Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Have any of you guys seen Nekromentia? I thought it was excellent! Kinda low budget but had a really cool vibe and a pretty interesting plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acht posted:

I never heard about any of those. :eng99:
Which one should I watch at once?

Watched Evidence. Loved the first half, second half sort of lost me. Really surprised how well they shot it though. Seemed like a great example of found-footage done well.

The second half is the best part though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally The Worst posted:

The second half is the best part though.

Again, you both have to clarify which found footage horror movie called Evidence you're talking about.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Hey SMG what'd you think of Alien Abduction?

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stargate posted:

No one's mentioned The Borderlands yet. I thought that was a great little found-footage flick, though to be fair I've not seen nearly as many as you guys apparently have.
I found it to be on the same sort of plateau as the one about the haunted tree. Hollow?

Both also use the thing when a character looks into a creepy looking dark place, and they sort of freeze, or pause. Face off camera.

It's really effective, there's a word for the mind conjuring horrifying pictures out of inferences. The end of TB looked like a live action version of a Terry Gilliam dream after TG had had a port and Stilton night.

Also The Den was basically an iOS mashup with a couple of good bits. Still waiting for the next Lovely Molly pretty much.

verdigris murder fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 16, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again, you both have to clarify which found footage horror movie called Evidence you're talking about.

I'm assuming he means 2011 since that was the one getting recommended hard the last page or so.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Speaking of Suicide on the last page or so, it was put out by Troma, so I bought it on a lark when I was 16 at FYE or something and jesus christ that is some bleak poo poo. Found it on youtube by googling troma suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POmpsBHbhgI

Also Evidence (2011) rules so hard, and [REC] 2 was a goddamn hell of a lot of fun.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Just finished Mr. Jones and can someone explain the third act to me? I doubt its going to change my overall opinion of the film, but I sat through what felt like an hour of stupid camera effects and close-ups so I may as well try to understand it or whatever.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Coffee And Pie posted:

Don't forget:

(Tomb Raider)

Don't forget.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

saulwright posted:

Just finished Mr. Jones and can someone explain the third act to me? I doubt its going to change my overall opinion of the film, but I sat through what felt like an hour of stupid camera effects and close-ups so I may as well try to understand it or whatever.

He took Mr. Jones' place, basically. I think it works like Green Lantern where that guy is the new Mr. Jones for that sector of the planet, now. Not too great of a payoff for having to suffer through so much Insidious bullshit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Hey SMG what'd you think of Alien Abduction?

This latest one? It's quite well-made - tense, stylish and spooky - but it doesn't do much with the found footage conceit or with the concept of aliens. It could easily be a normal (i.e. not found-footage) movie about werewolves or something, and little or nothing would change.

If you accept that, though, it's still a very good non-FF werewolf movie - and I believe that's the point.

See, for those who don't know, the basic premise is that the cameraman is a preteen kid with autism. His attachment to the camera leads him to shoot and edit the events like a goddamn pro - but one who is detached enough to present the real poo poo happening as, more-or-less, a conventional horror film. It takes the standard theme of 'filming something makes it less real', and takes it to a logical extreme where the kid has to make things less real, or he'll have a panic attack.

As a result, the other characters are all semi-conscious of the fact that they're 'in a film', and struggle to 'stay in character' (as parents, siblings, etc.) to keep the poor kid calm. They also literally protect and guide this cameraman, and thereby ensure that the narrative progresses towards a conclusion. It's some nifty metafictional trickery, but without any laborious fourth-wall-breaking.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Holy Lord, The Den was good. Thank you Hindu.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Well, time to watch Candyman 2 :stare:.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Can't wait for The Babadook. Looks like it's gonna be really creepy, although I feel like I can see the ending coming from a mile away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxOrUjX-bc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

Well, time to watch Candyman 2 :stare:.

why are you doing this

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why are you doing this

L-love for Tony Todd? Yeah...I got nothing. It was bad.

Fake edit: How are the Hatchet movies? I'm looking for any and all worthwhile, recent slashers.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Others might disagree, but I think the first Hatchet is pretty good, actually. It's got a good mix of comedy, innovative kills, and all practical effects. It's also got a lot of "Oh, it's that guy!" in there, because it's got like Bud from the Cosby Show, someone from Buffy, one of Bill Murray's brothers, and so on. I think it's pretty good.

The second one is not as good, but the cast is more made up of horror movie folk rather than amusing randos like the first one. Danielle Harris, Tony Todd, other people, I forget. The story just kind of forgets to be as fun and amusing as the first one, I think.

The third one is better than the second one, but not as good as the first one.

They're worth a watch if you're interested in slashers and practical effects, though. If you want to see someone killed in a way you've never seen a person killed on screen before, they're good for that too.

Kamaitachi
Feb 20, 2004
Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Weird question: is there a GOOD horror movie about a lake monster?

Razortooth is an awesome and underrated little creature feature, fun, fast-paced, and gory as all get-out. The monster eel in this film is interesting because while its CG, it also incorporates the creepy jankiness of old school Stop Motion.

Kamaitachi fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 17, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kamaitachi posted:

Razortooth is an awesome and underrated little creature feature, fun, fast-paced, and gory as all get-out. The monster eel in this film is interesting because while its CG, it also incorporates the creepy jankiness of old school Stop Motion.

I love me some stop motion. I'll check this out.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Has anyone here seen the Night of the Demons remake? Is the movie good? I really like the 80's version so I was curious about the new one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hatchet is a gross movie made by gross people. John Carl Buechler and Kane Hodder on the F13 part 7 commentary are two rear end in a top hat kids talking about how much all the sluts deserve it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Hatchet is a gross movie made by gross people. John Carl Buechler and Kane Hodder on the F13 part 7 commentary are two rear end in a top hat kids talking about how much all the sluts deserve it.

Kane Hodder was perfectly cast as BTK.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

John Yossarian posted:

Has anyone here seen the Night of the Demons remake? Is the movie good? I really like the 80's version so I was curious about the new one.

I disliked it. And I like Ed Furlong...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oliver Reed posted:

I disliked it. And I like Ed Furlong...

He's good and whiny in Brainscan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"I don't think erections rape people, people rape people"

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Tomorrow me and a friend of mine are going to watch Motel Hell, Sleepaway Camp, and Night of the Demons, back-to-back-to-back. I'm as pumped as a nymphomaniac's dick.

P-Zombie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 18, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

He's also the best part of The Last Light.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

John Yossarian posted:

There's a line of reasoning in the movie where they're trying to defeat the demons, so they go "Welp, iron is old and demons are old. So rust destroys iron....so let's stab a demon with something rusty!". It's the worst kind of hot garbage.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I've noticed a lot of posts on this thread asking about good found-footage films but I haven't seen a lot of recommendations for The Tunnel (2011).

It's in the vein of Lake Mungo (another Australian horror film which I love) in that it's presented as a mockumentery. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the FF genre.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I watched At the Devil's Door last night and...what a boring piece of poo poo. There were some nice shots and I dug the creature design but overall I felt like it was more of a waste of time than not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MantisToboggan posted:

I've noticed a lot of posts on this thread asking about good found-footage films but I haven't seen a lot of recommendations for The Tunnel (2011).

It's in the vein of Lake Mungo (another Australian horror film which I love) in that it's presented as a mockumentery. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the FF genre.

I like The Tunnel, I remember around there was a lot of chatter around Yellowbrickroad instead of it. Also, I seem to recall that it was officially released for free on Vimeo or something? I haven't seen it since then, so maybe I should take another look.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Horns posted:

He's also the best part of The Last Light.

You can look at him in 2014 and not have your nuts shrink up into your body from cringing? I guess I'll check that out.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
For those who might not be aware, You're Next is now on Netflix Instant.

I have to say that it was a fun watch! It certainly was not what I expected. The shift from standard home-invasion horror film to an almost Die Hard-esque survival movie caught me off guard, but the film never seemed to take itself too seriously, so the finished product worked for me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I like The Tunnel, I remember around there was a lot of chatter around Yellowbrickroad instead of it. Also, I seem to recall that it was officially released for free on Vimeo or something? I haven't seen it since then, so maybe I should take another look.

It's totally free, you can download an HD copy from their site.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally The Worst posted:

It's totally free, you can download an HD copy from their site.

I will do.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I have to say that it was a fun watch! It certainly was not what I expected. The shift from standard home-invasion horror film to an almost Die Hard-esque survival movie caught me off guard, but the film never seemed to take itself too seriously, so the finished product worked for me.

It's basically an R-rated Home Alone, complete with a nail in the foot/foot injury coming through the window scene.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I finally watched "The Faculty" and quite enjoyed it, even if the CGI effects are kind of dated and obvious now. The movie is just fun, basically a homage to "The Thing" mixed with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", complete with nods to the "you gotta be loving kidding" and blood testing scenes from "The Thing".

It was fun to see young Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett, and the Terminator 2 guy as Coach.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I liked how the guys in animal masks were set up as these scary slashers and then it turns out that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing and the real slasher is the girl.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's basically an R-rated Home Alone, complete with a nail in the foot/foot injury coming through the window scene.

That seems pretty accurate.

Alhazred posted:

I liked how the guys in animal masks were set up as these scary slashers and then it turns out that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing and the real slasher is the girl.

My thoughts exactly, especially considering that she was what, one kill shy of equaling the combined kill count of everyone else in the entire film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Some friends and I watched this and was surprised how much I liked it. Home-invasion isn't a concept I'm very interested in, but this movie's twist? Character quirk? Whatever she killed dem dudes made it fun. It even had some laughs, I liked those laughs.

We also watched Victim which was kinda weird, but somehow exactly like something I was going to ask a bunch of pages ago (when someone asked about identity movies I believe).
Besides The Skin I Live In and probably Tusk, are there any other movies where someone's identity is in jeopardy?