if you disconnect from PVP too many times and since that wasn't my problem the game won't let me use one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Out of curiosity, is the name more than 16 spaces?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Looks like the longest one I have is 28 spaces.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It's kind of sad that 4chan softbun memes are believed by people but it's almost worth it for

White Phosphorus posted:

Also

KoldPT posted:

I formatted my computer and lost my DaS2 saves.

Hold me, thread.

On a more serious note, what's the fastest way to get my stuff back? Use a hacked save that starts with everything, or something like that?

Get the mule from here: http://pastebin.com/KFk5qX0z
Make sure to follow the instructions closely or try a youtube video because the install can be complicated for some people I guess.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I guess I could believe them banning for extended names since that would be obvious, but man that would be stupid... except for the fact it's part of a remote crash exploit that is. They should be able to tell the difference though.

They really have no way of telling that someone else didn't just drop those items, since drops are persistent across shutdowns. So banning for item drops would also be foolish of them.

This is what I mean though. People have gotten away with so much worse, yet supposedly others are being banned for harmless name changes. It makes no sense.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 17, 2014

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

This is what I mean though. People have gotten away with so much worse, yet supposedly others are being banned for name changes. It makes no sense.

As you said yourself though it makes perfect sense if you just assume From has no idea what they are doing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Someone pointed out to me that the Mail Breaker has tremendously higher backstab and riposte damage than other rapiers, are there any other weapons which have a similar trait where they have better crits than the rest of the weapons in their class?

The Mail Breaker is a pretty useful secondary weapon since its huge base damage buff because of this and its fast shield-piercing heavy attacks along with the 0.5 weight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've only spent three hours playing this game and it's amazing already. I think I either skipped the tutorial because I ignored all the grey doors at the start or there wasn't one at all.

Also I have a generic question: if you die and then rest at a bonfire before recovering your bloodstain does it stay there or do you lose it?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've only spent three hours playing this game and it's amazing already. I think I either skipped the tutorial because I ignored all the grey doors at the start or there wasn't one at all.

Also I have a generic question: if you die and then rest at a bonfire before recovering your bloodstain does it stay there or do you lose it?

Your bloodstain will always stay where it is until you die again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cool thanks, and what about those grey doors at the start? I walked past them cause I saw a big monster off somewhere in the cave and didn't want to mess with that.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
They're just little tutorial zones to teach you mechanics. You don't have to fight any of those big monsters right now.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What makes Santier's spear so busted?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What makes Santier's spear so busted?

Have you broken it yet?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It had everything. Great DPS for PvE, good reach and wide hitboxes, relatively safe. They have since nerfed the overall damage but its still a very good weapon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It had everything. Great DPS for PvE, good reach and wide hitboxes, relatively safe. They have since nerfed the overall damage but its still a very good weapon.

No, they buffed it in the last patch. Has 385 damage when Raw. That said, I do wonder if they nerfed the modifiers on its moves or something, cause it doesn't really seem much stronger than how it used to be.

SHISHKABOB posted:

That entire area was the tutorial area. Did you see the small stone columns? Those have messages which explain stuff.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I spent like 30 to 45 minutes breaking Santier's Spear on the console. I'm too lazy to do it again on the PC. Any advice other than playing a podcast or something over it?

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I spent like 30 to 45 minutes breaking Santier's Spear on the console. I'm too lazy to do it again on the PC. Any advice?

Join the rat covenant and go to town on the now invincible and non-aggressive Mastodon knights in Doors of Pharros. It should break in no time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

I spent like 30 to 45 minutes breaking Santier's Spear on the console. I'm too lazy to do it again on the PC. Any advice other than playing a podcast or something over it?

The method I've always used which is really fast is warp to the Crestfallen's Retreat in the forest of giants, go up to where the Heide Knight was/is and kill the hollows there one by one in the same spot so their corpses stack up. Hit that pile with you slow downward attacks and your durability will go down in no time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Have you broken it yet?

Of course. It doesn't seem particularly amazing compared to my Black Dragon Sword

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

That entire area was the tutorial area. Did you see the small stone columns? Those have messages which explain stuff.

Oh I saw the first one but not the other ones. The game is pretty easy to get the hang of though thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Knight of Arboria posted:

Join the rat covenant and go to town on the now invincible and non-aggressive Mastodon knights in Doors of Pharros. It should break in no time.

This is what I do. You have to go to Pharros to pick up the weapon anyway. Take advantage of that durability bug!