Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Recently I started playing with my lands (and usually other mana sources) in front of my other permanents. I like it. :smug:

Also I attended a PTQ (didn't play, just saw some people and met the L2 judge I've been talking to), but didn't get to help out at the WMCQ because I was very tired and skipped out on it in favour of more sleep.

VV: I tried that as well, but I think I'll keep it for later. Lands in front is not bad though.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Serperoth posted:

Recently I started playing with my lands (and usually other mana sources) in front of my other permanents. I like it.

Now just start playing with all your permanents facing your opponent and you'll be history's greatest monster.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

End of Life Guy posted:

What do you put in the sideboard of Breakfast Burrito to turn it into Belcher? If there are no LEDs involved, I'm interested.

4 Goblin Charbelchers, 4 Land Grants, and 1 Taiga, if I had to make a plebeian guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Very frustrating PTQ for me today. I was on Blue-Red Twin and started out with a grindfest against UWR Control which I was lucky enough to win in turns of game 3 by having the extra counter. Game 2 I'm paired against a guy some guy with a team shirt on playing burn who was just the biggest rear end in a top hat. Wouldn't even shake my hand when we sat down and kept asking me if I wanted to redirect his SkullCracks with my resolved Spellskite, presumably to "get me" to activate Skite and target an illegal target. I let it get the best of me and lost in 2 games which I played horribly. chalk it up to a learning experience.

Then I'm paired against an affinity player and I just lose to two god hands and my drawing no bolts which I can't feel too bad about. So I tell myself I'll play until I'm X-3 and then drop out. After losing to the affinity player, I'm able to rattle off 4 wins in a row vs Hexproof, Pod, Scapeshift and Jund (my second worst matchup in the room with 2 unanswered Blood Moon's in games 2 and 3. I'll get to this later.) So at this point I'm 5-2 and it's 8 rounds total and going off my breakers if I won round 8 I had a decent chance to get into the top 16 and a lock to get top 32 and go home with a box, which for it being only my second Modern PTQ i would've felt great about.

So for round 8, I sit down and start my match against a Pod player. We're about 4 turns into the game and I'm pretty much a lock to take game one. I have a resolved Exarch in play, Twin in hand, and I've just Peeked at his hand seeing Land, Land, Redcap. Figure I'm about a 95% favorite to win the game at that point. Adding to that, Pod is BY FAR my best matchup. I have about 11 SB hate cards to bring in against them and had won easily vs the pod player earlier in the day so I would've been favored in both post-board games. All of a sudden a judge comes over to us and tell us to stop playing. Why? Well apparently they had paired another player incorrectly so they told us to stop playing, that the game up till then was void and that we would have to be playing new people. I complained but of course no one really gave a poo poo. My new opponent then comes over and proceeds to smash my face in with Junk which is by far my worst matchup in the room. Just very very frustrating...

I did get to meet and bullshit with Jacob Van Lunin who was a super nice dude.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 18, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

mcmagic posted:

Wouldn't even shake my hand when we sat down and kept asking me if I wanted to redirect his SkullCracks with my resolved Spellskite, presumably to "get me" to activate Skite and target an illegal target.

The target is legal, it just doesn't do anything on resolution.

Source: every player ever that has Mindslaver locked their opponent and used Spellskite for lethal from an even amount of life remaining.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnacondaHL posted:

The target is legal, it just doesn't do anything on resolution.

Source: every player ever that has Mindslaver locked their opponent and used Spellskite for lethal from an even amount of life remaining.

Fine, I phrased it wrong. He was still trying to "get me" which is assholeish.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

Very frustrating PTQ for me today. I was on Blue-Red Twin and started out with a grindfest against UWR Control which I was lucky enough to win in turns of game 3 by having the extra counter. Game 2 I'm paired against a guy some guy with a team shirt on playing burn who was just the biggest rear end in a top hat. Wouldn't even shake my hand when we sat down and kept asking me if I wanted to redirect his SkullCracks with my resolved Spellskite, presumably to "get me" to activate Skite and target an illegal target. I let it get the best of me and lost in 2 games which I played horribly. chalk it up to a learning experience.

Whenever someone tries to feed me bad/illegal plays, I usually act like they're extremely generous to be giving me such good advice, but now that they said it, I can't in good conscience take advantage of their good will, so I can't make that play. That usually gets them to cut it out.

I don't think it's actually illegal to target Skullcrack with Spellskite, it just does nothing. You have to wonder if feeding people bad plays actually works even at the PTQ level, or if this guy was just desperate.

The thing about your good matchup getting canceled blows, but what are you going to do? At least your event didn't suddenly implode like something out of Magic Online. They have to obey their own rules which presumably includes the matchmaking system, and if they screw up they can't just roll with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Fine, I phrased it wrong. He was still trying to "get me" which is assholeish.

Someone was pulling dumb poo poo like this on an opponent that was playing magic for the first time at my last FNM. He put the store manager in such a rage he decided to rant on the entire 170 player crowd about FNM being about fun and to stop being dicks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sickening posted:

Someone was pulling dumb poo poo like this on an opponent that was playing magic for the first time at my last FNM. He put the store manager in such a rage he decided to rant on the entire 170 player crowd about FNM being about fun and to stop being dicks.

It's a tad off topic, but I did this at a Netrunner event I was running. That poo poo is loving ridiculous, it's a goddamn game.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Rules chat! I read a tournament report and someone posted this

quote:

He cascaded into living end, I sac'd everything but ravager, then put ravager's counters on a champion coming back from exile. He called a judge who confirmed it worked

Living end says

quote:

Each player exiles all creature cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all creatures he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield.

Living end is weird, it has 3 seperate steps in order, but in terms of the stack and resolving a spell they all happen "at once" meaning the Modular trigger of Ravager never goes onto the stack until living end is resolved, which makes a creature back from the GY a legal target? I'm not bad with rules but do this then do this then do this makes my head hurt a little.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

jassi007 posted:

Rules chat! I read a tournament report and someone posted this

Living end says

Living end is weird, it has 3 seperate steps in order, but in terms of the stack and resolving a spell they all happen "at once" meaning the Modular trigger of Ravager never goes onto the stack until living end is resolved, which makes a creature back from the GY a legal target? I'm not bad with rules but do this then do this then do this makes my head hurt a little.

Yeah, any abilities that trigger during the resolution of a spell wait until the spell is done resolving to be put on the stack (in turn order starting with the active player, if multiple players have triggers). When Living End is done resolving, Etched Champion is on the battlefield and can be targeted by the modular ability.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Today I learned its totally worth spending 4 more dollars for a playset of Ravnica Remands over the duel deck one if not only for the flavor text, than for the better art.

I'm planning on building Mono U From in the future, and it absolutely astounds me that Wurmcoil Engine is still so expensive. Is there any particular reason for that?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Count Bleck posted:

Today I learned its totally worth spending 4 more dollars for a playset of Ravnica Remands over the duel deck one if not only for the flavor text, than for the better art.

I'm planning on building Mono U From in the future, and it absolutely astounds me that Wurmcoil Engine is still so expensive. Is there any particular reason for that?

Just reading it, it seems factually good. I'm not sure how else to phrase that, so I'll borrow a quote from its Gatherer discussion page:

quote:

This goes great in that deck... which one was it... oh yeah, the one with creatures and mana.

quote:

this cards bigest proplem is its colorless................so you can't decide what deck to put it in.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

It is so good at ending games. If path to exile didn't exist it would have no real answer in modern. When you resolve it you basically always 2 for 1 your opponent. If they play some deck that can't deal with life gain in any reasonable way one swing generally puts the game in your favor. It is the 6th titan, and in almost all circumstances the best one.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

In addition to what other people have been saying, it sees play in modern Tron decks and legacy MUD, both of which are probably popular enough to drive up the price. I'm pretty sure it also shows up in Commander, since it's a big body that's Wrath-resistant and does ridiculous poo poo all on its own.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

There just really isn't a substitute for it. Sure, it's not always the exact card you want to tron out there, but there isn't a situation where it's bad, and it stabilizes the board in a way that nothing else really can. One swing with it can just put you completely out of reach.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wurmcoil is just too good to not play in Tron. Dropping a 6/6 turn 3 is already great and all the bonus it has just pushes it over the top.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So today was a fun day of magic for myself a few palls. We got our LGS to get some packs from original Mirrodin block, and we did a draft of one of each set from it. Did pretty good, would have had first but my opponent in the finals managed to top deck a critical land he needed to drop the Platinum Angel and I wasnt able to draw any of the answers I had in the 3 turns before he killed me. Ran a black/green anti artifacts deck with a lot of protection from artifacts or punishment if artifacts are destroyed. Sadly with no prize support and in order to keep anyone from just drafting money and leaving, we put in all rares and aethervials at the end and got to take turns picking from them based on placing. I drafted a Sword of Fire and Ice, but that Platinum Angel cost me it, managed to get an Aethervial though, which paid for my draft. It was tons of fun though and the store owner said he has enough leftover packs to do another sometime, and also has enough packs for a Time Spiral block draft a Ravnica block draft in the near future. It's awesome to know that there are store owners that actually will do cool stuff like this for their players.

Cernunnos posted:

Now just start playing with all your permanents facing your opponent and you'll be history's greatest monster.
I do this a lot, is it considered a bad thing? I got used to playing against people who didnt know what all the cards do so I just face them towards my opponent so they can read theme easier.

Molybdenum posted:

I bet the time spiral draft will be pricy.
This was 20 bucks to get in, but it was well worth it for the fun and the aether vial. The store owner also has said he wont just sell the extra packs he has, since he is getting them specifically for the drafters at the store. Honestly, I'd be willing to put down a decent entry fee to get into a Time Spiral draft.

Fureil fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fureil posted:

So today was a fun day of magic for myself a few palls. We got our LGS to get some packs from original Mirrodin block, and we did a draft of one of each set from it. Did pretty good, would have had first but my opponent in the finals managed to top deck a critical land he needed to drop the Platinum Angel and I wasnt able to draw any of the answers I had in the 3 turns before he killed me. Ran a black/green anti artifacts deck with a lot of protection from artifacts or punishment if artifacts are destroyed. Sadly with no prize support and in order to keep anyone from just drafting money and leaving, we put in all rares and aethervials at the end and got to take turns picking from them based on placing. I drafted a Sword of Fire and Ice, but that Platinum Angel cost me it, managed to get an Aethervial though, which paid for my draft. It was tons of fun though and the store owner said he has enough leftover packs to do another sometime, and also has enough packs for a Time Spiral block draft a Ravnica block draft in the near future. It's awesome to know that there are store owners that actually will do cool stuff like this for their players.

I do this a lot, is it considered a bad thing? I got used to playing against people who didnt know what all the cards do so I just face them towards my opponent so they can read theme easier.

I bet the time spiral draft will be pricy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cernunnos posted:

Wurmcoil is just too good to not play in Tron. Dropping a 6/6 turn 3 is already great and all the bonus it has just pushes it over the top.

I miss my Grand Architect deck that could do this in Standard. It also used Kraken Hatchling as Sol Rings that could equip Sword of Feast and Famine :black101:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Play of the day: my opponent hitting me with rakdos's return for 3 while im stuck on 2 land and holding 2 loxodon smiters. I've never gotten to take advantage of that part of smiter until today. Feels good man.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Another week, another review: I talk poo poo about Masques block

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

rabidsquid posted:

I miss my Grand Architect deck that could do this in Standard. It also used Kraken Hatchling as Sol Rings that could equip Sword of Feast and Famine :black101:
Well, you have Chief Engineer and Scuttling Doom Engine. That's almost the same, right?

EDIT:
When you talk about the Rhystic cards, you forget to mention Rhystic Study. That's so off-the-scale of the other Rhystic cards it's hilarious. It's like someone dropping lead blocks on your head, and then one of them flies up to the moon instead.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 18, 2014

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Zemyla posted:

When you talk about the Rhystic cards, you forget to mention Rhystic Study. That's so off-the-scale of the other Rhystic cards it's hilarious. It's like someone dropping lead blocks on your head, and then one of them flies up to the moon instead.

Annoying Your EDH Group: The Card

Seriously, it's the most expensive card in the set and it's a goddamn common. I think the only other time that's happened is Fallen Empires. Well, Avatar of Woe is more expensive some places, but that card's been reprinted like five times so who cares.

e: Also, this reminded me that Commander's Arsenal existed, so gently caress this card for that, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fureil posted:

As a "drafting spectator", MD5 is probably my favorite format so far. So many powerful/useful commons and uncommons: Trinket Mage, Thought Courier, Spikeshot Goblin, Auriok Salvagers, Chittering Rats, the mana Myr, the Spellbombs, Cranial Plating, Leonin Battlemage, Bonesplitter, Leonin Bola, Viridian Longbow etc., and a bunch of fun goofy stuff like Avarice Totem, and synergies everywhere. Oh, and you know, Skullclamp.

I've been watching this guy's twitch old videos because I like his laidback attitude and archives are about to be purged. He drafted a truly degenerate deck made of some of the above:

http://www.twitch.tv/solebush1/b/499737306

(In the final game, his opponent almost justifies running Eater of Days. Mirrodin had the best bad crazy Rares.)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Minority Deport posted:

Annoying Your EDH Group: The Card

Seriously, it's the most expensive card in the set and it's a goddamn common. I think the only other time that's happened is Fallen Empires. Well, Avatar of Woe is more expensive some places, but that card's been reprinted like five times so who cares.

e: Also, this reminded me that Commander's Arsenal existed, so gently caress this card for that, too.

I got my Rhystic Study for cheap. At my LGS it's cheaper than Avatar of Woe.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
So I am bored at work and decided it was a good idea to watch people play amulet combo on youtuve and holy poo poo I was not prepared to see so many play mistakes in so few turns go unpunished

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I know people like to poo poo on Avacyn Restored as a bad draft format, but calling it a worse designed set than Fallen Empires? (which somehow doesn't make your top 5 of worst sets) Really?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Worse than Coldsnap?

e: Your insight that the block's power level is mostly concentrated in disruptive and massively linear cards is interesting. I hadn't considered it that way before, but it's totally true. Masques block is the ugliest, awkwardest apology for Urza block that you could imagine.

Attorney at Funk fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 18, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone tried Spirit Bonds in constructed yet? I like how it gives a little extra later on and keeps key creatures alive, just a shsme it does nothing on it's own. I just found it might interact well with Bloodghast, and might mess with it in Modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone tried Spirit Bonds in constructed yet? I like how it gives a little extra later on and keeps key creatures alive, just a shsme it does nothing on it's own. I just found it might interact well with Bloodghast, and might mess with it in Modern.

I'm trying one out in Norin Soul Sisters. If I ever actually play that deck, I'll see how good it is.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Sickening posted:

Oh hey, I think you were at the store I was judging at, because the Standard HJ did that Friday. I was running the sealed event in the back of the store when I suddenly heard the Standard event go quiet and the HJ started talking a bunch, but I couldn't really hear him.

I heard a bit about it later from one of the Standard floor judges, but I didn't know all the details because I left after sealed was done.

mailorder bees fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 18, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Apparently the dude who was trying to pull this on me played in a pro tour... This guy vvvv. You would think a good player wouldn't need to pull that crap to beat a relatively new player.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?p_first=Joe&p_last=Demestrio

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Some more Khans spoiled cards are out, from that decklist earlier. Pics coming in a second.

Two lands:

Really no surprise here, wedge taplands, confirmed I suppose.

A mechanic and also a looter

I like Prowess I'd say. And Monks are cool.

EDIT: Let me know if you'd like me to change the images to links.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 18, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ugh wedge tap lands at uncommon make drafting a real pain in the rear end.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Ugh wedge tap lands at uncommon make drafting a real pain in the rear end.
Was about to post the same thought. If tricokor creatures are common, it's going to suck having to prioritize (bad) fixing, and if one or two colors is the rule, it feels like they'll be slightly better guildgates for splashing. Boo!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Prowess is pretty cool though how it plays is going to depend on what cards are in the set. It definitely promotes building your deck with a lot of instants and making an interesting curve though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Prowess turns every instant into a combat trick, which seems really really good. It's the UWR mechanic, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The art on this card is funny, why is that old lady prancing around with a crazy whip thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Clearly we should also get wedge Panoramas at common. :pseudo:

• Locked thread