Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, it's not Meow Mix or Iams, but honestly going with a higher quality natural food (preferably grain free) will save you bunches when it comes to vet bills, time spent cleaning up cat vomit, potential skin and coat problems, etc.

There is no evidence to say that a "higher quality natural food (preferably grain free)" is any better than any other food, or if they prevent any disease. Nutrition is an individual thing - if a cat does great on Kirkland, then great. If it doesn't, then Kirkland isn't the food for kitty. A lot of the "premium" foods are all about marketing and you need to wade through foods throwing stupid phrases at you like "human grade" "grain free" "all natural" etc. For cats, a good protein percentage is what is probably most important - Crooked Booty is better on that poo poo than I am.

If you want to feed your cat Kirkland, go for it. If you want to feed it Wellness, Solid Gold, Iams, Hills, go for it.

It always confuses me when clients say "But I feed them a premium food!" when I say their cat has some disease or other. Premium food isn't magical, regular foods aren't poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HelloSailorSign posted:

There is no evidence to say that a "higher quality natural food (preferably grain free)" is any better than any other food, or if they prevent any disease. Nutrition is an individual thing - if a cat does great on Kirkland, then great. If it doesn't, then Kirkland isn't the food for kitty. A lot of the "premium" foods are all about marketing and you need to wade through foods throwing stupid phrases at you like "human grade" "grain free" "all natural" etc. For cats, a good protein percentage is what is probably most important - Crooked Booty is better on that poo poo than I am.

If you want to feed your cat Kirkland, go for it. If you want to feed it Wellness, Solid Gold, Iams, Hills, go for it.

It always confuses me when clients say "But I feed them a premium food!" when I say their cat has some disease or other. Premium food isn't magical, regular foods aren't poison.

I get what you're saying and all, but getting a good food, like those I've mentioned, is a decent enough shorthand to avoid crap that's right there in the op. Corn starch, corn meal, soy, brewer's rice, and by-products of any kind. And by going with any of those foods you're pretty much guaranteed to have a better protein percentage. "Grain free" may be a marketing tool but it's also generally an indicator of higher protein and less crap, as long as you check out the ingredients list and aren't an idiot about reading packages.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Try petflow, which is cheaper than any of the local pet shops I found. I set everything up on a schedule, and they automatically send me dog and cat food, plus treats.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Why the hell do "indoor" flavors of canned Blue Buffalo cat food have more calories than the regular ones? Makes no sense.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Sometimes I feed my cat Tigger cut up raw chicken when I'm preparing something instead of his cat food, am I on the road to Hell? :ohdear:

e: not sure where to ask this but can I feed my cat papaya? I've read that they can eat melons, among other stuff I would never have guessed, but not sure if papaya counts.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 16, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Sometimes I feed my cat Tigger cut up raw chicken when I'm preparing something instead of his cat food, am I on the road to Hell? :ohdear:

e: not sure where to ask this but can I feed my cat papaya? I've read that they can eat melons, among other stuff I would never have guessed, but not sure if papaya counts.

As long as the primary diet isn't the chicken, no, treats are just fine. I wouldn't replace a meal with it more than once every 5 days or so just due to the rule of "treats should not exceed 10%."

Papaya is fine.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I posted this in it's on thread. Got plenty of views with no responses, figured I would try this thread out.

-------

For the last few years or so, my dog has been eating Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dog food. Over the last few months, she has become very gassy. So I started looking and found that Chicken and Fish were the easiest meats for dogs to digest so I assumed that maybe the Lamb has just become hard on her stomach or something and food with Chicken or Fish would be easier on her and us.

I purchased a big bag of Wellness Chicken and Brown Rice to switch her over to. Started the first day with 1/2 cup of the Wellness and 1 1/2 cup of Nutro for breakfast and dinner. Went well and she ate it up. However, since the first day, she now will no longer eat the Wellness. She has either avoided her food bowl all together (2 whole meals breakfast & dinner) or she will eat around the Wellness bits and try to pick out the Nutro.

Is there something I can do to get her to eat the Wellness or is that something she just won't give in on and I should just go get her a bag of her normal stuff?

Sophie says Hi!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What you do depends on why she isn't eating it.

It sounds like other than the decreased appetite she is doing just fine. If it is just that she's not a huge fan of the food - sometimes it is just because change is hard - you can stay the course and wait her out (she will eat when she's hungry), go back to the old food, or try something new.

If she's not as active and energetic, or seems off, then maybe she's not taking to the new food well. Could be too fast a transition (some dogs can be rather sensitive), could be a sensitivity to something in the food itself. In that case, it is up to you whether or not you want to pursue a vet checkup (if vomiting or diarrhea occurs, I would recommend checking up) or to just assume it's mostly the first paragraph I spoke of and try that out first to see if things get better.

Some people will add "flavor" or high value treats to new kibble to ease the transition - things like chicken broth or tiny pieces of chicken are common - but sometimes weaning off the special added stuff can be tough in its own right.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for the reply! That's sort of the course I've taken. If she's hungry she will eat. I've still been running and exercising her so she hasn't been at a lose for energy. She did seem to eat it down more last night than she has in the past. I think shes just finally getting hungry and going for it.

Adding chicken broth sounds like a good idea. I'd assume that you would just want to add enough to moisten the kibble right?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yup.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Okay, goons. I wanted to ask the peanut gallery about some nutritional advice for my cat.

My wife, russian, has insisted on feeding him a raw food diet since he was two months old. He is an attractive cat, with a nice coat of fur, but I worry that if we continue down this road as we have for the past year and a half, he is going to have problems!

Here is what we typically prepare for him, and we weigh it out so that he eats only about 5-8% of his weight per day. I mix together an assortment of raw meats:
    3 lbs of chicken breast
    2 lbs beef, assorted cuts
    1 lb turkey breast, occasionally we will sub this out for more beef or chicken (or even fish):shobon:
    3 medium carrots, shredded
    1/3rd a head of dark green lettuce, shredded
    5-8 mushrooms (assorted), shredded
    5 broccolli heads, shredded
    taurine supplement (4 tablets of 500mg)

The wife bases this nutrition on a nostalgic, often unfollowed recipe that raised up her two house cats back in the motherland.

We have not consulted a vet, because she dislikes the whole "idea" of feeding our cat a dry food diet. She claims that they add perfumes and other chemicals to make the food appealing to animals, and from circumstantial evidence I agree. When Peter gets small helpings of dry food when we cannot prepare his meals beforehand (when we vacation for example), he almost demands the dry food when we get home.

Are we killing him slowly? We have been told by vets that he is a healthy little guy with some massive muscle bulk, but is that a problem?

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 20, 2014

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Angry Fish posted:

Okay, goons. I wanted to ask the peanut gallery about some nutritional advice for my cat.

My wife, russian, has insisted on feeding him a raw food diet since he was two months old. He is an attractive cat, with a nice coat of fur, but I worry that if we continue down this road as we have for the past year and a half, he is going to have problems!

Here is what we typically prepare for him, and we weigh it out so that he eats only about 5-8% of his weight per day. I mix together an assortment of raw meats:
    3 lbs of chicken breast
    2 lbs beef, assorted cuts
    1 lb turkey breast, occasionally we will sub this out for more beef or chicken (or even fish):shobon:
    3 medium carrots, shredded
    1/3rd a head of dark green lettuce, shredded
    5-8 mushrooms (assorted), shredded
    5 broccolli heads, shredded
    taurine supplement (4 tablets of 500mg)

The wife bases this nutrition on a nostalgic, often unfollowed recipe that raised up her two house cats back in the motherland.

We have not consulted a vet, because she dislikes the whole "idea" of feeding our cat a dry food diet. She claims that they add perfumes and other chemicals to make the food appealing to animals, and from circumstantial evidence I agree. When Peter gets small helpings of dry food when we cannot prepare his meals beforehand (when we vacation for example), he almost demands the dry food when we get home.

Are we killing him slowly? We have been told by vets that he is a healthy little guy with some massive muscle bulk, but is that a problem?

It doesn't seem balanced to me, but I'm not that kind of vet. The best thing to do if you want to feed homemade raw would be to have a diet formulated for your cat by a veterinary nutritionist to ensure that it is balanced. Many won't formulate raw, but some do. I think U of T does them while working with your vet: University of Tennessee Veterinary Nutrition Service (email utvns@utk.edu) or you could try contacting someone near you: http://www.acvn.org/directory/

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Enelrahc posted:

It doesn't seem balanced to me, but I'm not that kind of vet. The best thing to do if you want to feed homemade raw would be to have a diet formulated for your cat by a veterinary nutritionist to ensure that it is balanced. Many won't formulate raw, but some do. I think U of T does them while working with your vet: University of Tennessee Veterinary Nutrition Service (email utvns@utk.edu) or you could try contacting someone near you: http://www.acvn.org/directory/

Thank you for the referral! I sent an email to that address. There isn't a huge amount of information available through google on this, but my wife and the mother-in-law say that there is nothing wrong with this sort of diet.

I am the one doing the food prep every other week or so, and not only is it a fair amount of work (2-3 hours to get everything cut up and weighed), but I don't even know how to get the right amount of anything. He won't eat his veggies unless they're mixed very well with the proteins, and I don't even know if the supplement is necessary.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
My wife and I just adopted a 1 1/2 year old hound mix (oh my god the curiosity and energy) and we're going to get some food tonight to start weening him off what he is currently eating. The rescuer we adopted him from fed him Kirkland Brand dog food, which doesn't seem terrible, but I think we can afford to do better.

I looked through the OP and have a general brand awareness when it comes to premium foods, but is there a recommended Large Breed Puppy mix? He is about 60lbs right now according to the rescue and has been getting 2 cups of food a day. That would be about 700 calories of food according to the kirkland label. He looks to be an ideal weight based on the body condition score chart.

Just a bit overwhelmed by the options. I do plan on purchasing Dog Food Logic (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IODSQKQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=S3RBL45BRC29&coliid=I2TRJJJJFOHYNI) to learn morea bout nutrition, but could use some advice in the meantime.

Thanks!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Angry Fish posted:

Thank you for the referral! I sent an email to that address. There isn't a huge amount of information available through google on this, but my wife and the mother-in-law say that there is nothing wrong with this sort of diet.

I am the one doing the food prep every other week or so, and not only is it a fair amount of work (2-3 hours to get everything cut up and weighed), but I don't even know how to get the right amount of anything. He won't eat his veggies unless they're mixed very well with the proteins, and I don't even know if the supplement is necessary.

That recipe is not balanced at all but at the very least the taurine supplement is absolutely necessary and your cat will die quickly without the added taurine.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Thanks for the reply! That's sort of the course I've taken. If she's hungry she will eat. I've still been running and exercising her so she hasn't been at a lose for energy. She did seem to eat it down more last night than she has in the past. I think shes just finally getting hungry and going for it.

Adding chicken broth sounds like a good idea. I'd assume that you would just want to add enough to moisten the kibble right?

Since my last update, she had completely quit eating with any kind of regularity. Monday night, she went in the kitchen and grabbed a few nibbles then joined the rest of the family in the living room. 20 mins later she threw up whole chunks of kibble.

I bagged the food back up and took it back to Petco. They let me exchange the Wellness for something else. I asked for suggestions and the manager was standing there since he helped deal with the food exchange. He suggested Salmon since she's a retriever and it'd be good for her coat while still being easy to digest and that I give grain free a try as well. I asked which he recommended and he took me to Hill's Ideal Balance. Told me that it was the same company that makes Science Diet. When I heard that I was a bit leery since I've heard that science diet really isn't all that good either. But I decided to give it a shot. She's been devouring it. Soon as it hits the bowl she is eating it down. She's been eating that since Monday night and has had several nice bowl movements with no soft stool at all which is a nice change for her. She had a single gassy moment last night but I'm attributing that to the food still being so new to her without any slow change from her old food.

Here's the link to the food. I looked over the ingredients but I really don't know what I'm looking at. How does this food look to you guys here?
http://www.hillspet.com/products/ib-canine-adult-grain-free-salmon-and-potato-dry.html

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rotaryfun posted:

Since my last update, she had completely quit eating with any kind of regularity. Monday night, she went in the kitchen and grabbed a few nibbles then joined the rest of the family in the living room. 20 mins later she threw up whole chunks of kibble.

I bagged the food back up and took it back to Petco. They let me exchange the Wellness for something else. I asked for suggestions and the manager was standing there since he helped deal with the food exchange. He suggested Salmon since she's a retriever and it'd be good for her coat while still being easy to digest and that I give grain free a try as well. I asked which he recommended and he took me to Hill's Ideal Balance. Told me that it was the same company that makes Science Diet. When I heard that I was a bit leery since I've heard that science diet really isn't all that good either. But I decided to give it a shot. She's been devouring it. Soon as it hits the bowl she is eating it down. She's been eating that since Monday night and has had several nice bowl movements with no soft stool at all which is a nice change for her. She had a single gassy moment last night but I'm attributing that to the food still being so new to her without any slow change from her old food.

Here's the link to the food. I looked over the ingredients but I really don't know what I'm looking at. How does this food look to you guys here?
http://www.hillspet.com/products/ib-canine-adult-grain-free-salmon-and-potato-dry.html

Ideal Balance is a relatively recent "upscale" line from Hill's, and while I personally would rather stick with a company that's been doing grain-free/higher quality food for longer, there's nothing particularly objectionable about those ingredients.

e: That is one nice thing about buying from Petco, they have a satisfaction guarantee on all their products, which includes food. As long as you have half the bag left or more you can bring it back, even without a receipt.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I grabbed a bag of nutrisca (dry cat food) at Kroger since I guess I just wanted to get something aside from meow mix or whatever until I can afford to get something better online.

But uhh looking at the ingredients list on the bag it seems like this is some super loving healthy poo poo which is hard to believe since it came from a grocery store. I tried to do a search but apparently nobody in this forum has ever mentioned nutrisca once so anyone have any knowledge of where this poo poo stands in terms of dry cat food quality? I'm just second guessing because it came from Kroger.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

g0lbez posted:

I grabbed a bag of nutrisca (dry cat food) at Kroger since I guess I just wanted to get something aside from meow mix or whatever until I can afford to get something better online.

But uhh looking at the ingredients list on the bag it seems like this is some super loving healthy poo poo which is hard to believe since it came from a grocery store. I tried to do a search but apparently nobody in this forum has ever mentioned nutrisca once so anyone have any knowledge of where this poo poo stands in terms of dry cat food quality? I'm just second guessing because it came from Kroger.

It appears to be made by Dogswell, which apparently has food but is most known for its line of various treats for dogs a la Happy Hips glucosamine chews. Looks like their cat food is a relatively new product but I'm surprised to hear it's being carried at a grocery store.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Can anyone think of a reason for a cat to puke every time he eats wet food? There is no pattern for flavor or brand but it happens constantly, I think that may be why Butts is reluctant to eat anything but crunchy poo poo.

legasaurusrex
Jun 12, 2014

rotaryfun posted:

I use this site http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-science-diet-ideal-balance/ to look up dog food ingredients, they gave it three stars which is alright. I'm still learning too about ingredients and what to look for, hope it helps.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I am feeding ducks and geese at my local parks with cracked corn. I chose that because I know bread is not good.

I like the cracked corn because how small the pieces are, which makes it better to distribute. Its well spread out so more ducks can eat, as opposed to a small amount of bread pieces that not many ducks can get to.

Is there something else that is better to feed ducks than cracked corn that is inexpensive and widely available?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Corn is super high in fat but they are ducks in the park and it's not a huge portion of their diet so corn should be fine. If you wanted to nerd out you could buy gamebird feed from a feed store but it'd be comparatively expensive and not really worth the effort for park ducks you're just tossing treats to.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo's semi-new "Wilderness" line of food? Is it any better than their regular line or is it an excuse to mark up their stuff with no discernible difference ?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Ballz posted:

Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo's semi-new "Wilderness" line of food? Is it any better than their regular line or is it an excuse to mark up their stuff with no discernible difference ?

Maybe it now has all the ingredients they claimed to have or not-have the first time around?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bananaquiter posted:

Maybe it now has all the ingredients they claimed to have or not-have the first time around?

:golfclap:

Blue Buffalo is doubling down that they're fine and Purina is just a big ol' meanie and even calling out Purina about their jerky treats in similar communications. Purina has yet to release the results they claim show that Blue Buffalo uses what Blue Buffalo claims it doesn't - one of the chicken byproduct meals (I think).

I highly doubt that Purina would make poo poo up and possibly run into being actually called out on it. They would lose a whole heck of a lot if they did. Conversely, if BB is actually lying and has been for some time, they would lose a while heck of a lot as well.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I've been in the market for a new cat food for at least one of my cats, because she's been vomiting a little more frequently and having diarrhea once in awhile. Current food is Natural Balance tuna and shrimp, which she thinks is awesome. She's kind of finicky and likes new foods for a day or two and then turns her nose up, and she's really picky about consistency--for more solid pates, like when they come out of the fridge, she licks them to death instead of eating chunks and it's almost like she'll get tired of licking and give up. Then her sister, who scarfs her own food, runs over and eats the rest, or pushes her off and then finishes it. Sister eats EVO 95% venison because she was also vomiting with increasing frequency and the EVO worked pretty well as an OTC limited ingredient novel protein diet, once I graduated from vet school and could no longer get cheap or free Hill's RX diets.

So, I decided to cruise the aisles at Petco and see if I could find a couple different reasonably limited ingredient canned cat foods that might work for both cats, in terms of palatability, not causing excessive vomiting or diarrhea, and cheaper than EVO (or even Natural Balance) would be a plus.

I think the answer is Fancy Feast Flaked Fish and Shrimp. I kid you not. The ingredients are fish, shrimp, fish broth, and vitamins and minerals. It's cheap. Both cats love it more than their current foods and way more than the limited ingredient flavors of Natural Balance (I tried duck and venison as those were the most limited of the LID line). On a per-calorie basis, this flavor of Fancy Feast is 79% protein and 21% fat, 0% carbs, which is ridiculous, and even the EVO 95% line, while being fairly low carb, has most of the calories from fat, not protein. I don't actually know if feeding this much protein will make a difference, but if we were to go by the "what would they eat in the wild" theory, more protein would theoretically be better. It'd be awesome if it somehow keeps them satiated for longer so they don't pester me for breakfast at 6am but I'm not holding my breath.

So, in summary, the local Petco thinks I'm crazy because I bought 30 individual cans of one flavor of Fancy Feast (they didn't have it in a case). I will report back on whether it works out for their special snowflake GI tracts once they've been on it a little longer.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

This is a ridiculous question, but I was asked by a friend, so here goes.

She has a normally developing, hyperactive Golden/Labrador Retriever mix who is 7 months old. Her boyfriend just bought a bag of Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites Adult Dog Food. She is worried that since this does not say FOR PUPPIES on the bag, that this might harm him. Like.....cause hip displasia.

Please, enlighten me as to what happens if you feed a 7 month old dog regular dog food.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

sansuki posted:

This is a ridiculous question, but I was asked by a friend, so here goes.

She has a normally developing, hyperactive Golden/Labrador Retriever mix who is 7 months old. Her boyfriend just bought a bag of Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites Adult Dog Food. She is worried that since this does not say FOR PUPPIES on the bag, that this might harm him. Like.....cause hip displasia.

Please, enlighten me as to what happens if you feed a 7 month old dog regular dog food.

There isn't a hard and fast rule about when to switch from puppy food to adult food, because every breed is a little different in how fast and long they grow, and when you neuter them can also affect their metabolism and growth. But, it's common sense that puppy foods are formulated to support growth and maintenance foods are not, so if the dog is still growing significantly, they should be on a food that has the nutrient to support that.

Short answer: Is the dog still growing much, or has he kind of leveled out? If still growing, puppy food.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Dr. Chaco posted:

There isn't a hard and fast rule about when to switch from puppy food to adult food, because every breed is a little different in how fast and long they grow, and when you neuter them can also affect their metabolism and growth. But, it's common sense that puppy foods are formulated to support growth and maintenance foods are not, so if the dog is still growing significantly, they should be on a food that has the nutrient to support that.

Short answer: Is the dog still growing much, or has he kind of leveled out? If still growing, puppy food.

Thank you, that makes sense. He has pretty much leveled out, but her main concern was the hip displasia.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ballz posted:

Well, there's the fact that Wilderness is a high-protein grain free food and regular Blue Buffalo is not grain free. That's a pretty big difference that's relevant to some people.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Plus, different primary protein sources, like boar, bison, beef, rabbit, trout. I've had picky dogs that would shun chicken and stuff.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I ran out of hard food (I feed hard and soft), and this was on sale, but I don't see it in the approved list...is this an OK hard food?

http://www.holisticselect.com/product.aspx?pet=cat&cat=1&pid=79#ingredients

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LorneReams posted:

I ran out of hard food (I feed hard and soft), and this was on sale, but I don't see it in the approved list...is this an OK hard food?

http://www.holisticselect.com/product.aspx?pet=cat&cat=1&pid=79#ingredients

They pull the,"Grain free yay!!!" bullshit then add peas, potatoes, tomatoes, more potatoes, and pumpkin. I bet if they put all their ingredients together potatoes would be #1.

This is a food that has hopped on the marketing bandwagon. More likely far more expensive than it is actually worth.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
So speaking about "game" proteins, like boar, rabbit, venison, etc... where does that come from? How are those meats harvested?

I find those meats more appealing for some reason. My dog Moss (left) also finds them appealing, but she finds every food appealing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hunting I would assume. I forget who it is but one of the big brands has a kangaroo meat version I've noticed in the catalog. Pretty sure that comes from population control.

RiverPebble
Nov 28, 2007
Queen Hotpants
Hello, longtime sporadic lurker here hoping you guys could give me some good advice. I have a 7 month old kitten and I want him to eat better food. I live in Australia and we don't have a huge variety of cat food brands here, especially ones that make a kitten formula. As an example, the only brand available to me from the "premium canned foods" list in the OP is wellness, and it's only available at one pet store chain.
His current diet (which is based on what he was eating before we got him) is dry food available at all times (so he has something to eat while I'm out) and two meals of wet food per day.
I would really like the wet food to be the main part of his diet (or even the only part, when he's bigger and I feel better about leaving him without food to graze on), but he's not that keen on it. I started by giving him wellness core kitten formula, which he will nibble at but rarely finishes (won't even touch the regular wellness kitten formula). He also only nibbles at holistic select (not in the OP, so see here: http://www.holisticselect.com.au/canned-wet-cat-food-chicken-and-lamb). He does eat fancy feast kitten food, which is apparently a bit so-so in quality (possibly because his taste is also a bit so-so in quality? :newlol:). Maybe I just don't know better, but the ingredients don't seem all that horrible to me:

quote:

Meat and meat by-products (pork,turkey, chicken), milk, egg, natural and artifical flavours, gelling agent, vitamins and minerals, colours
Crude protein 11.0%, moisture 78%, crude fat 6.0%, crude fiber 1.5%
Regardless, I'd prefer he ate less of it because it makes him fart. :(
Another thing he'll eat is "Vet's all natural health roll" (info here, but you need to do a bit of scrolling to the cat/kitten roll: http://vetsallnatural.com.au/images/stories/Products/raw76.pdf ). It's a commercial raw diet, I think (and is available at pet store chains and at least one major supermarket chain, btw). I'm not savvy on raw diets and had no particular interest in feeding my cat one, I just thought I'd try it as a treat and he eats more of it than he ever does of the canned food. The advertising says it's complete and balanced and awesome etc (of course), but I don't think it has an AAFCO statement (although I don't think that's a legal requirement in Australia, if that means anything...). What I'd really like to know from you knowledgeable goons is whether you think this is a suitable staple for my kitten, given I'm not particularly clued in about raw diets and really just wanted to pick a high quality food off a list haha. It counts as "wet food", right, even if the moisture content isn't given?? (its not as mushy as canned food but... it isn't dry..) Apparently it gets pasteurised, does that mean it won't be full of salmonella? :ohdear: I'm feeling a bit clueless :eng99:
If the roll is better off in the "sometimes foods" category, then does anyone have any suggestions for getting the kitten to eat more food that's good for him? (have tried microwaving, it just turns it to mush and he still only nibbles at it). Is it acceptable to just keep feeding him the fancy feast until he's not a kitten anymore and I have more brands to try?
Thanks for your help and sorry for the wall of text!

tl;dr: I want my kitten to eat more wet food and less dry food but he only likes average quality food that makes him fart. Is a commercial raw preparation suitable as a staple given that I don't really feel like any kind of expert on raw food diets and was really intending to just be able to choose a good quality canned food from a list?

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
I'm not professionally trained in cat nutrition, but I work in a field that requires a lot of knowledge about it, so I apologize if I make a mistake.

The kitten will be lactose intolerant already (part of weaning) so the milk in the canned food is not good and almost certainly making him gassy. Meat (unspecified animal source per can -- not great if trying to figure out exact protein and stuff) and by-product (generally means the very low edibility parts) isn't great; it's often hard to digest so the accessible protein is essentially lower, AFAIK.

Why does the kitten need to eat wet food, is he having trouble drinking enough and at risk for kidney problems/UTIs?

I know the Wellness Core kitten wet is a pate, and since the Holistic Select doesn't say what kind it probably is pate too, which almost every cat I've met hates and only eats the gravy off of. Maybe the Fancy Feast is shredded or chunks? Try other cat foods that are in shreds, cats love that poo poo. Like (if you can get it) Blue Wilderness or Nutro Natural Choice.

I can't say anything about the raw food, 'cause there is no ingredient list. Sorry. All I can say is it has a good ratio of protein/fat.

RiverPebble
Nov 28, 2007
Queen Hotpants

Culex posted:

Why does the kitten need to eat wet food, is he having trouble drinking enough and at risk for kidney problems/UTIs?
No health problems, loves his water. He doesn't NEED to eat wet food, I just feel that wet is better than dry food, and the better the dry food, the exponentially more expensive it becomes (so I guess I feel like I'm getting better value for money with canned food haha). I'm quite happy for it to make up part of his diet, I'd just prefer it not be the biggest part. Just trying to get him to eat the healthiest that I can (and I got the impression from the OP that even fancy feast would be better than most dry foods - is this incorrect?).

Culex posted:

I know the Wellness Core kitten wet is a pate, and since the Holistic Select doesn't say what kind it probably is pate too, which almost every cat I've met hates and only eats the gravy off of. Maybe the Fancy Feast is shredded or chunks? Try other cat foods that are in shreds, cats love that poo poo. Like (if you can get it) Blue Wilderness or Nutro Natural Choice.
You're right - the holistic select is a pate, and you're right again - he does prefer the "shredded bits floating in gravy" kind (some of the adult wellness cans are like that and I have used them to bribe him to take medication in the past haha). The fancy feast is a pate too but I guess maybe its a bit less consistent in texture than the wellness? He also loves him some science diet kitten food, which has chunks in gravy, but I thought its ingredients weren't particularly amazing and I think it's less nutritious by weight than wellness or fancy feast so based on the feeding guidelines I'd be buying way more cans, which isn't what I'd prefer.
I don't have access to blue wilderness or nutro wet cat food here (it seems some places have the dog food so I'll keep an eye out in case they start stocking it). The brands of wet kitten food readily accessible to me are: advance, wellness and wellness core, science diet, fancy feast, whiskas and purina pro plan (I have just bought some cans of this so we'll see how they go), plus that holistic select is "all life stages".

Here are the ingredients of the raw "health roll" thingy from the packaging:

quote:

kangaroo meat, liver, kidney, heart, chicken, mixed vegetables, rice, potato, parsley, barley grass, garlic, kelp, flaxseed oil, lecithin, vitamin c. (Natural sources of taurine, vitamin A, D, calcium, copper, boron, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, zinc & sulfur.)
The nutritional analysis is in the link I posted before, as you've seen (16.8% protein, 8.1% fat, 6.3% carbohydrate, 0.4% fibre, 630mg/kg taurine etc).

Thanks heaps for your help!! :D

RiverPebble fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

RiverPebble posted:

No health problems, loves his water. He doesn't NEED to eat wet food, I just feel that wet is better than dry food, and the better the dry food, the exponentially more expensive it becomes (so I guess I feel like I'm getting better value for money with canned food haha). I'm quite happy for it to make up part of his diet, I'd just prefer it not be the biggest part. Just trying to get him to eat the healthiest that I can (and I got the impression from the OP that even fancy feast would be better than most dry foods - is this incorrect?).

You're right - the holistic select is a pate, and you're right again - he does prefer the "shredded bits floating in gravy" kind (some of the adult wellness cans are like that and I have used them to bribe him to take medication in the past haha). The fancy feast is a pate too but I guess maybe its a bit less consistent in texture than the wellness? He also loves him some science diet kitten food, which has chunks in gravy, but I thought its ingredients weren't particularly amazing and I think it's less nutritious by weight than wellness or fancy feast so based on the feeding guidelines I'd be buying way more cans, which isn't what I'd prefer.
I don't have access to blue wilderness or nutro wet cat food here (it seems some places have the dog food so I'll keep an eye out in case they start stocking it). The brands of wet kitten food readily accessible to me are: advance, wellness and wellness core, science diet, fancy feast, whiskas and purina pro plan (I have just bought some cans of this so we'll see how they go), plus that holistic select is "all life stages".

Here are the ingredients of the raw "health roll" thingy from the packaging:
The nutritional analysis is in the link I posted before, as you've seen (16.8% protein, 8.1% fat, 6.3% carbohydrate, 0.4% fibre, 630mg/kg taurine etc).

Thanks heaps for your help!! :D

I just went through this recently so i will give you some of my findings. I think i read nearly every label in petbarn, coles woolworths and tried to get Miss fussy to eat most of them.

Last month Wellness Kitten (wet) couldn't be obtained in Australia.

Download and read "Pet dangers report" from here.

http://www.catvet.com.au/cat_care.html

This study advices not to feed cats pre made raw cat food because when they were tested the salt content is dangerously high. Raw pet food (or any other type of pet food) in Australia isn't covered by any standard or health guideline. The only thing pet food makers by law need to put on the label is "pet food only". The rule of thumb (in oz)if you are going to feed your pet raw meat them feed it human grade meats.

Here are some other options

Petbarn has a kitten shredded chicken in rice sauce in store, it was cheapish $2 and good value. (my Miss fussy wouldn't eat it)
http://www.ultimatesindulge.com.au/content/where-to-find-it/gjijt4
(be careful with some of ultimates range as some of it supplementary feeding only)

Dine also has a new shredded chicken for kitten (saw it in coles). I haven't tried it because it recommends feeding 4 cans a day and most of Dines other range is supplementary feeding only so i won't let Miss fussy to experience the taste.

Here are couple of other brands you might consider as they either have a kitten product or they are all life stage foods. All seem to be decent foods.

http://www.naturesgift.com.au/our-products/cat/

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/products/canned-chicken-cat/

http://www.ziwipeak.com/moist-cat-food-ziwipeak-daily-cat-moist-cuisine/

http://www.canidae.com.au/canned-cat-food/felidae-cat-and-kitten-formula-canned

I am still feeding mine fancy fest kitten turkey (1can a day), wellness (Dry)complete kitten mixed(10bits ish)into felix pouches (2 a day) (not kitten but 13% protein) and some Pets own milk over the top of one bowl of felix to increase her calcium intake (OZ product from coles). For treats (Miss Fussy doesnt like normal treats)she gets some raw beef or lamb off cuts from my local butcher.

My advice to anyone in oz looking for a new cat food is read the label. Most of the wet cat food sold here are AAFCO statement supplementary feed only.