Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What is this audio of a witness saying Brown was moving towards Wilson when he was shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

How does it make it pretty clear that it's Brown?

Identical clothing and build. Everything from the socks/sandals to the hat is the same. Same height and massive size.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I hope after this stupid handjob for this retiring reporter she asks him something appropriately brutal about Ferguson.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
CNN saying Brown charged the cop, "confirmed" somehow by an anonymous source "close to the investigation"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gregor Samsa posted:

He seems noticeably more comfortable and enthused talking about Iraq than about Missouri.

Getting to talk about us being The Good Guys and saving huddled masses of refugees from certain doom by a band of Saturday morning cartoon villains is probably a lot better than dwelling on the centuries long issue of discrimination and abuse by of authorities of people like him, and that even though he now holds the highest office in the land he is still effectively constrained to do anything about it. Yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Obama: Police talk like this and the community talks like that

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Petr posted:

CNN saying Brown charged the cop, "confirmed" somehow by an anonymous source "close to the investigation"

It was michael brown, from the grave.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Petr posted:

:ssh: its McCullah

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Make up your mind, American Right: did he struggle over the weapon, or did he charge the cop? I can't imagine even the dumbest of the dumb being dumb enough to charge a cop who has a loaded gun literally in his hand.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
How many Americans know what "inculcate" means?

Obama no turn left....

e: Jesus this is a rambling answer, all over the map. "Some law enforcers just need more information." Like what, "don't shoot unarmed people even if they are a Colored," or what here?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My brothers keeper is right out of "the thick of it" pathfinder.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Mo_Steel posted:

Obama no turn left....

I am simultaneously very frustrated with and feel very bad for Obama every time he talks about this poo poo.

e: There "may be" disparities in trials and sentencing, there "may be" institutional reasons for some of this criminal behavior, etc.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Mo_Steel posted:

Obama no turn left....

I admit I don't know what it means so I googled inculate and urban dictionary educated me.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
This rambling response is guaranteed to just piss everyone off.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Petr posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

From the sounds of it one of Wilson's friends called into a radio station and reiterated Wilson's claims about what happened, and then one of the investigators confirmed this what Wilson told them.

Of course I already see people online jumping to the conclusion that this confirms another witness corroborated with Wilson's story. :ughh:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
wasnt obama good at making speeches at some point?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He basically gave a vague non-answer that talked around the issue than address it directly.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Meowjesty posted:

HOW.

How do you look at videos of children getting tear gassed and unicycle protestor and think 'seems ok.'

loving white people goddamn.

EvilHawk posted:

You don't. If you look at the top stories on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC, tear gassing children only appears once (on CNN). However, CNN mentions the (fictitious by some accounts) claim that molotovs were thrown two paragraphs above that, Fox describes the protestors turning the city into a "war zone" (as if the police aren't the ones doing that), and MSNBC mentions "the violent acts we saw last night, including the firing upon law enforcement officers, the shooting of a civilian, the throwing of Molotov cocktails, looting and a coordinated attempt to overrun the unified Command Center".

The sad fact is that unless you want to be informed, and make the effort to get out there and find out what's been going on, you can only think what you've been told is true. If the media repeatedly says "apparently protestors have thrown molotov cocktails/looted/shot at the police" you will believe that the police is trying their best to stop a riot.

I wanna say this is true, but not necessarily.

At least in terms of the disparity there between Black and White people that are viewing this case, you can't account for it by difference in news sources alone.

I did some research based on a similar disparity on responses to Trayvon Martin. Most people I got info from we're looking at major news sources, but also other ones, liberal news sources, etc. And everyone looked at these same sources, Black and White people. And I still found the same difference in answers. Even accounting for their beliefs about race (so there were white people who could say that people of color are treated unfairly, acknowledge racism, etc), and I still found a difference. Not as large, but still there.

Basically, this is about more than news sources. You could show people all of the pictures and love streams and tweets refuting what the major news is saying, but you can't as easily change how people interpret what they see.

Edit: OK, never posting from the mobile app again, I don't know wtf happened when I first posted this, but i fixed it now.

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 18, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Misogynist posted:

Make up your mind, American Right: did he struggle over the weapon, or did he charge the cop? I can't imagine even the dumbest of the dumb being dumb enough to charge a cop who has a loaded gun literally in his hand.

This happens fairly often actually. So yeah.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

No. In fact, the only evidence of molotov cocktails and guns have been due to white people getting arrested.

Yeah, that's not correct. I mean, the police reports of "we've been attacked dozens of times" are pretty clearly bullshit but there is at least one photo of a Molotov from last week and the people lighting it aren't white.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/multimedia/special/ferguson-in-pictures/html_24b2b105-90e3-5ef0-9c65-769e848c0d31.html (you want one of the Wednesday photos for the Molotov, but I recommend the entire series, Post-Dispatch photographer did a nice job.)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Misogynist posted:

Did he struggle over the weapon, or did he charge the cop? I can't imagine even the dumbest of the dumb being dumb enough to charge a cop who has a loaded gun literally in his hand.

Well, after he was a suspect of a murder investigation a few yards ago he held a grudge against the police. Combined with the :siren: confirmed devils weed in his system :siren: and that he just committed strong-arm robbery he rushed the cop because he was a criminal friend of the family thug and the cop had no choice.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 18, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

What ever happened to the dead white guy with a swastika tattoo?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

A big flaming stink posted:

Yeah but he's degenerating into the Cryptkeeper so by this point next year the speeches will be 30% ghastly puns

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

Yes, in contrast to bush.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
One think that I am confident about regarding this whole thing is that, truly, Chaos Reigns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pollyanna posted:

I don't remember that incident well but if they're anything like Boston cops they prolly deserved it.

Black professor I think was arrested trying to enter his home while locked out of it. Obama said the cop acted stupidly for not asking the guy if he lived there before arresting them. The media, predictably, rushed to explain why the cop was justified for immediately arresting a black guy for being in an upscale neighborhood and Obama decided to calm things down by having an apology beer with the cop.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

"Ban Ki-moon posted:

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged U.S. authorities to protect protesters' rights to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/18/us-usa-missouri-shooting-idUSKBN0GF0LP20140818

:smith:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
The "you're not gonna shoot me!" war cry prior to the rhino charge is about as believable as Zimmerman's claim that Trayvon said, "you're going to die tonight." The claim, in both cases actually, that "he looks like he's on something" is just the icing on the cake.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zen death robot posted:

:eyepop: the prosecutor who's dad was a cop that got killed on duty and seems to be taking all of this extremely personally?

Look, you can't just call for a, ahhh, purge night in Louisville. It's not, it may not be, fair to those on...the ground. No, you may have Holder inculcate the county to the Mace of the United States. And, this is why, we have to stand together as a country. What they haven't been getting, I could say, is that I have the Mace. They don't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest part of why Obama's being so rambly and "truth is in the middle"-ish has some, perhaps much, to do with the flak he caught when he dared to express the slightest sympathy for Trayvon Martin after that young man's murder. Were Obama to repeat any sort of similar "I, a black man, find it unacceptable that younger black men tend to get killed on the flimsiest of pretexts" he'd bring the howling crazies out of the woodwork to a much greater degree than they already are, with accusations flying that he's either racializing or politicizing a tragedy for his own ends.

Presuming I'm standing on even mildly solid ground here, I'd imagine that's an immensely frustrating position to be in and would likely contribute to him being off his word game at the moment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kalman posted:

Yeah, that's not correct. I mean, the police reports of "we've been attacked dozens of times" are pretty clearly bullshit but there is at least one photo of a Molotov from last week and the people lighting it aren't white.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/multimedia/special/ferguson-in-pictures/html_24b2b105-90e3-5ef0-9c65-769e848c0d31.html (you want one of the Wednesday photos for the Molotov, but I recommend the entire series, Post-Dispatch photographer did a nice job.)

There's one of an unlit Molotov.
Protesters try unsuccessfully to light a Molotov cocktail as the police prepare to advance on Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, in Ferguson. It was the fourth night of unrest in Ferguson after the fatal police shooting of a teen on Saturday. Photo by Chris Lee, clee@post-dispatch.com

Protestors put out at least one, I know, so there definitely were some earlier in the week, but none from last night I've seen evidence of?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

No he really wasn't, I never understood this phenomenon. I think the national standards were lowered over the Bush administration or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I imagine Obama's been on the phone with the leaders trying to negotiate Ukraine-Russia yesterday. But you'd think he could fit in five hours of sleep somewhere.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest part of why Obama's being so rambly and "truth is in the middle"-ish has some, perhaps much, to do with the flak he caught when he dared to express the slightest sympathy for Trayvon Martin after that young man's murder. Were Obama to repeat any sort of similar "I, a black man, find it unacceptable that younger black men tend to get killed on the flimsiest of pretexts" he'd bring the howling crazies out of the woodwork to a much greater degree than they already are, with accusations flying that he's either racializing or politicizing a tragedy for his own ends.

Presuming I'm standing on even mildly solid ground here, I'd imagine that's an immensely frustrating position to be in and would likely contribute to him being off his word game at the moment.

I basically share your perspective on this.

Gregor Samsa posted:

I am simultaneously very frustrated with and feel very bad for Obama every time he talks about this poo poo.

e: There "may be" disparities in trials and sentencing, there "may be" institutional reasons for some of this criminal behavior, etc.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

He still is, but a speech is different than a press conference.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Kalman posted:

This is what a Molotov cocktail being thrown looks like. That is a tear gas canister and that photo was from several nights ago.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Obama's always been awful at short, concise answers. You saw the same thing at the debates.

His speeches probably aren't as good as they used to, now that Jon Favreau isn't his speechwriter anymore.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ufarn posted:

I imagine Obama's been on the phone with the leaders trying to negotiate Ukraine-Russia yesterday. But you'd think he could fit in five hours of sleep somewhere.

Things Obama had to deal with last night/this morninf:

Russia invading Europe

Ebola is real. Ebola is real.

'Hey, PM of Norway, I'm giving you the heads up that when this call ends, a drone strikes a Norwegian jihadist in Iraq. We still cool?'

'loving hell Warren, can't you make the trains run a little bit on time?'

'Holder, take thee Mace of the United States and :fuckoff: those chucklefucks from across our river.'

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm glad that Obama won't stick his neck out for anyone or anything, for fear that "the crazies" "might" come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kalman posted:

Yeah, there's one picture of a Molotov from last week and apparently the group failed to get it to light and gave up.

Not exactly on the level of "dem violent rioters are tossing fire bottles and shootin' and chargin' the command post" that the media is trying to claim.

• Locked thread