Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WatXM Volume 1 actually occasionally had these big diagrams of the school's students, but there were some who never had more than a background appearance the entire run.

Some of the staff never even appears on panel. They talk about Gambit's classes occasionally but he's never in any issues.

Also as it turns out Wolverine can't prevent his students from becoming killers (Toad can though) yet I can't recall a single time any of Cyclops' have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"I don't want you to become like me," Wolverine says as he hands over the samurai sword to Kitty Pryde. "Really though," he says to Rogue as he relentlessly trains her in the Danger Room. "My path is one filled with empty rage," he says before trying to get Armor pissed by insulting her honor. "You've got your whole lives ahead of you, and I don't want you to walk the road I walked on," he tells his students as he leaves them to fend for themselves in the Savage Land.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

"I don't want you to become like me," Wolverine says as he hands over the samurai sword to Kitty Pryde. "Really though," he says to Rogue as he relentlessly trains her in the Danger Room. "My path is one filled with empty rage," he says before trying to get Armor pissed by insulting her honor. "You've got your whole lives ahead of you, and I don't want you to walk the road I walked on," he tells his students as he leaves them to fend for themselves in the Savage Land.

So you've never EVER heard of martial arts training to only be used in self defense? Like monks and Jedi?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually kill the poo poo out of things during Savage Land training.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, the fact that Wolverine wants things to be a way but keeps himself from changing those things by being unable to break his lovely patterns of behaviour is a pretty major character beat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Also as it turns out Wolverine can't prevent his students from becoming killers (Toad can though) yet I can't recall a single time any of Cyclops' have.

And Scott gets possessed by an evil force one time and kills someone and people won't get out of his rear end about it, but that's happened to Wolverine a few times before and the Avengers make him a team-member.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

And Scott gets possessed by an evil force one time and kills someone and people won't get out of his rear end about it, but that's happened to Wolverine a few times before and the Avengers make him a team-member.

Yeah well. Prof X was more important than all those guys Wolverine killed when the Hand controlled him.

Or something.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Wolverine shows remorse. That's the difference.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

They actually kill the poo poo out of things during Savage Land training.

tbf, the Savage Land training was supposed to be (relatively) safe with Logan supervising from afar, but it just got hijacked by his rear end in a top hat time-traveler brother because Wolverine has the worst luck ever.

Seriously, Wolverine should just punch Spider-Man in the face the next time they're hanging out and Spidey complains about the ol' Parker luck.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I've read the following X-Men comics:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men - loved this except for the future part/ending
Josh Whedon's Astonishing X-Men - it was okay, kind of forgettable.
House Of M - really drat good

What would you guys recommend I read next?

I've watched and loved all the X-Men cartoons & movies but have never checked out the comics until recently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah for some reason if you feel bad about what you do, but don't actaully do anything about it, you get a pass.

Its the wierdest thing. Like mentioned above you can do whatever you want as long as you bitch about it after/during.

pharmer
Jul 11, 2013

genghis.khan posted:

I've watched and loved all the X-Men cartoons & movies but have never checked out the comics until recently.

Uncanny X-men Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire was really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pharmer posted:

What?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

genghis.khan posted:

What?

pharmer posted:

What the gently caress?

What bizarro BSS am I in?

E: Beaten by Rhyno while I tried to figure out how to quote 2 posts in Awful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

What?

What the gently caress?

I hear X-Treme X-Men is pretty tight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

Eh if you want real X-men there is this little known writer chuck austin.....

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Is it as good as The Draco? I have high standards!

E: I keep getting beat in my jokes :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

Is it as good as The Draco? I have high standards!

It's good but nothing really holds a candle to New Exiles.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

Now now, there was an X-Treme X-Men that was really good....it just wasn't written by Claremont.

Although, if you want some awesome X books, you should be reading those X-Men Forever ones. Claremont returning where he left off 20 years later? What could go wrong???

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New Excalibur won like, 79 awards I think. That's some great poo poo.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Shawn posted:

What?

What the gently caress?

E: Beaten by Rhyno while I tried to figure out how to quote 2 posts in Awful

What's wrong with House Of M, my friend? I thought the setting was very interesting

pharmer
Jul 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh if you want real X-men there is this little known writer chuck austin.....

gently caress you Chuck Austin cured AIDS

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

genghis.khan posted:

What's wrong with House Of M, my friend? I thought the setting was very interesting

It's not wrong, it's just a Bendis event. It goes on to long and goes nowhere, it's resolved by a dues ex machina. It's just a piece of fluff. I don't think I've ever seen someone head over heels for it. It's just mediocre and there are so many better X books.

I guess if you like Bendis' take on the X-men you can try Uncanny and All New, personally I think they are dire, but the only X-men I'm reading now is X-force and X-factor.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Scott shows remorse too. So no, there really isn't an in-universe difference for it.

Which kinda shows since people have sort of just given up on trying to arrest Scott. They'll try every now and again but for the most part it's just like "Well he's saving mutants and fighting bad guys so whatever." But they're still mad for some dumb reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I one hundred percent side with Scott, but to the play the devil's advocate, I do think there are some differences. Cyclops was influenced by the Phoenix, but Wolverine was entirely mind controlled by the Hand.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Shawn posted:

It's not wrong, it's just a Bendis event. It goes on to long and goes nowhere, it's resolved by a dues ex machina. It's just a piece of fluff. I don't think I've ever seen someone head over heels for it. It's just mediocre and there are so many better X books.

I guess if you like Bendis' take on the X-men you can try Uncanny and All New, personally I think they are dire, but the only X-men I'm reading now is X-force and X-factor.

I am actually not a fan of Bendis (his Avengers were boring as poo poo) but yeah the setting of HoM was definitely what was most enjoyable to me about it. I am just looking for some good X books, and they don't have to be similar to what I listed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

genghis.khan posted:

The most correct opinion in BSS.

Try some of Mike Carey's run next. Starts off with X-Men:Supernovas.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

genghis.khan posted:

Kieron Gillen's run on uncanny is good (if you can stand Greg Land's art). It pretty much stands alone, except for the AvX stuff and is a nice lead up to the current status quo. Also, Si Spurriers run on Legacy is amazing, and of course Remenders X-Force, if you want to journey away from the main team books.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott shows remorse too. So no, there really isn't an in-universe difference for it.

Scott shows remorse that Xavier had to kick it, but not for his actions as a whole. I recall him being pretty clear on the ends-- new mutants-- justifying the means. Sort of like the difference between "I'm sorry I said something offensive" and "I'm sorry if you took offense at that".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's also the fact that Scott welcomed the Phoenix Force, despite knowing first hand that it's an uncontrollable cosmic force. Wolverine didn't ask to be mind controlled (unless you count the time he became Death, but that was only to stop Sabretooth from doing it iirc).

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

There's also the fact that Scott welcomed the Phoenix Force, despite knowing first hand that it's an uncontrollable cosmic force. Wolverine didn't ask to be mind controlled (unless you count the time he became Death, but that was only to stop Sabretooth from doing it iirc).

Counterpoint: there's also the fact that Cyclops Was Right

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

They have been to enough futures and alternate timelines to show that it is perfectly controllable with a proper host.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Aphrodite posted:

They have been to enough futures and alternate timelines to show that it is perfectly controllable with a proper host.

Nobody cares about your fake history or future.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Wolverine: I'm a horrible person who's killed people when i've had to and will spend the afterlife in hell, unhappy. I would never want anybody to experience what i've had to do.

Cyclops: It sucks that Xavier died but I saved mutant kind. I'd do everything all over again and when I'm not around someone else will need to do it too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Scott welcomed the Phoenix Force for Hope, who was groomed and ready for it until the Avengers and Wolverine hosed it up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Wolverine: I'm a horrible person who's killed people when i've had to and will spend the afterlife in hell, unhappy. I would never want anybody to experience what i've had to do.

"...now take out your textbooks because it's time for What I've Had to Do and How to Do It 101"

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody cares about your fake history or future.

Quentin Quire probably does.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Soonmot posted:

Scott welcomed the Phoenix Force for Hope, who was groomed and ready for it until the Avengers and Wolverine hosed it up.

Except she wasn't ready because Spider-Man hadn't told her that with great power comes great responsibility. They repeatedly brought up how she wasn't ready and the Phoenix would have turned her into a meat puppet and probably gone all dark phoenix.

But you know Cyclops was totes right when you ignore that chunk of the crossover where they take her to K'un-Lun for training and grooming to wield the Phoenix Force and even wielding the Phoenix Force she had to get help from Wanda.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't think that there was really any reason for Scott to think that Hope would be able to handle the Phoenix Force. Rachel was, but she only really had a small portion of it. But whatever, AvX was dumb as poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine's plan was to kill her on Day 1 so Scott still comes out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
At least with AvX they managed to make you able to argue both sides without looking like a complete lunatic unlike Civil War's Pro-Registration.

• Locked thread