Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

revolther posted:

Arguably, if you can appreciate tube amps and tone woods, you should appreciate the original content of the game. You are arguing for hybrid amps and laminate Martins; similar to the original but "improved" by modern manufacturing, which really is no improvement, similar but different.

I swear to god if this starts an argument about vintage guitars I'm bringing the entire site down with me!

Anyway, using TLOU as an example there's absolutely nothing better about the PS3 version. The PS4 version is a huge improvement in nearly every area. Of course I don't want to play the original Super Mario Bros in 1080p (well I kinda do actually) but any game PS2 forward I'd love in 1080p/60fps even without any other improvements.

VVVVV that

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I say, if it's a 3D game and has a realistic rendering style, making it closer to real using improved lighting and stuff is always an improvement. When things are not in a realistic style that makes things somewhat more complicated, but if it's 3d, higher resolution rendering and higher frame rate will still probably improve it across the board.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I say, if it's a 3D game and has a realistic rendering style, making it closer to real using improved lighting and stuff is always an improvement. When things are not in a realistic style that makes things somewhat more complicated, but if it's 3d, higher resolution rendering and higher frame rate will still probably improve it across the board.

This, plus it's not like you HAVE to buy it. I think just about every gen without full backwards compatibility has done remasters. They did it on SNES with Mario AllStars, for example. The first part of 360/PS3 also included them. It's not that big of a deal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's also a lot of us who never got to play the old games. I never touched Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider or Metro because they came out an inconvenient times, and TLOU is now my favourite multiplayer game - if the beta is any indication I prefer it over Destiny.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

leidend posted:

There's also a lot of us who never got to play the old games. I never touched Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider or Metro because they came out an inconvenient times, and TLOU is now my favourite multiplayer game - if the beta is any indication I prefer it over Destiny.

Yeah, my PS4 is the first Sony console since the PS2. I was a 360 guy and think that Gears and Halo were better first partys than what Sony offered. Just finished TLOU remastered and that was a great way to first experience the game. The timing of the PS4 release is a reasonable excuse for a remaster. The people buying it for just the 60fps(which is great)doesn't make sense to me, unless you are diehard for the multiplayer which is fantastic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've never done a pre-load on the PS4 before, it sure didn't seem like Diablo 3 was downloading for very long, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything now. Did it really download all of it?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I dream about Socom 2 1080p60 multiplayer.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never done a pre-load on the PS4 before, it sure didn't seem like Diablo 3 was downloading for very long, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything now. Did it really download all of it?

Mine did it while in standby so no idea how long it took, but the says 29GB in the application data. Unless that's just the max size set aside and not actual install size.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just changed my name on SA but I guess I'm stuck with leidend on PSN forever eh? Heh

revolther
May 27, 2008

NNick posted:

I dream about MAG 2 1080p60 multiplayer.
fixed

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Planetside 2 will be out eventually, and it will be glorious.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It's me, I'm the guy for whom they put 30fps mode in TLOU. I also watch TV and movies on my Plasma without the motion interpolation and 24fps mode as much as possible. I actually liked HFR on the one Hobbit movie but for me, old school frame rates are great. If a game could do cinematic 24fps properly, with accurate blur and the like I would probably prefer it. I hope we get at least 30fps options for some games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

NNick posted:

I dream about Socom 2 1080p60 multiplayer.

I know it's not the same, but did you know that there's a spiritual successor to SOCOM in the works? H-Hour: World's Elite is coming to PC/PS4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

It's me, I'm the guy for whom they put 30fps mode in TLOU. I also watch TV and movies on my Plasma without the motion interpolation and 24fps mode as much as possible. I actually liked HFR on the one Hobbit movie but for me, old school frame rates are great. If a game could do cinematic 24fps properly, with accurate blur and the like I would probably prefer it. I hope we get at least 30fps options for some games.

That's what the Xbox One is for.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ultimate Mango posted:

There's nothing wrong with that but if you have a plasma and don't take advantage of the plasma + 60fps combo ugggggh. It's so flawlessly smooth! Gotta do you though right?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's nothing wrong with that but if you have a plasma and don't take advantage of the plasma + 60fps combo ugggggh. It's so flawlessly smooth! Gotta do you though right?

It's especially useful if you're playing older systems through an adapter and have a screen much larger than the developers ever thought their game would be displayed on. Some 2D stuff like Super Metroid and Contra: Hard Corp. looks really really nice and smooth with the right settings, great results.

Those smoothing and extra framerate choices, while typically on by default, are actually made for when you're watching sports and other live stuff, which look incredible with it. It's totally understandable to have it completely off when watching a movie or whatever.

Though oddly some nineties movies just, like, it just adds to the gaudiness when that smoothness is added in on top, like I almost prefer Terminator 2 with it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 18, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neo Rasa posted:

It's especially useful if you're playing older systems through an adapter and have a screen much larger than the developers ever thought their game would be displayed on. Some 2D stuff like Super Metroid and Contra: Hard Corp. looks really really nice and smooth with the right settings, great results.

Yeah I had no idea about that until I played some old Nintendo games on my ST50. Blew my fragile long time LCD using mind apart. I will eventually move to an LED but my one experience with plasma has been special, mainly with gaming. I'm glad I skipped them until they basically perfected all of the issues that plagued plasmas for so long though.

Personally I have to turn off all of the extra settings, even with sports. I just don't care for it at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverse Centaur posted:

Just changed my name on SA but I guess I'm stuck with leidend on PSN forever eh? Heh
I am still holding out some hope that they will eventually allow name changes (for a fee I assume), but only a little.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Is there a reason why when I start the Diablo 3 download, it starts as ___/28 GB then turns into ___/5417 MB?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

Is there a reason why when I start the Diablo 3 download, it starts as ___/28 GB then turns into ___/5417 MB?

are you downloading the european version?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

are you downloading the european version?

I'm in Canada, so pretty sure that's a no.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Have played a lot of D3 on the PC and I am quite tempted to get it on the console. Can someone link what gameplay features are added to the console version?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

28 gigs is the total download, 5417 MB is the amount needed to start a game if you were buying it after release instead of preloading it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

revolther posted:

Firstly, audiophiles still prefer analog and tube amps, and there are all kinds of pricks that will argue the superiority of betamax or laser disc and even some movies with definitive editions on old rear end formats that may never transfer properly. Secondly games aren't a limited pressing experience like a live concert or a Polaroid. Thirdly, this isn't Beatles Anthology or some bullshit where a hippy is dead and thus it can never be the same, it's two year old games and if the market forces dictate kicking out remixes of God of War till the end of time is "good enough" we'll ALL experienced diminished results.

Folks are praising TLOU lately, given your mindset, why should ND have bothered making a game of limited resources and "emotionally gripping" story telling like TLOU if the world was willing to rebuy Uncharted every year and a half.

Edit remasters of other media usually also justify their existence with new material, b sides, extended footage, not everything you could have bought before bundled conveniently.

MGS3 Subsistence is an okay example, gameplay is changed, more of the levels crafting and details are able to be enjoyed because of the new camera options. Smoother frame rate, not really.

I bought both TLOU and TLOU Remastered and I loved it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Cameo posted:

28 gigs is the total download, 5417 MB is the amount needed to start a game if you were buying it after release instead of preloading it.

Oh God dammit! I almost had the whole thing downloaded but deleted it cause I thought the download got corrupted... :gonk:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Fragger posted:

Also let's forget that most of these remasters are:

Being done by different teams, don't cost that much to do and will feed money into other games from that studio or team.

I really do not see a problem with them at all

Also, they're really not that different from a "game of the year" or "complete edition" release. It just feels scummy because of the dearth of big games so far this generation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tenzarin posted:

Have played a lot of D3 on the PC and I am quite tempted to get it on the console. Can someone link what gameplay features are added to the console version?

Controller support and remote play.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

You need more than playing with a controller on your couch?

I think there is some kind of adventure mode where after you beat the game you can go back and do some random maybe cool task in a random part of each act for a rift to fight something for loot. I think there is boosting XP for characters playing together with a big level gap. And some kind of dungeon with enemies inspired by other PS games, like the TLOU clicker.

drat maybe I need to buy this, especially with the new loot system. I stopped playing when I realized I was not playing but watching the auction house for negligible upgrades and not able to sell the tons of crap drops I ever got.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was actually looking forward to using the 30fps mode to see the improved shadows, but the game shipped with a glitch in one area that produces artifacts with that enabled so I just left it at 60. Whenever I turn 30 back on it clearly looks stuttering compared to a moment ago but I'm sure that within a few minutes I'd stop caring.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tenzarin posted:

The big thing mechanically beyond the controls is a dedicated dodge ability.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

I was actually looking forward to using the 30fps mode to see the improved shadows, but the game shipped with a glitch in one area that produces artifacts with that enabled so I just left it at 60. Whenever I turn 30 back on it clearly looks stuttering compared to a moment ago but I'm sure that within a few minutes I'd stop caring.

Was that pretty much every building in Bill's town? I noticed that too, but it didn't go away when I switched to 60. Tons of seams in the shadow maps and daylight shining in through the walls.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

Was that pretty much every building in Bill's town? I noticed that too, but it didn't go away when I switched to 60. Tons of seams in the shadow maps and daylight shining in through the walls.

Yes, but for me it did go away at 60.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I chalked it up to switching back and forth a ton in that section because I was screwing with checking out the differences in photo mode. As weird as it looked it was strangely cohesive looking for light blaring though nothingness, so it had that going for it. Wasn't too distracting unless you were paying attention to it.

On to Pittsburgh again for me though. :getin:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Remasters usually exist for movies that have been out for decades, not a year or two.

This is like getting mad that the Blu-ray for Batman Begins came out one year after the DVD. It's real dumb.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Where is my Mass Effect Trilogy on PS4 EA?! There's one thing I want from you guys and you can't even get that right...

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The Ikagura and Radiant Silvergun creator is making a PS4 exclusive shooter: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-will-get-a-new-shooter-from-creator-of-critica/1100-6421776/

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Reverse Centaur posted:

Creepy GoT sausage guy avatar is gone forever.

Speaking on remasters, they are fine. I hate motion-smoothing but 60fps games always use native refresh so it's a non-issue. They can be taken too far, though. Square-Enix is a great example of a publisher that is addicted to re-releases and it's just another on a long list of issues that has led to their decline.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

timeandtide posted:

The Ikagura and Radiant Silvergun creator is making a PS4 exclusive shooter: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-will-get-a-new-shooter-from-creator-of-critica/1100-6421776/
All I want is another Bangai-O or something like it...

edit: just imagine how many missiles and explosions you can get onto the screen with the PS4's hardware. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 18, 2014

rafiki
Mar 23, 2010
I get a disconnected wire icon on my screen pretty often trying to play TLoU online. I sort of keep up with this thread but I've never seen anyone mention it, does it just mean my wifi is taking a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

rafiki posted:

I get a disconnected wire icon on my screen pretty often trying to play TLoU online. I sort of keep up with this thread but I've never seen anyone mention it, does it just mean my wifi is taking a poo poo?

PlayStation isn't the greatest for WiFi. Make every attempt to be wired even if it means having a cat5 strung throughout your house from the router to your PS4. That being said, when my PS4 is in the living room and not in my office I do not follow this rule and am wireless. I have no problems playing TLoU multiplayer.

• Locked thread