Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Well, Goukens cl.mp wiffs 80% of the time on Rolento, great testing capcom... It wiffed after i landed an ex divekick for that matter. At least the guy wasnt expecting it to wiff when it clearly was hitting him, so we just stood there, baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anybody want to do some friendly Endless right now on Steam?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Firstborn posted:

Anybody want to do some friendly Endless right now on Steam?

I could go a few rounds starting in about fifteen minutes.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971064020/

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
9-28 against Tuna, I am exhausted.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
who wants to play me on keyboard i'm on the east coast for now http://steamcommunity.com/id/curex

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
good games bebop, I really like playing you even though you beat me so hard :(

I'll probably be up for some games later tonight to anyone who wants to play.

I recorded 1.5 hours of play w/ commentary vs. bebop using honda, ryu, and balrog cycling out. It's mostly me losing, but it might be helpful to someone somehow

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I recently picked this up on Steam and I'm trying to get better. If you wanna train together or play some casual games, I'm on steam at Verisimilidude.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm trying to learn chun-li and I think I have got the basics down, what are some practical punish combos for her? I can do c.lk x2 EX Legs into ultra 2 in a match but other than that I can't do much damage off of a punish.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

That is a hit-confirm more than a punish. For a punish you can do CR. fierce xx HK SBK, or you can do close RH xx EX legs. Both of those are pretty easy and decent.

Harder but better ones are cr. fierce xx HK legs MK legs (you do HK legs, then as it is going mash MK five times) into either:

1) cr. lk xx EX legs
2) sweep
3) cr. jab st. fierce

An alternate option that I see Infiltration use, but I find actually harder than the above is:

close RH xx HK legs WITHOUT MK LEG EXTENDER cr. jab st. fierce

EDIT: ADDED IMPORTANT THING

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 19, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

systran posted:

Harder but better ones are cr. fierce xx HK legs into either:

1) cr. lk xx EX legs
2) sweep
3) cr. jab st. fierce

An alternate option that I see Infiltration use, but I find actually harder than the above is:

close RH xx HK legs cr. jab st. fierce

And a note on how to actually do it:

I press HP with my middle finger, then slide that finger (without lifting it up) down onto HK, all the way over to LK, and then back to HK. You have to cancel into HK legs between the first and second hit of crHP, so you have to do it relatively fast but it's not nearly as daunting as it may seem.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You can piano it too, but it's probably harder to do it that way.

There are tons of different ways to do it...

I actually press my index and middle fingers together, then flex them backward so that I can slide my inner knuckles across the buttons in the order that Sarchasm said. I feel like this gives me a better surface to slide with instead of just a single finger, but it's pretty much all down to preference or whatever you can get to work for you.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Hang on a sec, does crHP can still combo into HK Spinning Bird? I just tried it in training mode and can't get it to work. LK SBK gets a knockdown, MK doesn't, but HK just won't combo at all. It seems to have an extra few frames of startup that cause the combo to drop. I know it worked in AE 2012, was this a change for Ultra?

Also, I'm open to suggestions on how to get the sweep to come out as a finisher for that combo. Even plinking I can't ever seem to get it to work.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

O poo poo I got confused, it must be LK SBK that is good now then.

The sweep is SUPER hard, probably one of the hardest if not the hardest link in the game. It's a one frame link with the longest pause in the world in the middle. I can fairly consistently do cr. lk xx EX legs as an ender, but lately I've been trying to do:

cr. fierce xx HK legs --> plink cr. RH~cr. jab --> st. fierce

This way you are going for both the sweep link and the cr. jab st fierce ender. I had it for a while where I was actually landing the sweep, but it's super hard and I don't think I ever see anyone consistently comboing into sweep

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
The sweep is really hard, but it's also important to note you need to do the MK extender for the HK Lightning legs for it to work. MK extender is the only one that gives you +7 on hit.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'll edit my post, I forgot to mention that

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

systran posted:

I'll edit my post, I forgot to mention that

Oh right. For what it's worth, if Dracula Factory is still reading and not hopelessly confused, that's just five kick inputs done during the HK legs animation. The only trick is that the fifth input has to be MK.

The way I do it is to drum my fingers once quickly from HK to LK and then double-tap MK, but that's just me being fancy. You can just mash MK for all five inputs, you have plenty of time.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I remember before Ultra dropped, there was this cool feature in AE that I don't know how to re-enable. When I would be listening to music through Foobar, whatever the program was playing would fade out during a match, and then fade back in as the match ended. I didn't know how I turned it on or whatever. Do any of you know what I'm talking about?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

bromplicated posted:

I remember before Ultra dropped, there was this cool feature in AE that I don't know how to re-enable. When I would be listening to music through Foobar, whatever the program was playing would fade out during a match, and then fade back in as the match ended. I didn't know how I turned it on or whatever. Do any of you know what I'm talking about?

The only possible thing I could think of is that you had a mic plugged in and it was adjusting the volume of everything else, because steamworks version always had the mic switched on no matter what. I had something similar before I changed the settings.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Also in case this wasn't posted yet.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This new av is awesome! Is that Lloyd from Dumb & Dumber? I can't tell.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey firstborn someone asked me on Youtube how I changed the music files on SF4, do you have a website/channel or anything I can link them to? Can I link to the file and give you credit or something? Would you rather I just don't tell them?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

systran posted:

I recorded 1.5 hours of play w/ commentary vs. bebop using honda, ryu, and balrog cycling out. It's mostly me losing, but it might be helpful to someone somehow

Upload it because my fetish is hearing other people commentating me beating them.

Which makes me really sad this dude that streams on Twitch took down the archive of him raging really hard on the verge of tears versus my Honda.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqlkW6AYcy8

:D

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

systran posted:

Hey firstborn someone asked me on Youtube how I changed the music files on SF4, do you have a website/channel or anything I can link them to? Can I link to the file and give you credit or something? Would you rather I just don't tell them?

Hey! You can link them my post about changing it if you want,or link the file. It's also been uploaded to that mod website...aemods.pbworks or whatever under the music section. Are you enjoying the new tracks? Do they fit okay?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 19, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think GAMES is a forum you can't read unless you have an SA account, so I'll just link to the file.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Jesus I dropped so much stuff as Elena. If people actually punished her stuff I don't think I'd win at all. It was also the reason I started playing weird before I switched to Rose, she's probably as frustrating to play as as she is to play against.

For reference on unsafe Elena stuff:

EX Overhead Kick is -4 on block, HP is -1. These are the only two you should really be using since they're the ones you can combo off of. You can combo with MP but it's only +3 on hit and -5 on block, and only 2 frames faster than HP. -4 for the EX is awkward to punish but definitely doable consistently. The problem is the 15 frame startup which is unreactable online and basically unreactable offline.

EX Rhino Horn (where she flies across the screen, goes through fireballs) is -3 on block and cannot hit crouching characters. If you duck it you can just do whatever you want. If you block it, 2-3f reversals are an easy punish, but consistently punishing with a 3f normal is hard and if you miss she could be mashing EX DP or something. Elena players really shouldn't ever use this move except to break focus or on reaction to fireballs. At the range she's most likely to use it (outside overhead range), you should be ducking anyway to block slide. Non-EX is 100% useless except in combos.

The breakdance move is probably the most awkward. LK is 1 hit, MK is 2 hits, HK is 4, and EX is 5. Done close enough, it's always a true blockstring, but at range some of the hits can whiff and you can try to press a button and get counterhit by the next. LK is -7, MK is -9, HK is -13 and the last hit of EX is -9, though there's often a gap between the 4th and last hit of EX. It's best to just stay crouch blocking and try to identify which one it is, then punish the last hit on block or whiff. Definitely a good idea to use training mode to practice identifying & punishing each of them, though a good Elena should almost never use these except LK since it's fastest and hardest to identify/punish and EX since it has high reward and creates a mixup with her EX overhead.

The spinkicks are her standard combo ender, but often drop in the middle due to range/crouching or since her combos are stupid hard she'll cancel into it on block after dropping a link. She can also extend them with 2 more hits though this makes it more unsafe (except LK). LK is -7, the extension is -6. MK is -7, the extension is -10. HK is -10 and the extension is -10. She should never do HK, since you can only combo into it off st.HP, which is impossible to hit with even off a focus crumple. If you're being hit crouching, theres a good chance the 2nd hit will whiff, so you can just mash whatever invincible move or ultra you want while being hit. At long distances, there's a good chance it will uncombo so just mash an invincible move or ultra. Pretty much every character can always punish it, so just go into training mode and figure out what works at what ranges.

Slide is -10 when blocked point blank, but can be neutral on block when spaced correctly. This means it's almost always unsafe, but it has a lot of blockstun so the timing is awkward. Just a matter of identifying the range and practicing the timing.

Her normal sweep is -16 on block which is worse than Ryus sweep. Most of the cast can just ultra this on block. If not, you can usually walk up and do something.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 19, 2014

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Gotta say, if you can handle playing Euro; Play Zing's (Don't know your SA name!) Hakan - It's really interesting to see someone play the character who actually uses his tools, rather than relying purely on surprise or the unfamiliarity most will have with the character. I mostly got mauled, and I need to set up some video capture on PC, but it was nice to be able to chat to someone about a character as they play, and get a feel for what they can/can't do at a given moment.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Small correction on EX Rhino Horn from previous post. If you only block the last hit at max range, it can be up to +2 on block. Basically if you block more than 1 hit, it's always -3, but it can vary from -3 to +2 if you only block the last hit, depending on range. It's still -3 most of the time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Shockeh posted:

Gotta say, if you can handle playing Euro; Play Zing's (Don't know your SA name!) Hakan - It's really interesting to see someone play the character who actually uses his tools, rather than relying purely on surprise or the unfamiliarity most will have with the character. I mostly got mauled, and I need to set up some video capture on PC, but it was nice to be able to chat to someone about a character as they play, and get a feel for what they can/can't do at a given moment.

Hakan is char unfamiliarity embodied. I have to say I like when people say he is good (he is) instead of saying he is garbo and its all their skill and fundamentals. Hakan is awesome, I just wish visually Ono would've backed off on the puns and let him have Dhalsim-like kaleidoscope of skin and hair colors.

I really hope he sees more play and more tech gets discovered. He can compete!

Edit: Japanese tier lists ranked him high in AE, I just think his gimmick and concept might be throwing people off.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 19, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Being able to cancel dashes with normals, and his normals in general are worth exploring but it's a big hassle when you have to play the Q style find-time-to-taunt minigame on top of everything else. If you're playing someone who gives you a few SPD's per round or you really know your bellyslide whiffs it's not so bad...but it's usually bad.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Giving up pressure for oil is lame, but I see more and more good Hakans... going in dry. Some great videos of Dirty Paws and E B I and stuff over at SRK.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

Shockeh posted:

GGs man, would be happy to play more some other time. Not too happy with my performance today but oh well.

Firstborn posted:

Giving up pressure for oil is lame, but I see more and more good Hakans... going in dry. Some great videos of Dirty Paws and E B I and stuff over at SRK.
In Ultra? I don't get why anyone would do that, delay wakeup ruined most everything about Hakan's vortex. Nouen (a Japanese top Hakan player) has just been oiling up 95% of the time after every knockdown, and I'm inclined to agree that's the right choice.

Ultra Hakan to me feels definitely weaker than 2012, losing stupid safejump mixups is absolutely huge against most of the cast. He's not bottom 10 material or anything but probably not top 20 either. At least he has more footsie tools now, tackle is pretty drat good along with neutral jump mp and cancelable crouching mp.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
There was a really good Hakan player on the west coast, Kimo? Keno? I don't know which.

Hakan's got some good shenanigans as well, I don't know how to play him outside of his uncrouchable bullshit that doesn't work on people who've seen it. He's on the list of characters I devote some small time to, but never expect to win with.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Does anyone have any tips for the Hugo/Poison matchup? I feel that I'm doing alright against most fireball characters, but the recovery is so stupid good on Poison that my normal methods (FADC, d.d.MK) will just get smacked by a follow-up normal. I just can't seem to find a way to convince her to do anything but throw fireballs all day long.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think Kimo is Dirty Paws. I dont mean he never oils, but he doesnt immediately try to make space when he is dry to oil up. He doesnt normally give up Oki to oil.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CaptCommy posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Hugo/Poison matchup? I feel that I'm doing alright against most fireball characters, but the recovery is so stupid good on Poison that my normal methods (FADC, d.d.MK) will just get smacked by a follow-up normal. I just can't seem to find a way to convince her to do anything but throw fireballs all day long.

If you're not already doing it you also have the option of throwing out a late jumping HP (the non-body splash version), it's got a lot of range and your options open up if she starts jumping to meet you. If the idea is to discourage fireballs you could also toss in some EX lariat/meatsquasher from about the same range as the jumping HP. It's a tough match up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

100% Save file for PC version titles and colors, even the secret titles

http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/topic/10483904/1/

quote:

All Titles (EX,EX2,EX3 & Prize Titles included)
All Icons
All Colors
Arranged BGM
Battle Voice per Character
Car Crusher Challenge
Barrel Buster Challenge

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Some pretty funny drama happening over at Excellent Adventures. They upload a new episode of them reuniting with FlashMetroid, queue tons of viewers and message board posters hating on the episode because FlashMetroid allegedly borrowed stole $7,000 from a friend and then cut all communications from said friend. It's probably the only Excellent Adventures episode that has a sizable chunk of dislikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBDI99U8h4

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

100% Save file for PC version titles and colors, even the secret titles

http://w11.zetaboards.com/SFxT_Mods/topic/10483904/1/

So this will also upload to Steamcloud no problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

KOMI posted:

Some pretty funny drama happening over at Excellent Adventures. They upload a new episode of them reuniting with FlashMetroid, queue tons of viewers and message board posters hating on the episode because FlashMetroid allegedly borrowed stole $7,000 from a friend and then cut all communications from said friend. It's probably the only Excellent Adventures episode that has a sizable chunk of dislikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBDI99U8h4

who the gently caress cares

• Locked thread