Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Your Computer posted:

The method I've always used which is really fast is warp to the Crestfallen's Retreat in the forest of giants, go up to where the Heide Knight was/is and kill the hollows there one by one in the same spot so their corpses stack up. Hit that pile with you slow downward attacks and your durability will go down in no time.

Thanks. I think i'll do it offline. My dude is level 250+, and oddly enough, people like invading there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What makes Santier's spear so busted?

High damage w/ Raw, excellent movesets, long range, infinite durability, and fairly low requirements/weight for a weapon of its type. There's nothing particularly stand-out about it, it's just really good in every major way.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Tallgeese posted:

1984 would be a different story if you could Steam Family Share yourself away from the wrath of Big Brother in five minutes with no repercussions, that's for sure.

Was the random control pattern even used in 1984? I though it was just a regular resource intensive punish everybody for everything approach. I don't like that crappy novel enough to reread it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
does infusing w/ Raw drop RoB bonus similar to other infusions?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

does infusing w/ Raw drop RoB bonus similar to other infusions?

Nope. IIRC scaling bonuses are only reduced when you apply a non native infusion (i.e. poison to a non-poison weapon will have a reduction, but poison to a poison weapon will not).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Your Computer posted:

The method I've always used which is really fast is warp to the Crestfallen's Retreat in the forest of giants, go up to where the Heide Knight was/is and kill the hollows there one by one in the same spot so their corpses stack up. Hit that pile with you slow downward attacks and your durability will go down in no time.

If you go to where the bird nest is in Things Betwixt and use the two-handed spinning attack it will break pretty fast. The two birds I can't remember the name of can't be seen, hurt, or killed, but they still count for wearing down weapons.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

Nope. IIRC scaling bonuses are only reduced when you apply a non native infusion (i.e. poison to a non-poison weapon will have a reduction, but poison to a poison weapon will not).

hm.

adding poison to the black scorpion stinger reduces RoB+2 to 40 so I was worried

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hm.

adding poison to the black scorpion stinger reduces RoB+2 to 40 so I was worried

I guess I don't IIRC

Maybe it just works that way for elemental stuff, and not poison/bleed? I remember receiving the full bonus on something like a Lightning Defender's Sword, could just be remembering wrong. :shrug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You remember wrong, infused weapons with built in elemental damage of the same type get 4/5 of the bonus from any +AR items, so RoB +2, Sacred Oath and max Flynn's all give 40.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anyone have some pro tips for making the Dark Chasms more doable as a Dex melee character? The drangleic Dark Chasm is giving me nightmares, I feel like I don't have enough room to not get my face smashed in.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Calidus posted:

Anyone have some pro tips for making the Dark Chasms more doable as a Dex melee character? The drangleic Dark Chasm is giving me nightmares, I feel like I don't have enough room to not get my face smashed in.

If you have enough STR for a great bow you can cheese the heck out of it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Calidus posted:

If you're really scared, you can always fall back to poison arrows. At the very least, trying to pull one enemy at a time is helpful. Otherwise, it's just being proficient at dodging, and being able to land backstabs/parries will also help a ton. Barring that and depending on your stats, you can opt to use one of the weapons with a special R2, like the Curved GS, and use it to knock Havel et al into pits.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Calidus posted:

You can stunlock most of the phantoms with a good spear (Pate's). You can't stunlock Havel so I just parried him to death. I really loving hate the Chasm, though, because a lof of the enemies are insanely strong, especially that guy with rapier, don't let him get a poke at you or you'll probably dead. Also a 100% magic resist shield is nice to make the casters a non-issue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Isn't there a pyromancer in one of those as well?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Isn't there a pyromancer in one of those as well?

Two actually, a pair of Jeremiah clones.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Calidus posted:

I just ran around the hole near the end, usually they'd try to get past one another and fall in until there was only one left. The Havel was pretty trivial to goad into falling down too.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Man I am a huge fan of the Dragonslayer Spear now. It's super good.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Beard Yawn posted:

Why did you give us the weapon but not the armor, From? How could you do this to me, especially now when you could animate the plume?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Tallgeese posted:

Why did you give us the weapon but not the armor, From? How could you do this to me, especially now when you could animate the plume?

I am super mad about this though. :( There were a few armor sets that I was really hoping would make a return and that was near the top of the list.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the Dragon covenant set works pretty well as a Dragonslayer subsitute, at least. Sort of thematically works out, too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The tail is stupid looking though.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

The tail is stupid looking though.

Plus you no longer drink with your neck, just sad all around really.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i for one am glad i can live out my furry dragon fantasies

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Beard Yawn posted:

I've been using it for the last couple days and it really is, although a lightning Heide Spear has the advantage of being able to use Sunlight Blade and being a couple units lighter. Nailing people with both parts of the 2h R2 never gets old, but the 1h R2 seems real bad.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

what am I missing
I'm dyin' here

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

THE PENETRATOR posted:

what am I missing
I'm dyin' here
I think you're missing Soothing Sunlight. Have you invaded Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I did, waht the gently caress
well I guess I need to go to another NG and get to the crypt real quick

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

what am I missing
I'm dyin' here

Wait, Wrath only has one base casting? How many loving cheaters have I been invaded by? :dawkins101:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

what am I missing
I'm dyin' here

Super useful, click on Checklists: http://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-2-cheat-sheet/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Wait, Wrath only has one base casting? How many loving cheaters have I been invaded by? :dawkins101:

It's not hard to get a bunch of casts. 43-ish Att gives a second cast, and some helms like Hexer's hood give +1 casts to all spells. So three casts per attuned wog.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to mention the ring. Yeah ok that does cut your HP in half but that also increases the cast number.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

It's not hard to get a bunch of casts. 43-ish Att gives a second cast, and some helms like Hexer's hood give +1 casts to all spells. So three casts per attuned wog.

Nah I'm talking 5+ casts on someone w/o casting gear with HP too high to be using a Northern Ritual Ring. Usually the same type of people who get mad when I try to heal. I guess it's their way of punishing my LACK OF E-HONOR since they always start spamming it immediately after I chug a few Estus :rolleyes:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Ahhh, fashion. Knighthood's highest calling...

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Nah I'm talking 5+ casts on someone w/o casting gear with HP too high to be using a Northern Ritual Ring. Usually the same type of people who get mad when I try to heal. I guess it's their way of punishing my LACK OF E-HONOR since they always start spamming it immediately after I chug a few Estus :rolleyes:

They might be slotting multiple WoG spells. It possible to get multiple instances of the spell by NG++, it uses only a single spell slot and there isn't that much competition for miracle spell slots.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's up with the character name creator? I can't make a new character because I can't get a name that will be accepted. Even if I try just random characters it's a no go. I tried a few dozen combinations but no luck. What's worse is you can't exit of the game while you're picking your name, so you have to go to task manager ans shut the game down that way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nice Shirt posted:

They might be slotting multiple WoG spells. It possible to get multiple instances of the spell by NG++, it uses only a single spell slot and there isn't that much competition for miracle spell slots.

Oh I know! Of course, this was on NG itself :v: I know these games in and out so I always know if there's even the potential to have some weird weapon or spell at a certain point. I think the most egregiously obvious cheater I've had was a blue phantom on NG who (without a rank 2 aura, mind you) proceeded to walk up to me and spam 1600 damage WotGs at me while I barely did 200 with my +10 buffed spear.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Anything you think might be hacking short of unlimited health/endurance or instakill stuff is gettable legitimately. Anybody that wants to be level 800 could do it pretty easily, the game's been out long enough.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Anything you think might be hacking short of unlimited health/endurance or instakill stuff is gettable legitimately. Anybody that wants to be level 800 could do it pretty easily, the game's been out long enough.

Did you miss the part where I said a blue phantom who wasn't Rank 2 and wasn't on NG++ somehow had multiple casts of Wrath of the Gods? You know, the spell you can only get at Rank 2 in the Blue Sentinels or on NG++??

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Having spells? Thats a hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Having spells? Thats a hack
Much like your Dark Souls 2 skills, hey-o