Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

unwantedplatypus posted:

Once again Paradox proves how out of touch it is with the player base as they insist on terrain map mode.

Fortunately for HOI4 we will dumb down the mousepad by making it more accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Realized I missed my chance to get Podcat autographing my mousepad with "Hitler was right."

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Drone posted:

Realized I missed my chance to get Podcat autographing my mousepad with "Hitler was right."

haha, if we do hoi4 mousepads at some point I promise I'll sign yours

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I would love to get my hands on a hoi4 pour le merite-esque medal if you're thinking about selling them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Drone posted:

Just got back home from my Gamescom trip, here's some photos of the swag Paradox was giving out. The EU4 mousepad is massive.

I WANT THAT MAP.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Once again Paradox proves how out of touch it is with the player base as they insist on terrain map mode.

I actually only play in terrain mode if I can help it.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Wiz posted:

We have those EU4 mousepads at work, they're great.
Do you guys sell those mousepads? I want one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would love to get my hands on a hoi4 pour le merite-esque medal if you're thinking about selling them.

I don't think I have any extras of the Pour le Merite medal, for some reason I only unpacked one of them. My partner and I are both keeping the shirts/mousepads. About the only thing I have extras of are the Pillars of Eternity flasks and one extra Fan Gathering medal (since my partner isn't a huge Paradox fan anyway).

I'd feel a bit scummy selling the extras in a thread filled with Paradox devs though.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

I mentioned to some journalists after handing over swag bags that it was pretty awesome that we gave out actually useful stuff these days (referencing the pillars hip flask) and they looked a bit strangely at me ;D

Drone posted:

I'd feel a bit scummy selling the extras in a thread filled with Paradox devs though.

We don't give a poo poo

I know marketing is working on selling more stuff so perhaps it will be possible. I just hope they take my suggestions of WW2 general waifu pillows seriously

podcat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 17, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

podcat posted:

I just hope they take me suggestions of WW2 general waifu pillows seriously

Do it, the Rommel ones alone will pay for all of them.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Do it, the Rommel ones alone will pay for all of them.

Rommel-senpai! did you wear sandy shoes to bed??!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why would you want a war criminal inn your pants?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

podcat posted:

I just hope they take my suggestions of WW2 general waifu pillows seriously
You are my favorite person Podcat. I just want you to know that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why wouldn't you?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Luigi Thirty posted:

Most Paradox players already have a war criminal in their pants - themselves.

Unless you can find one that hasn't done terrible things of some stripe or other ever in any Paradox game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Actually, I've cut down on the native genocide since EUIV started giving you extra base tax for it.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Phlegmish posted:

Actually, I've cut down on the native genocide since EUIV started giving you extra base tax for it.

Thread title right here.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you nuts? Just look at him:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiz posted:

Fortunately for HOI4 we will dumb down the mousepad by making it more accessible.

The sense of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced it's new mousepads...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you don't want any war criminals in your pants we're going to have a very small selection.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I know it didn't enter service in ww2, but HOI4 always has a bit of alternate history going on as well as the war sometimes lasts a bit longer. That's why I'd like a WWWaifu pillow of Patton but his lower half is a M48 Patton main battle tank.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

podcat posted:

I just hope they take my suggestions of WW2 general waifu pillows seriously

Finally, it's good to hear that Paradox is renewing its commitment to deep tactical strategy, and rejecting the filthy casual masses :patriot:.

Will I be able to play HoI4 via terminal?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Finally, it's good to hear that Paradox is renewing its commitment to deep tactical strategy, and rejecting the filthy casual masses :patriot:.

Will I be able to play HoI4 via terminal?

Terminal fail aids, hah. Give me Carrier Pigeon Protocol or give me death.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I know that in V2 crises, Great Powers can supposedly get "bribed" with wargoals to join a side and I've seen a side adding a wargoal several times.
How the hell do I get a war goal for joining a crisis myself?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GrossMurpel posted:

I know that in V2 crises, Great Powers can supposedly get "bribed" with wargoals to join a side and I've seen a side adding a wargoal several times.
How the hell do I get a war goal for joining a crisis myself?

You don't AFAIK. You either get offers or you get jack poo poo.

drat shame the crisis system will never be overhauled, it could really benefit from a facelift.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There's one really weird thing about crises: AIs can add wargoals for themselves when leadnig a side, but you can't, as far as I know. I assume it's a bug that's just never going to get fixed, it's pretty weird

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palleon posted:

HoI2's naval combat boils down to: Have better positioning tech than your opponent, watch your ships completely obliterate his entire fleet before they can fire a shot, or vice versa. All the other upgrades are not as important when it seems like the vast majority of combats end up as only one side being able to fire.
HOI2's naval combat was an arms race to see who could deploy the best, fastest 30 Destroyers to beat the poo poo out of the enemy Destroyers.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Drone posted:

Just got back home from my Gamescom trip, here's some photos of the swag Paradox was giving out. The EU4 mousepad is massive.

I got the same mousepad at PAX East. And yes it is massive.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Well, here's the full HoI4 playthrough from Gamescom/Fancon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A

Sadly enough I was locked up in a production truck during the whole thing so I didn't get any of the buffet bar a muffin.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
The many upgrades to the game are looking great, even purely from a playability standpoint. The tech trees, production lines, vehicle variants, day/night cycles and so on in particular. Exciting.

Hopefully it will give players more ways to win their war. I hope its also ruthlessly ahistorical in the vein of more recent Paradox games. The way that research works with enhanced stats for things suggests that games can play out a lot more differently. I've always wanted to see a dev really mess with the research aspect like that.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 18, 2014

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Harmonica posted:

I hope its also ruthlessly ahistorical in the vein of more recent Paradox games.

To be fair, all our games are ahistorical as soon as you hit the unpause button.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

A_Spec posted:

To be fair, all our games are ahistorical
:colbert:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

A_Spec posted:

To be fair, all our games are ahistorical as soon as you hit the unpause button.

Yeah, but progressively less so as you move up the line, which is what I think he was saying. Compare CK2 where it's pretty standard to end up with Zoroastrians or Cathars ruling the world (and then fighting Aztecs) to Vicky, where the major powers are locked into the game.

It obviously doesn't need to swing to the CK2 extreme, but more chances to massively derail the train can be fun.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

A_Spec posted:

What do you mean you don't remember the Bohemian Succession war of 1445 where Burgundy who was allied with the Habsburgs won against Brandenburg? And let us not forget the time of Burgundian Castille after the Castillian Succession war of 1481 where the mighty Duke of Burgundy beat the French? Next thing you want to deny the 4th crusades where Burgundy beat back the Mamlukes and re-re-re-conquered Jerusalem!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

What do you mean you don't remember the Bohemian Succession war of 1445 where Burgundy who was allied with the Habsburgs won against Brandenburg? And let us not forget the time of Burgundian Castille after the Castillian Succession war of 1481 where the mighty Duke of Burgundy beat the French? Next thing you want to deny the 4th crusades where Burgundy beat back the Mamlukes and re-re-re-conquered Jerusalem!

The bloody war of Castillian Succession was practically decided in the battle of Madrid, where our 1000 troops were almost unscathed whiled fighting 1000 Burgundian troops who suffered some losses.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I saw that there is a Westeros mod for CK2. Is that as simple as putting the file somewhere and checking the box on the launcher, or is it more of a Total Conversion nightmare? Does it play well multiplayer? Is it solid/any good?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I have no idea how it plays in multiplayer, but it's very good, and all it takes to get it up and running is dropping it in the mod folder and checking a box in the launcher.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a download I can get without having to register for some forums I'll never use? the link in the OP goes there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Elendil004 posted:

I saw that there is a Westeros mod for CK2. Is that as simple as putting the file somewhere and checking the box on the launcher, or is it more of a Total Conversion nightmare? Does it play well multiplayer? Is it solid/any good?

1.) It's an installing .exe, piece of cake.
2.) Yes
3.) Very yes.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot/downloads

There you go, no forums registration at all. It was the first result on Google of "CK2 mod Game of Thrones"

Edit: March of the Eagles is 75% off this week on Steam. Is it worth a fiver?

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 18, 2014

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

The bloody war of Castillian Succession was practically decided in the battle of Madrid, where our 1000 troops were almost unscathed whiled fighting 1000 Burgundian troops who suffered some losses.
That whole history page needs to be redone or thrown out. It classifies forming a colonial nation as "xx,xx,xx,xx and xx provinces were lost during xxxx's reign".

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any tips on how to game the ruler designer in CK 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Elendil004 posted:

Any tips on how to game the ruler designer in CK 2?

Go to defines.lua in located somewhere in the steam game folder and set all the designer values to 0. :v:

A good way to score easy points otherwise is to give yourself the celibate trait and then give yourself a kid or two.

• Locked thread