Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mailer posted:

Well there's a bunch of boss fights, and boss fights are cool. In terms of loot, there's some rare stuff that's better than BBI stuff or gives a unique look (for pawns) that you might want to savescum for. The ur-dragon gives unique loot as well, and at least the daggers are better than BBI daggers for certain cases. Nothing really stands out, but it's there. It's worth a once-over for the unique boss fights/doublefights before moving on to grind BBI.

I want to say you need to do some of the fights there for trophies/cheevos as well, but my memory is foggy on that.
You finally get revenge on that fuckin' spaghetti tentacle monster from the very first Everfall visit, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Works REALLY well with the Asura armor, if you have it.

I don't have that armor, but I do have the ring you get from BBI, so the discipline does roll in pretty fast from what I can tell.

As for the Everfall, I did stumble onto a boss room that had a regular chimera, a black one, and a wraith that seemed to summon those fire-breathing superWolves. Talk about one-sided, I didn't stand a chance there (though I think I could have done it without those wolves there stunning me all the time). I also found a boss room that had two cockitrices, among other stuff. That room I immediately reloaded out of there, I knew nothing good was going to come of that fight. With this in mind, I don't know if I could fight the Ur-Dragon, even offline, if I can't take on these regular enemies.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't have that armor, but I do have the ring you get from BBI, so the discipline does roll in pretty fast from what I can tell.

As for the Everfall, I did stumble onto a boss room that had a regular chimera, a black one, and a wraith that seemed to summon those fire-breathing superWolves. Talk about one-sided, I didn't stand a chance there (though I think I could have done it without those wolves there stunning me all the time).
I was just about to tell you to stay the gently caress away from the Chamber of Fate.

gently caress that room.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yes, that was a very evil place indeed.

I took a quick dive into BBI, and it looks like you need a lot of RC to uncover most of the stuff you find. It seems like the island is also the fastest place I've seen to give out RC, but it's still not _that_ fast compared to the cost of some of these items. So I guess you need to do a lot of grinding here to get the RC needed?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The deeper you go, the more you get, but ultimately the best way to get rc is to have someone take your pawn and kill a bunch of high level poo poo since any xp a borrowed pawn earns is exchanged for rc.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Huh, is that how that works? I doubt there's that many people playing the game, so the odds of someone taking my pawn and just happening to high-level guys is slim.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

^^are you on 360?

Nihilarian posted:

I was just about to tell you to stay the gently caress away from the Chamber of Fate.

gently caress that room.
Chamber of Fate is a cakewalk if you kill the lich first. The pawns can usually kill the regular chimera before the lich is dead, so everyone can gang up on the gorechimera. The secret to those fuckers is to kill the goat first, since it casts spells and heals itself.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

No, I'm on PS3.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
One thing to remember if you want your pawn to get hired is that appearance matters a lot, more so than stats and equipment... So try to come up with a cool look. Although from what I've heard it's much harder to get hired on the PS3 than 360. But people are definitely still playing the game, one of my pawns received 2 million RC the last time I checked her.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

There are a ton more people on the PS3, which makes me regret buying the 360 version. The official site shows that the PSN UR Dragon is ~50 generations ahead of the 360 one.

The best look for a pawn is to be female and wearing bikini armor. Personally, I look for certain spells and skills, along with not being loving guardian. There's nothing worse than hiring a pawn that never leaves your side and never attacks anything. Gear isn't too important at lower levels, but BBI-level pawns with no rarified gear get sent packing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

What is there to get in the Everfall? I mean besides the wakestones. Nothing I opened in chests seemed particularly good, but I might not know any better. I'm unsure what else there is do there besides that quest.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Everfall_Loot

Grisly Armor is kicking rad.

Mad Dragon posted:

There are a ton more people on the PS3, which makes me regret buying the 360 version. The official site shows that the PSN UR Dragon is ~50 generations ahead of the 360 one.

The best look for a pawn is to be female and wearing bikini armor. Personally, I look for certain spells and skills, along with not being loving guardian. There's nothing worse than hiring a pawn that never leaves your side and never attacks anything. Gear isn't too important at lower levels, but BBI-level pawns with no rarified gear get sent packing.

People keep renting my Pawn and I guess are going after Death with her because even though she's wearing all gold forged Hellfire Armor and a gold forged Devil's Bane and is level 158, she keeps coming back dead.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 19, 2014

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

People keep renting my Pawn and I guess are going after Death with her because even though she's wearing all gold forged Hellfire Armor and a gold forged Devil's Bane and is level 158, she keeps coming back dead.

:ninja: I have been a very cruel master for my LP and I think only 1 pawn I've rented has been returned alive.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Huh, is that how that works? I doubt there's that many people playing the game, so the odds of someone taking my pawn and just happening to high-level guys is slim.

When I was still playing and doing infinite BBI boss runs I'd keep checking this thread for active new players specifically for that reason. Unfortunately the thread was mostly dead then and only resurrected recently due to (I assume) some sort of sale/PS+ thing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, now I'm sure I've seen the ending. Yeah, I don't know. I was expecting a lot more. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty cool and all. But I heard that the ending was some mind-boggling, head-flipping event that turned the entire game upside down.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

OK, now I'm sure I've seen the ending. Yeah, I don't know. I was expecting a lot more. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty cool and all. But I heard that the ending was some mind-boggling, head-flipping event that turned the entire game upside down.

Plot-wise, it does do this and the whole thing is a shocking reveal. If you could actually remember the boring, wandering plot and get past the dead-eyed characters with voices to match it would have totally blown your mind.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe that's it. I did pick up the game after months of not playing it, so maybe the plot was lost on me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The plot in this game doesn't really matter until the last string of Gran Soren quests, at which point it just socks you in the face out of nowhere like SURPRISE MOTHERRFUCKER, which kinda sucks.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been fighting the offline Ur-Dragon and have it down to one 1/2 bar of health left. From what I've read elsewhere, using a Maker's Finger on the dragon destroys one heart or, basically, removes a 1/2 bar of health. But what does that mean exactly? Do I just shoot the arrow at the Ur-Dragon and a heart is destroyed, or do I have to properly aim it at a heart to get it to do anything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You've gotta hit the heart you're aiming for with it.

So, uh, don't miss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well... I missed. I didn't realize the game would save right after you use it, so you can't reload and try again. It didn't really matter since I beat it shortly after anyway. The wing hearts were a lot less annoying than I thought they would be, the pawns were pretty helpful in hitting them to which was surprising.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did the rumors of using Makers' Finger of Online Ur Dragon gives it more health in a next generation ever get proven? Same with it if you die in the fight and don't revive it gets back your full health bar amount in damage to itself? I seem to remember back at release people were getting butt hurt over that kind of stuff blaming the fact that they can't just swoop in and take the grace period kill on "hacked" characters that just die over and over.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh no, you can't leave the room you fight Daimon in until you beat it? This is pretty bad for me, how would I know saving in there would be such a bad idea?

EDIT: Wait, yeah you can. Even though the wiki says you can't. Guess I should have actually tried leaving myself first!

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 26, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I don't think you can once you actually initiate the fight. Don't think even Liftstones work at that point.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, that makes sense. But I would figure that would common among all the boss fights, I wonder why the wiki makes a big deal about it with Daimon.

So today online Ur-Dragon was in its grace period and I tried to kill him. The first time I tried I was way under prepared and didn't do anything to him before he flew away. I got one more try in before the period was over, and this time I had 32 conqueror/demon peripats and level 200/87 pawns my friends had (I'm only 71). The dragon only had two hearts and a sliver of health (my understanding is that during the grace period the dragon always has the sliver of health divided among a random number of hearts), and even with all that stuff I could barely take one heart out before he left. He must have a ton of health, or I am way under-leveled, or both.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Yeah, that makes sense. But I would figure that would common among all the boss fights, I wonder why the wiki makes a big deal about it with Daimon.

So today online Ur-Dragon was in its grace period and I tried to kill him. The first time I tried I was way under prepared and didn't do anything to him before he flew away. I got one more try in before the period was over, and this time I had 32 conqueror/demon peripats and level 200/87 pawns my friends had (I'm only 71). The dragon only had two hearts and a sliver of health (my understanding is that during the grace period the dragon always has the sliver of health divided among a random number of hearts), and even with all that stuff I could barely take one heart out before he left. He must have a ton of health, or I am way under-leveled, or both.

Definitely both. I tried at ~lvl 130 about two months ago on the Xbox, could do squat although admittedly my build is pretty balanced and not min maxed. From the boards I read it was pretty much be as high level as possible and you pretty much have to min max physical attack if you go assassin or magic attack if you go sorc. I don't think you can do mystic knight cannon spam anymore

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The mystic knight "Sopor" skill is amazing :shepface:

With the ring version it practically "sleeps" all necrophagous beasts instantly, they can't get up ever, and then they take triple damage or something because I just saw my pawn kill one in TWO hits with a basic lightning spell.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
So I just figured out a way to break the game as a fighter with evenly spread stats. Wear a dragonforged set of duke's clothing. equip the steel will skill and the augment sanctuary. It's hilarious. With steel will up I can literally facetank hard mode cursed dragon bites and my health meter barely moves, and then gets instantly healed by whatever mage pawn I have present. The dukes clothes halve all physical damage, steel will halves it again and sanctuary increases phys/mag defenses by 50% when your health is critical, which benefits from the higher defensive stats that I have compared to a more offensively focused character. And with the dragonforged dukes clothes, it's trivial to get 100% dark resistance, which according to the wiki makes you completely immune to maelstorm, though I haven't run into any on this run yet.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I can't remember too much about this game(but my memory is all sorts of hosed up from other things anyways), but I do know that I have a character that just got to the everfall or whatever the name is(the huge pit after you finish the campaign) that I'm pretty sure hasn't started the NG+ because then the pit wouldn't be opened in the city right?

Anyways, my main question is did they touch up the original game as well with Dark Arisen or is strictly new stuff? Because while a lot of new stuff is good, there was a lot of poo poo I didn't get or bother trying to get after finishing the story because it was just very clunky and weird and it was almost like it was trying to be a diablo kind of loot thing but a serious dungeon crawler at the same time and it just confused the poo poo out of me so I stopped playing after I was expected to suicide jump into a pit to murder jaggedly animated weird undead monsters for slightly better versions of the same poo poo.

Now don't get me wrong, I love playing diablo and grinding for basically no reason but is dark arisen worth the 40 bucks?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They touched up the original game as well. Mostly by letting you get a Portcrystal for free when you go into the Everfall for the first time. Also if you have a save from the original game on your harddrive you get and Eternal Ferrystone so you can fast travel for free. It also puts a free fast travel point right outside of Cassardis as well.

All of that plus the Island and everything on that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Now don't get me wrong, I love playing diablo and grinding for basically no reason but is dark arisen worth the 40 bucks?

It's $20 on Amazon, currently (PS3).

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Dogma-Dark-Arisen-Playstation-3/dp/B00B59MXGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407399053&sr=8-1&keywords=dark+arisen

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I did OK as a Mystic Knight in the base game, but I'm struggling with Bitterblack Isle. Do you guys have a "One True Build" for MK that got you through most of the content well enough, or do I just need to be switching out augments and abilities for each major encounter?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm on X360, and also in canada, so double hosed on that one.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm on X360, and also in canada, so double hosed on that one.

Well you're in luck!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I got this for free from PS+ and it took a couple of aborted starts to get into it. Just finished up NG++ last night. The only things I haven't done are killed Death and beat the 2nd iteration of Daimon (seriously, gently caress the Lost City 2nd time around with all those goddamn Eliminators and 3 living armor at the door - the 2 dragons were piss easy).

If anyone on PS3 wants to use my pawn, my PSN is MosquitoJones. I think I'm level 150 or thereabouts. She's currently specced as a Sorcerer and is pretty good about not getting killed, though occasionally she will think it's a good idea to jump on dragons and punch them in the face instead of casting :catstare:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I decided to pick up the digital copy of DD: Dark Arisen today and I've been having a lot of trouble with doing so. It was actually difficult to download it; since my original disc copy had become "DD: Dark Arisen" according to xbox, I couldn't download it from the marketplace through the console. It wanted me to play the game rather than buy it. So I ended up buying it on the xbox site instead and downloading it that way. I pushed my character through the rest of whatever NG iteration he was on while I waited for the download to complete. But when the download completed, I got an error about my disc being unreadable when I tried to play it. I note now that I have two games labeled "DD: Dark Arisen", with the same achievement points and everything, but obviously different games. I've gone and deleted both games from my hard-drive and I'm redownloading the digital copy.

Hopefully, when I can get the new game to actually work, I'll be able to transfer my save properly. I noticed in the Storage Menu when I went to delete my game that the save also had the DD: Dark Arisen moniker, and also that this was the only place where the base game was properly labeled as "Dragon's Dogma".

What the gently caress, Capcom.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 9, 2014

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Is anybody still playing on the XBOX? I could take some low level pawns along...

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

You're right about him having a ton of health. Whenever it enters grace, it can still spawn with plenty of health. Even in the grace period, you should be maxed out or near it in addition to exploiting the hell out of your strengths and its weaknesses. Some classes are simply unable to do much to it, no matter what.

ChaoticGood posted:

Is anybody still playing on the XBOX? I could take some low level pawns along...

I have a ~150 Mage I've put a lot of effort into if you'd like to take a dedicated support mage along. Haven't played in a while though, but I'll eventually return the favor! XBL: pacouranga

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
So I've finally gotten around to completing Dragon's Dogma and most of the expansion and I've liked it enough that I've decided to do a walkthrough/FAQ on an aspect of the game that I think is a bit confusing and which might help people out. I realize I'm a bit late to the Dragon's Dogma party, having only played the game after it becoming a Playstation Plus freebie title, but this thread seems to be going strong still, and if the OP happens to find the Walkthrough/FAQ useful, adding it to the OP would be OK with me. I don't wish to derail this thread, so any suggestions, concerns and comments on the Walkthrough/FAQ can be taken to PMs, required someone buys me that forums upgrade.

DRAGON'S DOGMA

HOW NOT TO BE A PAEDOPHILE

WALKTHROUGH AND FAQ

INTRO

Dragon's Dogma is a fun game where you get to kill a lot of cool monsters and then sometime during the end-game you may be shoehorned into a romantic relationship with a child. If fighting against cool monsters sounds like fun, but you would rather not be shoehorned into a romantic relationship with, say, a child who by game lore is supposed to be 14 years old because that is the age of consent in Japan or whatever, but actually looks and act like 10-12, as if 14 wasn't hosed up enough, then this walk-through is for you.

WHAT?

Dragon's Dogma has an objectively dull romance system which picks a romantic interest for your character sometime during the end-game. This pick is based solely on whichever NPC has the highest affinity for you, with basically every single non-hostile NPC in the entire gameworld being eligible, including children. Affinity is raised by either giving someone a gift or by completing quests, neither of these actions are inherently romantic in nature and you might just be surprised that a side-quest where you help a powerful merchant babysit his child for a few hours, playing a game of hide and seek and catch, is considered as the player showing romantic interest in a child. Rightfully ignoring the romance system entirely, a romantic interest will still be chosen, and a relatively small pool of central quest givers and NPCs with multiple side-quests related to them, will most likely be chosen as the unavoidable romantic interest, at least two of these characters, being children.

HOW TO AVOID YOUR UNAVOIDABLE ROMANTIC INTEREST BEING ONE OF THE CHILD-CHARACTERS

Do not give any kind of gift to a child-character, ever. Make any one non-child NPC in the game like you to the point where they start blushing when you see them, most easily done by completing a bunch of Core and Side-quests for a central character. The items which are suitable for gifting will also state in their item description who favours them, so simply give these to appropriate non-child characters: Congratulations you will now probably not be shoe-horned into having a child as your romantic interest.

Q: The possibility of the romance system selecting a child to be the romantic interest of the player character is an unintended oversight of the romance system.

A: No. At least two children which are able to become the PCs romantic interest have unique lines that only appears in this situation.

Q: In some countries the age of legal consent is lower than 21, 18, 16, 14, or whatever, and is even completely absent in some cultures.

A: hosed up if true.

Q: Caring about the possibility of romancing a bunch of pixels sounds pretty SJW tumbleresque, doesn't it?

A: Idiot bitch retard human being friend of the family.

Q: If I would rather not have my PC waking up in his bed with a child hovering above him, are there any particular NPC who I should raise the affinity of instead of the child NPCs?

A: Here is a handy list of reasonable non-children to befriend.

Blondeknight: Pros: Pretty and clearly of age, his preferred gift is pies which are cheap and plentiful.

Ladyknight: Pros: Pretty and clearly of age. She has lot of core and side quests available so she will probably end up liking you even if you ignore her completely outside of quests. The same goes for nearly every single female NPC in the entire game-world who takes directly part in any single quest.

Madeline: Pros: Uh-huh-huh-huh. Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh. Is not a child. Is a merchant. Cons: Everything else.

Every single merchant: Pro: Merchants are the only characters that it is really worthwhile to raise the affinity of. Raising the affinity of whichever one sells the best gear for your class is especially nice. CONS: Some of the merchants are married couples and you may feel like a jerk by breaking them up.

Banditmaleguy: Pros: Sort of maybe helpful in a side-quest or two and is easily impressed by skulls, which are plentiful and cheap trash items that he loves. Is most definitely not a child. Cons: Located a bit out of the way.

Banditfemale: Same as above, but is a bother to deal with if your PC is male and especially if he has a beard, as you'll have to wear a disguise (a pretty dress) and/or lose your beard temporarily and may become involved in a questline that is more problematic than the ending to the original Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Just about every single throwaway character in the entire game-world: Pros: Any random, throwaway male NPC is easily impressed by being gifted fish and meats, as a man's heart is best reached through his stomach, and any female NPC is easily wooed by gifting her flowers, as bitches loves flowers. Cons: You'll probably never be able to find these characters more than once as they are completely forgettable, but you wont have any good reason to want to either.

Q: Selene is not a child, but some kind of magical creature, probably, but she is old for sure, and extremely sexy with her after 2000 years of life on this gay earth still-developing breasts, pig tails haircut and completely demure, submissive personality.

A: If it walks like a child, talks like a child and looks like a child, please try not to gently caress it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Basically the only way to wind up with Symone is to skip a ton of sidequests involving all of the major characters and in that case you deserve it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool guide, simply epic. Upvoted, signal boost so others can see :thumbsup:

• Locked thread