Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
The rulebook also shows that distinct card types will have their own unique borders, which is a relief after the generic cards we'd seen previously.

The first page mentions the box comes with prebuilt decks for the Law Dogs and the Sloane Gang; I'm hoping there's enough to put together decks for the other factions, as well.

I'm a bit confused as to why the new version is coming with a game board. I remember Doomtown taking up a crapload of tablespace, and Reloaded doesn't look like it'll change that significantly. I'm not sure how much utility a board would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

InShaneee posted:

The rulebook also shows that distinct card types will have their own unique borders, which is a relief after the generic cards we'd seen previously.

The first page mentions the box comes with prebuilt decks for the Law Dogs and the Sloane Gang; I'm hoping there's enough to put together decks for the other factions, as well.

I'm a bit confused as to why the new version is coming with a game board. I remember Doomtown taking up a crapload of tablespace, and Reloaded doesn't look like it'll change that significantly. I'm not sure how much utility a board would have.

The initial reports were that there would be a board for town square. Which wasn't the worst idea, honestly.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Spoilers of all revealed cards in rulebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.449499708529068.1073741832.120138318131877&type=1

Looking good so far!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I just read through this whole thread and nearly bought a couple boxes of Anachronism after the first page. I was introduced to the game because a magazine at a store I worked at had some promo with Beowulf vs Musashi Miyamoto. The game looked amazing but my group mostly made fun of the idea without ever playing a game. I picked up a ninja deck and the basic starter, holding out hope that I would find someone to play but by the time I found a weekly event, all of my cards were lost in the move.

When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to play Magic. Luckily, there was another game called Ultimate Combat. It was basically M:TG but with martial arts attacks, weapons and some mystical powers. Resources were knowledge, experience, conditioning and fighting spirit which you would tap to use attacks. So a basic kick might cost 1 experience and a colorless or something. There were also mystical talismans that you could tap for resources.

My favorite part was the existence of counter and combo cards. If you attack someone, you can only use one technique unless you have a combo card. Each one had a value that you paid that also added to the damage the final technique did. Then your opponent could use a technique to block the damage but he would have to have a combo to block our second attack. If he has a counter card, it instead let's him use a technique to just attack you back instead of defending(I might be slightly misremembering, I played this about 20 years ago).

Anyway, my dad, my brother and I played the poo poo out of that game, it was really fun. There were lots of fighting styles to mix and match. We stopped playing it for a while when we got a Sega Saturn, I think. All the cards were in a plastic bag and I remember specifically throwing that bag in the dumpster for some reason that I can not recall.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Marvel Dice Masters has proven practically impossible to track down. My booster box order finally shipped, but starter decks seemly don't exist - Big box stores don't have them, hobby shops got one or two of them per store, and any that crop up online instantly sell out (14 showed up on Amazon and were all gone within 20 minutes). Yeesh.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Morgan Cattle Co's ability seems really good.

Especially considering it looks like they've changed the economy of the game. Deeds appear to be a lot cheaper overall, particularly deeds with CPs.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Marvel Dice Masters has proven practically impossible to track down. My booster box order finally shipped, but starter decks seemly don't exist - Big box stores don't have them, hobby shops got one or two of them per store, and any that crop up online instantly sell out (14 showed up on Amazon and were all gone within 20 minutes). Yeesh.

This guy at my LGS told us each store in the area got 3 copies of a starter and 2 boxes of boosters. Apparently, you can't play the game without the components in the starter. So I'm sure it will sell out again when they get more in May. I saw a demo of it, though and it looks pretty fun. I also played the Street Fighter LCG and I really liked it, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is the Street Fighter game an LCG? I assumed it was a deckbuilding game, ala the DC game.

Also it's less that you NEED the poo poo in the starter deck and more that it just makes life a lot better. It comes with 40 dice for 8 different characters (total, not each, obviously), and booster packs only promise a single dice per character in the pack (2 characters per pack, 1 die for each) and you want at least 3 die for each of the 8 cards in your deck.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Countblanc posted:

We got like, five in this morning and they were gone when I got there at 4. It was nuts.

Street Fighter game is a deck building game as far as I'm aware.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah my bad, it's a deck builder. I guess it was based on the same system as the DC deck builder but it's better for reasons that I don't know because I never played that game.

So can you buy a poo poo load of boosters and build a deck from that? The guy at the shop made it seem like there was no way around buying a starter. I guess I'd still need the rules but I assume they are online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually realized that you couldn't, because you need generic "Power die" that come in the starter deck and probably don't come in the boosters. They'd be easily proxied (just use actual die and some sort of cheat sheet) which should work well enough until the 2nd printing gets to stores, but yeah.

There's been a few random starters showing up on amazon for normal prices, so maybe you'll be able to snag one if you keep an eye out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've gotten in about 10 games of Marvel Dice Masters by this point, and it's pretty fun! Certainly not the next coming of competitive gaming Jesus, but a decent game. I feel like I'm missing something pretty fundamental to the meta though - Everywhere I go I keep seeing people talk about Nova/Human Torch, Black Widow (ultra rare), and Green Goblin (ultra rare). Now, BW is a crazy good card that seems under costed, but we'll see. Nova/Torch is a good combination and I think is going to be the "standard" deck of the first set meta, a thing that sets the pace for matches, not really overpowered though. Goblin though, just, I dunno. He seems pretty good? I think people are sort of falling for sticker shock since he's so rare and thus seems like a terrifying "pay to win" option (like BW might be!).

What I don't see, though, is talk of Storm (Wind Rider). Her power makes your opponent reroll two fielded characters and, if they don't come up as character faces, be removed and cause 2 damage to the opponent per die removed. This can easily disrupt practically any deck that isn't just constantly bouncing their attackers into either the KO or Used pile, and is especially destructive against anyone who keeps sidekick die on the field since it's a pretty likely chance to cause a bunch of damage, remove two defenders, and put two lovely die back in your opponent's bag that they may have been trying to keep out for deck-thinning purposes. Maybe it's just a local meta thing, but I've had a lot more trouble with that card than anything else. I just feel like there's something I'm not seeing though, since no one is talking about this card.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/new-town-new-rules-deck-construction-shootouts/

Some of the new deck rules for Reloaded.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/05/27/doomtown-reloaded-player-board/

The optional "player board" included with the new version of Doomtown. The rules references on the left side are nice, but the fact it's a one player board means it's basically useless (newbies will want one for the second player, experienced players will have no use for it at all). I think a small cheat sheet a la Race for the Galaxy would have been a lot nicer.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Did anyone ever play Z-G? I just thought of it out of the blue the other day and spent my morning trying to track it down. The game had starters that were basically an action figure, some pieces of armor and cards representing those pieces as well as a small rule book. There was a red, green and blue starter which were all balanced against each other as far as I know but then you could buy boosters which gave you new equipment, personalities, special moves and even environmental hazards. It was very sci if with a Shadowrun-esque universe where corporations were a big deal but there were anarchists trying to take down the man.

This was one of the first games I ever did list building for because each different card had a point cost. The cards in the starter were middle of the road equipment and generic neutral personalities. In the boosters, you could get more expensive state of the art equipment or cheaper inferior stuff and personalities with a more defined viewpoint(more along the lines of chaotic vs lawful as far as I remember). The biggest problem with the game was it didn't seem to know who it wanted as an audience. The toys were decent if a bit clunky looking but they were designed to look cool under black light and I'm not sure that helped anything. The rules were a bit complex from what I read but allowed a lot of flexibility as far as what a player could do. The articulation of the figures was actually relevant to the game because you could change your stance and it would affect your fighter.

Overall, I can't really give this game a complete review because I never got to play it. I bought all three starters and a bunch of boosters on clearance at a Hastings but never got to actually play. I bought these only a little while after buying a mage knight starter and that was my first real war game. The ability to customize your character and prepare traps in the terrain was a new idea to me at the time and it was exciting but I don't know how well it would hold up now that I'm more experienced.

Also, looking at the figures, I wish they would have given them leg armor because big robot armor and big robot boots look pretty silly with skinny anime legs. Of course, as usual, this is one of the items that got lost during a move.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I played the demo of that game back in 2000, at the first GenCon I ever attended. I don't remember much about it, though. The mechs were called Ulsters, there were factions, the robots were all brightly colored, you moved using cards, etc.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah, I just found out the figures were actually reactive and they planned to have tournaments held under black lights.

There was an old post on BGG about trying to get it kickstarter but someone else chimed in on how the creator of the game didn't want anything to do with it. There were cool ideas but I think it's something to build off of and not just copy and paste. In fact, partly due to also reading about Shadowrun duels, I think it would work better as a die for each piece of equipment instead of the weird random matching of cards that determined damage.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jodai posted:

Yeah, I just found out the figures were actually reactive and they planned to have tournaments held under black lights.

There was an old post on BGG about trying to get it kickstarter but someone else chimed in on how the creator of the game didn't want anything to do with it. There were cool ideas but I think it's something to build off of and not just copy and paste. In fact, partly due to also reading about Shadowrun duels, I think it would work better as a die for each piece of equipment instead of the weird random matching of cards that determined damage.

Honestly, I think we're more likely to see a Flightpath version of Gundam than a revival of Z-G.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

jodai posted:

ZG was sort of interesting. The thing I remember about it was that the rules in the released figures are basically incomplete and at some point they distributed an update of the rulebook on CD. Also the designer is Mark ReinHagen, IE the man who wrote Ars Magica and Vampire The Masquerade.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Back in my student days I used to play tons of CCGs. Actually, I'd usually buy a starter of most games just to see what they were like, so I tried quite a few people have mentioned, like Mythos and Heresy (I never had a Heresy game go 3 hours though). I remember Mythos usually bringing out RPG players, though, and one incident where a mission card called "The Interesting Shop" told you that you had to "find a tome that costs you Sanity". The opponent boggled at the card and replied, "Um, you find this book and it scares the living poo poo out of you and so you think 'oh, that's neat, I'll take it home".

A few I recall that I don't think have been mentioned.

Guardians (not Star of the Guardians, just Guardians) was a rather neat fantasy game and had fantastic art and a lot of humorous cards which poked at other CCGs. (One was called "you can't see me, I'm a vampire"). The game mechanic was interesting too: you essentially played your cards into units which moved around on to small board. When two units fought, both players put their hands to one side and drew the cards from the fighting units as their combat hands. Sadly it was ruined by a couple of stupid mechanics, the most obvious being that you had to give every unit a "shield" before it could do anything, so it really sucked to be you if you didn't draw one.

Ani-Mayhem was a card game that tried to combine all the anime people liked around the time it came out. The rulebook was so badly written as to be incomprehensible and I never knew anyone to actually play it, although I did see Internet posts that it was something like Star Trek. It also had a card which made the opponent skip three turns. Naturally it sank like a stone, although some people bought masses just because of the anime theme (I have a friend who still has a recycling bin full of these cards...)

Babylon 5 has a good run around the area. I don't remember a lot about it other than that it had a voting mechanism similar to the BSG board game, and it had an intriguing system where you got to choose your starting hand instead of drawing it.

Dark Age was basically a dice based combat system with the stats on cards. It was fun for a very little while until a local player got Saint Mark, who had ridiculously powerful stats, and just destroyed everyone by virtue of those stats. There was very little else to counter with.

Kult was super obscure and based on some RPG or other I can't remember (not the Infogrames computer game). It had a strange method of handling card costs, too; you had to lay your cards out in a tarot pattern, a cross of five and then four down the side, and each card specified which slots you could play it in - so you'd often have several useful cards competing for a slot. The aim of the game was to attack through the opponent's cult (the four cards down the side), through their inner circle (the four outer cards on the cross) and destroy the cult's god (the middle of the cross). Unfortunately it was way too easy to keep sticking speed bumps in the cult area that would prevent the opponent ever moving on.

Speaking of positional games On The Edge has been briefly mentioned. It had a similar system of obstructing characters with others. As it was an early CCG it was rather magic-like but it worked well, especially in multiplayer. Unfortunately the artwork was disastrous. The last I heard of it one of the authors was asking if the fans wanted to come over to the warehouse with the unsold boxes in it and sort them into complete sets to be sold as non-collectible games..

There was also a godawful thing called Come Defend Your Planet which our FLGS owner picked up a single starter of at a trade show for a laugh..

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The more I read about Doomtown, the more super stoked I get about it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Kult was based on the RPG Kult. Go figure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

omnibobb posted:

The more I read about Doomtown, the more super stoked I get about it.

That's because it was a great game the first time around.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Jedit posted:

That's because it was a great game the first time around.

There is a review up on youtube which shows some gameplay mechanics.

I really like the randomness introduced by the card draw mechanics.

(Cause I'm bad at games)

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
PANINI America is bringing back the Score DBZ CCG! Very exciting times. I recall owning every Piccolo personality card until the World Tournament set...

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/panini-america-teasing-new-dragon-ball-z-more-at-2014-comic-con-international/

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

PANINI America is bringing back the Score DBZ CCG! Very exciting times. I recall owning every Piccolo personality card until the World Tournament set...

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/panini-america-teasing-new-dragon-ball-z-more-at-2014-comic-con-international/

Pretty excited about this, ordered a set of the Comic Con promos and I am hopefully going to have a local shop run tournaments for the game. This game was too much fun in its heyday!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Seriously excited about PanZ. I played two of the demo decks at GenCon (and have been following the news pretty closely with my friends), it was a lot of fun. It's really incredible how much they learned from the old game, down to weird esoteric stuff like when DBM told my group that the reason masteries say "styled cards" instead of "[saiyan/red/whatever] cards" is so they work with all styled cards for Sealed events. New Namekian beatball looks like a super fun archetype, though it really seems catered toward either Piccolo or Gohan (go figure). It and Orange are probably the most personality-dependent styles so far, with the latter all but demanding Goku, not to mention none of the other styles have really good drills yet and don't keep your drills around when you level up. Maybe Black will get stuff later, it historically has some good disruption drill options like Weakness Drill (gently caress that card, by the way).

The only thing that really worried me is Villainous/Heroic Energy Sphere being ultra rare. That poo poo was a staple in pretty much every deck archetype for the old game. The testers I talked to over the weekend were pretty clearly disenchanted with doing it, but Panini all but demanded the ultra rares be freestyle staple-type cards and it supposedly it was the two Spheres or Confrontation and Stare Down getting the UR treatment.

I hope someone posts a good thread when this game comes out - I abandoned my Dice Masters one pretty quick and I don't want this game to suffer the same fate. DBZ tournaments have always been fun when I go to them with a great scene (michigan crew forever), and it's a great casual game too, it just feels like there's a lot more decision making and direct interaction than a lot of other card games. I already ordered a box of packs and half a starter box, and I'm getting the least amount of product of anyone I know!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Pretty excited about this, ordered a set of the Comic Con promos and I am hopefully going to have a local shop run tournaments for the game. This game was too much fun in its heyday!

I hope they at least try to curb the insane rare=power and power creep issues the original game had. I used to play a deck with an ultra rare Android 16 (when the Cell sets were current I guess) and I remember my friend had a Picolo deck that just couldn't compete because my basic stats were just so good.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Seriously excited about PanZ. I played two of the demo decks at GenCon (and have been following the news pretty closely with my friends), it was a lot of fun. It's really incredible how much they learned from the old game, down to weird esoteric stuff like when DBM told my group that the reason masteries say "styled cards" instead of "[saiyan/red/whatever] cards" is so they work with all styled cards for Sealed events. New Namekian beatball looks like a super fun archetype, though it really seems catered toward either Piccolo or Gohan (go figure). It and Orange are probably the most personality-dependent styles so far, with the latter all but demanding Goku, not to mention none of the other styles have really good drills yet and don't keep your drills around when you level up. Maybe Black will get stuff later, it historically has some good disruption drill options like Weakness Drill (gently caress that card, by the way).

The only thing that really worried me is Villainous/Heroic Energy Sphere being ultra rare. That poo poo was a staple in pretty much every deck archetype for the old game. The testers I talked to over the weekend were pretty clearly disenchanted with doing it, but Panini all but demanded the ultra rares be freestyle staple-type cards and it supposedly it was the two Spheres or Confrontation and Stare Down getting the UR treatment.

I hope someone posts a good thread when this game comes out - I abandoned my Dice Masters one pretty quick and I don't want this game to suffer the same fate. DBZ tournaments have always been fun when I go to them with a great scene (michigan crew forever), and it's a great casual game too, it just feels like there's a lot more decision making and direct interaction than a lot of other card games. I already ordered a box of packs and half a starter box, and I'm getting the least amount of product of anyone I know!

I hope too for a thread! I really also do not like spheres as an UR as well but I can see the logic of the URs being freestyle and acessible. In the Tampa Bay area here in FL our scene was ridiculous and I even won a regional. Seriously hype and I cannot wait for the 3rd!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I hope they at least try to curb the insane rare=power and power creep issues the original game had.

I can't speak for the future, but it's clear talking to the playtesters that they agree and are doing what they can to make that happen, it's really up to Panini and this is their first TCG ever so it's very much an experiment for them.

re: local scenes, apparently there's just never been a scene out west? Like I was talking with people about events and they were pretty grim when it came to running events near the west coast because there simply wasn't interest out there during old Z for whatever reason. Michigan (two world champs and a bunch of nationals and GKI winners~) and the rest of the East Coast really dominated that game, and I'd be shocked if tournament organizers didn't consider that when planning what each con will feature major tournaments

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I assume that Score-era cards are going to be compatible with the new ones. I hope so, because Cell Namekian Ally 4 lyfe.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

So I assume that Score-era cards are going to be compatible with the new ones. I hope so, because Cell Namekian Ally 4 lyfe.

I think Aik said that if there were ever an expanded format it'd completely break unless you limited it to Android saga cards and earlier, since there was definitely notable power creep in that game. I don't see any reason the cards wouldn't work mechanically for casual games with your friends, but it'd be kinda weird maybe, especially since the Masteries were sorta cannibalized from old ones that were generally kinda second tier but cool, especially Saiyan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Countblanc posted:

I think Aik said that if there were ever an expanded format it'd completely break unless you limited it to Android saga cards and earlier, since there was definitely notable power creep in that game. I don't see any reason the cards wouldn't work mechanically for casual games with your friends, but it'd be kinda weird maybe, especially since the Masteries were sorta cannibalized from old ones that were generally kinda second tier but cool, especially Saiyan.

From the starter packs, it looks like they're already going up to the Namek saga. Any word on how they're organizing expansions? And what about the natural power creep regarding the PAT table? Any idea how they're bracketing the physical tiers?

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

The cards are technically compatible and have the same card back, but official Panini tournaments will be Panini cards only. The game is not being designed or tested with old cards and mechanics in mind (it would be a logistical nightmare to do this.) A group of players from the old game will be integrating their current meta with Panini cards at some point and will be holding tournaments for it, however those tournaments will not have official prize support or be part of an official circuit.

Panini is waiting to see how well the first set sells before organizing tournaments for next year. Conventions are the likely spot for future tournaments at this time, and based on the pre-order sales alone it seems they'll be releasing a second set and organizing a 2015 tournament circuit. The designer of the game is Aik Tongthoradol (sp?) who was one of the lead designers for the original card game after winning the world championship in 2001, he also designed other Score games, including the first reboot of Z (which was a complete disaster.) Some of the top players of the old game are also playtesters for the reboot.

The game is coming back due to a perfect storm, basically. Panini bought Score and folded the Score Entertainment division but kept Aik on staff to work on sports cards. With DBZ reaching high levels of popularity again, Panini became interested in testing the waters with their first CCG. Funimation, meanwhile, has done nothing right in a decade and wants to prove that they can promote products and regain their popularity. They gave Panini a really good deal on the license. It was really just great timing for Panini.

If anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to help answer. I'm good friends with a couple of playtesters. I can tell you right now the rules are largely unchanged, and the game will feel like it did right around Cell Saga in terms of card power. The card design has been really impressive so far, very few cards look useless or too powerful. The only complaint really is that the Ultra-rares are all staples (but they're also 6 times as common as Ultra-rares in the original game.)

If you want to just read more information about it, most of the available information can be found at "Retro DBZ CCG - Official Dragon Ball Z Card Game Discussion Group" on Facebook, or the Retro DBZ official website. Retro is the group of people who have been organizing tournaments for old Z over the last few years.

AlternateNu posted:

From the starter packs, it looks like they're already going up to the Namek saga. Any word on how they're organizing expansions? And what about the natural power creep regarding the PAT table? Any idea how they're bracketing the physical tiers?

They don't intend to release sets chronologically like they did in the old game. It's assumed that the next set may not progress in the show at all and will focus on characters that won't be in set 1 like Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Raditz, Nail, Dodoria, Zarbon, Nappa (he is getting an ally set one) and King Cold. Character power levels aren't quite the same as they were originally. Most characters are really weak at their bottom power stages, no matter how strong they are towards the top, so strong personalities are less dominating. They have not discussed whether the PAT will change in the future, but I will find you a link to the set one PAT.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 18, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
All we know about future expansions is that they aren't interested in keeping to a rigid "saga" release like they did before. My friends and I speculate the sets will kinda just lump stuff together that makes sense, and further the timeline every starter deck set. So like this set is everything up through Trunks, and so will the next set, but then the next might be everything from Trunks to Cell? Who knows.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Bam

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every set came with its staple cards, but I think the biggest problem of that game was that so many power cards and key cards for certain decks were ultra rares and promos. I realize that good ultra rares sell product, but when you can't compete because you don't have a Fatherly Advice or You're Invited or missed the wrapper redemption for Cell Saga promos, things get out of hand.

Edit: I'm also still sore at the Retro DBZ people for outright banning Supreme West Kai instead of just removing her special rule. Or would she still be so insanely powerful that a ban would still be necessary?

Which reminds me, the other thing I don't think anyone liked was that card errata would end up completely replacing the card text. Change Piccolo, the Trainer's constant combat power to be a power that must be used during combat? Fine. Completely rewrite Vegeta, Settled Down? Jesus what were you people thinking before this card went to print?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Most of my decks are GT-era cards but I have some older utility cards so that's mostly a wash. Another reboot looks like fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Retro had a lot of dumb rules. For example, I learned mid-tournament this year that You're Invited is now one per deck! Also lmao at the new Ginyu they made.

Speaking of, I really hope PanZ Ginyu is cool, and whatever new mechanics they have for allies is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The other thing I'm interested in knowing is if a card in PanZ is an identical reprint of a Score card, can I play with the older edition? The Saiyan mastery previewed is obviously not okay since it has a different title, but would Confrontation be okay?

• Locked thread