Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who in the name of rear end is still playing Doom 2 vanilla levels these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I can't believe there are people hating on The Citadel, that is a pretty good map with a lot to do and explore.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Former Human posted:

He's way too lenient on The Plutonia Experiment there, which is nicer to look at, yes, but full of the same annoyances as vanilla Doom 2, if not moreso.

Plutonia's levels are inconsistent in design, quality and difficulty. Often levels seem to be out of order, where one level is really large and difficult and the next is really easy. There are tons of areas with slime and lava that don't cause damage, but on other maps they do. Why not just use a different floor texture? There's no way to predict it. There are tons of repeated brown stone textures. Hellspawn love bricks, apparently. There are also about a million Chaingunners and Revenants, including in monster closets and tight areas that make it annoying rather than fun, just like Doom 2.

Plutonia also uses way too much gimmicks, traps, and "theme" levels. There are places where you have to walk over chasms on invisible bridges like Indiana Jones with no way to tell where the floor is until you try it and fall over and over. There are crushing ceilings placed at random for no reason other than "surprise, you're dead!" There are also floors that drop out from under you randomly for the same reason. You have to fight tough enemies on early levels (Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Arch-Viles by Map 03) with weak weapons. In fact the first few levels aren't very good in general. There are places with textures but no physical walls, so the enemies can see and attack you and you have no idea anything was there. The gimmick level Map 11: Hunted is just plain bad.

TNT is less ambitious but more consistent in quality. I can forgive them both because they were made in 1996, but today they don't hold up well at all.

Plutonia has some real dogshit levels after revisiting it. The early few are a chore to work through.

The super shotgun was really the main value of Doom 2, along with a more robust range of mid-level monsters.

edit: but TNT is just really pretty bad, plutonia at least has some good poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "main value" of Doom 2 was adding enemies who could do things other than throw a fireball at where you were five seconds ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Me, I'm currently playing it for the first time before trying out some user-made stuff.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best version of Plutonia and TNT in my opinion are the ones from the PSX's Final Doom.

All the core maps are there, while the more gimmicky ones dropped. And due to limitations, the high end monsters are used much more sparingly.

Oh, and the ambient soundtrack fits the mood much better.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The "main value" of Doom 2 was adding enemies who could do things other than throw a fireball at where you were five seconds ago.

yeah but one of them is the fuckin pain elemental

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Speaking of the ol' skull-barfin' meatball: are there any mods that exclude them from fast monsters? It's loving horrible to have them hover in place and shoot souls at you as fast as they can as long as they have line of sight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I just learned about Doom RPG and DoomRL Arsenal. And that War of Attrition released a 1.60 version earlier this year that totally overhauled how character progression worked.

War of Attrition comes with a huge pile of community maps to play it with, but can anyone recommend a good megaWAD for DoomRPG? And is it possible to get Doom to play the WAD in random order, like War of Attrition?

I really enjoy WoA, and I think a Doom or Heretic version would be pretty fun. This looks like the closest thing that exists at the moment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of the ol' skull-barfin' meatball: are there any mods that exclude them from fast monsters? It's loving horrible to have them hover in place and shoot souls at you as fast as they can as long as they have line of sight.

I just disable their attack entirely most of the time I play.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Kid posted:

I just disable their attack entirely most of the time I play.

Wait. How do I do that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

Wait. How do I do that?

I don't remember what variable it was precisely, but it's in this BEX file I like to use that also raises the health and ammo limits by a lot:
http://fishmech.net/yodog.bex

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I've been messing with a Doom source port trying to figure out how to add motion blur and jesus this is some loving spaghetti code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9G6GcvieOQ

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fag Boy Jim posted:

When I'm testing new mods (and new versions of mods) I usually load them up in Doom II and see how quickly I can blast through the first four or five maps on UV. That's about the extent of it nowadays.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mak0rz posted:

Wait. How do I do that?

If you stand in front of a Pain Elemental, it can't spawn Lost Souls! :haw:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Just wait for it to spawn so many lost souls that the level is full, then make sure the elemental dies first!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The pain elemental isn't bad in and of itself. It's just that some map makers (I'm looking at you TNT and Plutonia mappers) had this weird fetish for putting Avogadro's number of them in every monster closet.

Elliotw2 posted:

Just wait for it to spawn so many lost souls that the level is full, then make sure the elemental dies first!

I thought that many ports removed that limitation?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

So I just learned about Doom RPG and DoomRL Arsenal. And that War of Attrition released a 1.60 version earlier this year that totally overhauled how character progression worked.

War of Attrition comes with a huge pile of community maps to play it with, but can anyone recommend a good megaWAD for DoomRPG? And is it possible to get Doom to play the WAD in random order, like War of Attrition?

I really enjoy WoA, and I think a Doom or Heretic version would be pretty fun. This looks like the closest thing that exists at the moment.

DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal is a fuckin' winning combination. Been binging on it lately (finally went through the entire Doom 1! :v:) and it's just super fun. It does make you incredibly OP tho - you can get crazy poo poo like a minigun with explosive ammo and an automatic double barrel shotgun with a 20rd mag - but they're amazingly fun to use. Nothin' like walking in a room full of monsters, holding down M1, sweeping the crosshair around and having a mound of bodies in front of you a second later :hellyeah:

Geight posted:

If you stand in front of a Pain Elemental, it can't spawn Lost Souls! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

That's loving amazing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Linguica posted:

I've been messing with a Doom source port trying to figure out how to add motion blur and jesus this is some loving spaghetti code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9G6GcvieOQ

:pwn: Put in HDR effects and a brown filter and you can call it next-gen Doom.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
No, you also need to make doomguy only barely able to crawl, and give him regenerating health.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I don't know if it's a source port change or whatever but if you shoot a revenant it will try to rocket you no matter the distance. However, if you punch it it will get pissy and keep trying to punch you back. It sure makes it easier to hulk out.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Tippis posted:

I thought that many ports removed that limitation?

In zdoom it's a toggle, but I believe it is set to not limit them by default yeah. It's kinda funny if you turn the limit on and the first Pain Elemental you find in a map can't fire at you because the mapper already put the maximum amount of Lost Souls in the map already.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Gimnbo posted:

I don't know if it's a source port change or whatever but if you shoot a revenant it will try to rocket you no matter the distance. However, if you punch it it will get pissy and keep trying to punch you back. It sure makes it easier to hulk out.
This isn't true. Revenants have a chance of retaliating with a rocket no matter how you damage them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Korendian Leader posted:

This isn't true. Revenants have a chance of retaliating with a rocket no matter how you damage them.

That actually makes sense since I only ever shoot them with the SSG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Geight posted:

In zdoom it's a toggle, but I believe it is set to not limit them by default yeah. It's kinda funny if you turn the limit on and the first Pain Elemental you find in a map can't fire at you because the mapper already put the maximum amount of Lost Souls in the map already.

This happens in one of the Doom 2 maps on UV apparently.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's The Pit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool when level designers use the Lost Souls limit to encourage you to play the level a certain way, like the level (10?) in DT2WID where you have a maze with lost souls that you can avoid until after you deal with the pain elemental sections.

Also Doom 2 vanilla levels are still pretty drat good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Korendian Leader posted:

This is why I still have trouble dealing with Revenants to this day. They've got a big random factor at range, and up close there's a dice roll deciding whether they harmlessly whiff a punch at you or blow your goddamn face off.

Even if I'm short on ammo, the moment I see one I break out the rocket launcher or plasma. I can whittle down other enemies at my own pace, but Revenants need to die straight away.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't remember what variable it was precisely, but it's in this BEX file I like to use that also raises the health and ammo limits by a lot:
http://fishmech.net/yodog.bex

Neat! Thanks!

God dammit "Agitating Skeleton" gets me every time.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For some reason, the comment about Pain Elements generating an Avogadro's Number of Lost Souls made me think of something bizarre: Pain Elementals that spawn more Pain Elementals.

The downside being that if they don't summon Lost Souls, they can't really do any damage this way. It'd just be silly to watch as the room slowly fills to the brim with Pain Elementals.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

For some reason, the comment about Pain Elements generating an Avogadro's Number of Lost Souls made me think of something bizarre: Pain Elementals that spawn more Pain Elementals.

The downside being that if they don't summon Lost Souls, they can't really do any damage this way. It'd just be silly to watch as the room slowly fills to the brim with Pain Elementals.

There's definitely a way to do this, I played a gimmick wad with this change in BEX file years ago.

Interesting thing was that it would reliably crash Zdoom at the time if you let it run long enough (obviously with invincibility on so you wouldn't get knocked into the various lava pits and such around that they were meant to push you into), but PrBoom would happily keep chugging along.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Shadow Hog posted:

An arena that gradual grows smaller as big meatballs start to flood the area would be kind of funny with the right setup. It reminds me of all the times I get killed by goatmen because a pinky blocks my dodge.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
How about Pain Elementals spawn two more Pain Elementals first, and then they start to spawn Lost Souls? :unsmigghh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mogomra posted:

How about Pain Elementals spawn two more Pain Elementals first, and then they start to spawn Lost Souls? :unsmigghh:

Or, to save on coding, they spawn Pain Elementals until they hit a limit, then they all spawn Lost Souls until they hit that limit. You only need to make one monster type that way! :pseudo:

Edit: vvv now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 18, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I quickly just made Lost Souls spawn Lost Souls when they die, here's a trip report just before GZDoom totally froze

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Linguica posted:

I quickly just made Lost Souls spawn Lost Souls when they die, here's a trip report just before GZDoom totally froze

Now run it on NUTS.WAD

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Wasn't there a video out there of Archviles turning into barrels when they die, and when the barrels explode, they turn into more Archviles? I can't find the video for the life of me right now...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All I can think is shotguns.pk7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDd30z8taR8