Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Daviclond posted:

Any idea how XBMC will behave in a situation where HD audio can't be bitstreamed? From the System settings menu I see it's possible to set "Number of Channels" to 5.1 (so it knows how many PCM channels to output) and disable audio passthrough, will XBMC then cope with decoding the HD audio streams and outputting 5.1 PCM over the HDMI connection? Any idea how a budget Celeron CPU will cope with the software decoding of an audio stream?

I don't know if HD codecs are different (some googling seems to suggest that at least as recently as 2013 XBMC would only pull a standard DTS signal out of a DTS-HD bitstream) but normally XBMC automatically converts audio codecs for which bitstreaming is disabled to PCM. It gets better: if you happen to be using TOSLINK or a cable that doesn't support multichannel PCM but have a receiver that supports AC3 bitstreams, XBMC will transcode the offending bitstream into AC3 and then send that along! I think a quad core budget Celeron should have absolutely no trouble with software decoding of audio streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Naffer posted:

I don't know if HD codecs are different (some googling seems to suggest that at least as recently as 2013 XBMC would only pull a standard DTS signal out of a DTS-HD bitstream) but normally XBMC automatically converts audio codecs for which bitstreaming is disabled to PCM. It gets better: if you happen to be using TOSLINK or a cable that doesn't support multichannel PCM but have a receiver that supports AC3 bitstreams, XBMC will transcode the offending bitstream into AC3 and then send that along! I think a quad core budget Celeron should have absolutely no trouble with software decoding of audio streams.

That is still true for DTS-HD if you aren't bitstreaming it so you lose some audio quality there. Dolby True HD will just get converted to PCM if you can't bitstream it. I doubt any modern CPU would have trouble decoding audio since I use an ancient Core2Duo without problems.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Any good Windows programs that will just download album art and not try to mess with my tags?

I use Album Art Downloader. Very simple to use, I have about 2000 albums artwork loaded by it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have they announced whats new in Helix?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Gotham dropped in May, should they know whats included in Helix this soon?

edit: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_v14_(Helix)_changelog

redhalo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
gently caress the new name in my Iron Sheik voice

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
So I've recently started having a weird quirk with XBMC. If I leave my HTPC for a while for some reason XBMC will take itself out of full screen. Its annoying to have to "alt+enter" every time I want to switch back over to my HTPC and watch something, and seeing the toolbar is an eyesore.Any ideas?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dale Meets Wall posted:

So I've recently started having a weird quirk with XBMC. If I leave my HTPC for a while for some reason XBMC will take itself out of full screen. Its annoying to have to "alt+enter" every time I want to switch back over to my HTPC and watch something, and seeing the toolbar is an eyesore.Any ideas?

I have seen something like this before. I think it was related to the TV being powered off and Windows forgetting what the display was and redetecting it when the TV was turned back on.

I think I fixed it by running XBMC in borderless window mode instead of fullscreen.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know if there is a means to watch Al Jazzera English in HD using XBMC? The long standing add-on is something like 360p or 480p at best. It's functional sure, but is there some sort of HD stream out there

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Doesn't World News Live have an AJE HD version? I sometimes try to load it up, but my shitastic internet can't handle anything more than a slideshow.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sputnik posted:

Doesn't World News Live have an AJE HD version? I sometimes try to load it up, but my shitastic internet can't handle anything more than a slideshow.

The highest quality one is equal to the AJE addon in the main repository. This is a 360p stream.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Is there anyway to disable the "Shutdown Menu"?

I have a script set up as a Scheduled Task to restart XBMC every night, but the method it uses to shutdown XBMC (Effectively pressing Alt-F4) causes XBMC to pop-up a Shutdown Menu with options to close XBMC, Restart PC, etc...

I'd like to remove this menu and just have XBMC shutdown when it recieves the Window Close signal.

FWIW I'm using the old Aeon Nox skin with the newest official build of XBMC.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I believe you can do that with refocus.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

StorrowS posted:

Is there anyway to disable the "Shutdown Menu"?

I have a script set up as a Scheduled Task to restart XBMC every night, but the method it uses to shutdown XBMC (Effectively pressing Alt-F4) causes XBMC to pop-up a Shutdown Menu with options to close XBMC, Restart PC, etc...

I'd like to remove this menu and just have XBMC shutdown when it recieves the Window Close signal.

FWIW I'm using the old Aeon Nox skin with the newest official build of XBMC.

You can set it up in the keymaps for a proper shutdown that works with one keypress and doesn't open the menu. http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/356-xbmc-mapping-a-shutdown-key/
Works fine for me with no hangups.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Over on the XBMC Kodi Name change wiki page I saw something I hadn't seen before

quote:

...we have an agreement with another party to change the name away from "XBMC" before 1-1-2015.

I wonder who that party was and why they cared?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They did say they couldn't fight over the XBMC name since two letters stand for a product that wasn't theirs, so maybe Microsoft.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If anyone cares, I whipped up this script to help change paths in a MySQL database if you change the name of your server or the path to your files for all or some of your media.

It might blow up your library, so don't get mad if I messed up. I don't see anything obvious I did wrong, and I did test it a bit. Backup your database.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IUG posted:

They did say they couldn't fight over the XBMC name since two letters stand for a product that wasn't theirs, so maybe Microsoft.

On the same page, they claim they haven't been contacted by Microsoft about the matter at all.

Wonder if they are working out the details to get kodi on the android and iPhone stores.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, sorry. I didn't read that link honestly. :downs:

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

IUG posted:

One of their devs said on Reddit that the legal tussle was with a company called (I think) BMC that was also involved in media, so the agreement was probably with them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Daviclond posted:

One of their devs said on Reddit that the legal tussle was with a company called (I think) BMC that was also involved in media, so the agreement was probably with them.

I didn't even think about BMC. They are an enterprise hardware company that makes a lot of software and storage platforms. Not a/v media, but storage media. But I guess I can see their point.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Maybe we can convince all the Cody's of the world to file a similar case against them.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Doesn't XBMC have a lot of German devs? Kodi sounds like something a kraut would come up with.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
A new Skin has been added to the Gotham repo

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=193222

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

XBMC 13.2 Final is out.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Hope It's not a dubble post... feel free to take a lock to this little open source program if you have to fix some tags for XBMC in your MP3 database... I love it, easy use and a good documentation.
Works with linux, MacOS and windows.

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard/Documentation/Options

Dwonload's https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XenJ posted:

Hope It's not a dubble post... feel free to take a lock to this little open source program if you have to fix some tags for XBMC in your MP3 database... I love it, easy use and a good documentation.
Works with linux, MacOS and windows.

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard/Documentation/Options

Dwonload's https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

This post Is dubble good.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Lots of good information here, thanks. I have "Blast Plus" internet/TV service with Comcast and was considering trading my 'free' SD box for an M-card plus a hdhomerun prime so I can watch HD football. ($120/yr for the HD tuner is bs)

Sounds like I'm better off getting the OTA broadcast with an antenna and forget using xbmc for live TV?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rizzo1001 posted:

Lots of good information here, thanks. I have "Blast Plus" internet/TV service with Comcast and was considering trading my 'free' SD box for an M-card plus a hdhomerun prime so I can watch HD football. ($120/yr for the HD tuner is bs)

Sounds like I'm better off getting the OTA broadcast with an antenna and forget using xbmc for live TV?

Are you running XBMC on a PC? If so use windows media center + HDhomerun prime. If you are running xbmc on an appletv or firetv then they usually dont work properly with mpeg2 anyway.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Are you running XBMC on a PC? If so use windows media center + HDhomerun prime. If you are running xbmc on an appletv or firetv then they usually dont work properly with mpeg2 anyway.

Right now I have a wdtv on one TV and a htpc running win7 on the second TV. The idea was to get a second htpc or firetv if this all worked / Comcast gives me an mcard without issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

Right now I have a wdtv on one TV and a htpc running win7 on the second TV. The idea was to get a second htpc or firetv if this all worked / Comcast gives me an mcard without issue.

If you want to watch cable tv i think you will have to use Windows media center cause of DRM poo poo but dont quote me on that. For OTA stuff you can use anything. Windows media center is honestly best. If you dont care about DVR then silicondust has an AndroidTV app out for Androidtv (which will be out later this year)

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=17417

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
WMC for DRM comes into play for cable if the CCI flag is set for "copy-once" and not "copy-freely". Comcast, is, the last I saw, setting their flag for "copy-freely" on everything except premiums (HBO and the like). It's possible that it has changed in the last six or eight months, but they used to be pretty good about not copy-once'ing everything the way that Time Warner does.

All that to say, if you've got Comcast and want to use a HDHR Prime to feed XBMC, you should be OK.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
My personal opinion, backed by long experience, is that Cablecard HTPC's just aren't worth the hassle unless you are lucky enough to have a provider that sets the copy-freely tag on the channels you want - and keeps it that way.

The problem there - and this is still the case - is that in spite of there being just a few large "national" companies in the US, like Comcast, all of them are actually collections of local franchises (particularly Comcast) and set their own policies when it comes to tagging channels. So Comcast having Copy-free in one area doesn't mean that will be the case in another.

And there's still really no good way to find out other than by visiting the various HTPC forums (like the one on AVS Forum) and searching by your zip code and seeing if others have reported success. Or buying everything, setting it up, and finding out the hard way.

Otherwise you just need to stick with WMC since it's the only setup that works with protected content in the HTPC world. There's a decent PVR addon for XBMC that works with it but overall, yeah, more trouble than it's worth. I have never, in 10 years, found a setup that I didn't have to constantly dick around with for one reason or another. My wife avoids it and uses our regular cable box output when she watches live TV.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Airplay through Airfoil stopped working because of, well, I'm not sure. I think it happened when upgrading from 13.2 RC1 to final, but going back doesn't fix it, nor does going back to 13.1 or the 14 alpha. When my laptop is sending audio through the Airfoil app XBMC just freezes, and works again as soon as I stop it.

Just upgraded Airfoil as well, no dice there. Cleared my profile and started over, still no luck.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Isn't there some addon or something that will just control IR blasters you tape to your cable box (ala slingbox and all that stuff) and pipe the end-product video output (as in, the output of the video-out of the cable box) into your front-end of choice? Kinda silly in a way but if you really want it all in one thing. That doesn't exist?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Isn't there some addon or something that will just control IR blasters you tape to your cable box (ala slingbox and all that stuff) and pipe the end-product video output (as in, the output of the video-out of the cable box) into your front-end of choice? Kinda silly in a way but if you really want it all in one thing. That doesn't exist?

Yes. It's what I use, see my long post earlier in the thread.

It's not as good as you might think.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Has anyone gotten a USB TV tuner to work with OpenELEC? I have one of these:

http://www.diamondmm.com/tvw750usb-diamond-hd-usb-tv-tuner.html

But I highly doubt it would work with OpenELEC.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Ixian posted:

Yes. It's what I use, see my long post earlier in the thread.

It's not as good as you might think.

Ah, just read it.

Ixian, I noticed you said your main use for a cable sub is HBO Go. Have you heard about the 'Nordic' work around? Maybe you should investigate.

Also, I know you know there are other, quite easy, ways to watch all those shows.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Ah, just read it.

Ixian, I noticed you said your main use for a cable sub is HBO Go. Have you heard about the 'Nordic' work around? Maybe you should investigate.

Also, I know you know there are other, quite easy, ways to watch all those shows.

I didn't know about the Nordic workaround - looked it up, VPN, pre-paid Visa card, don't know how that would work any experiences? Probably can't post publically here, I'm sure.

And yes, getting HBO shows for free is quite easy, and in some cases a lot easier, but call me a romantic, I like knowing I'm paying them for the value I get. Just wish the cable monopolies didn't have them so locked down in the US that I have to pay more than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

I didn't know about the Nordic workaround - looked it up, VPN, pre-paid Visa card, don't know how that would work any experiences? Probably can't post publically here, I'm sure.

And yes, getting HBO shows for free is quite easy, and in some cases a lot easier, but call me a romantic, I like knowing I'm paying them for the value I get. Just wish the cable monopolies didn't have them so locked down in the US that I have to pay more than them.

Pay them, and then get them the easier way.