Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've got some questions about being invaded, because I'm serious loving tired of it. I'm trying to get through O&S in Anor Londo, and have had the greatest success when I can bring a phantom with me. That means being "human" for the trip from the bonfire, to the summoning sigil, to O&S's area. Ordinarily I'd just stay hollow and all of these min-maxing invaders could suck a dick, but since I can't summon help in that state, that's not really a solution.

This evening, I was pretty consistently invaded on the way between the bonfire and Solaire's summoning sigil. I thought there was a 10 minute "cool down" or something between being invaded so that you didn't have to contend with retarded poo poo like this--however, I am positive that's not happening because I was killed by an invader, respawned, bee-lined to recover my poo poo, and was invaded again (by somebody else) within 4 or 5 minutes of previously dying.

So now I'm just alt+F4'ing the moment somebody pops up, because I'm not going to burn through humanity while every idiot stakes out O&S's gate and turns the place into some sort of Normandy beach. Is this normal? I can't even progress in the loving game because I keep getting waylaid by other players. I assume alt+F4'ing out of an invasion doesn't count as being successfully invaded (and therefore doesn't reset any "timer" that may exist), right? How can I have my cake (being able to summon NPC help) and eat it too (not having to deal with constant invasions)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

The Balder Knights being able to parry you backstabbing them is weird as hell. You both hold perfectly still, then the player slides in front of them, performs a normal attack seconds later, then they parry you. And in two hours I got summoned once. I could just go back in a few hours for lightning spear but I was trying to grind these lovely Balder guys anyway. I regret that decision.

e: Now that I'm out of the Parish and I've forgotten what the hell is in Darkroot, I'm back to getting really tense and feeling like I'm about to get jumped, even though there is surely no one still bothering to invade. I got my lightning spears too. I'll never get Great Lightning Spear but they do some heavy damage, and it looks like GLS is only marginally stronger anyway. Also I managed to fall to my doom after killing the Moonlight Butterfly. :v:
Outside of the Solaire summons and the free sunlight medals, you could also farm sunlight maggots. It's not fun, but you can get your miracle, the same as you would with DMB.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How can I have my cake (being able to summon NPC help) and eat it too (not having to deal with constant invasions)?
You can play offline and summon Solaire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

Outside of the Solaire summons and the free sunlight medals, you could also farm sunlight maggots. It's not fun, but you can get your miracle, the same as you would with DMB.

Oh cool, I didn't know they were drops off those things. I'm hoping that areas like Gaping Dragon might still have a few biters, though. I actually had a couple at the butterfly. I'm still going to drop offline if I want to grab the loot from the forest invader area though.

e: Or just go in hollow I guess.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nahxela posted:

You can play offline and summon Solaire.

Yeah that's what I figured. I guess I have to play around with some firewall settings in order to keep GFWL happy (it'll kick me off if it isn't able to connect to the internet) but temporarily block Dark Souls from talking to the outside world. It sucks that I have to do it this way, but these invaders are currently really spoiling what is otherwise a great game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can farm every covenant item in the game, you never need to play online to max everything out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah that's what I figured. I guess I have to play around with some firewall settings in order to keep GFWL happy (it'll kick me off if it isn't able to connect to the internet) but temporarily block Dark Souls from talking to the outside world. It sucks that I have to do it this way, but these invaders are currently really spoiling what is otherwise a great game.

If you stay alt-tabbed for a bit, it goes offline automatically, because of dropped frames. At least it does for me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The timer is something like 5 minutes (at least that's what I originally heard) so as long as there's some clown mashing their red eye orb you will get invaded every 5 minutes without fail, especially because you're probably the only human player going through there right now among the people you're matched to. I had the same experience there in NG+, and it was obnoxious as gently caress no matter how many of them I killed.

The way the online mechanics work, there's going to be fewer and fewer people to summon as time goes on and all that's left will be the invaders because it will be the only reliable way to get any online action.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

If you feel that strongly about it, why do you even play online?

I have to so I can get a summons for the boss. I don't do it during levels. I should have twigged that I got invaded whilst hollowed but I didn't really have time to think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's always fun going into the catacombs but a bit less fun going out. I got a bonewheel shield though! Also Lightning Spear is stupidly strong even at 20 faith and with only the thorolund talisman. Speaking of which I already offed Petrus, that won't affect Rhea selling me miracles later right?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It's always fun going into the catacombs but a bit less fun going out. I got a bonewheel shield though! Also Lightning Spear is stupidly strong even at 20 faith and with only the thorolund talisman. Speaking of which I already offed Petrus, that won't affect Rhea selling me miracles later right?

If you kill him before they go down, they attack you on sight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lightning doesn't scale with any stat in DS1, I was told.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Flytrap posted:

If you kill him before they go down, they attack you on sight.

even after getting absolution?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

double nine posted:

Don't know, haven't read anything that says absolution wouldn't fix it though.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

double nine posted:

Pretty sure yeah, that doesn't fix it either. I know if you kill Nico or Vince while they're in Firelink (I wanted to see what would happen) the rest stay mad at you no matter what.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oops. Well they hadn't shown up yet so maybe it'll be cool. I was gunning for Wrath of God. Oh well! I'll make do with lightning spear, heal, sunlight blade, and emit force if they're grumpy.

e: I have enough in soul items now for absolution so no big deal.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

pisshead posted:

I have to so I can get a summons for the boss. I don't do it during levels. I should have twigged that I got invaded whilst hollowed but I didn't really have time to think.

Alright, protip time. Be disconnected while you play the level, exit the game at the boss door, turn connection back on, start game up and you will be just where you left off and you can summon people to your hearts content probably without needing to alt-F4 when invaded.

If you still get invaded, I dunno, alt-F4 as soon as they come within distance so they can get the kill on their end before their client notices that you've disconnected.

Tae posted:

It doesn't, just look at the stat screen of any weapon made lightning. Things like Ornstein's spear might be exceptions to this rule

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually should I request absolution before or after Rhea even shows up?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Lightning weapons don't. Lightning Spear scales off of faith. The Dragonslayer's Spear deals lightning damage that does scale off of faith but it is the only weapon in the game that does this.

edit: the internet is telling me that Lightning Spear's damage is just based on your talisman rather than having any faith adjustment

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Lightning weapons don't. Lightning Spear scales off of faith. The Dragonslayer's Spear deals lightning damage that does scale off of faith but it is the only weapon in the game that does this.

edit: the internet is telling me that Lightning Spear's damage is just based on your talisman rather than having any faith adjustment

It works the same way as in Dark Souls II. Miracles scale with the Faith scaling of the casting implement you use. The MagAdjust is a value calculated from the Faith/Int scaling. Some have fixed MagAdjust.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Lightning Spear obliterates the Capra Demon. Two shots took 90% of it's health off. I killed it with a plunging attack with my titanite catch pole. Amazing how much of a problem that guy was a couple years ago compared to now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, Lightning Spear obliterates the Capra Demon. Two shots took 90% of it's health off. I killed it with a plunging attack with my titanite catch pole. Amazing how much of a problem that guy was a couple years ago compared to now.

Sounds like you're way overleveled for Capra. Most people take him on after the Bell Gargoyles.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Except for those of us who like to take him out before Tauros to be a balla'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

Sounds like you're way overleveled for Capra. Most people take him on after the Bell Gargoyles.

I did take a shortcut to Moonlight Butterfly first, maybe that's why then. I found my first invader too! I got summoned as a phantom in the Depths and immediately killed by a lightning avelyn. :allears:

Now I'm at the doors to Blighttown. I don't remember if I ever went through the top of it myself on either of my previous runs or if every time I went "gently caress it" and went in the master key route at the bottom.

e: What's the difference between the scimitar and falchion besides like five points of damage? I'm looking at them on the wiki and can't tell. Is it that the falchion has better scaling? I'm thinking of going with a falchion as a main weapon, a straight sword if I can get a good one, the darkmoon bow, and because I'm having fun with it the titanite catch pole.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're not really supposed to go to Darkroot before taking on the Capra or the Gargoyles, that's why the titanite demon is sitting there. There's a lot of instances like that in the early game where it tries to tell you to go another way by having a tough monster sitting in the way.

Also gently caress you for getting the catch pole drop so early. :mad: Took me forever to get that thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're not really supposed to go to Darkroot before taking on the Capra or the Gargoyles, that's why the titanite demon is sitting there. There's a lot of instances like that in the early game where it tries to tell you to go another way by having a tough monster sitting in the way.

Also gently caress you for getting the catch pole drop so early. :mad: Took me forever to get that thing.

Seeing as how there's a wide open exit after the demon, and how weak the enemies in the forest are, that's not what it's telling you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly I couldn't remember what the 'right' order was and I was at Andre anyway. The demon didn't really do much of anything to me this game! Outside of Havel, the weirdness with those Balder knights, and that lovely dragon (which was my own fault for going up there so much) it's been smooth sailing actually. I bet the Hydra will gently caress me up real good though, I left that thing alone for the time being.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Seeing as how there's a wide open exit after the demon, and how weak the enemies in the forest are, that's not what it's telling you.

The big door is saying there's stuff to explore, the big demon is saying come back later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The big door is saying there's stuff to explore, the big demon is saying come back later.

No, the big demon is saying "you don't have to kill everything." There's a reason it's not an enemy that chases you particularly well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing chases you well into a new area because they can't leave the one they're in. There's a bunch of instances like that where the game is saying you can go this way, but you shouldn't yet. Which is nice. The only real gates to progress are Sen's Fortress and the lordvessel.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly I couldn't remember what the 'right' order was and I was at Andre anyway. The demon didn't really do much of anything to me this game! Outside of Havel, the weirdness with those Balder knights, and that lovely dragon (which was my own fault for going up there so much) it's been smooth sailing actually. I bet the Hydra will gently caress me up real good though, I left that thing alone for the time being.

The hydra is really weak to lightning spear, but you need to be careful about when you cast it because of range issues. Throwing a spear just when it's about to lunge at you is perfect.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

titanite demons are pretty easy due to the safe spot on their sides. Provided you have room to maneuver they're pretty much a fight of attrition rather than a DPS race

pun pundit posted:

The hydra is really weak to lightning spear, but you need to be careful about when you cast it because of range issues. Throwing a spear just when it's about to lunge at you is perfect.

i wonder: the ring that extends bow range, does it also affect spells and/or miracles?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hyrdas are gimmick enemies. Just get near them and block, hunt down the heads, repeat.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

After killing the heads that strike where you stand, I find it much better to use ranged weapons to finish the fight. Running around after heads is just stressful, man.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

pun pundit posted:

After killing the heads that strike where you stand, I find it much better to use ranged weapons to finish the fight. Running around after heads is just stressful, man.

Especially that one head that will always land juuuust inside the hole.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That head is the biggest dick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't actually have to cut off the heads to kill the hydra. If you have a bow you can just find one of the spots where none of the heads will hit you and spam arrows until it dies. I tend to kill the heads within immediate reach and then snipe it the rest of the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Upper Blighttown's framerate is somehow worse than lower Blighttown. And these ladders with enemies below them you can't hurt and they can instantly grab you off the ladder and combo kill you suck. One of the fat ones clipped through the level, hit me in the face, clipped me through the level, and off the cliff too.

Also it turns out requesting absolution does absolutely nothing to Rhea, Vance, and Nico. Kill Petrus and they are pissed no matter what. I have enough humanity to save Solaire now though!

:smith:

e: By the way Pinwheel didn't drop a mask for me when he died. What's up with that?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 19, 2014

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Okay, I bought DS during the summer sale, and it turns out GFWL doesn't work too well with windows 8, despite me fiddling with compatability settings. Is there a guide in the thread for setting this up? Has there been a mod for saving offline, in between all of the HD texture packs?

EDIT: Is there info on loving around with GFWL in general? Now it's insisting that I'm not connected to the internet even though I just logged in (it can't detect an IP address or System Link Address).

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 19, 2014

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's nothing to do with Windows 8, GFWL is just poo poo. Keep fiddling, you'll get it working eventually and the online features really are worth it (most of the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God I hate the Stray Demon so much. An attack that hits the entire arena even though the hitbox is like a fifth of it? Yes please!

• Locked thread