Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Also, this Nightmare Wizard fella, is he from the new Kirby game? And should I buy the new Kirby game? I loved playing Return to Dreamland with my brother.

he's from nightmare in dreamland which is definitely not new

he's right there in the title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well that's what I get for hopping onboard the series with Kirby 64 I guess :saddowns:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Also, this Nightmare Wizard fella, is he from the new Kirby game? And should I buy the new Kirby game? I loved playing Return to Dreamland with my brother.

He's from Kirby's Adventure on NES, though he looks closer to his appearance in the remake, Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ManlyGrunting posted:

On the other hand, when I was a kid I would tend to futz about in a world for a while, and go to the next one the second I had enough jiggies to (which was pretty early), so the game clicked a lot more for me than Kazooie, since I would tend to just play games for a little while than go to something else. Kazooie needing you to get all the notes in one go seriously hindered me from getting into it for the longest time.

Banjo-Tooie and DK64 both had that sort of thing in common; they're clearly collectathons designed for that sort of low-worry playstyle. It's meant to encourage the idea of 'don't worry too much about getting these now, you can just come back later if you want them'. Tooie does that by having a lot of lingering elements that aren't entirely clear how to solve at first, and DK64 just threw way more bananas than you'll ever need at you.

I will say that I really liked Tooie and didn't altogether mind that, but looking back it did suffer from a bad case of ability bloat. Because you had so many abilities stretched out over the two together, each one separate, and transformations, it became difficult to tell at times how you were intended to solve a problem. This got exacerbated by the inter-level connections, opening the possibility that the puzzle you have to solve to get this Jiggy might not even be in this level (this was sometimes signposted well, but not always). You didn't need to get all the Jiggies, and I don't even think there was a reward if you did, but trying to do so systematically was difficult, borderline impossible. And I think a lot of people tried to handle it systematically.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Banjo-Tooie and DK64 both had that sort of thing in common; they're clearly collectathons designed for that sort of low-worry playstyle. It's meant to encourage the idea of 'don't worry too much about getting these now, you can just come back later if you want them'. Tooie does that by having a lot of lingering elements that aren't entirely clear how to solve at first, and DK64 just threw way more bananas than you'll ever need at you.

This is not strictly true of DK64, though. They ease you in by giving you more bananas than you'll need in the early stages, but in the later ones, you basically need them all to unlock the boss doors, unless I'm misremembering. I 100 percent everything either way, so maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ManlyGrunting posted:

Everyone answered the first question already but I'll answer the second.

Yes, Triple Deluxe is amazing and buy it asap

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DrPaper posted:

Of Konami reps it would make more sense than Snake, but it's not a big Nintendo thing outside of Captain N. I wouldn't be against Castlevania representation, but it's not a surprise to me it hasn't happened yet.

Castlevania is one of those series that's definitely significant enough in Nintendo history to have a guest fighter in some eventual SSB installment (so is Final Fantasy I think), but it's pretty hard to fault the choices that have been made this time around. You would not have seen as many people lose their poo poo over Simon Belmont as they did for Mega Man.

Castlevania fans can always hold out for the version that'll come out about 6 years from now.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The 3DS version has a file size of 2.1 GB

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

for reference that's about twice the size of an average 3DS game. (animal crossing new leaf is packed with content and only takes up like 1 gig)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Huh, would have to upgrade my SD card then, have ordered a 3DS XL though, which I believe comes with 4GB. I may just stick with physical though...

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Excels posted:

for reference that's about twice the size of an average 3DS game. (animal crossing new leaf is packed with content and only takes up like 1 gig)

It's about the same size as DKCR, but still a good deal smaller than Bravely Default and Resident Evil, which are the biggest 3DS games to date. Donkey Kong was mostly due to graphical fidelity, textures and such I guess and Bravely Default had both Japanese and English voice overs taking up a lot of space. Not sure why Resident Evil was so big.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Have you SEEN Revelaiton's graphics?

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

sout posted:

Huh, would have to upgrade my SD card then, have ordered a 3DS XL though, which I believe comes with 4GB. I may just stick with physical though...

Well, you can buy a 32GB SD card for like, 15-20 bucks now. There's no reason not to just buy one and copy over the data.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That's true, it would be nice to have it built-in, and it's no trouble getting an SD card. My birthday is a few days before the release of the game though, so it may be easier to get it physical as a present. 3DS games are also usually cheaper physical (at least in the UK), so there's an argument for either.
EDIT: cheaper than from the eShop that is, though I may be able to get a download code cheaper from a game store online, which is how I got Fire Emblem: Awakening

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ManlyGrunting posted:

He's from Kirby's Adventure, which is great and you should play it.

Also, Triple Deluxe is incredible and you should buy it right this second.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
To clarify: There are no bad Kirby games.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
There aren't any just okay Kirby games either. A Kirby game is either great or it doesn't exist.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Watching a speedrun of Super Mario 64 reminds me how it seems like the developers had no idea that people would actually ever long jump outside of the level it's taught to you in. Shocking Arrow Lifts is kind of hilarious because they put in this whole part of standing on tiny moving blocks and dodging electricty things but you can just long jump straight over that entire section

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Alright, two Kirby reveals in a row. Let's keep this gravy train rolling. Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

alcharagia posted:

Alright, two Kirby reveals in a row. Let's keep this gravy train rolling. Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee

And then we get Bandana Dee as yet another Kirby assist trophy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ladyboy pancake posted:

There aren't any just okay Kirby games either. A Kirby game is either great or it doesn't exist.

Ehh, I'd say Squeak Squad is 'just okay'.

Other than that they're all A+ 10/10, even the spin-offs.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Ah, gently caress

JordanKai posted:

Other than that they're all A+ 10/10, even the spin-offs.

I agree with you. Squeak Squad's main problem for me was that it was too easy, even for a Kirby game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Special feature for the Wii U version, five-player mode where the one who holds the gamepad plays as special fighter Bandana Dee. You hang out in the background like Pokemon Trainer did in Brawl and can either help certain fighters by throwing food into the foreground or gently caress with them and throw your spears in their direction.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Other people are noting that there's no Konami copyright on the packaging.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Chakram posted:

To clarify: There are no bad Kirby games.

Does this include Kirby's Tilt and Tumble? Never had a chance to play it and it'd be cool to have a game use the Wii U or 3DS gyroscope on the virtual console.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

J2DK posted:

Ah, gently caress

I agree with you. Squeak Squad's main problem for me was that it was too easy, even for a Kirby game.

Yeah, I remember being really excited when it was announced you could combine powers on the touch screen because I thought it'd be like Kirby 64 and there'd be tons of awesome combinations, and then it ended up being Fire/Ice/Lightning + Sword were the only combinations you could do. :geno:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Erebus posted:

Other people are noting that there's no Konami copyright on the packaging.

The Creatures copyright (Mother series) is on the packaging, at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kurtofan posted:

The Creatures copyright (Mother series) is on the packaging, at least.

Creatures also owns one third of the rights to Pokemon, so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The copyrights don't actually indicate much more than what characters are appearing on the packaging (for one it doesn't credit Shigesato Itoi or APE Inc.).

Regardless of whether or not Snake and Shulk are in or not, I wouldn't read into the packaging too much (incidentally, the Melee box didn't credit Intelligent Systems either).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is anyone really surprised not to see Konami? That writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Not seeing Monolith Soft is a bit discouraging, though. The specific rights all shake out differently per character, but generally the subsidiaries are named (like IntSys).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

You know, if you just repositioned those horns to come out from under the nose, he'd be a fine Waluigi!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I liked Squeak Squad. The collectibles (even though that's a wildly discussed topic at the moment) were pretty cool and they all did something cool like give you a new color for Kirby or an additional move on one of your powers. The storage system was kinda unnecessary and broke the general design philosophy of constantly cycling through different abilities, but finding bubble was always fun. The art and music were top notch, and several of the powers had some of their best iterations in that game. I don't really remember much of the level design, which might have something to do with the fact that it was so easy, but challenge has never been a make-and-break factor in a Kirby game to me before.

Also holy poo poo Nightmare looks fantastic. I really wanna see Viewtiful Joe in that engine.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

JordanKai posted:

It has the Ghost and Animal abilities, that alone makes it great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can't get over Dedede's face in that.
This is probably the first time I'm actually excited over the camera mode/feature in the series.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Rip captain N reunion :negative:

If Bandana dee isn't in, pre-order cancelled

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

pichupal posted:

Does this include Kirby's Tilt and Tumble? Never had a chance to play it and it'd be cool to have a game use the Wii U or 3DS gyroscope on the virtual console.

I own it, it's very good.

A remake would be nice though, as the original only works on the GBC. (the controls are flipped on any other system as it's inserted from the bottom on the DS and GBA.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

WeeabooJudas posted:

I own it, it's very good.

A remake would be nice though, as the original only works on the GBC. (the controls are flipped on any other system as it's inserted from the bottom on the DS and GBA.)
I played Tilt n Tumble on the original Game Boy Advance. Too bad the GameCube sequel was scrapped.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Tilt n Tumble is great as long as you play it with the Gameboy Player for the GameCube.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

horriblePencilist posted:

Tilt n Tumble is great as long as you play it with the Gameboy Player for the GameCube.
Zelda Four Swords Adventures was even better when played on 5 TVs, 5 Gamecubes, and 4 Game Boy players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

horriblePencilist posted:

That's bad for the Game Boy Player disc you monster :mad:

• Locked thread