Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Good Citizen posted:

Social security is a bigger percentage of the budget than the department of defense. So is Medicare/medicaid

While true, it always irks me when we frame things this way, yes it's a factual statement but the US government should be spending that proportion of it's money on the health and welfare of citizens. The American understanding always seems to implicitly accept that whatever is the biggest percentage of spending MUST be overspending and should be cut.

No we just don't need to spend so drat much on war machines that will never be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

RuanGacho posted:

While true, it always irks me when we frame things this way, yes it's a factual statement but the US government should be spending that proportion of it's money on the health and welfare of citizens. The American understanding always seems to implicitly accept that whatever is the biggest percentage of spending MUST be overspending and should be cut.

No we just don't need to spend so drat much on war machines that will never be used.

I agree. I think getting the numbers right is important, though. I remember reading some survey where they asked conservatives and liberals to guess at the budget percentages. Conservative vastly overestimated 'entitlement' spending and liberals vastly overestimated military spending. A number like 80% is just so far out there that it has no basis in reality. If people are just going to throw scary numbers out there then it's impossible to have a conversation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

icantfindaname posted:

Well, that and desisting from screaming about niggers, sluts and faggots 24/7 in all parts of the media they control.

Maybe they're trying to win over 4chan millenials.

Drudge has to have been super excited about the police coming down on the blacks, dude is racist as all get out.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 16, 2014

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

I agree. I think getting the numbers right is important, though. I remember reading some survey where they asked conservatives and liberals to guess at the budget percentages. Conservative vastly overestimated 'entitlement' spending and liberals vastly overestimated military spending. A number like 80% is just so far out there that it has no basis in reality. If people are just going to throw scary numbers out there then it's impossible to have a conversation.

It's because people don't specify if they are talking about discretionary spending, non-discretionary spending, or both lumped together. War and defense spending constitutes roughly 60% of the discretionary budget.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

RuanGacho posted:

It could be confusion based on the difference between 'Mandatory' and 'Discretionary' spending. Military still isn't 80% of Discretionary, but it's a clear majority. And yeah, we drat well ought to spend more on healthcare than warfare, it's our nation's biggest problem and our most obvious track to a better future, arm-in-arm with education. It's not like our military actions from the last 40 years have produced consistently excellent outcomes.

e: beaten M/D $, don't neglect your tabs, kids

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

KiteAuraan posted:

I have no job because no one will hire me. I have student loan debt because I am trying to get a degree. Even if I had a job, the sort of places that would hire me would not pay me enough to move out. I cannot even have a job while going to school because of mental issues that keep me from doing both, so I get some disability, but it is nowhere near enough to buy a car or move out on. As a result of all of these things I cannot start a family. The reason I am in this spot is entirely due to Republican policies on wages and federal aid. And it's only going to get worse due to Republicans raising student loan interest rates, further putting me off buying a home, starting a family, owning a car and keeping me living with my parents.

Basically they whine about Millenials not being able to do the above things, while pushing policies that keep us hosed.
I personally know about a dozen people in your exact situation (and I've got my own similar issues), despite the fact that conservatives would almost certainly dismiss you as being "one of those who fell through the cracks."

Meanwhile they are secretly thinking, "He's just not working hard enough."

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Good Citizen posted:

That's because liberals and conservatives are using different terms to talk about "the budget". When liberals give a high percentage for military spending they are looking at it as a percent of the discretionary budget. When conservatives are talking about high entitlement spending, they are factoring in a bunch of programs that are independently funded through their own revenue streams (payroll tax, etc) rather than from general funds.

In terms of discretionary spending, military spending makes up the vast, vast majority. Topline figures, it's over half of the discretionary spending, and much of the "non-military" spending is stuff like the Veterans Administration, Department of Energy (who maintain the nuclear arsenal), debt incurred from fighting past wars, etc.

The Nation rolled up a bunch of those costs and pinned military spending at about $931 billion total in 2013. That's about 80% of the discretionary budget for that year. That number does not include interest on past wars, defense-related NASA spending, or classified intelligence spending.

If you are talking about "the budget" as a monolithic thing where all Federal dollars are the same, you are buying into a conservative framing of the argument. Military expenditures are discretionary, they should be viewed as a percentage of discretionary funds, without factoring in the retirement fund Aunt Mabel is trusting you with holding.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 16, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I know Drudge has always been bad, but at this point it's basically caffeine-free diet Chimpout. All that it's missing are the "magic words" that according to conservatives are the only indicators of what's racist and what isn't. Sentimentally though, they're one and the same.

The fact that they're not a fringe site but one of the biggest sources of mainstream conservative thought alongside Rush Limbaugh and Fox News is loving scary and depressing,.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hazo posted:

I personally know about a dozen people in your exact situation (and I've got my own similar issues), despite the fact that conservatives would almost certainly dismiss you as being "one of those who fell through the cracks."

Meanwhile they are secretly thinking, "He's just not working hard enough."

There's times when you'll get Joe Conservative to admit things are hosed and they'll even spout something that you, I and "LIEBERALS" would agree with.

But they'll quickly back away from it when Rush and others say otherwise, then it's back to spouting talking points.

Hell my dittohead father was arguing that we should be using money to update our energy policy, and help with the grid. Which was something I whole-heartily agreed with.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Haha that Battlefield story. The villain of this game is a racist redneck killer. The Tea Party is offended because he reminds them too much of themselves. The best part is when Beck describes a sequence where you sneak up on a man and choke him to death... and then says "imagine if a child played this". Except the objectionable part isn't the killing, it's the tea party flag on the murdered man's uniform. You can't make this stuff up.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I like this because it's like Mike Brown's ghost is flipping off everyone who reads the drudge report.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's not like the Gadsden flag was in the news recently being draped over dead cops or anything.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you are talking about "the budget" as a monolithic thing where all Federal dollars are the same, you are buying into a conservative framing of the argument. Military expenditures are discretionary, they should be viewed as a percentage of discretionary funds, without factoring in the retirement fund Aunt Mabel is trusting you with holding.

Yah, it was really misleading to put "budget" and "Social Security" together like that. Congress does not budget for Social Security. They don't hash out how much they will spend on that. Not only does it fund itself, but government borrows from it to cover the stuff in the actual budget.

My favorite are the pie charts that shrink down military spending by not only including the stuff going out of the Social Security fund, but also add a slice for Debt Servicing, which is partly money going back into the SS fund.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

7c Nickel posted:

It's not like the Gadsden flag was in the news recently being draped over dead cops or anything.

Yes but those were democrats doing the killing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
"Why don't the police shoot and kill these people who are taking things that will be paid for by a store's insurance policy?"

I DON'T KNOW MAN WHY DON'T WE FIND OUT?

Those poor loving TVs. Won't someone think of those poor, innocent televisions? What did they do to deserve this?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

"Why don't the police shoot and kill these people who are taking things that will be paid for by a store's insurance policy?"

I DON'T KNOW MAN WHY DON'T WE FIND OUT?

Those poor loving TVs. Won't someone think of those poor, innocent televisions? What did they do to deserve this?

Reminder that a cornerstone of right wing views is 'property rights' in the sense that they view property as worth more than human life if that human life is stealing it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Yah, it was really misleading to put "budget" and "Social Security" together like that. Congress does not budget for Social Security. They don't hash out how much they will spend on that. Not only does it fund itself, but government borrows from it to cover the stuff in the actual budget.

My favorite are the pie charts that shrink down military spending by not only including the stuff going out of the Social Security fund, but also add a slice for Debt Servicing, which is partly money going back into the SS fund.

I don't find it misleading but I guess I'm not a normal budget guy seeing as my profession is accounting. I can see it from both perspectives though. I put it like I did because the person I was responding to was talking about social security/welfare in the same point as military spending.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Headline Texas:

Dumbest person to ever be elected to state office indicted on charges unrelated to his smart-person reading glasses.

In other news:

Jaywalker and his character summarily executed in Missouri for the crime of pedestrian values including but not limited to being in one place and trying to move to a different and adjacent place in realtime.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

KiteAuraan posted:

I have no job because no one will hire me. I have student loan debt because I am trying to get a degree. Even if I had a job, the sort of places that would hire me would not pay me enough to move out. I cannot even have a job while going to school because of mental issues that keep me from doing both, so I get some disability, but it is nowhere near enough to buy a car or move out on. As a result of all of these things I cannot start a family. The reason I am in this spot is entirely due to Republican policies on wages and federal aid. And it's only going to get worse due to Republicans raising student loan interest rates, further putting me off buying a home, starting a family, owning a car and keeping me living with my parents.

Basically they whine about Millenials not being able to do the above things, while pushing policies that keep us hosed.

And yet they keep claiming it's because of some moral failing on the part of millenials, like being less religious, the heathen music/media they consume, their support of women's health & gay rights, etc. No no, it's not failing republican policy that's to blame - it's clearly because millenials need to do more god-bothering.

It's insulting to their intelligence, and I hope millenials don't ever forget this lesson being taught to them rather harshly.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Big Beef City posted:

Mark Levin just played the entire "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles to end his program, ending it with shouts of "GET ISIS! GET AL-QAEDA!"

He does this literally every Friday, by the way. It's part of his way of constantly reinforcing "my black friend" along with playing some Motown for his bumpers. I wish I was kidding, but he really is that stupid about race issues.

The funnier thing was that he blew a loving gasket over Rick Perry being indicted for trying to horse trade his veto power like a loving amateur. He kept leaving out the key piece of information that Rick Perry would have been able to appoint the replacement, and trying to spin it as "Rick Perry wouldn't have benefitted from her resignation in any way!" That's pretty brazen even by his low standards.

A few days ago he also snapped on a conservative caller trying to make a "one of the good ones" argument that Levin usually would agree with. The guy said, "I'm sure we all know at least one immigrant who came here.." to which, loving douchebag racist rear end in a top hat, Mark Levin, replied, "I don't know about you, but I don't know any illegals. I don't think most people do." So clearly in Levin's head, "immigrant" = "illegal immigrant." Geee... I wonder why people think he's a huge loving xenophobe.

He also took the purported Michael Brown video at face value, gave the benefit of the doubt to the cops via that speculation, then said people shouldn't be speculating and he wouldn't be taking any calls on it. He did that at the opening of his show Friday. On Thursday he told a black caller that he didn't know what he was talking about when it came to interacting with police as a black person.

His constant "Where's the liberal media cricicizing <X>!" has gotten a lot more hilarious because quite frequently recently <X> is a topic that Rachel Maddow criticized literally the night before.

This has been your update on the inner workings of the mind of Mark Levin. I wish I could quit listening to his loving show.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 17, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My father handed me an op-ed from someone writing about the struggles of why Youth cannot find jobs. The author is the CEO of CKE, Andrew Puzder, so I was curious if anyone could kind of help me critique it.

quote:

President Obama's speeches this year, a steady theme has been creating jobs and economic opportunity for Americans. In his State of the Union address in January he said that "what I believe unites the people of this nation . . . is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all—the notion that if you work hard and take responsibility, you can get ahead." And in his weekly address on Saturday, he repeated his strong appeal to young people: "As long as I hold this office, I'll keep fighting to give more young people the chance to earn their own piece of the American Dream."

Yet during the more than five years Mr. Obama has been in office, young people have been especially hard-hit by the slow and virtually jobless recovery. Given the destructive effect this has on individual initiative and the prospects of a productive and rewarding working life, the continuing struggle of young Americans to find jobs, start building families and contribute to society is no longer simply a matter of politics or policy. On a deeply human level, it's profoundly sad.

Nonetheless, various states and municipalities have increased their minimum wage, thereby increasing the cost of employing inexperienced workers. Minimum-wage jobs have always been a gateway to better opportunities. In making hiring decisions, businesses must weigh the quality and value of work that entry-level employees produce against the cost of employing them. For many businesses in high-minimum-wage states or municipalities—Seattle leads the list, having approved a move to a $15 minimum wage—that trade-off is no longer working.

The bottom line on labor: Make something less expensive and businesses will use more of it. Make something more expensive and businesses will use less of it. The Congressional Budget Office has forecast a loss of 500,000 jobs should the president's proposal to increase the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour become law.

The CBO also forecast that this increase would lift a number of people who already have jobs above the poverty threshold. For 500,000 unemployed people, however, that's 500,000 opportunities American businesses will never create.

ObamaCare is also increasing the cost of hiring inexperienced workers. The health-care law requires that businesses with more than 50 full-time employees offer medical insurance to employees working 30 or more hours a week. The administration knows that the employer mandate will kill jobs and has twice delayed implementing it. With an election on the horizon, American businesses know that these delays were political and that the mandate's economically damaging impact is in the pipeline, coming their way.

ObamaCare gives businesses an incentive to either eliminate entry-level jobs or keep the workers' hours to under 30 a week. It also gives businesses a reason to reduce the hours of experienced employees to under 30 a week. These experienced employees are now working second jobs to compensate for their lost hours—resulting in fewer positions for less-experienced workers.

To get on the ladder of opportunity, America's young people need jobs. Creating disincentives to hire them diminishes the notion that "if you work hard and take responsibility, you can get ahead." The reality is that you can't get ahead if you can't find a job.

I'm not speaking primarily as a business CEO. My company will adjust to new laws. I'm speaking as someone from a working-class family. I started work scooping ice cream for the minimum wage at Baskin-Robbins. To put myself through college and law school while supporting my family, I cut lawns, painted houses and busted concrete with a jackhammer. I know how important these jobs are. For one thing, they taught me—as no lectures from my parents ever could—that I needed a good education so I wouldn't have to settle for low-paying work the rest of my life. Too many young people today are being deprived of even that basic lesson.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/andrew-puzder-why-young-people-cant-find-work-1402355248

TL;DR

It's Obama's fault, it's Obamacare's fault, blame Obama. Also raising the minimum wage is a bad idea because the only people that take minimum wage jobs are young kids looking for "opportunities".

It cannot literally be the simple, correct? That's all my father does is blame Obama, and it seems like the economics of the whole thing seem way more advanced than that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Spacedad posted:

It's insulting to their intelligence, and I hope millenials don't ever forget this lesson being taught to them rather harshly.
I'm kind of worried that this will be good fuel for some spite based voting after Hillary's second term. Seems pretty stupid to rob from then slander a generation and then ask them for a transfer payment from them to retire on.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

My father handed me an op-ed from someone writing about the struggles of why Youth cannot find jobs. The author is the CEO of CKE, Andrew Puzder, so I was curious if anyone could kind of help me critique it.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/andrew-puzder-why-young-people-cant-find-work-1402355248

TL;DR

It's Obama's fault, it's Obamacare's fault, blame Obama. Also raising the minimum wage is a bad idea because the only people that take minimum wage jobs are young kids looking for "opportunities".

It cannot literally be the simple, correct? That's all my father does is blame Obama, and it seems like the economics of the whole thing seem way more advanced than that.

He's way out of touch. He talks about how he used minimum wage jobs to pay for schooling and support his family without realizing that is literally impossible these days with rising tuition and housing costs. He shows a basic understanding of marginal cost/benefit of hiring employees, but focuses entirely on costs. You get more benefit when there's more demand and you need additional employees to service that demand which is a huge issue today because a whole generation doesn't have disposable income. Raising the minimum wage doesn't address a lot of these problems, but it sure as poo poo doesn't hurt.

And he's right that the employer mandate in the ACA is deeply flawed but with the mere mention of a public option sending a third of the country into an frothy rage, well, we got what we loving got.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

FuzzySkinner posted:

TL;DR

The big thing is the simple fact that minimum wage increases have never actually had the adverse effects that people opposing the idea have claimed. Reality does not back them up. Period. Where people have calculated the effects of increasing wages on the actual prices customers pay, even assuming that 100% of the cost went straight to the customers, it pretty much always comes out to pocket change for any seriously proposed minimum wage (as opposed to the idiotic "Then why don't we pay everyone $200 an hour?!" straw man). The notion that minimum-wage jobs are a thing teenagers get is just plain not borne out by statistics, and if you think they ought to be, the question is why employers have so miserably failed to make those better jobs available to people.

Labor is not as big a portion of the cost of things as they seem to think, and employers for the most part pay the smallest amount they can get away with, without any particular consideration for the actual value the employees create with their labor, and in some cases without any regard for what's actually legal. I don't think all companies are bad or anything like that, but a lot of them do operate on a literally sociopathic principle of pursuing profit above all else.

People like to frame this whole thing as a failure on the part of workers. If you're in a minimum-wage job you didn't get educated or aren't trying hard enough. But there's no denying that employers have to some degree failed America. They are voluntarily putting less money into the economy to boost their own profits.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

I'm not speaking primarily as a business CEO. My company will adjust to new laws. I'm speaking as someone from a working-class family. I started work scooping ice cream for the minimum wage at Baskin-Robbins. To put myself through college and law school while supporting my family, I cut lawns, painted houses and busted concrete with a jackhammer. I know how important these jobs are. For one thing, they taught me—as no lectures from my parents ever could—that I needed a good education so I wouldn't have to settle for low-paying work the rest of my life. Too many young people today are being deprived of even that basic lesson.

Andrew Puzder was born in 1953. Graduated law school in 1978.
Assuming he started work at 16, minimum wage was as follows:
1969: $1.30
1970: $1.45
1971: $1.60
1972: $1.60
1973: $1.60
1974: $1.90
1975: $2.00
1976: $2.20
1977: $2.30
1978: $2.65

Adjusted for inflation:
1969: $8.44
1970: $8.91
1971: $9.42
1972: $9.12
1973: $8.59
1974: $9.19
1975: $8.86
1976: $9.22
1977: $9.05
1978: $9.69

2014 Federal Minimum Wage: $7.25

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

He's way out of touch. He talks about how he used minimum wage jobs to pay for schooling and support his family without realizing that is literally impossible these days with rising tuition and housing costs. He shows a basic understanding of marginal cost/benefit of hiring employees, but focuses entirely on costs. You get more benefit when there's more demand and you need additional employees to service that demand which is a huge issue today because a whole generation doesn't have disposable income. Raising the minimum wage doesn't address a lot of these problems, but it sure as poo poo doesn't hurt.

And he's right that the employer mandate in the ACA is deeply flawed but with the mere mention of a public option sending a third of the country into an frothy rage, well, we got what we loving got.

I also believe that if we're going to blame Obama for any of this, how come the republican policies of the past 50 or so years get off scot free?

It was the baby boomers and their deregulation of pretty much everything, and refusal to carry on the "We're all in this together"-attitude by their beloved "Greatest Generation" that really led to this point.

I mean feel free to blame Obama in the mean time, but they shouldn't pretend that this was all of his doing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Andrew Puzder was born in 1953. Graduated law school in 1978.
Assuming he started work at 16, minimum wage was as follows:
1969: $1.30
1970: $1.45
1971: $1.60
1972: $1.60
1973: $1.60
1974: $1.90
1975: $2.00
1976: $2.20
1977: $2.30
1978: $2.65

Adjusted for inflation:
1969: $8.44
1970: $8.91
1971: $9.42
1972: $9.12
1973: $8.59
1974: $9.19
1975: $8.86
1976: $9.22
1977: $9.05
1978: $9.69

2014 Federal Minimum Wage: $7.25

Taking this a step further, let's look at the cost of a college education in 1978 vs 2007 (the statistics I pulled from national center for education statistics).

1978: $7,667 (inflation adjusted)
2007: $15,434

Those statistics have changed for the worse since then, too, but those were the most reliable numbers I was able to quickly pull up. People these days are easily paying more than twice what he paid for his schooling with an even lower minimum wage. Basically, millenials are getting hosed and he either doesn't realize it or doesn't care.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well, start from a privileged position and work down. The productivity/wage gap is more than a generation old, and it keeps rising. It isn't unheard-of for HR types to request five years of experience in a three-year-old programming language or software suite. If the people controlling the hiring process don't even have a grasp on timelines in this reality, then the people controlling the people controlling that are incompetent - right? Anyone who exclusively wants to hire time-travelers is mentally ill. Inflation-adjusted, minimum wage ought to be $11, and that doesn't factor in mobile communication or internet stuff. And when neglected communities try to fix their own problems in that dimension, they're often shut down by anti-regulation zealots. College subsidies have plummeted, and internships are 50% unpaid at this point. How are we equally equipped to prosper when half of us that get through higher-ed have to pass a wealth test disguised as corporate approved volunteerism, after already chipping in more than our parents did for the core college experience?

When your executives are paid multiple orders of magnitude above new hires, it's easier for them to see workers as robots rather than people, and the labor pool as I/O ratios rather than Ahmed who has a girlfriend and would love to settle down and buy a condo. And the idea that businesses are entitled to abuse labor to the extent that they'll give pointers on getting employees to personally obtain government subsidies to stay stably employed, it's dumb and clearly the result of minimum wage being too low. If you want a worker to stay on board, you should give them adequate money from your own purse instead of coaching them to take it from the public purse.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My dad literally blames Obama for that too.

He claims that when he went to college and got to pay off his student loans he had a lot of banks to choose from or something of that nature.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Apparently judging by facebook the new right-wing media rage is Obama not attending the funeral of that general who died

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168636-guess-president-vice-president-2-star-general-laid-rest/

Maybe the family didn't want someone to attend who'd require a 2 dozen person armed escort with them? idk

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quote:

I mean what the gently caress is he even talking about, the lazy millennial stereotype is someone who got a good education so they wouldn't have to settle for low-paying work for the rest of their lives. Those people are now $100k in debt and either unemployed or working jobs they could've gotten right out of highschool.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

My dad literally blames Obama for that too.

He claims that when he went to college and got to pay off his student loans he had a lot of banks to choose from or something of that nature.

It's not banks, though. Interest rates are actually pretty great right now. The increase in college tuition is almost entirely due to declines in state funding for higher education. It's not really a debatable point because the data is so clear.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Andy went to law school too, didn't he? Doesn't he hear about how so many fresh law degree holders are working as baristas in Starbucks after a few years working for a firm if that—oh, who am I kidding, of course he hasn't.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

ErIog posted:

The funnier thing was that he blew a loving gasket over Rick Perry being indicted for trying to horse trade his veto power like a loving amateur. He kept leaving out the key piece of information that Rick Perry would have been able to appoint the replacement, and trying to spin it as "Rick Perry wouldn't have benefitted from her resignation in any way!" That's pretty brazen even by his low standards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eAsbGuWks MARK LEVIN GOES NUCULEAR :black101:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I mean what the gently caress is he even talking about, the lazy millennial stereotype is someone who got a good education so they wouldn't have to settle for low-paying work for the rest of their lives. Those people are now $100k in debt and either unemployed or working jobs they could've gotten right out of highschool.

The gently caress is this guy talking about busting concrete with a jackhammer can get you good money.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I stopped reading right here

quote:

The bottom line on labor: Make something less expensive and businesses will use more of it. Make something more expensive and businesses will use less of it.

Because it's the same horseshit you always see trotted out by these types. Praise the almighty market when it benefits you, pretend the demand side of the equation doesn't exist when it doesn't back you up. Businesses will use the minimum amount of whatever resource is required to satisfy demand for their product. No one is going to hire a bunch of additional workers just because they're now slightly cheaper unless those workers were actually needed. Decreasing marginal utility and such. Throwing more workers, even significantly cheaper ones, into the mix doesn't necessarily add to the value of total output. If I could hire an unlimited number of full time maids for one cent an hour with no benefits, I'd still only hire one. Having two isn't going to make my house any cleaner. Sure, I could have more, its only 8¢/day each, but why?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

The lesson I got from doing these jobs was to show people a lot more respect in the service industry because you never know if that person could be in the exact same position you've been in or you could be in a number of years.

I didn't get the feeling of "Oh man, I better stay in school because these jobs suck", but more so the feeling of "These jobs are terrible sometimes, and the people working here should be paid a hell of a lot more."

I worked with a mix of retirees, divorcees, former factory workers, and the aforementioned students at those jobs by the way. It doesn't seem to remotely fit his stereotype.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

TL;DR

Another thing to point out as flawed is this;

quote:

The bottom line on labor: Make something less expensive and businesses will use more of it. Make something more expensive and businesses will use less of it.

This "bottom line" is broken, and so is the rest of his argument. Actually had to explain something like this to an in-law who was on the other end of the political spectrum, as "why doesn't Home Depot just hire more people?"

Even if labor is dirt cheap, a business won't hire more than it needs. If minimum wage was dropped to $1/hr, McDonalds wouldn't just up and hire 200 more people and cramming a dozen workers in front of a grill that can be easily operated by 1 person.

If a raw material gets really cheap, they will only buy and stock up on so much, especially if the cost of storing the excess cuts into the savings of buying in bulk for cheap. If the cost of burger buns was cut in half, McDonalds won't just immediately start buying twice as many. They'll buy enough to cover demand, so unless demand doubles they'll just pocket the profit from cheaper buns.

This is one of those Econ 101 bits that proves "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amused to Death posted:

Apparently judging by facebook the new right-wing media rage is Obama not attending the funeral of that general who died

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168636-guess-president-vice-president-2-star-general-laid-rest/

Maybe the family didn't want someone to attend who'd require a 2 dozen person armed escort with them? idk

What is IJReview? That's the second article today from that site I've seen cited. Did it just start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

radical meme posted:

What is IJReview? That's the second article today from that site I've seen cited. Did it just start?

The last time I remember seeing that site (Independent Journal Review, which is basically a conservative version of Upworthy, and yes it is as bad as it sounds) was in early May, when some jerkoff was fellating Tal Fortgang for his "why I'll never apologize for my white male privilege" article in Princeton's newspaper and Time.

The title was ridiculous too (as expected for a Buzzfeed/Upworthy knockoff); something like "Freshman Shames Ivy League College Over Privilege Shouting" or something.