Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not sure it 100% makes sense for a dwarf's tongue to be covered in water just because he's been in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shuffle posted:

is there a reason I'm still getting mass migrations of dwarven children even though my [BABY_CHILD_CAP] is set to 5:5? Of my total 92 dwarves atm 35 are children.

I'm using the 40.08 r3 starter pack

That only prevents pregnancies. It's a shame.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Try pasturing I mean burrowing your children in a convenient dry reservoir, magma chamber, danger room, or gladiatorial pit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

So I'm very new to actually playing DF. How is it that my carpenter has no job-

-when all of this is queued up(and carpentry is turned on, of course)?

If I had to guess your carpenter is probably up a tree. This could be problematic if he's carrying your only axe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IronicDongz posted:

I'm not sure it 100% makes sense for a dwarf's tongue to be covered in water just because he's been in the rain.

Wait until you see what happens when they get sweaty. Sweaty throat. Sweaty tongue.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
A goblin pikeman hosed up my axedwarf's arm which made him drop his axe, so he beat him down with his shield and crushed the goblin's skull :black101:

edit: He just got out of bed to attend a party instead of fixing his broken arm

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 18, 2014

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Can dwarves cry from happiness? My chief medical dwarf made a silver crossbow in a fey mood and had tears in her eyes afterward.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IronicDongz posted:

This rain is making me thirsty

Mlle posted:

Can dwarves cry from happiness? My chief medical dwarf made a silver crossbow in a fey mood and had tears in her eyes afterward.

you had better put that thing to use and tell us the stories of the silver crossbow.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It will make an excellent bludgeon.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

atomicthumbs posted:

This rain is making me thirsty

They're finally here, Urist! The Mackinaw Peaches!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I vaguely recall that the artifact accuracy bonus doesn't apply to ranged attacks, so it may in fact serve better as a bludgeon than a crossbow.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like it'll be great though since marksdwarves love to go bash things once they run out of ammo.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Gus Hobbleton posted:

In other news, I generated the Reddit World

"The Cage of Women" also works.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I could only highlight one.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I had my fingers crossed for a hammer when I saw she'd grabbed silver, but I'm looking forward to artifact crossbow bludgeoning!
What skill would that use anyway?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hammers, amusingly enough.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, looked away for a season and when I came back half my fortress was dead and the living half was locked in a tantrum spiral. I wonder what happened - the logs don't go back far enough and the combat log isn't giving me any information. Is there any way to figure out who kicked this whole thing off, or is it time to reclaim?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Gamelog.txt. Go!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you really wanted to, go open up the gamelog.txt in your main DF directory and scan that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I also changed my mind about liking taffer_20x20.png all that much. It's a little too fuckhuge for my 4:3 display.

Cooz' 16x16 with Andux 9x12 feels pretty great.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, even the logs aren't really giving me any more information. A completely uninteresting Shearer went from alive to dead in the space of the two adjacent lines
"Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer cancels Clean Self: Resting injury.
Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer has been found dead."

It looks like a handful of dwarves just dropped dead. I looked back through the logs and there's no combat or injuries that might have led to it.

edit: oh, I think I know what happened. There were some gray langurs running around outside. One must have entered the compound and scared my dudes into jumping into the fishing pond. I'd seen it happen earlier and foolishly left a couple of water squares uncovered. Lesson learned, but the fortress was lost!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 18, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

None of the quality of life improvements in dfhack or other utilities has swayed me from my stodgy grognard gitoffmalawn attitude, but that and multilevel rendering are darn tempting.

Prop Wash posted:

Huh, even the logs aren't really giving me any more information. A completely uninteresting Shearer went from alive to dead in the space of the two adjacent lines

It looks like a handful of dwarves just dropped dead. I looked back through the logs and there's no combat or injuries that might have led to it.

Any titans or forgotten beasts go leaving their dust or ichor around?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

edit: oh, I think I know what happened. There were some gray langurs running around outside. One must have entered the compound and scared my dudes into jumping into the fishing pond. I'd seen it happen earlier and foolishly left a couple of water squares uncovered. Lesson learned, but the fortress was lost!

I'll be happy to tell you that the new version just fixed the "out of the fire and into the glowing pit" bug.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prop Wash posted:

I had something similar, dozens dead, endless brawling. I retired the fort and then immediately unretired it. 12 more dwarfs had died in the lost 2 weeks, but all the brawling stopped. Unfortunately they didn't get all the corpses cleaned up in the meantime, so soon there was miasma making the unhappy people miserable enough to start throwing tantrums and fights again.

I thought about retiring again, playing a new fort for 6-12 months and then going back. That should be enough time for any stray corpses to rot down to bone, and enough time for tempers to mellow out. But by then my FPS was down to 8, plus there was no iron on the map, so it hardly seemed worth the trouble to try to salvage the fort. For a fort you like it might be better than abandoning and restarting with 7 new guys.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are these Kobolds up to?

quote:

3: Yariwitofi Cethutha Thifa, "Womencrevice the Mines of Panting", cave
Owner: Chladaslayrus, kobolds
Parent Civ: Thukukrimbus, kobolds
261 kobolds

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just got most of an elven caravan's goods for free because one of the traders was paralyzed with fear when he tried to walk across my refuse pile full of corpses and dropped everything he was carrying.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just got most of an elven caravan's goods for free because one of the traders was paralyzed with fear when he tried to walk across my refuse pile full of corpses and dropped everything he was carrying.

It's not for free. It counts as if you stole it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

scamtank posted:

I also changed my mind about liking taffer_20x20.png all that much. It's a little too fuckhuge for my 4:3 display.

Cooz' 16x16 with Andux 9x12 feels pretty great.

Yeah, taffer 20x20 is really big, but I like it. I usually use my mouse to bring the zoom level back one; that makes it about right, at least for me, and since the tiles are so big, there's no weird zooming visual artifacts either.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Well, it counts as if it got lost, if it's the same as the old versions. Still counts against their profit, but eh, they're elves, they would have just brought more cloth anyways.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

It's not for free. It counts as if you stole it.

Elves don't really mind that though. In fact, they don't even mind if you flat-out murder them and take all of their stuff.

Just, for Armok's sake, don't ever offer them anything made out of trees unless you want to start a war with them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Felime posted:

Well, it counts as if it got lost, if it's the same as the old versions. Still counts against their profit, but eh, they're elves, they would have just brought more cloth anyways.

Elves sometimes bring sunberries, which make the greatest booze known to dwarfkind. They also occasionally show up with all sorts of weird and wonderful animals for trade. I've gotten some awesome war animals and exotic pets from those treemongers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Elves sometimes bring sunberries, which make the greatest booze known to dwarfkind. They also occasionally show up with all sorts of weird and wonderful animals for trade. I've gotten some awesome war animals and exotic pets from those treemongers.

Oddly enough, if they like you they're more likely to just bring tons of cloth.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
A child entered a Fey Mood and later went berzerk.

More than 100 dwarves died in the resulting tantrum spiral.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

A child entered a Fey Mood and later went berzerk.

More than 100 dwarves died in the resulting tantrum spiral.

Mods change my name to Fey Mood Berzerker, tia

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Oddly enough, if they like you they're more likely to just bring tons of cloth.

Man, they must loathe my guts then. All I get is a few lumps of dirt, tons and tons and tons of wooden furniture/clothes and some apricots.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What exactly is the process for upgrading an install of DF to a new version, while keeping saved games and edited raws? Do I just manually copy over the old save game file and the old raws into the new install directory and overwrite?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
One Weird Trick to Appease Armok and fix Your FPS!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Masterwork Weapons are just ridiculous. My legendary weaponsmith just shits out masterwork iron battleaxes, and as soon as the caravan comes it's basically "80000 value? Yeah take two of my weapons bins, I take everything, now piss off."

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

One Weird Trick to Appease Armok and fix Your FPS!

What do all the symbols (C, H, S) on the left vertical mean? Cavern, HFS, "S"...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

reading posted:

What do all the symbols (C, H, S) on the left vertical mean? Cavern, HFS, "S"...?

Combat/Hunting/Sparring. They're the combat report notifications.