Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

internet celebrity posted:

There's a new brewery here (Wilmington Brewing Company if anyone is curious) that makes a great extra pale ale with just pils malt and crystal hops. So an American ale is definitely possible with the second runnings from a tripel.

I'm not in this camp, but I know there are hardcore west-coast hopheads who say that an IPA shouldn't have anything but base malt, MAYBE 2% Carapils or wheat for head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

more falafel please posted:

I'm not in this camp, but I know there are hardcore west-coast hopheads who say that an IPA shouldn't have anything but base malt, MAYBE 2% Carapils or wheat for head.

Super clean taste. I like the formula, even if I gently caress with it occasionally.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Just caught up on ~600 posts, haven't been brewing much this year. The apples in my orchard are looking promising though so there will be cider aplenty.

withak posted:

Are hop varieties really visibly different?

There are some differences but I don't think you could reliably ID them without being a botanist that specialized in them. I've noticed slightly different growth habits on a few of mine like the more vigorous side shoots and more distance between leaf nodes.

Here's my second year Tettnanger:

You can see a first year Nugget in the background. Should be a good harvest this year but I need to get them more room to climb next year. The poles are only about 6' right now. I trimmed back a few feet of the leading vine several times as it threatened to engulf the neighbors vehicles. Then I realized I could hook it around the base of the pole and it would grow up again. Rinse, repeat.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

20 degrees Celsius is really warm for a lager yeast. I'm not sure what the range on the one is, but it's higher than any lager yeast I've seen.

Edit: yeah, you're definitely well over the temp range for that yeast.

Yeah IMVHO lager yeast shouldn't go above 16c. 12c is good and then 16c for a diacetyl rest

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

pugnax posted:

So, if I brew a fairly big tripel (1.085ish) can I do a second sparge and make a small beer with the runnings?

This sounds like it would make a good patersbier. I had one recently that was used as a starter for a tripel and it was a great beer, easy to drink at around 2% ABV. Might do one myself as a starter for something next time I do a belgian something-or-other

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

McSpergin posted:

4.36kg pale malt
250g each carapils and caramunich

91.4% Base
5.7% caramunich 2
2.9% Carapils

So for an OG of 1.052 @ 70% efficiency, that's 4.36kg base, 270g caramunich 2 and 140g carapils. Makes a nice base beer. It's my go to recipe, a friend who works at the local brewing supply shop has this as his Sierra Nevada clone fresh wort kit base, but it's good in the regard that it will suit many different hop profiles as it provides a solid pale ale base.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

McSpergin posted:

This sounds like it would make a good patersbier. I had one recently that was used as a starter for a tripel and it was a great beer, easy to drink at around 2% ABV. Might do one myself as a starter for something next time I do a belgian something-or-other

Yeah, that was the idea actually! Interesting to do it as a starter vs from the runnings though.

I've been sort of loosely planning my brew schedule for the rest of the year and have been trying to reuse yeasts. I was thinking about trying to do a handful of high gravity beers that would make good smallbeers using the same mash. Tripel -> Patersbier, RIS -> Mild, etc.

pugnax fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 15, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All three of my entries at the county fair ribboned. Blue for both my Yorkshire Brown and my American Wheat, and a red for my Scrumpy Cider. I'd have had blue on the cider, too, I think, but one of the judges marked "too much alcohol, not enough apple taste, uncomfortable to drink". Maybe they thought it was supposed to be Crispin or something.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Not posted much lately because it'd mostly be personal beer updates and questions mostly gets answered before I get the chance. :v: However I have 15 gallons of beer to bottle today. :negative: :neckbeard: at the same time. Keg stepup will my the best day of my life sometime, but I've forced myself to learn to love bottling otherwise why the hell brew. :)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All three of my entries at the county fair ribboned. Blue for both my Yorkshire Brown and my American Wheat, and a red for my Scrumpy Cider. I'd have had blue on the cider, too, I think, but one of the judges marked "too much alcohol, not enough apple taste, uncomfortable to drink". Maybe they thought it was supposed to be Crispin or something.

That owns! I find it kind of annoying outside of the professional offical national type homebrew competitions there always seems to be that 'one judge' judging it on if he likes it or not, rather then if its the right style etc. I had a great robust porter not win once because one judge "didn't like roastyness". :negative:

I don't know what Crispin is but in England Westcountry our ciders range from very dry to sweet, best seller is medium dry, still, scrumpy, alcohol 5% - 10% can be very alcoholic (sometimes nicknamed gutrot fuel).

My favoruite :swoon: cider :swoon: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75r-UU0_nSI

Don't worry thought Mr Wiggles, getting blue on 2 beers is amazing news! Congrats!! :D
Next year I know you can get blue on cider again, hopefully the Crispin judge isn't there. :)

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Just caught up on ~600 posts, haven't been brewing much this year. The apples in my orchard are looking promising though so there will be cider aplenty.

There are some differences but I don't think you could reliably ID them without being a botanist that specialized in them. I've noticed slightly different growth habits on a few of mine like the more vigorous side shoots and more distance between leaf nodes.

Here's my second year Tettnanger:

You can see a first year Nugget in the background. Should be a good harvest this year but I need to get them more room to climb next year. The poles are only about 6' right now. I trimmed back a few feet of the leading vine several times as it threatened to engulf the neighbors vehicles. Then I realized I could hook it around the base of the pole and it would grow up again. Rinse, repeat.

:go: I need to stop putting off buying/planting hop rhizomes!!
That looks amazing Cpt.Wacky! :)

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Every pure second runnings beer I've ever had was astringent and harsh. There's a reason beyond booze-level that they gave it to peasants.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Angry Grimace posted:

Every pure second runnings beer I've ever had was astringent and harsh. There's a reason beyond booze-level that they gave it to peasants.

Sounds like high pH?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I recently had a saison from Forest and Main that had blood orange zest and was dry hopped - does anybody have any recommendations for a nice citrusy hop that would go good with a heavily zested (haven't decided, probably lemons, limes, or oranges) saison? I guess I could cheat and just dry hop with citra, but where's the fun in that?

I've come to the conclusion that a dry hopped saison is a must in my 4-tap kegerator - I can't get enough of Le Terroir and L'Brett D'or.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I recently had a saison from Forest and Main that had blood orange zest and was dry hopped - does anybody have any recommendations for a nice citrusy hop that would go good with a heavily zested (haven't decided, probably lemons, limes, or oranges) saison? I guess I could cheat and just dry hop with citra, but where's the fun in that?

Other than the obvious choices (C* hops, Simcoe, Galaxy, NZ hops, etc), I really like Ahtanum and Palisade as dry hops. Ahtanum has a great orangey character and Palisade has a fruity floral character kind of like hibiscus. I bet either of those would go great in a saison.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I did an ahtanum saison that turned out pretty well. I think I sent one to ieatsoap6 and he liked it too, so at least two goons liked the combo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Other than the obvious choices (C* hops, Simcoe, Galaxy, NZ hops, etc), I really like Ahtanum and Palisade as dry hops. Ahtanum has a great orangey character and Palisade has a fruity floral character kind of like hibiscus. I bet either of those would go great in a saison.

Seconding NZ hops. They're super citrusy and awesome. My best IPA was a mix of all NZ hops.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I bought a bunch of Citra and Amarillo early this year, so I've been making a lot of Citra/Amarillo saisons, pales, and (D)IPAs. No complaints. Right now that is a dry 4.8% saison that is dwindling far too quickly.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I've come to the conclusion that a dry hopped saison is a must in my 4-tap kegerator - I can't get enough of Le Terroir and L'Brett D'or.

The local brewery here has started a series of single-hopped pale ales. The amarillo version was definitely good and citrusy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dragon fruit is in season. Managed to get a bunch at $4 a pound at Meijer. Going to try my hand at a passion fruit dragon fruit berliner. Or maybe a dragon fruit mango berliner (I'm a little concerned mangos would make the berliner too sweet).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I've just bottled my raspberry IPA, looked like some brett was growing ontop but bottled anyway. It tastes very raspberry like, but it didn't pick up any of the redness this time, it looks pale like an IPA. :psyduck: Last time I did a raspberry beer it was deep bright pink, with the same amount of raspberries! :psyduck:

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Dragon fruit is in season. Managed to get a bunch at $4 a pound at Meijer. Going to try my hand at a passion fruit dragon fruit berliner. Or maybe a dragon fruit mango berliner (I'm a little concerned mangos would make the berliner too sweet).

This sounds great! I've yet to do a passion fruit beer!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just put a raspberry (black raspberry maybe?) sour in for a cold crash. I think it's going to be fairly pink.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

^ That sounds amazing!

Was wondering if anyone could help me wine wise. Got my first wine (white wine / summer fruits / rose petal wine) is ready to bottle. Most will be still but had specially requested some be sparkling, got the champagne bottles and champagne corks but I was wondering if its possible to get a couple sparkling from the same batch as still. Because I know I've got to stop fermention etc but would I be able to siphon off some, sugar prime the champagne, then add the Camden tablets etc for the rest of the wine and bottle like normal?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ok cool, was being told mixed things so went with that one. Good to hear it's the right one! Thanks. :)

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Has anyone here made hard cider from apples before? I got two bushels of apples from my uncles farm and ground them all up in a food processor. I didnt think far enough ahead to the pressing stage of the process and now I have a crap ton of apple mash and no good method of getting the juice out. Any ideas?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

SanitysEdge posted:

Has anyone here made hard cider from apples before? I got two bushels of apples from my uncles farm and ground them all up in a food processor. I didnt think far enough ahead to the pressing stage of the process and now I have a crap ton of apple mash and no good method of getting the juice out. Any ideas?

I use nylon mesh laundry bags for my pressing sacks. Bottle jacks are great for squeezing them if you have one and can rig something up.

If you're going to do this every year it's worth buying or renting a fruit crusher and press from your LHBS. I can't even imagine the mess and effort to crush two bushels in a food processor.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

My garage smells really loving spicy right now. :gizz:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I recently had a saison from Forest and Main that had blood orange zest and was dry hopped - does anybody have any recommendations for a nice citrusy hop that would go good with a heavily zested (haven't decided, probably lemons, limes, or oranges) saison?

I may be late the party, but cluster is pretty drat fantastic too. Made a Grapefruit saison that got all cluster that played up the citrus really nicely - about the crack the first of the Roselare (3rd gen) version.

Also: to report on something that may be of interest. A shlub in one of the homebrew clubs I float through brought a "black IPA" that I actually enjoyed - he'd said he short steeped (added at sparge) his dark grains. I was intrigued as I really, really do not like the acidity(/astringency?) which I can't not taste in just about every single stout ever made. Sure, cold steeping is an option that was always viable, but curiosity got the better of me. My stout-hungry brew-buddy and added the chocolate malt just before sparging - at first I was worried as the runnings were like that of slightly muddled dirt water, but after primary it darkened up (likely from wheat coming to rest), and finally after cracking a bottle: a simple, lightly-roasty, and VERY chocolatey stout emerged. One of the few stouts I don't mind cracking, and mid summer to boot. Nice trick.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I brewed BIAB, a 3 gallon batch, from my own ingredients Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin (including two cans of pumpkin) two weeks ago with WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast. The strain is supposed to attenuate like crazy, so I'm a little stumped.

The OG was 1.052 and appears after a few hydrometer readings this week to be stuck around 1.017'ish. I temp control at ~68F so I should be good there.

This seems to be a stuck ferment at the end. I have some dry Kölsch yeast, some US05 in a satchet, and some WLP 090 that I made extra of when I made my starter. Should I pitch some of that dry Kölsch, US05, or WLP090 to help finish it out or am I getting too anxious to crack my autumn/pumpkin beer? :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Edit: Could also try raising the temp a bit, how's about that?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2014

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

LaserWash posted:

I brewed BIAB, a 3 gallon batch, from my own ingredients Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin (including two cans of pumpkin) two weeks ago with WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast. The strain is supposed to attenuate like crazy, so I'm a little stumped.

The OG was 1.052 and appears after a few hydrometer readings this week to be stuck around 1.017'ish. I temp control at ~68F so I should be good there.

This seems to be a stuck ferment at the end. I have some dry Kölsch yeast, some US05 in a satchet, and some WLP 090 that I made extra of when I made my starter. Should I pitch some of that dry Kölsch, US05, or WLP090 to help finish it out or am I getting too anxious to crack my autumn/pumpkin beer? :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Edit: Could also try raising the temp a bit, how's about that?

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a lot of unfermentables from the pumpkin. Did you mash it or add it during the boil?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

more falafel please posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a lot of unfermentables from the pumpkin. Did you mash it or add it during the boil?

It was a mash. But I also had a hole in the bag and had to get really, really creative with the way I took the grains and pumpkin out of the boil. The OG was 1.052 when I pitched and the beer does taste pretty dry, soooooo....

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Has anyone done a rhubarb wine? I got a sudden late season donation of 5 pounds. There are a million different recipes out there but most seem to use equal parts rhubarb and sugar by weight, with 2.5-3 lbs rhubarb per gallon of water. Most also include white grape juice concentrate but I'm not sure if that adds any tanins, or just some more complex flavor and sugars.

Right now I've got the rhubarb chopped up and frozen. I'm thinking I'll add the sugar tonight and let it sit for a day or two with some k-meta and pectic enzyme to extract the juices. Then strain and squeeze the pulp and add some strong brewed black tea, water, yeast nutrient, and yeast.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Pumpkin season approaches and I plan to have a 5 gal ready for a Halloween party: this means I have at least one test 1 gal batch to do. If I'm dumping in canned gush is there any way to deal with the solids beyond treating it like a yeast cake and cold crashing, will that even work?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Pumpkin season approaches and I plan to have a 5 gal ready for a Halloween party: this means I have at least one test 1 gal batch to do. If I'm dumping in canned gush is there any way to deal with the solids beyond treating it like a yeast cake and cold crashing, will that even work?

I would also tips on brewing with pumpkin, specifically cider.

I am going to make 4 different test batches of cider: Rose Hips, Hibiscus, Rhubarb, Pumpkin.

If anyone has tips on when to add the flavor components (primary/secondary) I'd appreciate it. I know fruit should be added in primary, but I've heard spices should be added during secondary. Would I add pumpkin puree in primary?

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
I just made some rhubarb wine, but haven't bottled it yet. It was 10 lbs of rhubarb and around 8 lbs sugar. I did blend the rhubarb in my food processor first, froze it, and then added the pectin enzyme and let it sit for a day or two. Added the sugar, yeast, yeast nutrients, and some water and there it sits.

I've also made a really decent wheat beer with rhubarb, and with either product you are going to have trouble with an auto-siphon if yoh don't put the rhubarb in a bag or something.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
^^^ thank you. My initial idea was a fine mesh bag so I guess that's the way to go.

My recipe has the pumpkin and spices in during the second boil (first is 45 second is 15) so I was going to see how that turns out

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I sampled my black raspberry berliner and I think I went overboard on the fruit - it tasted and smells like raspberry fruit wine. It's only been sitting on the fruit for a month or so, there's still plenty of color in the berries.

Will letting it sit for a few months bring out the acidity some more? I didn't kill off the Lacto, but I did add some brett.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I've done two pumpkin beers in the past and both times I did a partial mash with pumpkin inside of a bag at 155 for half an hour. I chopped up the pumpkin and roasted it in the oven ahead of time to bring out some of the sweeter flavors. Worked pretty well. I also found out that homemade pumpkin ice cream with a pumpkin ale makes possibly the best float I've ever had.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm on a roll with English ales - made a very nice TT Landlord clone which my tasting crew has been very positive about. This past weekend I bottled my dry hopped Kentish ale made with 3rd gen 1469, also doing a BIAB ordinary bitter this week which will be my first usage of 1275 Thames Valley yeast; it should also be really sessionable at 3.2%.

Problem is I've been so busy doing UK ales that I missed my window to have an Oktoberfest finished in time :(

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Syrinxx posted:

I'm on a roll with English ales - made a very nice TT Landlord clone which my tasting crew has been very positive about. This past weekend I bottled my dry hopped Kentish ale made with 3rd gen 1469, also doing a BIAB ordinary bitter this week which will be my first usage of 1275 Thames Valley yeast; it should also be really sessionable at 3.2%.

Problem is I've been so busy doing UK ales that I missed my window to have an Oktoberfest finished in time :(

If you're kegging, do the quick lager method and be drinking it by mid-September: http://brulosophy.com/lager-method/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Trying to fit 6 pounds of cherries through the bung of a carboy: :butt::dong:

:staredog: