Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Purchased my first Mac online, refurb late 2013 15 inch with the 750 nvidia graphics, 16gb and 2.3 GHz i7 processor. I see now on the store they also have a refurb 2.6GHz i7 with otherwise identical specs. Trying to research a bit, I see the 2.6GHz is a newer CPU model and may have better Iris performance. Is the 2.6GHz processor worth the hassle of returning the 2.3GHz for and the additional ~$130 premium? I plan on using it for a variety of tasks, from gaming to some home video editing and will keep it as long as it is still useful.

Seeing this kinda dampened my spirits a bit, but otherwise I'm very excited to get it and play with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 2.6GHz i7 is still a late 2013. Mid-2014 15" rMBPs only came out 2 weeks ago and won't hit the refurb store for a couple more months. By the way, the CPU options for the Mid-2014 model are 2.2, 2.5, and 2.8GHz -- no 2.6GHz option.

Also the only graphics difference between the 2.3GHz (i7-4850HQ) and the 2.6GHz (i7-4960HQ) is a 100Mhz max turbo bump for the more expensive SKU. Since you've already got the discrete NVIDIA graphics to do heavy lifting, I wouldn't worry about a less than 10% graphics turbo clock difference.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I went ahead and ordered the same model today, and decided that it really wasn't worth the extra cost. It's still a slight upgrade from the laptop I'm using now.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Sorry, I saw they were both October 2013 models; by new CPU model I meant the 4960HQ vs the 4850HQ. Good to know it's not going to be a big difference between the two and I'll enjoy it when I get it. Thanks, guys!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Eh, both were relatively new by the time Apple got around to Haswell. The Haswell refresh was in October, the 4960HQ is from September, and the 4850HQ is from August. I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy your new computer! I got my late-2013 15" rMBP refurbished as well and it's been fantastic for about 6 months now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Twitter app also takes up quite a bit of energy. Flash Player too; that's why I actually want EME in Safari, despite the fact I'm opposed to DRM.

Now if only Safari could catch up to Chrome on HTML5/CSS3 compatibility, that'd be great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can I take my rMBP in to Apple to get my keyboard cleaned? Apparently doing it myself voids the warranty, so why don't they just fuckin do it themselves?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the 13" with 8GB and 256. I wish I had gotten the 512. I don't bootcamp, but I do have a 50GB Win7 vm and a 50GB Win8 vm that I use for work. I'm always concerned with HD space. The VMs are thin provisioned, but even a base Win install after some updates is like 30GB.

I'm ok with 8GB. I don't run both VMs at the same time, but I do run a couple small linux VMs (well, it's a RH server running KVM with a few small servers running inside it as a training lab) I never have RAM shortages. Spring for the 512. My plan is next year to sell this and get a Broadwell 16/512 model.

Thanks for this, I think I'm gonna shell out for the 512GB SSD, but stick with 8GB RAM. I'll only be running one VM at a time of either Windows or Linux, so as long as I can give those 4GB each and not run them both at once I should be okay.

Future-proofing computers is a rabbit hole anyway, because there's always more you can upgrade but it'll still be obsolete 'soon', just maybe one year later than it would otherwise. I can always sell it in X years and jump ship to a higher spec machine if it's starting to struggle, since they seem to have surprisingly decent resale value, even for the older Macbooks.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Briefly returning to that Magic Mouse thing, I really hated using mine without futzing with the acceleration settings with Better Touch Tool, setting sensitivity to some insanely high level beyond what the OS allows by default. With SmoothMouse configured to No Acceleration, both my Magic Mouse and G9x work perfectly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Can I take my rMBP in to Apple to get my keyboard cleaned? Apparently doing it myself voids the warranty, so why don't they just fuckin do it themselves?

You could ask, I don't see why not.

What do you mean doing it yourself voids the warranty? The keyboard is like, bonded to the case, so it's not like you're going to be able to separate them without breaking all your poo poo. Throwing a can of duster at it and using a cloth with some soap and water isn't going to void your drat warranty...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

The Twitter app also takes up quite a bit of energy. Flash Player too; that's why I actually want EME in Safari, despite the fact I'm opposed to DRM.

Now if only Safari could catch up to Chrome on HTML5/CSS3 compatibility, that'd be great.

The clickToFlash plugin for Safari will help on most sites that have html5 video sources

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
What's a decent, not too expensive monitor (would like to keep under around $250) that would work well with a docked 15" rMBP? I'm switching to working from home in a few weeks and while I love my laptop to death, I know my physiotherapist will murder me for the ergonomic damage I'd inflicted on myself by hunching over the laptop for 8+ hours a day.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Dell u2311h can be had for less than $150 in a firesale. 23", IPS...a few years old, but I've got one and love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phoenixan posted:

Looking at the current gen ones with 512 gb ssd and 750m. I'm mostly asking because I haven't owned a Mac since 2004, but I started using OSX occasionally at work, and god drat do I find it nicer to work with these days.

I got a refurb 2013 (totally the same as the one you're looking at aside from a tiny CPU bump) back in February and it's been absolutely indistinguishable from a fresh-out-of-the-box machine. I'd highly recommend the refurb store to anyone and everyone.

E,fb by a country mile. That's what I get for being in New Hampshire with poo poo internet access...

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 15, 2014

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bamabalacha posted:

What's a decent, not too expensive monitor (would like to keep under around $250) that would work well with a docked 15" rMBP? I'm switching to working from home in a few weeks and while I love my laptop to death, I know my physiotherapist will murder me for the ergonomic damage I'd inflicted on myself by hunching over the laptop for 8+ hours a day.

fleshweasel posted:

The Dell u2311h can be had for less than $150 in a firesale. 23", IPS...a few years old, but I've got one and love it.

Yeah, the Dell Ultrasharps are all pretty recommendable - probably the best monitors you can get for ~$250 or less. The Wirecutter recommends the U2412M, which is currently $264 on Amazon, but can occasionally be had for a bit less than that. A friend got the U2414H for not much more, which I think is a newer version of the same model? It has USB 3.0 ports, which are handy. Both of these can be rotated and used in portrait orientation, which is a handy option to have, depending on what you're working on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, the Dell Ultrasharps are all pretty recommendable - probably the best monitors you can get for ~$250 or less.
The 2014 Dell P-series monitors were upgraded to IPS too. They don't quite have all of the functionality of the Ultrasharps but are still pretty nice also and can be had for even cheaper than the comparative Ultrasharp typically.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Posting from my new rMBP 13". Went with the 256gb ssd and 8gb of ram. I'm already getting paranoid about the hard drive space being eaten up quickly but I think that's just because I'm so used to storing tons of poo poo like video and audio. Now that I've been using Spotify for awhile, I doubt I'll even bother using iTunes again unless it's to do something with my phone.

I'm really liking it so far. Super fast and quiet which is a nice change from my 2009 unibody. And holy poo poo this retina display. Really starting to appreciate it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The form fitting SD cards seem to be a good solution to storing tons of video and audio.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I Might Be Adam posted:

Now that I've been using Spotify for awhile, I doubt I'll even bother using iTunes again unless it's to do something with my phone.
Just get Spotify Premium so you can use the Spotify mobile app and sync songs locally do your device for any situations where a network connection/WiFi isn't available.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

SourKraut posted:

Just get Spotify Premium so you can use the Spotify mobile app and sync songs locally do your device for any situations where a network connection/WiFi isn't available.

Yeah, I've been paying for premium for like a year now. It's awesome to not have to worry about data usage on my phone and avoid ads.

I asked about cases for the new laptop at the apple store but the rep said to just go on amazon to save money over the $50 cases they had in store. What is a good suggestion. Don't want to add a lot of bulk, just don't want to worry about scratches and scuffs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I Might Be Adam posted:

And holy poo poo this retina display. Really starting to appreciate it.

After using the exact MBP you're using, it was really hard to go back to my PC display. (I keep the PC around for Steam games). Retina is super beautiful. Space so far hasn't been an issue for me. But partially it's because the desktop is there for storage now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

I asked about cases for the new laptop at the apple store but the rep said to just go on amazon to save money over the $50 cases they had in store. What is a good suggestion. Don't want to add a lot of bulk, just don't want to worry about scratches and scuffs.

Just get a sleeve and be careful about it. I find that clip-on hard cases for Macbooks tend to scuff and scratch them up, ironically enough. Particularly because dirt gets caught inside the case.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just get a sleeve and be careful about it. I find that clip-on hard cases for Macbooks tend to scuff and scratch them up, ironically enough. Particularly because dirt gets caught inside the case.

Hmm, much like my iPhone, I can see how snap on cases would trap dirt and scratch up the device. I'm usually super careful with my electronics but my 2009 mbp that I got from work is all beat up from all the travel I did with it. I guess a sleeve would be fine but I'd rather not have to pull it out of the sleeve every time, unless they make sleeves where the opening is on the long side of the sleeve instead of the short side.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm a big fan of a sleeve + BestSkinsEver. The matte finish of the skin doesn't give your laptop that plastic-y cheap look, and it prevents minor scuffs and scratches when in use.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I've been paying for premium for like a year now. It's awesome to not have to worry about data usage on my phone and avoid ads.

Those cases are poo poo, just don't be a slob.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Those cases are poo poo, just don't be a slob.
Different people use their laptops for different things. Not everyone's MBP lives exclusively on their desk at home or work. Mine is used in labs, lecture halls, planes, meeting rooms, etc. People bump into you, drop things, etc. It's also frequently set on non-level surfaces which means it's not actually resting on its feet, which leaves the bottom susceptible to being scratched. Some people want a bit of protection if their $3000 laptop is in those environments. It has nothing to do with being a "slob."

I had a Speck case on my MacBook Air (the black, kinda soft-rubber one not the clear hard plastic) and liked it for the added texture and bonus protection. It never scratched the finish of my Air in the 2 years that I had it. The rMBP version has terrible reviews though which is why I gave BSE a shot after being so impressed with their iPad skins over the years. I love it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 15, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Different people use their laptops for different things. Not everyone's MBP lives exclusively on their desk at home or work. Mine is used in labs, lecture halls, planes, meeting rooms, etc. People bump into you, drop things, etc. It's also frequently set on non-level surfaces which means it's not actually resting on its feet, which leaves the bottom susceptible to being scratched. Some people want a bit of protection if their $3000 laptop is in those environments. It has nothing to do with being a "slob."

Learned this the hard way; got some ugly scratches on the bottom of my MBP, made me very sad. I still only run with a sleeve so it stays safe in my backpack, hard case adds too much bulk for me, but on my next MBP, I might consider it if only to protect the bottom.

Also you should totally check your PMs :smith:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Since the overall aluminum body of the MBPs/MBAs can potentially aid in thermal dissipation, has anyone ever seen any studies on how much impact putting a plastic (insulating) case on the MBPs has? Could be interesting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

I guess a sleeve would be fine but I'd rather not have to pull it out of the sleeve every time, unless they make sleeves where the opening is on the long side of the sleeve instead of the short side.

They do. Look for ones with zippers. Those generally open on the long side or multiple sides.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm a big fan of a sleeve + BestSkinsEver. The matte finish of the skin doesn't give your laptop that plastic-y cheap look, and it prevents minor scuffs and scratches when in use.

I'm strongly considering getting one for mine. I told my gf to get one for her iPad on your recommendation and it's been fantastic, so I have every bit of confidence that it will work for an rMBP.

Like SourKraut just mentioned, my only possible concern would be heat dissipation, since the iPad doesn't ever get nearly as hot as a notebook does.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Like SourKraut just mentioned, my only possible concern would be heat dissipation, since the iPad doesn't ever get nearly as hot as a notebook does.
It doesn't insulate the laptop nearly as much as a case does, and I've encountered no heat related issues on my rMBP under heavy load.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Kingnothing posted:

You say you've taken it in and had apple service it. Can you be a little more specific as to what they serviced?

AppleCare on the phone will have a very hard time with intermittent video issues as they can't see it. My suggestion to you is to find the exact way to reproduce it and have them reproduce it at the store so they can troubleshoot. In addition, I would note the EXACT day and time it last happens before you bring it in so they can dig in console and see what it's spitting out. Taking it into a store (not going to assume, but based on the way you worded it it sounds like once) and then calling the department of fair trade is certainly not all you can do to get it fixed.

Don't waste your time with courts. It'll get you nowhere.

No, this thing has been serviced at least twice. The last time they said they replaced the logic board.

I already showed them the screenshots and videos of examples in store. I have wrote down the crash times and dates for the next time I take it in. From what I gather from console, spindump is happening a lot whatever that is.

Choadmaster posted:

^^^ That

Find some way to reproduce the issue on demand is the most important step. That way, they can't claim it's fixed or "we were unable to reproduce it." Then bring it into the store, show them, and it should get fixed (or replaced).

I had many months of runaround from Applecare about one of my Minis (something like 5 or 6 visits to the store including 4 repairs and two calls to AppleCare attempting to escalate the issue) and jack poo poo got fixed until I found a way to consistently reproduce the problem.

It appears to be time based because the machine will do it around being turned on for 4 hours.

Bummer about the Mac mini but after reading this it seems it's not just me-AppleCare is not what it used to be. :(

Mainly, I'm just angry that after 10 calls and 2 visits they can't just replace the thing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the_lion posted:

No, this thing has been serviced at least twice. The last time they said they replaced the logic board.

I already showed them the screenshots and videos of examples in store. I have wrote down the crash times and dates for the next time I take it in. From what I gather from console, spindump is happening a lot whatever that is.

Spindump is an Apple diagnostic program. When it runs automatically, it's because OS X noticed that a program is "spinning" (not responding to user input, showing the spinning wheel of death) for too long. It collects diagnostic information which can hopefully help Apple's engineering figure out what caused the spin.

The decision about whether or not to draw the spinning wheel is tied into the graphics layers of OS X. I've seen crashing graphics drivers induce spins and trigger spindump before.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the_lion posted:

It appears to be time based because the machine will do it around being turned on for 4 hours.

Bummer about the Mac mini but after reading this it seems it's not just me-AppleCare is not what it used to be. :(

Mainly, I'm just angry that after 10 calls and 2 visits they can't just replace the thing.

They're not just going to replace it because based on your explanation it could be software or use.

Have you tried a fresh install, WITHOUT restoring from any sort of backup?

What are you doing for those 4 hours? If your pushing the machine super hard for 4 straight hours, it's totally possible to create graphics issues.

Do you have any third party parts like memory, hard drive, etc? Those could all cause this as well.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kingnothing posted:

What are you doing for those 4 hours? If your pushing the machine super hard for 4 straight hours, it's totally possible to create graphics issues.

Not in a fully functional and healthy computer with a bug-free OS.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's true, although you can have issues that only manifest under load. I get artifacts when playing 3D games in OS X and Windows, but never in daily use.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Kingnothing posted:

They're not just going to replace it because based on your explanation it could be software or use.

Have you tried a fresh install, WITHOUT restoring from any sort of backup?

Do you have any third party parts like memory, hard drive, etc? Those could all cause this as well.

I've done 5-7 clean installs of Mavericks. I had the problem before we installed more ram. Everything else is stock.

During the 4 hours, generally the machine is idle or running basic web browsing. Most days it will crash overnight. I am doing Photoshop and video stuff but lately I haven't done anything super taxing (eg no 16 hour renders or 6GB photoshop files).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I'm currently using a Mid-2012 13" Air with 256gigs hd. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the new 2014 MBPr 13" models. I use a MBP 2012 model at work and one thing that frustrates me is how slow and sluggish running a Windows VM feels. Will this be an issue with the new models I'm looking at? I really just need a VM to run Visual Studio and nothing else. The rest of my time will be spent in OSX doing other stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xgalaxy posted:

So I'm currently using a Mid-2012 13" Air with 256gigs hd. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the new 2014 MBPr 13" models. I use a MBP 2012 model at work and one thing that frustrates me is how slow and sluggish running a Windows VM feels. Will this be an issue with the new models I'm looking at? I really just need a VM to run Visual Studio and nothing else. The rest of my time will be spent in OSX doing other stuff.

The reason your VM feels slow is you don't have an SSD in the 2012 MBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Are there any differences between a June 2013 13" Macbook Air and the current model ? Was looking on the refurb store and was wondering if the price difference was too good to be true ?