Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Assange's press conference has been a whole lot of nothing, except for the stage-whispered Spanish.

Oh okay, he's leaving "soon".

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mad Katter posted:

:siren: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE:siren:

Kyle Sandilands will be ‘dead by the end of the year’, Dr Edward Jackowski claims in New Idea
Don't click, news.com

Disappointed this article had nothing to do with Swans up coming revolution.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Oh my god :lol:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Captain Pissweak posted:

esports

e: im a professional esports doper

I used to play a lot of BF3 with goons. Our ace pilot would take a shitload of xanax and drink half a bottle of whisky over the course of a few games then enter a 25 minute zen state in which we could not be touched and flew like God's own angels (then the helo would go inverted and you knew he'd passed out and it was time to bail).

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Greg Hunt,"We are doing this for the poor people in India who are getting electricity for the first time"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I used to play a lot of BF3 with goons. Our ace pilot would take a shitload of xanax and drink half a bottle of whisky over the course of a few games then enter a 25 minute zen state in which we could not be touched and flew like God's own angels (then the helo would go inverted and you knew he'd passed out and it was time to bail).

This is the best post.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

read this

http://jmkorhonen.net/2014/04/08/graphic-of-the-week-having-too-much-and-too-little-renewables-at-the-same-time/

quote:

One of the benefits of renewable energy is that it pushes down the price of electricity when the wind blows or the sun shines. Besides lowering energy bills, that kills the profitability of traditional “baseload” power plants – i.e. those burning coal or splitting atoms – and forces them to close, to the rejoicing of all.

Or so we’ve been told. But can there be too much of a good thing?

This is a problem where I would value your input, my dear reader. Please share your thoughts on whether I’ve made any mistake or overly simplified the situation, and what could be done to correct this problem. But first, let me explain.

This is a critically important issue when renewable electricity conflicts with economics.
The equipment that generates and transmits this power still costs money to run and maintain.

What happens when renewable production exceeds demand? well the price of power drops, and the price of fossil fuel generated power goes up, noone buys the latter, and everyone gets the former.
What happens when renewable production exceeds total demand? the price of power bottoms out... and this is a problem.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kommando posted:

read this

http://jmkorhonen.net/2014/04/08/graphic-of-the-week-having-too-much-and-too-little-renewables-at-the-same-time/

This is a critically important issue when renewable electricity conflicts with economics.
The equipment that generates and transmits this power still costs money to run and maintain.

What happens when renewable production exceeds demand? well the price of power drops, and the price of fossil fuel generated power goes up, noone buys the latter, and everyone gets the former.
What happens when renewable production exceeds total demand? the price of power bottoms out... and this is a problem.

gently caress, if only energy didn't dissipate immediately upon generation and we had some way of storing it. oh well

posted from my phone not currently plugged into the mains

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Can... can I hear more?

Post of the month.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gough Suppressant posted:

gently caress, if only energy didn't dissipate immediately upon generation and we had some way of storing it. oh well

Grid-level electrical energy storage is really not anything like a reality yet. It's prohibitively expensive.

The best current bet is thermal storage, at least in Australia.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Surely if renewable production exceeds demand then we've won? Like, we can celebrate at having a power system that doesn't systematically rape the planet, rendering it unlivable?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hey jbp how you going?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

pfft

My friend is a teacher in Newcastle:

quote:

My school was supposed to have Tim Owen to come to a school breakfast. Deputy joked today that after him they asked Andrew Cornwell, then the mayor. There's no one left to come to school to represent state government.

Dropping like flies.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If as the author suggests the idea of excess unutilised production is such a problem, just plug all the excess power from the grid into a bitcoin mining rig.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Orkin Mang posted:

No, he's saying, vote for me sports fans.

Except he doesn't realise that there are 17 teams worth of BigFooty posters who would literally shed tears of blood if the blackest day in sport wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe he's going for the Essendon and Cronulla vote or something.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

posted from my phone not currently plugged into the mains

read the drat article. I'm not summarising the whole thing for you twats to pick holes in my summary.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Seems to me the article is skimming over a lot of stuff in the renewable area (namely that there's more than just wind and photovoltaics out there) and that it's coming from the point of unrestrained free market capitalism and not the obvious nationalise the generators.

If I've missed something major about it tell me, I only briefly skimmed it between writing some reports.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

quote:

Under free market, the renewable energy revolution will for all intents and purposes stop dead on its tracks once peak production regularly begins to catch up with total demand. No amount of foreseeable cost reductions will make solar PVs a competitive energy source when 75% (or more) of their production must be given away for free. Figure 4 below shows one potential scenario, where solar production increases 3.3 times, and wind power 5 times from current levels. In this case, conventional energy sources must cover for 60% of the electricity demand. This is totally incompatible with any scientifically credible electricity decarbonization plans – not to mention the decarbonization of the energy system as a whole. Furthermore, the profitability of conventional plants will be poor or nonexistent, necessitating heavy subsidies, while high share of low marginal cost production will nevertheless drive down electricity prices during peak production hours, necessitating still more subsidies for renewable generators. This is the worst case scenario: punishing subsidies all round, no worthwhile climate progress. Sadly, it is also the most likely one, in my opinion.

Found your problem, mate. Thank me later.

Endman
May 18, 2010

This is like worrying about the economic sustainability of fire extinguishers as an investment while your house burns down.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Aren't the polls and wires still government owned in all states? Tax upkeep no free market

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Endman posted:

Surely if renewable production exceeds demand then we've won? Like, we can celebrate at having a power system that doesn't systematically rape the planet, rendering it unlivable?

The trouble is a) it doesn't exceed demand all the time and b) it still costs money to maintain those systems and transmit the energy.

The article goes into more detail but short of grid-level storage (which is really the magic bullet) you'd essentially need either heavy regulation of the market/some sort of public non-cost provision of power, or some agreement on dumping the surplus energy into an expanded industry like aluminium production (which has its own environmental issues to do so).

It's why the BZE plan uses solar thermal, since thermal storage is considerably cheaper.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Why wouldn't you heavily regulate the market for electricity production? It's too valuable a resource, too critical in how it is produced to leave in the hands of the market.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Endman posted:

Found your problem, mate. Thank me later.

I'm all for this but poo poo's probably not going to happen.

There'd still be problems under a completely democratically owned and distributed energy system, but pricing wouldn't be one of them, it's true.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Endman posted:

Why wouldn't you heavily regulate the market for electricity production? It's too valuable a resource, too critical in how it is produced to leave in the hands of the market.

Hello, perhaps you've heard of these people

They unfortunately manage to hold quite a lot of power in this country

It sucks, but unfortunately we have to treat some issues in the knowledge that we're going to have to deal with markets.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Yeah, yeah, I know. Reality check and all that.

It honestly boggles my mind how people can suggest that the provision of critical infrastructure should be left in the hands of the free market. It's like tossing your newborn baby into a moshpit, assuming that when it comes out the other side it'll have an excellent education, six figure salary and leadership aspirations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Call me a horrible person, but maybe we should just not do anything, let climate change kill a bunch of people and have it spark the necessary change in a manner akin to a malthusian crisis.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Endman posted:

It honestly boggles my mind how people can suggest that the provision of critical infrastructure should be left in the hands of the free market. It's like tossing your newborn baby into a moshpit, assuming that when it comes out the other side it'll have an excellent education, six figure salary and leadership aspirations.

Their babies won't be in that moshpit, hth.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Endman posted:

I doubt they actually think it will result in better outcomes for everyone, they just say it will because "support policy XYZ because it will make me and my mates really rich and gently caress you all over in the process" doesn't go over nearly so well with the voters.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Endman posted:

Call me a horrible person, but maybe we should just not do anything, let climate change kill a bunch of people and have it spark the necessary change in a manner akin to a malthusian crisis.

This is probably what will end up happening anyway, but ethically speaking we should at least try and stop a bunch of people dying from preventable climate change.

Endman
May 18, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

I doubt they actually think it will result in better outcomes for everyone, they just say it will because "support policy XYZ because it will make me and my mates really rich and gently caress you all over in the process" doesn't go over nearly so well with the voters.

These people all went to university, how is it possible to know what you're doing is wrong and then do it anyway like that? How can someone so educated be so monumentally selfish? :negative:

Endman
May 18, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

This is probably what will end up happening anyway, but ethically speaking we should at least try and stop a bunch of people dying from preventable climate change.

Yeah, I know. But poo poo, sometimes I think we deserve everything that happens to us.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

These people all went to university, how is it possible to know what you're doing is wrong and then do it anyway like that? How can someone so educated be so monumentally selfish? :negative:

Are you drinking tonight by any chance?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

The problem with this is the same as all accelerationism: the people affected aren't the ones with agency to make change. It would result in a lot of dead poor and dark skinned people and anyone that actually has the power to change things also has the power to ride it out.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The people who die won't be the ones to deserve it anyway.

Which is why we need French Revolution 2 3: Australian Boogaloo.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The problem with this is the same as all accelerationism: the people affected aren't the ones with agency to make change. It would result in a lot of dead poor and dark skinned people and anyone that actually has the power to change things also has the power to ride it out.

I hate that you're right. I can only dream of a world where all rich white people buy waterfront properties in areas prone to tsunamis.

Beetfauxnen posted:

Are you drinking tonight by any chance?

Nah, I have class tomorrow. But if I could, I would.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

The people who die won't be the ones to deserve it anyway.

Which is why we need French Revolution 2 3: Australian Boogaloo.

The Anglosphere is cursed with stability, contentedness and thus inaction. As Wondermark put it:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Money.

The depressing bit is that it's not stupid huge amounts of money and that our future is being sold out for middling amounts of pocket change.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Endman posted:

I hate that you're right. I can only dream of a world where all rich white people buy waterfront properties in areas prone to tsunamis.

Be a rich white man, do it yourself, make it stylish.

Take one for the team.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So Clive just went on about Chinese mongrel bastard communists taking over the country on live tv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So Clive just went on about Chinese mongrel bastard communists taking over the country on live tv?

That's a boost in the polls.

• Locked thread