Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

pixaal posted:

Sounds like it only helps people that already were infected, unless it picks from a limited list of keys instead of generating a fresh one every time. If there is a limited pool all it takes is an updated version with a new pool and things are right back to square one.

Don't think someone else isn't going to try this.

Yeah but all the previous victims in the history of the malware being able to get their stuff back is quite significant (as long as they kept backups of the files they didn't back up to get into that mess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Surprised crytolocker only netted ~3million

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to safely scan a USB device before it has a chance to install all sorts poo poo into a computer? I have autoplay disabled on Windows 7, if that helps.

I know that it came out that USB has unblockable firmware vulnerabilities, but I'm assuming those aren't in the wild yet (hopefully) and there's really not a lot I can do about it, so for now I'm just worried about regular malware.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If autoplay is disabled, then you can safely plug in and scan.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
run it in a VM? I believe virtualbox will automatically capture certain devices, but I suppose Khablam is right that if it's not autoplaying it can't hurt you.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

If autoplay is disabled, then you can safely plug in and scan.

This is wrong.

The current security issue with USB is that the hardware controller trusts any device that is plugged in to be what is says it is. The 'hack' involves changing the firmware on a USB device so that it claims to be a device it isn't.

The example given is that you could modify a memory stick to also claim to be a keyboard. This would allow it to push keystrokes into the operating system (say, open a command prompt and download and run something) or pull keystrokes out of the system.

Another example is that a keyboard could be modified to log all keys pressed, and then dump that log on request to a piece of malware. The malware doesn't need to be installed in the system, if the USB device has enough firmware space, it could be included there, loaded on command, and report all your keystrokes, without ever running for more than a few seconds. You'd never notice, and A/V would never catch it.

The root cause here is that USB devices have generic hardware that is tailored to a specific function by firmware that is loaded at the factory, but nothing prevents new firmware from being placed on the device that changes the function radically.

It doesn't matter what steps you take at the operating system level, as long as USB is enabled, this will be a risk.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
His question was exempting USB firmware level infections and just asking about file poo poo

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

While file previews exist the answer is still wrong.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

While file previews exist the answer is still wrong.

Are you confusing windows file preview and outlook file preview?
The only example of malware getting off a USB stick without user action / autorun is Stuxnet, which is hardly typical as it is nation-state level espionage. It was a one-shot deal too, since the vulnerability is patched.

Besides, I never suggested it was safe to rummage around on the drive, it's safe enough to connect in order to right click and scan, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Khablam posted:

Are you confusing windows file preview and outlook file preview?
The only example of malware getting off a USB stick without user action / autorun is Stuxnet, which is hardly typical as it is nation-state level espionage. It was a one-shot deal too, since the vulnerability is patched.

You may have missed the article that I linked. As he mentioned, the issue is all USB devices and their firmware are trusted by default. It has nothing to do with the files on the device, but rather the firmware, which can be modified to inject malicious code on to a machine.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

psydude posted:

You may have missed the article that I linked. As he mentioned, the issue is all USB devices and their firmware are trusted by default. It has nothing to do with the files on the device, but rather the firmware, which can be modified to inject malicious code on to a machine.

The question specifically asked for an answer, assuming that the firmware exploit isn't in the wild / hasn't gotten past proof-of-concept.

I suspect kernels will start getting patches for the way they interface with USB devices before we see anything in the wild, but that's just an assumption.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Khablam posted:

The question specifically asked for an answer, assuming that the firmware exploit isn't in the wild / hasn't gotten past proof-of-concept.

I suspect kernels will start getting patches for the way they interface with USB devices before we see anything in the wild, but that's just an assumption.

I assume it is already being used for targeted attacks, and would not be surprised if it has for a long time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KennyTheFish posted:

I assume it is already being used for targeted attacks, and would not be surprised if it has for a long time.

Possibly maybe. Stuxnet afterall, used 3 or 4 then-unknown flaws to deliver it's payload, so the general assumption should always be a determined attacker with a large budget (i.e. national-level espionage) will always have something under their hat to use.
Still, that's not in the wild and only time will tell whether patching systems to stop code being executed from USB firmware is trivial, or would break compatibility, or whether we meet somewhere in the middle and it's a new ground for a exploit-vs-host arms race.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If I'm gonna drop money on one anti-virus, which goon recommended one should it be?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
IIRC, Kapersky consistently gets very high rankings in comparisons. Wait for a second opinion, though.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

This is wrong.

The current security issue with USB is that the hardware controller trusts any device that is plugged in to be what is says it is. The 'hack' involves changing the firmware on a USB device so that it claims to be a device it isn't.

The example given is that you could modify a memory stick to also claim to be a keyboard. This would allow it to push keystrokes into the operating system (say, open a command prompt and download and run something) or pull keystrokes out of the system.

Another example is that a keyboard could be modified to log all keys pressed, and then dump that log on request to a piece of malware. The malware doesn't need to be installed in the system, if the USB device has enough firmware space, it could be included there, loaded on command, and report all your keystrokes, without ever running for more than a few seconds. You'd never notice, and A/V would never catch it.

The root cause here is that USB devices have generic hardware that is tailored to a specific function by firmware that is loaded at the factory, but nothing prevents new firmware from being placed on the device that changes the function radically.

It doesn't matter what steps you take at the operating system level, as long as USB is enabled, this will be a risk.

Yup. Like so. https://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/usb-rubber-ducky/products/usb-rubber-ducky-deluxe

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

89 posted:

If I'm gonna drop money on one anti-virus, which goon recommended one should it be?

microsoft security essentials

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

89 posted:

Probably Kaspersky or Bitdefender. AV Comparatives has both of them towards the top in terms of detection. AV Test, if you click on home user, has them both at the top in terms of performance too. Just keep an eye on sales and you can save some bucks.

Bitdefender Free is the new MSE to me. Runs on old computers quite well, free, not a lot of moving parts to confuse regular folks, tests well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
BitDefender is okay so long as you never uninstall it. It's de-install process leaves something on the boot sector that will stop Windows from booting. I've had to reformat two different computers due to this.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Cactus Jack posted:

Bitdefender Free is the new MSE to me. Runs on old computers quite well, free, not a lot of moving parts to confuse regular folks, tests well.

I'll check that out, thanks!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I used that inexpensive lifetime purchase to get Malwarebytes when I learned that MSE basically totally sucks and isn't even really all that actively updated anymore. Is Malwarebytes poo poo? I'm fine finding a different thing, and I've got a solid "prosumer" router that has proven extremely resilient, and of course I've got my browser kitted out with every script blocking and manipulation tool that it can elegantly fit (also I try not to be a loving idiot on the internet, that helps). I also keep Secunia running, and thank goodness as it let me know about several java weaknesses well before anyone else did (or, thankfully, before I got drive-by worm'd or something thanks to needing loving java on this system in the first place). My comp is not easily accessible to others, and I don't plug in random USB drives... And, yes, I do keep regular backups.

Long story short, I'm tryin' here! And so far, it's worked, no infections or rootkits or anything since about 2006, which given the amount of zero-days and the fact that the time period involved the shift away from AVG as the default recommendation toward MSE and then away from THAT too, to nearly anything else apparently... I feel tentatively as though I'm taking appropriate steps for Just A Person (I can't claim anymore to be active in on-site restoration, last time I did that was in like 2012).

But if my anti-malware software is poo poo, and I should switch immediately, well I guess I'm out $25 on Malwarebytes - and I'd rather that than end up getting screwed over, if possible. It's a tough spot to have to do your thing on an outward facing computer in the first place, I'd at least like to be able to say that I'm taking all reasonable precautions given the circumstances.

Thanks very much anyone who can tell me if I've made a mistake and should correct it to Bitdefender or something like that.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 14, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I also jumped the MSE ship, but to the free version of Avast! It seemed significantly better while still being unobjectionable. It's more focused on a good boundary than detection of an existing infection, so if you use it, it's a good idea to keep MalwareBytes around and a crisis kit for those times when your Linux ISOs come with fun freebies.

If I were to pay, I'd pay for Kapersky (unless something better comes along).

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Ynglaur posted:

BitDefender is okay so long as you never uninstall it. It's de-install process leaves something on the boot sector that will stop Windows from booting. I've had to reformat two different computers due to this.

Odd, I've never seen that. Were you using their removal tool when you got rid of it?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Cactus Jack posted:

Odd, I've never seen that. Were you using their removal tool when you got rid of it?

Haha, whoops. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess not.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Whereas I don't want to recommend MSE, Holly Stewart of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center isn't the official MS spokesperson for their product direction, and that article and those similar are blog-trash journalism.
What she was trying to convey, is that if MS provide 3rd party vendors with everything they know (they do) then the beneficial output from that, is you should see every 3rd party vendor at least bringing MSE-level protection forward, with whatever proprietary methods they develop as a supplement. Gawker media and a PC rag read this as "MS says MSE is poo poo".
MSE is the worst, but that's another story.

Bitdefender free is honestly brilliant for a install-and-forget AV. Avast! is a little more robust at the expense of semi-regular popups. A lot can be turned off though, and if you need it to not annoy you, you can right click the icon and put it in gaming mode.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Go into settings and set permanent gaming/silent mode, and Avast turns into a set-it-and-forget-it. Except for the yearly re-ups of the free license.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Go into settings and set permanent gaming/silent mode, and Avast turns into a set-it-and-forget-it. Except for the yearly re-ups of the free license.

I had an issue where my Avast would update definitions just fine, but the program would not update until I turned off gaming mode. Just something to keep an eye on I guess.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cactus Jack posted:

I had an issue where my Avast would update definitions just fine, but the program would not update until I turned off gaming mode. Just something to keep an eye on I guess.

For those kinds of issues, I install Secunia PSI, since it will let you know if your programs need to be updated. I think it + AdBlock + safe browsing habits are better than any antivirus program will ever be.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dpbjinc posted:

For those kinds of issues, I install Secunia PSI, since it will let you know if your programs need to be updated. I think it + AdBlock + safe browsing habits are better than any antivirus program will ever be.

Add in noScript, adblock misses so much. You still want AV though, stuff slips by. Stuff slips by AV even more often but you should still have something. I also like to scan almost every EXE on virusTotal to get an idea if the software is legit.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

pixaal posted:

I also like to scan almost every EXE on virusTotal to get an idea if the software is legit.

In case you didn't know, VirusTotal has a Windows program so you can just right-click a file > send to VirusTotal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pixaal posted:

Add in noScript, adblock misses so much.

No it doesn't, Adblock Plus blocks things perfectly if you bother to set it to block things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are Word viruses still a thing? Someone at my work was emailed this document but Kaspersky doesn't seem to pick anything up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Are Word viruses still a thing? Someone at my work was emailed this document but Kaspersky doesn't seem to pick anything up.

Did the person say they were emailing you an "Adobe Invoice" with macros in word for some stupid reason?

It's almost certainly a virus unless they created the doc themselves. There's no reason for an invoice like that to have macros enabled, most invoices are created and saved and have all the data within them. Kaspersky probably didn't catch it as the virus isn't there... yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gothmog1065 posted:

Did the person say they were emailing you an "Adobe Invoice" with macros in word for some stupid reason?

It's almost certainly a virus unless they created the doc themselves. There's no reason for an invoice like that to have macros enabled, most invoices are created and saved and have all the data within them. Kaspersky probably didn't catch it as the virus isn't there... yet.

quote:

From: Adobe Customer Support [mailto:Support@AdobeSupport.com]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 1:57 AM
To: ***************
Subject: Adobe Invoice

Hello,
Thank you for choosing adobe services.
Please see your attached invoice.

Adobe Billing Department
Adobe Systems Incorporated
21 Hickory Drive
Waltham, MA 02451

Tricky!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It is:

http://www.jasonslater.com/2014/05/16/fake-adobe-billing-emails/

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
A good way to tell: there's almost zero reason for any company to pay money for a separate domain for their support/customer service/other auxiliary functions. They'll either use their main domain or a subdomain like support.adobe.com, since they can do that for free.

Also, any legitimate big company still using .doc files in TYOOL 2014 is run by morons.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

dpbjinc posted:

A good way to tell: there's almost zero reason for any company to pay money for a separate domain for their support/customer service/other auxiliary functions. They'll either use their main domain or a subdomain like support.adobe.com, since they can do that for free.

Also, any legitimate big company still using .doc files in TYOOL 2014 is run by morons.

I would have thought Adobe sending an invoice in doc instead of pdf would have been the first tell

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dpbjinc posted:

I see someone here who doesn't actually work for a "big company". ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I of course knew it wasn't a real invoice, I just wondered why it wasn't getting picked up.

Adobe is a billion dollar company and they send invoices out by hand? :lol:

• Locked thread