Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anora posted:

The real question is if your friends and family can recognize you from the inside of your rectum, and vice versa.

"What do you mean this is sick? I'm just trying to prepare this family in case one of us is cloned, drat it! Now loving memorize this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

If you can recognize your identical twin from the inside of their rectum you got a whole lot of other things to think about than which of you might be evil.

The real real question is are you inside your evil twins rectum or is the evil twin inside yours?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey a bunch of new posts in the Movies thread! I wonder what everyone is talking abo :stonklol:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It means you have platinum. More importantly why do you have my name??

This is more awkward than going to a party and someone's wearing the same shirt as yourself. But at least you get the chance to see how good it looks.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Devin Faraci of Badass Digest appeared on Meet The Movie Press alongside Mark Reilly and Jeff Sneider and said this about Dr. Strange :

"So, for Dr. Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Dr. Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, On his own, without any of the previous stuff. Not even touching the previous script."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Ant-Man an origin story for him?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

lomzus posted:

Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Dr. Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme.

So, apparently the reason for Marvel's success is just basic common sense. That seems to be the the number one problem a lot of people have with superhero movies.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I like that at least Marvel and DC seem to be listening to everyone saying enough already with the origin stories that are already known by every man, woman, and child on Earth that doesn't live in the jungle. And probably even couple of them, I'd wager.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Ant-Man an origin story for him?

Eh, it's kind of. Pym has likely been Ant-Man before and this is passing the mantle to Lang. But it could be that Lang has used it before or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Egghh, I really like Dr. Strange's origin story so I really hope this is false.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Esroc posted:

I like that at least Marvel and DC seem to be listening to everyone saying enough already with the origin stories that are already known by every man, woman, and child on Earth that doesn't live in the jungle. And probably even couple of them, I'd wager.

We are still talking about Dr. Strange here, aren't we?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Surely a movie can contain an origin without being primarily about that origin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really think it's only a subset of comic book fans who have a problem with origin story movies because they've seen the origins one too many times already, so I would guess Marvel is thinking more about Strange's arc being too similar to Stark's or any other story where the main character becomes the Chosen One.

I also think it works better to have him established already if they want to get him involved with the shared universe. Strange tends to be an authority figure or expert when he's in crossover stories and we won't really get that feeling if the Sorcerer Supreme is a total greenhorn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Strange has a pretty straightforward origin, too. You could still do it but only devote 10-15 minutes to it, then cut to "10 years later" pretty easily.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think most of the origin complaints are around characters who's origins are so established that they're part of the cultural consciousness already. You don't really need to show the origin for Batman, Superman or Spider-Man anymore, but it is helpful for some of these less popular characters.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Strange has a pretty straightforward origin, too. You could still do it but only devote 10-15 minutes to it, then cut to "10 years later" pretty easily.

Like they did with The Shadow?

I approve of any move that would result in more movies like that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The thing about Strange's origin in particular is that no one from his life prior to meeting the Ancient One matters once he becomes a sorcerer. Like, what was the name of Dr. Strange's nurse? Who gives a poo poo?

Since none of those characters matter you can just start the movie with Strange climbing a frozen mountain, cutting to scenes of him being a prick and winning surgery awards with his name on it. Online articles about world's greatest surgeon Dr. Strange. All through this credits are fading in as swirling music plays. Finally Strange's hand grips to the top of the mountain. Flashback to the accident. Blood. Anguish. Snowy Strange's hand slips and his glove falls off. You see his hand is mangled and deformed. Determined, he climbs up anyway.

Pan shot of the Ancient One's temple and WE ARE GO.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bob Quixote posted:

That's actually exactly what I had in mind, since they're pretty similar

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

I thought of The Shadow too! Man that movie is underrated.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Strange's origin is too similar to Iron Man's, where Strange was an rear end in a top hat egomaniac before getting humbled and making up for it afterwards. And since he's been namedropped, it would be better to just introduce him as he's been around for a while operating on the fringe and is now stepping into the spotlight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They could have a post credits scene in Avengers 2 where Wanda is experimenting with her chaos magic powers, only to have Dr Strange appear and offer to teach her.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Origin stories tend to be the best superhero movies though.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I dunno if you'd even need to show his origin at all. Just have him talking to Clea or Wong during a down moment: "Yeah, I was a world-famous surgeon and gigantic rear end in a top hat who let a little girl die because her parents couldn't pay me. Then I felt guilty, drank a lot, ran my car off the road, my hands were mangled, nobody could help. I heard about this guy called the Ancient One, became his student, he died and I got all his stuff. Even though I'm the Sorcerer Supreme, I still think about that little girl and it makes me want to be a hero for her." Then he draws strength from his own tragic backstory and grabs Dormammu with the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak and wins everything forever.

P.S. There had better be Crimson Bands of Cytorrak in this movie. I'm still waiting for Thor to say "I say thee nay!" even once. Don't disappoint me twice, Marvel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Eh, that's kinda hit or miss. Take something like Spiderman where the whole "Uncle Ben gets shot, great power/responsibility" or Superman "escaped child of a doomed planet raised in Kansas" origin stories are part of the cultural zeitgeist, and yeah an origin story movie is gonna feel overdone.

But Doctor Strange? My only knowledge of Strange's origin comes from posts on this very forum. There's a way to balance it though. Tell an origin without making the whole movie ABOUT the origin.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It'll be the same as Avengers, Guardians and Ant Man. The heroes exist already but there will still be an origin story of them learning to stop being selfish and self absorbed so they can save the day because with great power comes great responsibility. It just won't be Doctor Strange is an average dude until one day his life is turned upside down by superheroics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mirage posted:

I dunno if you'd even need to show his origin at all. Just have him talking to Clea or Wong during a down moment: "Yeah, I was a world-famous surgeon and gigantic rear end in a top hat who let a little girl die because her parents couldn't pay me. Then I felt guilty, drank a lot, ran my car off the road, my hands were mangled, nobody could help. I heard about this guy called the Ancient One, became his student, he died and I got all his stuff. Even though I'm the Sorcerer Supreme, I still think about that little girl and it makes me want to be a hero for her." Then he draws strength from his own tragic backstory and grabs Dormammu with the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak and wins everything forever.

P.S. There had better be Crimson Bands of Cytorrak in this movie. I'm still waiting for Thor to say "I say thee nay!" even once. Don't disappoint me twice, Marvel.

If he doesn't invoke the hoary hosts of Hoggoth I'm getting a refund

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mirage posted:

That's a horrible take on his origin. Dr. Strange feeling guilty changes the character arc too much he didn't feel guilt, shame or remorse only a selfish drive to be the best, it took a peak at the source code of the universe to turn him into a better person.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Start the movie off with Strange's real origin: A man is having nightmares, more terrible every night. In desperation he comes to an old brownstone in Greenwich Village. Credits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I was about to chime in with the same thought. Batman Begins, Superman and Iron Man immediately sprung to mind but the more I thought about it maybe that's not true when you consider Daredevil and Fantastic Four. Then there's the origin films that people are divided on, some of which I really liked (Man of Steel, ASM, Blade) and some I didn't (Thor, Captain America, Punisher, Spiderman, Hulk) so I don't think it's as cut and dried as "origin stories or better" and "origin stories suck" as much it is the storytelling.

Iron Man and Batman Begins are probably the best of the bunch but I'm not sure how much of that is due to origins being better or just that happened to be really well done.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

jivjov posted:

Eh, that's kinda hit or miss. Take something like Spiderman where the whole "Uncle Ben gets shot, great power/responsibility" or Superman "escaped child of a doomed planet raised in Kansas" origin stories are part of the cultural zeitgeist, and yeah an origin story movie is gonna feel overdone.

But Doctor Strange? My only knowledge of Strange's origin comes from posts on this very forum. There's a way to balance it though. Tell an origin without making the whole movie ABOUT the origin.

This. Iron Man needed an origin story because he was sort of a b-list hero. Batman didn't need one but they did it in such an original and modern way that they made it fresh somehow. I'd argue the same about Man of Steel but I know that movie gets a bad rap.

Dr. Strange seems like a good fit for an origin story to me. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Tim Burton (at one time) would have been the perfect director for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a Dr Strange origin movie that focuses mostly on the origin runs the problem of being completely disconnected from the MCU, which is probably why they're skipping it. You can just have a scene where he talks about his backstory and it would probably work just as well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If they deemphasize the origin (I imagine Faraci is exaggerating when he talks as though it's been excised entirely), I wonder how they'd explain the lack of actual magic in the MCU thus far, or why he was only known to SHIELD/HYDRA as a potential future threat rather than a current one. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but I'm curious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Thor movies had plenty of magic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

The Thor movies had plenty of magic.

Nah, TDW especially hammered in (lol) that what the Asgardians have is just technology so highly advanced that it resembles magic. It also turned the Dark Elves, who are very much a Tolkien-esque magical race in 616, into futuristic aliens with spaceships and laser guns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

Nah, TDW especially hammered in (lol) that what the Asgardians have is just technology so highly advanced that it resembles magic. It also turned the Dark Elves, who are very much a Tolkien-esque magical race in 616, into futuristic aliens with spaceships and laser guns.

How exactly do you define "magic"? If anything, I think both Thors hammered in that magic and science are basically the same thing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Loki's and Frigga's illusions seemed to be actual magic rather than technology.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

Loki's and Frigga's illusions seemed to be actual magic rather than technology.

Image inducers and cloaking are a common enough thing as fictional technology. If they don't use any technology, then it's just a biological version of that.

"Actual" magic isn't a thing. Magic only stops being magic to people when it's explained.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Barry Convex posted:

If they deemphasize the origin (I imagine Faraci is exaggerating when he talks as though it's been excised entirely), I wonder how they'd explain the lack of actual magic in the MCU thus far, or why he was only known to SHIELD/HYDRA as a potential future threat rather than a current one. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but I'm curious.

I think it makes sense that Strange is fairly under the radar. He's one of the few Marvel heroes who takes pains to hide himself, and many of his adventures are on different planes of existence or beyond the physical realm.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The real magic tech in Thor's movies is how those little pieces of his armor sleeves seem to come out of nowhere and magic themselves together on to his arm :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nanotech. Peter Quill's face mask does the same.

• Locked thread