Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I never had these dreams as a kid until after I read this strip. Then I had them all the way through high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones: Actions Speak

(Yep, even Sergio occasionally draws the dreaded "golf strip")

Spy vs. Spy

Hi there, Grey Spy! I believe this is the only time she was used in a newspaper strip.

Bonus: The last "Spy" comic Antonio Prohias had a hand in. He sketched out the gag and Dave Manak did the artwork. From Mad 337, July 1995.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Beetle Bailey

Hmmm . . . this sounds familiar . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsJmrI2XFg

:stonk:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Huh. I don't even know if this early "Spy" comic ever ran in MAD. I don't remember seeing it in the reprint collection.

Taken from the original art:

I know "Spy vs. Spy" is all about these two guys killing each other, but this one is really twisted for me.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

Huh. I don't even know if this early "Spy" comic ever ran in MAD. I don't remember seeing it in the reprint collection.

Taken from the original art:

I know "Spy vs. Spy" is all about these two guys killing each other, but this one is really twisted for me.

They just can't resist each other, much like Petey and Ernesto.
Hey! Speaking of, look who's in today's strip!

Heathcliff remains bizarre.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

That burn in the last panel is... pretty clunky. Might give some credibility to Mike's theory, though.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Why even use your Addams Family/Munsters ripoff characters just to do yet another "SHEEPLE!! AND POLITICS!!! :arghfist::saddowns:" comic?

He's never used them for anything else.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

:neckbeard:

The last five panels are wonderful. Love the art on the little guy.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I missed this one because its solution wasn't nearly obtuse enough to be an Inspector Danger strip.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

That burn in the last panel is... pretty clunky. Might give some credibility to Mike's theory, though.

Dialog's wrong though.
Here's the real first strip:

edit: And I found the second one hidden deep in Go-comics basement for some reason.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 18, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

You know, I'm a completely stereotypical geek. I like video games and nerdy TV shows and novels and so on. And I hate sports and all associated cultural paraphernalia. But every time I read this strip, I want to go buy a case of beer and invite everyone I know over to watch the game. I don't even know what game, because I have no idea what kind of games are happening right now, but by God this strip enrages me so much that I will find out and watch it anyway JUST TO SPITE THIS ARTIST.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Blhue posted:

I missed this one because its solution wasn't nearly obtuse enough to be an Inspector Danger strip.

I do really like the idea of this CEO sitting there in his office with a comical bump on his head, waiting patiently for Inspector Danger to arrive rather than, you know, going to the hospital to deal with what could very well be a concussion.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

You know, I'm a completely stereotypical geek. I like video games and nerdy TV shows and novels and so on. And I hate sports and all associated cultural paraphernalia. But every time I read this strip, I want to go buy a case of beer and invite everyone I know over to watch the game. I don't even know what game, because I have no idea what kind of games are happening right now, but by God this strip enrages me so much that I will find out and watch it anyway JUST TO SPITE THIS ARTIST.

You just missed a killer wrestling PPV. Maybe Intelligent Life is all a ploy to get buyrates up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Start slow by reading Big Ben Bolt, the boxing comic I just posted a few posts up. The new Sunday storyline just started and even involves a nerd vs. jock story that's already way more nuanced and satisfying than anything Intelligent Life has sharted out so far!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

idonotlikepeas posted:

Football is starting, and there is no game more stereotypically jock than football.

F Minus

Maybe it's about that ice bucket challenge that the kids are doing on their pacebooks.

Mary Worth

Oh. So...it's not over then? I mean I'm ok with that, I just thought with the recap and all it was over.

Rex Morgan MD

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Oh. So...it's not over then? I mean I'm ok with that, I just thought with the recap and all it was over.

Swimming lessons, come on swimming lessons!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Swimming lessons, come on swimming lessons!

Swimming lessons with coach Kapuht!

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

R Ubbish fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 18, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I love this. You are a treasure.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wait a minute, I know why it went so well. That's not actually Olive they're taking back, it's Danny DeVito in a wig.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BC

Candorville

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Mandrake the Magician (1942-04-26, 1942-05-03)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

Aw for bollock's sake

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

At least it's not Michael Brown :smith:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yet. This guy also had Trayvon Martin iirc.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
This is when Candorville is at its most embarrassing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assumed that was a Tiggum special, but no, it's real.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac sufferin' succotash.

The Creeps is running, like, 14 years behind or some poo poo.

Puketropica boy, I can't wait for the day when I can make a pooptropica joke.

Heathcliff

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

And... He loving nails it! Nice! And yeah, Candorville. :wtf:?

Jane's World

Mozzarella cheese sticks with Ranch dressing are my dessert cereal. :v:

Non Sequitur

Oh, come on Wiley. Great way to start the week.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

That's probably the second violinist and he has a page of rests, and also had a rough night the night before. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/18/2003

Constantly horny, or sexually repressed? You be the judge.

Zits

That's a helluva vibrator there, Pierce.

Kevin & Kell

Christ.

:)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Fingerpori Goes Comedic Band

So... are you ready for Finnish comedic music? Because this shitshow will start with multimediaaaaaargh!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HxSvX5azLY
(turn closed captions on you pagans)

Next time: an actual comic!
Ei enää käy kimppuuni! :allears:
Um, but what's up with the plastic bottles of "pelikan"? I assume it's not liquid bird being poured down their asses.

Gotta be ready in case the aliens attack.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pidmon posted:

At least it's not Michael Brown :smith:

How much you wanna bet that Darrin is going to double down and have Michael show up while Robin is still around?

Have some Ham Shears to aleviate the pain.

Economy of storytelling! :v:

The Dinette Set

Wait, aren't smoking sections illegal now?

(I would totally eat at a place called "Burgers & Such")

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poil posted:

Um, but what's up with the plastic bottles of "pelikan"? I assume it's not liquid bird being poured down their asses.
Pelikan is a manufacturer of fountain pens and ink. Not sure who came up with pouring it down schoolboys' bums but I hear Finnish nights can get a bit long.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke drops off another smoldering heap in today's comic.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bah! I Spit on your Comix!

A lot of letter carriers actually do carry dog treats around on their routes. It calms down the excitable dogs and distracts the mean ones.

Ballard Street

Come on, Nancy, you can't just do some wacky thing without any buildup or reason and expect to get laughs. It's not the nineties anymore.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

*beats the crap out of Python*

"Now let me explain why we're here…"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 30, 1927)

Peanuts (August 21, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean, in which the Immaculately Pure Artist thinks he's found a way out.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 1-2, 1925)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

• Locked thread