Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Two of these aren't really macro but they're focus stacked so I guess this is the place. Not sure why kiwano melons are so expensive but they look pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure that is actually an alien egg and you should douse it in fuel and burn it until it's ashes.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Graniteman posted:

The main options are Zerene Stacker and Helicon Focus. I think Zerene has the better reputation but I've never used Helicon. ZS does have a lightroom plugin but I've also never used that. There's a free trial so you can give it a shot.

One of a big strengths of ZS for me, compared to photoshop) is much better ability to handle fine hair-like details, and a hugely superior workflow for cleaning up / retouching stacked images. You can easily paint in detail from specific frames onto the final image if the automated stacking algorithm messes up. Issues are common with overlapping hairlike structures (bug antennas) but rare for me with other subjects.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Zerene can also control a Stackshot, which is huge depending on how much do you this stuff.

Post about ZS versus HF (written by the guy who wrote ZS, but I've never seen him overselling poo poo about ZS): http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13302

Thank you both very much for the info.

I've been fiddling with Zerene and was hoping for some advice to improve my results.

PMax gets me an awful blurry mess around specular highlights and DMap gets me lots of tiny smudgy bits in the same areas. I can get decent results if I spend a LOT of time retouching in the better bits on the DMap output but was hoping there were some settings I could change to get a better result with less retouching required.

Here is one overall image and a couple close ups from it to show what I'm getting with DMap.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I've been fiddling with Zerene and was hoping for some advice to improve my results.

PMax gets me an awful blurry mess around specular highlights and DMap gets me lots of tiny smudgy bits in the same areas. I can get decent results if I spend a LOT of time retouching in the better bits on the DMap output but was hoping there were some settings I could change to get a better result with less retouching required.

Here is one overall image and a couple close ups from it to show what I'm getting with DMap.

I've definitely run into that issue as well. I don't know of any settings in ZS that would reduce those blurred specular highlights. I have two maybe semi-helpful comments:
People who are really into high magnification focus stacking shots spend a ton of time and energy on light diffusers and lighting modifiers in order to get the subject to look just right. Strong highlights are generally avoided where possible. No different than non-micro photographers really. But if you have the ability to control the lighting on your subject to minimize those highlights that would be my first recommendation.

Secondly, since you are new to ZS you may not be using the "stack selected" retouching workflow to the fullest. I know I wasn't until I read the tutorial here. The short version is, the tool is designed so that if you want to pull in detail from several frames at once you should select all of those source frame, then stack them, then retouch using the sub-stack as the source. It makes retouching larger stacks much much easier.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
hi

SpiderFriend by nick.kneer, on Flickr

HI

SpiderCloseup by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

dakana posted:

Amazing pictures

Nice!

Does video stuff count?

Azorubine and tartrazine precipitating out of a solution of sodium citrate

Aspirin Boom

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

While on a vacation with the wife and kid, I leaned up against a tree during a break and noticed a caterpillar.

DSCF3250_2 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

And another. And another.

DSCF3261 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

And then I looked up.

DSCF3256 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

This is my favorite photo I've taken so far this year.

DSCF3273 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Have some Elder Sign fruit.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Last night I stacked a Megachile bee, with "okay" results:

I am trying to emulate a particular set of photos from a USGS worker that are posted on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml/sets/72157630468783226/.

Centris decolorata, F, Side, Puerto Rico_2013-07-04-12.37.24 ZS PMax by Sam Droege, on Flickr

amegilla, m, side, india_2014-06-18-16.30.41 ZS PMax by Sam Droege, on Flickr

The worker posts that the pertinent pieces of equipment they are using are:

Camera: Canon EOS 5D MarkII
Macro Lens: Canon Manual 60 mm 1-5X (MP-E65/2.8)
Macro Flash: Canon Twin Lite MT24EX
Setup: specimen placed inside of a styrofoam cooler, black cardboard background, and the lights are placed near the base of the specimen, facing away from each other. The areas left open by the hole made for the lens is covered in white typewriter paper to encourage bounce.

Whereas I am using a Canon T2i, a El-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 reversed on bellows, and a desk lamp over a styrofoam cup diffuser that the specimen is set in (and a Yongnou 560 III that I don't know enough about to use effectively yet, have not used it for macro stacking yet). In mine, I used a CFL bulb in a desk lamp, set directly above the styrofoam cup with the pinned specimen inside. The background is a small piece of ultra-black flocking used for the insides of telescopes.

I realize that there are going to be considerable technical differences between the equipment I have available right now and the stuff the USGS worker is using, but I'm disheartened by the differences between the photographs...

When I am using my setup, I use the Canon Utility software in Manual, with the aperture set to approximately the enlarging lens' current aperture (usually between the 4 and the 5.6 markers), and adjust the exposure time to give a slightly to-the-left histogram. This particular stack was 59 images altogether, cranked by hand. I don't really think I need a Stackshot (as the worker is using) at this point, but it would be nice.

After taking the photos, I use Bridge to resize and save as jpgs, (not getting the Embedded Profile Mismatch prompt I normally get when I open a CR2 in PS, which might have something to do with it). I stack in Zerene Stacker, usually using the DMap output and retouching from there. Beyond that, I am using the mini-Bridge function in PS CS5 to open the resulting jpg as RAW, adjusting the brightness, contrast, and blacks. Then I usually go into the file with PS itself and use the healing tool to remove bits of dirt, and finally go over the whole thing with the unsharp mask function to enhance detail.

As you can see, the lighter parts of the bee are over-exposed, and while the detail looks okay, it's not as good as the photographs done by the USGS guy. I also get serious halos in my DMap results, usually around the claws or wings (highly reflective surfaces, compared to the hairy or dark colored parts of the insect). You can see some of my hamfisted PS'ing in my photo, right under the bee's left antennae. In this case, I was able to convincingly PS the pin out of the picture, but I know that if the positioning had been different, there would be more of that.

Are the differences between my Megachile example shown here simply a matter of learning how to use my flash and working on learning how to light the subject better, getting better equipment in general, taking more time with my post processing, or a combination of all three?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Are the differences between my Megachile example shown here simply a matter of learning how to use my flash and working on learning how to light the subject better, getting better equipment in general, taking more time with my post processing, or a combination of all three?

Definitely the largest difference is in the lighting. The MT24EX is a macro ring flash, which means it's on the lens' axis. They've got more substantial bouncing of light going on, which helps reduce contrast and shadowing. Your light is coming primarily from above, and while it's a nice size, simply due to its positioning it ends up putting too much light on the top of the bee and not enough on the bottom. This is what creates a large amount of contrast between the top and the bottom, and you're left to either sacrifice the highlights, sacrifice the darks, or compromise. You could try getting some more desk lamps and getting lights on-axis to the bee, or 2 at 45 degree angles in front of the bee, etc. That's your biggest difference, for sure.

Also in your workflow you're not taking advantage of RAW in any way by resizing and saving as JPG before editing. The point of RAW is that it contains more information for adjusting exposure, contrast, white balance, saturation, color, etc; saving it as JPG discards all of that information. I'd suggest editing one of the RAWs to how you'd like it, then syncing the edit settings to all of the other RAWs in the stack, and then resizing and saving as JPGs before the stack.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

dakana posted:

Definitely the largest difference is in the lighting. The MT24EX is a macro ring flash, which means it's on the lens' axis. They've got more substantial bouncing of light going on, which helps reduce contrast and shadowing. Your light is coming primarily from above, and while it's a nice size, simply due to its positioning it ends up putting too much light on the top of the bee and not enough on the bottom. This is what creates a large amount of contrast between the top and the bottom, and you're left to either sacrifice the highlights, sacrifice the darks, or compromise. You could try getting some more desk lamps and getting lights on-axis to the bee, or 2 at 45 degree angles in front of the bee, etc. That's your biggest difference, for sure.

Also in your workflow you're not taking advantage of RAW in any way by resizing and saving as JPG before editing. The point of RAW is that it contains more information for adjusting exposure, contrast, white balance, saturation, color, etc; saving it as JPG discards all of that information. I'd suggest editing one of the RAWs to how you'd like it, then syncing the edit settings to all of the other RAWs in the stack, and then resizing and saving as JPGs before the stack.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

On the second point, I forgot to mention that I do apply a by-case preset from one of the photos to the bunch in Bridge before I start the resizing. I usually end up doing it again using the open as RAW function afterwards, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The MT24EX is not a ring flash :confused:

To get that pro look, direct light with puny diffusers* won't cut it. Either diffuse that poo poo properly* or do what the pro does: use indirect light. You'll need a couple flashes for that, desk lamps aren't practical or powerful enough.

Awesome paper towel diffuser, bro!

...oh

Also, mods please rename this thread to "Necro Necro Necro!"

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Right, the MT24EX is a couple little flashes that are on a ring mount that can be removed:

The USGS worker has them on either side of the block that the specimen is mounted on, facing in opposite directions. The inside of the styrofoam box provides the diffusion. I will work on it with my own YN to see if I can get something going that will work better than what I'm getting now. I imagine just shooting at a quicker shutter speed will improve things a little, and a truly spread out light will make things look more even in the end.

edit: anyone aware of a comparable Chinese Amazon-y pair of lights? Or just get another YN and slave it?

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 19, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
A second YN is fine, you don't need a twin flash for studio work.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I shoot stuff like this a lot.

1) your lighting is not even enough. The biggest challenge for good portrait photography (bugs or people) is getting the light just right. That's where I spend most of my time during setup. I use two flashes, but you can do a good job with one if you make a lot of effort to get even light on multiple sides. As I understand you, the bug is in a styrofoam cup. That's a good start. Try shooting across the side of the cup and position a small mirror on the other side to act like a reflector that bounces light back into the "shadow side" of the cup. Get more light around your subject and that will make a huge difference.
2) try to properly expose (not to the left). As long as you aren't blowing out your images or falling to complete black you are fine.
3) I use Zerene Stacker. the DMAP algorithm sucks for hairy subjects. Use PMAX. You can also get fancy and stack both way, then composite in photoshop to use the hairy bits from the PMAX image and the smooth bits from DMAP. That's what the most "serious" people do, but I don't and I think my images turn out pretty well. Definitely do not just use DMAP.
4) I don't think it helps much to process RAW files first. My post processing workflow: shoot the deep stack in jpeg. It really doesn't make a difference for focus stacking like this. Even the author of Zerene says that in his detailed testing it doesn't matter. That said, shoot in a locked white balance (not auto). Or shoot RAW and just deal with the slower workflow, but recognize you aren't really benefiting. Mass-crop the full image set if needed, and export them all to your working folder. Stack all in ZS using PMAX. Touch up stacking errors in ZS as needed. Export as a 16 bit tiff. The stacking algorithm is going to pull more detail and color into that resulting tiff by combining your 60 source jpgs. Open the resulting tiff in PS and apply camera raw as smart filter, then spot healing for dust trails. Finally sharpen using smart sharpen. It works really well for correcting diffraction limited blur, which is what you will have.

You have the gear and software to do a great job, just practice! It's actually pretty tricky to get it all lined up to make good shots, but it's just the sum of a lot of small techniques you have to learn by practicing. The thing I've iterated on most though is trying different ways of lighting my subject.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Long story short, using the flash inside of a styrofoam box worked a hell of a lot better:

Still need to work on my idea of contrast, though. I see a big difference in what I remember in PS on my home computer and what I see at work. The FB uploading compression and color wonkery actually made this one look better than the unaltered file, which is what's posted above:

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P6280016.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P6280030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P6280021.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The oly 12-40 works pretty ok for macro (it helps when you have giant rear end moths and good sized spiders to work with though).

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

If you use a MT-24EX flash head, you probably have some crazy rigged up diffusers to make it look good for macro. I just saw this blog post about what looks like a really nice diffuser you can just buy from ebay.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Graniteman posted:

If you use a MT-24EX flash head, you probably have some crazy rigged up diffusers to make it look good for macro. I just saw this blog post about what looks like a really nice diffuser you can just buy from ebay.

Just saw that as well, think I'll buy it just for plastic shell that clips to those heads nicely and I can put more stuff in there if needed. Right now I'm using actually something similar except made from cardboard and couple Fong Puffer diffusers.

Pics too:

IMG_9606 by ruut103, on Flickr

IMG_9634 by ruut103, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
20140629 YellowFlower 2_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Jesus Christ, those jaws are the stuff of nightmares.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Bob Socko posted:

I think it looks really cute. :shrug:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Bob Socko posted:

What did you say!?
                                                                              /

IMG_0345 by ruut103, on Flickr

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I don't have a way to post the photos now, but I've been using the DCR-250 on my Canon 70-300 for cool west African bugs in a place I didn't want to take a setup worth more than per capita income, and WOW. For $60 the DCR is incredible, and I think it's well beyond 1x when zoomed to 300mm. If anyone is reading this for a budget entry to macro, definitely try the thing out.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Dragonfly:
Dragon Fly by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

And a Cricket? Grasshopper? No idea.
Grasshopper? by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Fuji 35mm worked surprisingly well for flower macros

DSCF3399.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF3423.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF3425.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I found out my favorite tea is kinda gross looking up close.

Tea by t.humeston, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Picked up a Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro + extension tube for cheaper than what I paid for the FD->XF adapter.

Playing around in the garden:

DSCF1263.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Anyone know what this little guy is?

DSCF1283.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 1, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm not an expert but that looks like a spider.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Crab spiders are cool.

IMG_0998 by ruut103, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

A few macro shots I took recently.

Tamron SP AF 90mm, Nikon SB-60 with RayFlash

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm, full set of cheap Nikon F extension tubes and a RayFlash hanging off a SB-600.

Tamron 90mm, generic set of three extension tubes, Nikon SB60 flash + Rayflash,
Cree cycle torch for side illumination (and a bit o' depth)

The RayFlash has been pretty useful with macro lighting. The depth of field was so slight with the ant, if I focussed on the tree the ants were oof. Live view helped adjust focus (even though they were running around like headless chickens).

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 17, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Pill Bug by cclunie, on Flickr

Fly on a Daisy by cclunie, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Love this.

Here are some small things in Ghana, all with a regular 70-300 and DCR-250. It worked really, really well for an instantly switchable bird/bugs lightweight setup.

Watermelon Spider by Icybacon, on Flickr

Bush Cricket by Icybacon, on Flickr

Tiny Gecko by Icybacon, on Flickr

Ghanaian True Bug by Icybacon, on Flickr

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I've recently taken to taking photos of the various strains of medical marijuana that I procure in Washington. Right now I'm using a Canon 5D Mark III with 100mm 2.8L Macro paired to a YN560 external flash via radio triggers. I'm also focus stacking (which I love).

My question is how do I get close, close, closer to the buds to really get all the fantastic detail? Right now I'm able fill the frame with a decent sized bud, but I'd also like to get in tighter for detail shots.

Would extension tubes help? Close focus filter?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Photos are on @northwestgreens on twitter if anyone wants to check em out.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

mclifford82 posted:

I've recently taken to taking photos of the various strains of medical marijuana that I procure in Washington. Right now I'm using a Canon 5D Mark III with 100mm 2.8L Macro paired to a YN560 external flash via radio triggers. I'm also focus stacking (which I love).

My question is how do I get close, close, closer to the buds to really get all the fantastic detail? Right now I'm able fill the frame with a decent sized bud, but I'd also like to get in tighter for detail shots.

Would extension tubes help? Close focus filter?

I'd do extension tubes, since they don't degrade the image as much as a close focus filter, which is really just a magnifier. You can get spendy and buy ones that'll give you AF and AE, or you can be cheap and buy off-brand ones that don't have any electronics, so it'll be manual focus and manual aperture (set the aperture with the lens on the camera, hold down the DoF preview button, and remove the lens from the camera.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

May I ask, how often do you guys with dedicated macro kit actually get it out to use? I love taking macro shots, when the opportunity arises, but it's a pain in the rear end as I'm free-lensing my 50mm to do it. I'm seeing the third-gen Sigma 105 for £380 and I'm pretty tempted to pick it up (even though I desperately need a tripod first).

I'm wondering whether the low amount of macro I do is linked to the trouble I have to go to, or whether it's just something that doesn't really come up that often.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You want something easier to take out an use, but you want to ditch your super simple setup and go with something that needs a tripod? gently caress that. Unless you're focus stacking just leave a flash on the camera and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

You want something easier to take out an use, but you want to ditch your super simple setup and go with something that needs a tripod? gently caress that. Unless you're focus stacking just leave a flash on the camera and go to town.

Oh no, sorry. The macro and tripod thing are unrelated. Money wise, I should purchase a decent tripod before another lens is what I meant. :v: