Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Taxi Brooklyn update: I have no idea what's going on in this show.

Last episode had the BABC storytelling gimmick where they start the episode with a scene from the climax and then flash back to set up how poo poo goes down. The thing is, they showed the entire climax, revealing the killer's identity and how the heroes defused the bomb. Just to put a point on this: they spoiled the whodunit and the ticking bomb scenario in the first five minutes of the episode. At which point they flashed back six hours and proceeded as if the audience didn't know exactly who planted the bomb or how it would be diffused. :psyduck:

Jingleheimer posted:

I wish Netflix had a random episode feature. I have a half hour to kill before going to work and I can't decide which episode of Always Sunny to watch.

I wish Netflix's random category was a permanent category instead of new releases or what's popular on Facebook.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Amateurs! Amateurs everywhere!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

I wish Netflix had a random episode feature. I have a half hour to kill before going to work and I can't decide which episode of Always Sunny to watch.

For future reference, you could just do a google search for "custom RNG", and enter 1 for the minimum number, and make the top number however many episodes there are. Or do it once to choose a season, and again for the number of episodes in that season. I sometimes do that if I can't decide what episode of something to watch.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 16, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

We all loved it then too. :allears:

I stopped watching it during season 3 originally. I remember the way ABC would stop showing new episodes for months at a time in the middle of a season was one of the reasons, I forget what else it was I didn't like about season 3 back then but the only reason I started watching it again was because my friend was marathoning the DVDs before the start of one of the later seasons and I got hooked again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first half of season 3 is the worst of Lost. Everything after that is an improvement. This was also when Heroes season 1 was airing and it would introduce mysteries and then answer them quickly, so in comparison Lost looked lovely at the time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh, now that I remember what S3 was we didn't love it... but it was nothing like how bad it got. And no I am not just talking about the ending or mysteries getting answered like that one poster loves to straw man all the loving time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched seasons 1-3 of Lost in like two weeks, then watched the rest of the series live. Oh my God, season 3 was really bad you guys. I don't remember being annoyed much by the ending, other than thinking there were big chunks of the last episode that just weren't any good, meaning, there were things that were just really stupid or looked that way. Some of it reminded me of like, a 60s B movie or whatever. Like boiling down the epic fight of good vs. evil to Jack falcon punching Locke in the face, ahaha.

Then again, around when the last few episodes were airing, I was drinking very heavily and taking a lot of speed and playing in a metal band.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Mu Zeta posted:

The first half of season 3 is the worst of Lost. Everything after that is an improvement. This was also when Heroes season 1 was airing and it would introduce mysteries and then answer them quickly, so in comparison Lost looked lovely at the time.

Agreed. I had given up on the show right before it started to get good again, and then binged my way to catch up. ABC accepting that they needed to set an ending date was the perfect move.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

precision posted:

Like boiling down the epic fight of good vs. evil to Jack falcon punching Locke in the face, ahaha.

hahahahahahaha I forgot about that.

I also love searching youtube for Jack Falcon Punch gives me exactly what I want to see.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh shiiiiiit rectify.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fooz posted:

Oh shiiiiiit rectify.

Clayne Crawford was unreal in this week's episode. That scene with Ted and Tawney was something else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey Eddie Izzard joined that Powers adaptation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also cast the teenage character people were worried the new "son of the former partner" character would replace.

And they also cast Johnny Royale and the guy they got looks perfect.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 17, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So the show Legends on TNT. I was enjoying it up until they got Ali Larter into panties dancing at a strip club for a job (she runs an FBI task force). I'll keep watching but they really shoehorned the T&A in there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

So the show Legends on TNT. I was enjoying it up until they got Ali Larter into panties dancing at a strip club for a job (she runs an FBI task force). I'll keep watching but they really shoehorned the T&A in there.

GreenNight posted:

I was enjoying it up until they got Ali Larter into panties dancing at a strip club for a job

GreenNight posted:

I was enjoying it up until they got Ali Larter into panties

GreenNight posted:

they got Ali Larter into panties

GreenNight posted:

Ali Larter panties

"Uuuuggghhhh. Thanks a lot for ruining the show for me, beautiful half-naked woman."
:goonsay:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So I watched the first three episodes of Garfunkle and Oates, and here's a quick rundown on why its awful:

1) There are no jokes.

There are no set-ups and punchlines. The characters don't say witty things, make humorous observations or reference shared cultural touchstones in funny ways. All the humor in the show comes from things happening around and to the main characters, but while that would be funny in a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie, its not in Garfield and Oats because,

2) The protagonists are too passive.

When something bad happens to Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm, its a direct result of his earlier actions. Larry David drives the action of his show. He has goals, objectives and a viewpoint, and reacts appropriately when things don't go his way. In Garfeld and Oaks, the characters don't react to anything. They don't express opinions. The don't have goals, objectives or viewpoints of their own. In one of the episodes, Oaks dresses is forced to dress like a slut to get a part in a Hollywood movie. She's ugly and mousy and clearly doesn't look the part. Its a funny premise, but because she doesn't react at all to what's happening to her, all the humor is drained out of it. She quietly stands around while Natasha Leggero dresses her in a ridiculous outfit. She stays stonefaced throughout her disastrous audition with a famous movie star. And, finally, she doesn't react at all to being thrown out of a toy store after being mistaken for a whore. At no point do we learn what she's thinking, how she's feeling or have any understanding why she's doing this except "its a tv show."

3) The songs are terrible.

I understand the appeal ukelele parody songs have to a generation raised on My Little Pony, but as an older adult, they're really off-putting. Even if the lyrics were incredibly funny and clever (they're not), they're still ostensibly singing children's songs. The dirty Sesame Street thing is a one-note joke (not to mention old hat), and Garbled and Oafs are running it straight into the ground.

I haven't even touched how twee the show is, but I think that goes without saying. When its all said and done, Garmel and Ogl is an awful show and I hope I this warning saves y'all an hour of your lives.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well I was never going to piss away any of my time on it even without your review, but it's nice to see some sense in here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I already found it annoying enough having ukulele music shoved into every sitcom I watch that Kate Micucci's in, like both Scrubs and Raising Hope. I'm not going to go out of my way to hear more of it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 18, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is there nepotism involved in those two's success, it seems like their loving should be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PriorMarcus posted:

Well I was never going to piss away any of my time on it even without your review, but it's nice to see some sense in here.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there nepotism involved in those two's success, it seems like their loving should be.

I haven't watched it either, but this is absolutely absurd.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I haven't watched it either, but this is absolutely absurd.

I watched the pilot. I try to give every new show a chance and joking aside one of them was pretty good for a few episodes in this last series of Big Bang. However, in both that and this she's playing the same character and its not appealing at all outside of the group dynamic she entered on that show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Heaven forbid TNT makes a show with an attractive actress without getting her half naked within the first half hour of the pilot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Heaven forbid TNT makes a show with an attractive actress without getting her half naked within the first half hour of the pilot.

I think they were pretty upfront about their intentions when they cast Ali Larter, who really only qualifies as one of the two things you described her as.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sean bean should go back to making Sharpe.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The pilot of Garfunkel and Oates was definitely awful. The second episode was much better. Haven't watched the third yet. That said, I have a high twee tolerance.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I could have sworn I heard about a Garfunkel and Oates TV show happening like, three or four years ago. They were cool then. The zeitgeist has now passed them by. :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spatula City posted:

I could have sworn I heard about a Garfunkel and Oates TV show happening like, three or four years ago. They were cool then. The zeitgeist has now passed them by. :smith:

Yeah, they've had a TV deal in the works for a long rear end time. I want to say I first heard about it 4 years ago way back when Kate Micucci was on the first season of Raising Hope.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They were making digital shorts for HBO for a while and I think made a pilot for them that never became a series.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Garfunkel and Oates are legitimately popular on the internet. Them getting their own show is just the flipside of legitimately cool alt-comedians from the internet being given their own shows en-masse on Comedy Central.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't wait for the Drunk Hannah cooking show and PewDiePie on Comedy Central.

I didn't know that the singing guy on The League was also some Youtube star. No wonder he's terrible on the show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't wait for the Drunk Hannah cooking show and PewDiePie on Comedy Central.

I didn't know that the singing guy on The League was also some Youtube star. No wonder he's terrible on the show.

The Pewds would be a step up from Daniel Tosh.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I would watch a Drunk Kitchen show. :3:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mu Zeta posted:

This saddens me as a fan of the League, a fan of Jon Lajoie, and as a Canadian.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone in the League is a bad actor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Hmmmm... Uhh... Yes.

I actually didn't try to think of someone who isn't, but, yep, they all are.

I mean, I kind of enjoyed the first season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. I just now discovered Happy Endings. Why didn't someone tell me how great this show was sooner?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I mean this is television, let's have all women fully covered up at all times like they should be please.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aphrodite posted:

Jon Lajoie is solid. Jason Mantzoukas too, even if he only really ever plays one character.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. I just now discovered Happy Endings. Why didn't someone tell me how great this show was sooner?

We tried, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fooz posted:

We tried, drat it.

You should have tried harder instead of quitting, I mean, Roam by the B-52s wasn't written in a day.

• Locked thread