Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber. A great crime/caper/comedy book about five of Spider-Man's lower-tier enemies working together as the Sinister Six. (There are FIVE of them.) The series has been collected in two trade paperbacks so far.

You don't know that! They could have Dormammu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

You don't know that! They could have Dormammu!

Always the Dormammu with you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber. A great crime/caper/comedy book about five of Spider-Man's lower-tier enemies working together as the Sinister Six. (There are FIVE of them.) The series has been collected in two trade paperbacks so far.

Throwing my endorsement behind this also. I got to it because of this thread and shoot dang it is hilarious and fun and would make an excellent movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Puckish rogues: The Runaways, Journey into Mystery, the latest run of Young Avengers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Puckish rogues: The Runaways, Journey into Mystery, the latest run of Young Avengers.

Peter David's X-Factor.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
If I consider Chew one of my favorite things that I've read, is there anything else that is just as insane/up this alley?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

wagnike2 posted:

If I consider Chew one of my favorite things that I've read, is there anything else that is just as insane/up this alley?

Archer & Armstrong
Quantum & Woody
Manhattan Projects

What you like about Chew would probably help because I don't think it's particularly "insane" for a comic book.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stuff come on Unlimited six months after publication right? How exact is that? The last issue of the 2013 Secret Avengers was published Feb 28 2014 so it should be up in two weeks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Stuff come on Unlimited six months after publication right? How exact is that? The last issue of the 2013 Secret Avengers was published Feb 28 2014 so it should be up in two weeks.

I only signed up a few weeks ago, but looking at the new releases it looks dead on.

The August 11th update is all February 12th releases.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems to me that it might vary by a day or two but in the half-year I've been on it it's been pretty close. Unlimited adds their stuff on Mondays and NCBD is Wednesday so it's not exact.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I heard Runaways fell into the nebulous area known as the It Was Good Then Became Bad And Now Nobody Cares Zone. Is it worth picking up on comixology up to a certain point? Panels I've seen in the Funny/Badass threads look like it could be a fun series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pierson posted:

I heard Runaways fell into the nebulous area known as the It Was Good Then Became Bad And Now Nobody Cares Zone. Is it worth picking up on comixology up to a certain point? Panels I've seen in the Funny/Badass threads look like it could be a fun series.

Get the initial run and nothing else.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pierson posted:

All the Brian K Vaughan and Adrian Alphona stuff is gold, there's a volume after that written by Joss Whedon, then ABANDON SHIP.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

tenniseveryone posted:

All the Brian K Vaughan and Adrian Alphona stuff is gold, there's a volume after that written by Joss Whedon, then ABANDON SHIP.

As a huge Joss Whedon fan, I endorse this opinion. Maybe it's better if you're not waiting three months between issues, but I doubt it.

First volume is pretty boss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also all on Marvel Unlimited if you don't want to spend as much.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What are some good stories featuring the Celestials? I've read Hickman's F4 already, and that and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie are really all I know about them.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

What are some good stories featuring the Celestials? I've read Hickman's F4 already, and that and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie are really all I know about them.

Earth X

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncanny Avengers has had a Celestial threatening to stomp on Earth for the last several issues. That's been a great book.

e: That storyline involving Celestials goes from #6 to the last issue. You could possibly skip 1-5 (which wasn't all that good, IMO), but Rick Remender's upcoming event Axis will probably go back to the Red Skull stuff that was set up in that opening arc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's also the Neil Gaiman Eternals, which I couldn't really get into, but I hear good things.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Man, I have so much freaking Fantastic Four to read. I was never that into them (the classic Galactus trilogy is the only time I've read a FF title), but the more I read about the MU the more interested I get, especially catching up with a bunch of the Marvel NOW titles like New Avengers.

So far, I have #60-524, the Waid/Wieringo run, then the Hickman run from #570-611 (and also the 23-issue FF series), then I guess the short NOW Matt Fraction F4/FF run (I haven't read as much lavish praise for this one), and finally the newest 2014 NOW run (which I know absolutely nothing about but I'm pretty much reading all of the semi-decent NOW titles now). Is that all pretty solid? Before I got into Marvel NOW the Waid run was the only thing on my list, but now the Hickman run is really what I'm most interested in. Can I start there and go back to Waid later? It looked like there was some decent talent rotating in and out during the gap from 524-570 too, but I'm inclined to skip them for now if they're not vital to any plot developments.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ror posted:

Man, I have so much freaking Fantastic Four to read. I was never that into them (the classic Galactus trilogy is the only time I've read a FF title), but the more I read about the MU the more interested I get, especially catching up with a bunch of the Marvel NOW titles like New Avengers.

So far, I have #60-524, the Waid/Wieringo run, then the Hickman run from #570-611 (and also the 23-issue FF series), then I guess the short NOW Matt Fraction F4/FF run (I haven't read as much lavish praise for this one), and finally the newest 2014 NOW run (which I know absolutely nothing about but I'm pretty much reading all of the semi-decent NOW titles now). Is that all pretty solid? Before I got into Marvel NOW the Waid run was the only thing on my list, but now the Hickman run is really what I'm most interested in. Can I start there and go back to Waid later? It looked like there was some decent talent rotating in and out during the gap from 524-570 too, but I'm inclined to skip them for now if they're not vital to any plot developments.

Waid's run is really awesome and work a read. The Hickman is also great. I would say that you should read Waid's run first as their is a relationship that seems to go backwards if you start with Hickman. The runs inbetween them are not worth it, and the Fraction and Robinson are nothing special. However, Fraction's FF run is awesome and well worth a read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ror posted:

(I haven't read as much lavish praise for this one)

Fraction/Allred's FF is amazing, lively, beautiful. Anything bad you hear about his F4 is not reflected here.
I gave up on F4 after three issues and wish FF could have been running to this day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

then I guess the short NOW Matt Fraction F4/FF run (I haven't read as much lavish praise for this one), and finally the newest 2014 NOW run
I would just skip Fraction's F4 and stick with his FF. I also have never heard anyone speak of Robinson's 2014 F4 one way or another, so I'm guessing it's pretty skippable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

I would just skip Fraction's F4 and stick with his FF. I also have never heard anyone speak of Robinson's 2014 F4 one way or another, so I'm guessing it's pretty skippable.
Everyone here read like the first issue or two of Robinson's F4 then dropped it. Maybe it's gotten better, but I wouldn't know.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked the Fraction/Bagley run, and the Millar/Hitch run. Maybe I'm just a Fantastic Four junkie.

If you're making a FF reading list, you should probably read issues 47-52 by Lee/Kirby. That covers the intro to the Inhumans, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, and the all time great "This Man! This Monster!" story.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I was entertained by the Millar run and think it's worth reading if only for the setup of plot bits in Hickman's run.

I thought the Fraction run was so-so. There are certainly worse things to read, but also better. I think both his F4 and FF cratered near the end when everything suddenly compressed to finish the runs after Fraction left but on the whole FF was fun.

I will second reading the Lee/Kirby stuff. It is good.

Definitely read the Waid run prior to Hickman. Also, another benefit of reading the Millar run is that it kinda tones down Doom between the Waid/Hickman runs because Waid's Doom is iirc an unforgivable monster.

One of these days I'll read the Byrne run which is supposed to be really good (I haven't checked to see if it's on Unlimited).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Oh, the Walt Simonson (-written and -illustrated!) run is really drat good too! Start at 337, and it goes till 354.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Byrne run a lot, but I think the Simonson one might be slightly better despite being a fraction of the length.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the Steve Ditko Omnibus Vol. 1 hardcover for pretty cheap at my local shop. It contains Shade: The Changing Man, Stalker and I guess, assorted sci-fi and horror shorts. Can anyone verify that it's an awesome collection?

I can enjoy stuff of that era just fine if the ideas are bonkers enough (ie: The Jack Kirby Fourth World comics.) I imagine it'll hit that spot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I love Morrison's 1-2-3-4 mini, which totally sold me on the Fantastic Four, having previously not really gotten the appeal. He hits a lot of the interesting emotional character beats while also turning in a standard-weird Morrison story.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Just watched Assault on Arkham, and Deadshot was my favorite character in Secret 6, so how much of pre-New 52 Suicide Squad is good?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baby Broomer posted:

Just watched Assault on Arkham, and Deadshot was my favorite character in Secret 6, so how much of pre-New 52 Suicide Squad is good?
Uh, all of it?

If you want prime Deadshot, grab the 4-part Deadshot mini by Ostrander, recently re-released in one trade (which takes place around #20 of SS, but it's a pretty standalone story).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baby Broomer posted:

All the John Ostrander stuff, most of which is sadly out of print. The Suicide Squad was introduced in the post-Crisis miniseries Legends in 1987, co-written by Ostrander and Len Wein and drawn by John Byrne. Legends also introduced the Justice League International lineup.

After that, Suicide Squad ran for 66 issues, starting in 1987, plus one Annual, a Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad Special, a JLI crossover (#13 of both series), a four-issue Deadshot miniseries, and a multi-part crossover called "The Janus Directive" that crossed over into issues of Checkmate, Firestorm, Manhunter, and Captain Atom. And it's all good stuff -- very much ahead of its time. Sadly, there is only one existing TPB, Suicide Squad: Trial By Fire, reprinting #1-8.

Ostrander returned to write the Squad in the mid-2000s, with an eight-issue miniseries that was collected as a TPB.

The team has also appeared in Arrow, with Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, and Shrapnel joining John Diggle and his ex-wife Lyla "Harbinger" Michaels. And there was a fantastic Justice League Unlimited episode where the Squad broke into the League's Watchtower headquarters.

EDIT: Of course redbackground beat me to it! :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all up digitally, though. There was a dollar sale recently in time for the new SS.
https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-1987-1992/comics-series/3752

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Aces, but I'm guessing from what I've head around these parts that both the New 52 SS books are duds?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Baby Broomer posted:

Aces, but I'm guessing from what I've head around these parts that both the New 52 SS books are duds?

Ales Kot (known for Zero) did a tiny four issue run that's worth reading. It's issues 20-23 or trade #4, which includes two extra horrible villains month issues not by Kot.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm looking for entire issues or long scenes in issues that are mostly well-written dialogue. I'm thinking specifically of the Ultimate Spiderman issue where Peter tells Aunt May about everything, and the conversation between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner in Avengers #28. Not necessarily Superhero comics, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mimir posted:

I'm looking for entire issues or long scenes in issues that are mostly well-written dialogue. I'm thinking specifically of the Ultimate Spiderman issue where Peter tells Aunt May about everything, and the conversation between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner in Avengers #28. Not necessarily Superhero comics, though.
Fury MAX: My War Gone By, by Garth Ennis. There is an incredible amount of on-point (and just crushing) dialogue throughout.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 27, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Civil War: The Confession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It was pointed out to me that I should probably check in with you guys about a situation I brought up in the general chat thread, so if you don't mind, I'd like to crosspost:

I work as a mental health therapist with juvenile delinquents in an inpatient, residential facility. One of my kids is Bruce Banner. He's calm most of the time, mild mannered and pleasant. But occasionally, he flips out and starts throwing furniture, slamming doors, and he can hurt people without meaning to. When he gets like this, his whole physiology changes, his posture straightens out and his arm muscles are flexed... He's a scary kid when he's in that place, but when he's in my office he's usually fine.

I brought up The Hulk analogy and he seemed very interested, he likes cartoons and professional wrestling, so he's up for a bit of fantasy and whatnot. I want to show him some source material on The Hulk, one of the movies would even be good. Some of the questions about what I'm looking for: Is there something that most emphasizes the differences between Bruce Banner and The Hulk? Something that shows how much The Hulk impacts the life of Bruce Banner? Something that shows how frustrated Bruce gets over his alter-ego and how difficult it can be for him to control it? Something that shows how Bruce Banner learns about controlling it?

Any combination of those types of things would be fantastic. And if there's anything else that you guys think may be relevant in a case like this, I'm all ears! I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff out there so it's not like everything has to be in one place. I'm not a rich man (just a social worker), but I would be more than happy to spring for some comics for this kid. He's got pretty much no one in the world to look out for him, as is usually the case in my facility, so I'm always looking for opportunities to get the kids something meaningful.

I know next to nothing about The Hulk, or comics in general for that matter, but I finally found something that feels a lot like a connection with this kid and I really want to capitalize on it. So yeah, anything in movies, cartoons, or comics that even comes close to hinting toward topics I proposed would be super helpful.

So far, I've gotten issues #377 and 393 from the other thread. They are great and I look forward to using them, any others would be helpful, as well as weighing in on which movie may be the better one to go with.