Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Celery Face posted:

Well, this thread is called irrationally irritating movie moments for a reason.

I can only think of one legit complaint with Knocked Up right now and it's not really the movie itself. It's how Katherine Heigl called Knocked Up "sexist" because her character is humourless and uptight. Which is weird because her character has every reason to act like that in the situation she's in. I thought the point was that the manchild needed to learn to grow the hell up, not that she had to stop being such a "killjoy." It's even weirder that Heigl went on to produce and star in The Ugly Truth and that's a pretty sexist movie.

There's this dumb horror movie I watched a long time ago where there's this evil spirit called Jumby. How is anyone supposed to take something with a goofy-rear end name like that seriously?

Also her character was just Katherine Heigl so she should probably work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Aphrodite posted:

Also her character was just Katherine Heigl so she should probably work on that.

Yeah I got the feeling the character was humorless and uptight because Katherine Heigl is a shithead in reality and it comes across in her roles.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Crap, wrong thread. Ignore.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is it irrational to be annoyed that he gets away with some rapey poo poo? Even as a child who had not even heard about social justice warriors I never liked that first "date" she's forced to endure, Rocky just getting way up in her space just keeps pressing on until she gives in. It's pretty lovely.

Disclaimer in case some cannot understand that a person can like a film and still disagree with given characters and how their scenes play out.

Late, but I've seen Rocky probably 50 times and never read that scene that way, although I get why some people do and have heard it proffered before. To me, it was a scene about two awkward misfits who were uncomfortable in their own skin and didn't know much about love. Seemed to me, Adrien was overcoming her fear of feeling ugly, never being loved, being abused and shamed by her alcoholic brother and scared about her virginity.

Rocky was just a big, soft-hearted palooka who didn't know any other way. He broke thumbs and punched people in the face for a living but still felt bad about it. Adrien was a mousy, abused, shamed, fearful, battered and repressed caretaker who never had a chance to blossom or live any sort of life because of Paulie (note how she blows up at him later in the film when he tries to shame her for having sex).

I always found that scene tender in its own way given the context and the nature of the characters. It was awkward bit not "rapey" to me, since the characters are established as awkward misfits.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Celery Face posted:

There's this dumb horror movie I watched a long time ago where there's this evil spirit called Jumby. How is anyone supposed to take something with a goofy-rear end name like that seriously?

The demon in Paranormal Activity 3 is named loving Tobey. The one in Sinister is called Mr Boogie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

The demon in Paranormal Activity 3 is named loving Tobey. The one in Sinister is called Mr Boogie.

Everyone shout out all their favorite demon monster villain's secret names.

I've got "Pazuzu" from Exorcist and "Linoge" from Storm of the Century.

e: it was "Linoge" because his name was "Legion" solved by scrabble blocks in perfect Stephen King logic.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Technically, he's the Baghoul, but that name is just as dumb

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Celery Face posted:

My parents use the word "jumby" as a slang for ghost, I think it's a common slang for the West Indies but I have no idea if it's used anywhere else.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

homewrecker posted:

My parents use the word "jumby" as a slang for ghost, I think it's a common slang for the West Indies but I have no idea if it's used anywhere else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbee

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

syscall girl posted:

I've got "Pazuzu" from Exorcist.

Captain Howdy :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finally someone else recognizes my complaint from the OP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdE2VdasvEU

:siren:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Captain Howdy :colbert:

Look, you have to have the true name to defeat the monster. That is how these things work.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CJacobs posted:

Finally someone else recognizes my complaint from the OP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdE2VdasvEU

:siren:

You could make a video like this for literally everything on Spike TV.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

syscall girl posted:

Everyone shout out all their favorite demon monster villain's secret names.

I've got "Pazuzu" from Exorcist and "Linoge" from Storm of the Century.

e: it was "Linoge" because his name was "Legion" solved by scrabble blocks in perfect Stephen King logic.

At least Pazuzu was a real Mesopotamian mythological demon. So it's got that over Mr. Boogie and Tobey.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I think The Prestige is my favourite movie, but there's a bunch of dialogue at the end that bugs me.

Angier has just been shot and takes the time to commentate his realisation - and the audience's realisation - that Borden was actually using a double. "Brothers... twins... you were Fallon all along..." There's the standard flashbacks to previous moments in the film, most of which have extra revealing moments added, which is all great and interesting and does a good job of answering the questions that need answering - but over it all is Angier and Borden explaining everything awkwardly as though the audience wouldn't have understood if it wasn't explicitly explained.

It's a clever film that assumes the audience can understand what it's saying, and most of that dialogue is completely unnecessary.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I bet there was a test audience screening without the voiceover, and people complained they didn't understand.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HopperUK posted:

I bet there was a test audience screening without the voiceover, and people complained they didn't understand.

I heard the same thing about the ending to Silent Hill and it's awful voice over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I've seen, that voiceover isn't enough. People still don't get it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, people still seem to think that Borden actually bought a cloning machine from Tesla.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So is there an official nerd explanation as to why Peter Parker can climb walls even when he's wearing gloves and shoes?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Because Peter Parker is actually Spider-Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He normally can't climb walls when wearing actual shoes. The exception of course is the costume which is supposed to have thinner material on the palms and soles.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Seventh Arrow posted:

So is there an official nerd explanation as to why Peter Parker can climb walls even when he's wearing gloves and shoes?

There was a Marvel encyclopedia that stated that his suit uses a very thin material specifically so it doesn't hinder his wall-crawling.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Esroc posted:

There was a Marvel encyclopedia that stated that his suit uses a very thin material specifically so it doesn't hinder his wall-crawling.

Yeah I thought about that, but sometimes you see him clinging to surfaces even with sneakers on. Then again, I think he's always had his hands on the surface also.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Spider-Man's real power is reality warping, it just manifests as spider powers.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah I thought about that, but sometimes you see him clinging to surfaces even with sneakers on. Then again, I think he's always had his hands on the surface also.

Apparently his "real" wall-crawling ability is comic book physics involving atomic friction or some other pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo. Only the Raimi films tried making it filament based. So theoretically he might be able to stick with shoes, at least in his comic incarnation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Spider-Hyphen-Man doesn't work or answer for any big crowd like SHIELD, how is he able to maintain his costume? He'd have had to spent loads of time experimenting suitable materials as well learning how to sew a skin-tight suit with an overly elaborate cosmetic-design.[/nolife]

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Aug 18, 2014

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

eating only apples posted:

I think The Prestige is my favourite movie, but there's a bunch of dialogue at the end that bugs me.

It's a clever film that assumes the audience can understand what it's saying, and most of that dialogue is completely unnecessary.

So, every Nolan movie then. Chris Nolan couldn't make a film that wasn't dependent on a character painstakingly explaining everything that's happening during the plot to the audience. He's the worst "show, don't tell" abuser in filmmaking. I'll never get why people think his movies are great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

So, every Nolan movie then. Chris Nolan couldn't make a film that wasn't dependent on a character painstakingly explaining everything that's happening during the plot to the audience. He's the worst "show, don't tell" abuser in filmmaking. I'll never get why people think his movies are great.

No, he's saying literally the opposite.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If Spider-Hyphen-Man doesn't work or answer for any big crowd like SHIELD, how is he able to maintain his costume? He'd have had to spent loads of time experimenting suitable materials as well learning how to sew a skin-tight suit with an overly elaborate cosmetic-design.[/nolife]

I'm not sure what the movies' explanation is, but I'm almost certain that the comics claimed his spider powers included an instinctive knack for sewing.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He should make his suit out of spidersilk and it'd explain how he can stick to poo poo plus would be durable.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I think Godzilla would have been better suited if they had just followed a bunch of different people instead of the one uninteresting guy that just happens to always be in the right place.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I think Godzilla would have been better suited if they had just followed a bunch of different people instead of the one uninteresting guy that just happens to always be in the right place.

Or follow the interesting guy they loving killed off in the first act.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Or have Godzilla on screen for more than 10 minutes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It felt like a weird half-measure to focus on the boring son. I think switching the protagonist was actually a cool move, but it should have been to Ken Watanabe's character. Who was far more interesting.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tyrannosaurus posted:

This would have also improved World War Z, where Brad Pitt's character is somehow there for like every major event around the globe and even discovers that zombies avoid sick people. Something every doctor, nurse, or anyone else working in the medical field failed to notice first

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Yeah, spend half the time on the human characters that no one cares about anyway and get to the monster fighting. You get to see a portion of the fight in Hawaii, but then the movie spends foooooorreeeevveeerrr putting all the humans in place for the big finish. Just get to it. Who do they think watches a Godzilla movie for the plot?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Away all Goats posted:

This would have also improved World War Z, where Brad Pitt's character is somehow there for like every major event around the globe and even discovers that zombies avoid sick people. Something every doctor, nurse, or anyone else working in the medical field failed to notice first

World War Z also gets my goat for how no one at Israel saw the zombies piling up on the walls because some people decided to sing. You idiots have watch towers, helicopters, and presumably people coming in through the outside tunnels and they didn't see it?

Also how they almost gave Pitt a sidekick but then decided to headshot that idea.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the comics science is way forward. In Ms. Marvel people like Reed Richards and Tony Stark have pushed things far enough that an AP chemistry student can figure out how to make poo poo like super-stretchy polymers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's saying literally the opposite.

Not as I read it. Unless you misunderstand me and think I'm saying Nolan is good at "show, don't tell." I'm saying he's incapable of it.