Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I am invested in the show. I'd rather trust that the show runners know what they are doing and go on the journey they want to share with me.
That having been said, I still am questioning just what the hell I am watching. Which might be the point.
It reminds me of the film Cookie's Fortune. Which also featured Liv Tyler. Odd. Anyway, I was watching it and it felt painfully slow. At one point I realized that was a deliberate pacing choice and I accepted that people who know what they are doing got to together to make a thing. Then I enjoyed the hell out of a skillfully made movie. I hope this is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This show is just The Matrix. Everyone is just in a suspended animation reality but they just don't know it. There was a minor power failure in the grid and that caused some people pods to break and go offline yanking them from the world.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fateo McMurray posted:

This show is just The Matrix. Everyone is just in a suspended animation reality but they just don't know it. There was a minor power failure in the grid and that caused some people pods to break and go offline yanking them from the world.

I'd be cool with that explanation.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Season 3 is when Michael Gaston will give the chief the red/blue pill option.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
This was the biggest fence sitting show I've ever seen in my life. Like 50% of the people who watched the first few episodes declared they hated the show and never watched it again. Vs the other 50% who all said the exact same thing: "I THINK I hate it, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to keep watching".

I don't know a single person who "Loves" the show. They either think they hate it but arent sure yet, or they think its ok, but arent sure if its worth watching next season yet. I've never seen such fence sitting on a TV show before.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I just got caught up with the show and I'm actually beginning to empathize with some characters now, and it's keeping my interest a lot more than around the episode 5 mark when I nearly bailed. Plus Nora's rear end and titties were fantastic. :stare:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like the show, I think it's one of the best shows on right now. I just give no shits about trying to convince a bunch of babies why they should watch it even though it's not Lost.

P.S. I like Liv Tyler.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

This was the biggest fence sitting show I've ever seen in my life. Like 50% of the people who watched the first few episodes declared they hated the show and never watched it again. Vs the other 50% who all said the exact same thing: "I THINK I hate it, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to keep watching".

I don't know a single person who "Loves" the show. They either think they hate it but arent sure yet, or they think its ok, but arent sure if its worth watching next season yet. I've never seen such fence sitting on a TV show before.
I'm a fan.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't know if I love this show, but I think it's incredibly underrated and thought-provoking. This show... Goes outside of my comfort zone. Does that make sense? I always have a certain degree of trepidation before I watch an episode of this show, because I'm never sure if something is going to hit slightly too close to the mark for me. It addresses and deals with certain subjects in an indirect manner that I find very thought-provoking.

I only really got to this point of really liking and committing to the show after 'Guest', though. I was a little bit on the fence before. But that was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a *very* long time.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Its had a couple of weak episodes but overall the show is good, and most of the weak episodes were just setting up later good stuff.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
This show does have a loving amazing intro. One of the best I've ever seen. I do kinda wish it escalated in tempo a bit and got more dramatic as it went on though. But as it is, it's still a loving great intro.

Oh and Black Sails also has a phenomenal intro as well. loving amazing.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

This show does have a loving amazing intro. One of the best I've ever seen. I do kinda wish it escalated in tempo a bit and got more dramatic as it went on though. But as it is, it's still a loving great intro.

I really like it too. Looks like an homage to Pozzo, with the fake dome and everything.

Glory of St. Ignatius: http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/component/content/article.html?id=159

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

JayMax posted:

I really like it too. Looks like an homage to Pozzo, with the fake dome and everything.

Glory of St. Ignatius: http://www.haltadefinizione.com/en/component/content/article.html?id=159

Is there anywhere online that has more of the opening fresco?

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Ashrik posted:

I don't they have so much of an end game as they are an "everything is bullshit after the not-rapture" kind of expression of grief, depression, or nihilism. I haven't read the books or anything, and I'm sure that they'll be explored more at some point in time. I'm sure I don't have a good understanding of the whole thing, because that seems kind of juvenile. But like juveniles, I can see them working themselves up with a series of more antagonistic stunts until they do something well and truly hosed up.

I'm betting they ordered those truckloads of Real Raptured Dolls and are going to dress them up and leave them in the homes of their loved ones, or burn them in effigy on their lawns.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was hoping you guys would see the little Jeff K shoutout on the refrigerator!

I was working on the show for a little while and was able to get that in there for fun :toot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Snowy posted:

I was working on the show for a little while and was able to get that in there for fun :toot:

Now I want there to be a Jeff K character in the GR who does nothing but criticize the appearance of everyone on the show.

Via notepad.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
jeff k that old american king?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Snowy posted:

Haha, I noticed it! I thought it was way too far-fetched for it to actually be a real SA reference, though. Nice.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I love this show. The music is fantastic and they use it well. So far, at least.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

MickeyFinn posted:

I love this show. The music is fantastic and they use it well. So far, at least.

I was only peripherally aware of Max Richter before this show aired and now he's one of my favorite contemporary composers.

The show's OK too, I guess. :unsmith:

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
This episode was worth watching just to see Liv Tyler get slapped.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Did we ever learn why her friend was crashing there to begin with?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OhHiMaahk posted:

This episode was worth watching just to see Liv Tyler get slapped.

I hope it happens often, or better yet not shown at all and is only alluded to off screen so that the GR get little time devoted to them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ah so that's why they took the photos

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh gently caress

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The guilty remnant is drinking the koolest of aid

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

My reservations about this show have disappeared over the last two episodes. It's getting a lot of smalll payoffs for things it set up earlier in a way that LOST didn't.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Here's the church
Here's the steeple
Open the door's
here's all the sex doll/grief surrogates?

does't exactly scan does it?

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So that was.....uhhh......what

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Eukodol posted:

Here's the church
Here's the steeple
Open the door's
here's all the sex doll/grief surrogates?

does't exactly scan does it?

I'm telling y'all, effigies on loved ones' lawns.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn
Fuckin Patti man....whats the point of being a martyr when no one UNDERSTANDS what the hell you are being martyred for? The GR are like those Halle Bopp kooks with better style.

I think it'd be cool if, say, heaven took their 2%, now Hell gets to take their 2%, then Armageddon over whats left.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
wtf with the shirts nailed up in the woods? Grave markers or something? Kevin Tyler Durden has been pretty busy.

nopants
May 29, 2004
argh why can't these assholes just tell me if jack died.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Turned out that it was easy to make a "show about nothing", as long as that show was a comedy. Seinfeld will forever be known as the program that showed us how that could be done. But it would take nearly two decades before a final, entertaining, serious dramatic form of the "show about nothing" could finally be released to American TV audiences.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Maybe its not a good idea to get rid of the best actor on the show

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Darth Ballz posted:

Fuckin Patti man....whats the point of being a martyr when no one UNDERSTANDS what the hell you are being martyred for? The GR are like those Halle Bopp kooks with better style.

At this point, I'm beginning to think that the Kevin POV represents an unreliable narrator and that the things Kevin apparently sees and does do not represent an accurate account of events. Cause if we're really supposed to believe that Patti killed herself to almost but not quite make a point to Kevin, well, that's pretty loving retarded.

Alternately, if the writers intend her "martyrdom" to be taken at face value, then either the writers are attempting to convey the idea that Patti is loving retarded and can't even martyr herself in an effective or expedient manner... or the writers believe the viewers are loving retarded and will simply accept the idea that "Patti is now a martyr in the grand Judeo-Christian tradition" because it had some of the superficial trappings of the aforesaid.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Dog killer dude was definitely talking to voices in his head as he stormed out of the cabin, ala Garvey Sr. I got my money on them being a suicide cult, and the M.D. plan a way for them to get the town to go into a rage and martyr them. The GR seem to really want to be remembered... what better way than getting martyred and making the national news?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That was a good episode, this is a good show. I like how the Twins are trying to explain stuff for people too, that was great.

Dog Killer dude not having any background is interesting too.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Tomahawk posted:

Have there been any full fledged flashbacks in this show yet? I figure one of the last 3 episodes has to be heavily flashback focuses.

The next episode is called "The Garveys At Their Best" which makes me think it's going to be a flashback episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

so how full of poo poo was Patti when she talked about how Gladys was cool with being killed and that the GR was responsible? Cuz Gladys was straight up abducted off the street with no witnesses and begged for her life the whole time. Did she have second thoughts, did the GR do it against her will, or did the GR have nothing to do with it at all? Although if they did do it, the brief flashes that Laurie had of Gladys getting stoned during that episode make a lot more sense since she could've actually been there herself.

Another good episode though. I'll play ping pong with you, twins :unsmith:

• Locked thread