Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what's the deal with nginx vs. apache? just in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they're both webservers right???

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx is more like a http proxy that can also serve static content

the big difference is: nginx's architecture is far superior to apache prefork/worker because it's event based. it can handle tons of tcp connections even with keepalive because it multiplexes the requests and this means someone visiting your website doesnt hog up an entire process like apache

apache has an event mpm module but it sucked poo poo and mod_php will never work with it so you end up using php-fpm anyway so just use nginx (dont use php)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the way apache comes default in linux is basically totally hosed. each prefork process can only really handle one thing at a time. but it comes this way because of one reason: php

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a very difficult time doing setup on nginx/apache because it's not something i really care about. wheneever i'm doing development locally and a part of the site directs to https it times out because i dont have it set up correctly.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx is really easy to learn. it's less complex than varnish and apache isn't worth learning

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

my laptop lost the T key and the little hooks are bent out of shape so i couldn't fit the key back in

i'm just getting a new one cause lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

nginx is really easy to learn. it's less complex than varnish and apache isn't worth learning

i'm sure it's easy i just dont want to learn it i want it to work. it's like css or html

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx has a default config for port 443 u dunce

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well it doesnt work with our weird vagrant setup

our vagrant setup is supposed to install nginx and setup the configuration and it does, but then that configuration doesn't work, lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yr vagrantfile is a piece of poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't understand any of that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also unlike every other vagrant setup i've seen and used personally where you also run rails from within vagrant, we run rails outside of vagrant, but our nginx server and kafka/other services inside. which honestly makes sense because rails would be insanely slow if we ran it inside a vm. but it is an extra layer of complexity on top of everything else.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't understand any of that

its really simple

nginx has worker processes that have a single thread. each worker can handle lots of connections because they have an event loop that assigns an http request to a request handler so each request doesnt block the entire process for the duration of the request

apache comes default in prefork, it has a user definable number of processes with one thread each. each process can essentially handle 1 http request because its programmed like poo poo

u can make apache act like nginx with event mpm but why bother its still gonna SUCVK

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so do you have to run over 9000 virtual machines serving the same content to get apache to maybe work as well as nginx for certain types of site?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
nah i'm pretty sure apache will crash before then

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

so do you have to run over 9000 virtual machines serving the same content to get apache to maybe work as well as nginx for certain types of site?

in this situation you throw varnish in front of apache

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
do they call it varnish because it's like polishing a turd

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

do they call it varnish because it's like polishing a turd

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I tried this from the start but it just wouldn't autopromote a slave if the master failed. Didn't matter which machine was master. I could promote it manually if I ssh'd to the remaining machine though. HA-Lizard threw an error message along the lines of "this server isn't privileged to become master" despite it being the one selected by the pool to autopromote. couldn't find anyone with the same problem, I'm assuming it's just some really obscure edge case with the two computers I was using to test (they're old core2 HP desktop, one has a slightly newer CPU)

hey man write a shell script that pings them both constantly and if one ping fails it logs on to the other and promotes it over ssh. problem solved! and elegantly, I might add!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
reinventing the wheel ftw

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pram posted:

reinventing the wheel ftw

im disrupting the wheel transport industry with an exciting, social, cloud based service that offers 'five nines*' of reliability

*a lie

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
pram is right as usual. nginx is the easiest thing even an idiot (its me) can set it up

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I still use bespoke lighttpd installs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

im disrupting the wheel transport industry with an exciting, social, cloud based service that offers 'five nines*' of reliability

*a lie

9.9999% is 5 nines

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
[quote="CISADMIN PRIVILEGE" post="433608568"]
I have a server 2012 vm that throws a bunch of weird errors in the windows event log when the unitrends backup box tells vcenter 5.5 to take a snapshot so it can do a backup of the VM.

See below for the errors.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006849

Basically the fix seems to be to migrate the disks from MBR to GPT. The server has two drives on two separate arrays both of which are in the physical server.

It looks like I could take a bare metal backup of the server and restore it to GPT disks using the unitrends unit or I could drop the $140 for the server version o

f this partition tool http://www.disk-partition.com/compare-edition.html (server ed)

S

http://bramp.net/blog/2010/08/30/converting-mbr-to-gpt-without-deleting-your-partitions/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

anyone know a good place online that talks about programming the physics of an object with a force applied to it, taking into gravity into consideration, acceleration and deceleration in a 2D environment? nothing complex about the environment or the object needs to be taken into consideration. the object will just be a ball and when it hits something it explodes or i'll figure out how it will deflect if i ever need that. just real simple where something like a cannon would be shooting it out at any angle

did you do that kind of physics at uni or whatever? if u didn't you can't really skip some of that stuff you gotta put in the yards

that said you're looking at the easy end of the scale. high school level poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
x and y are separate just derive the components from the angle and keep a constant x and y goes up but gravity is a force that accelerates it downward [y vel = y vel - 10 every second]

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

explorer crashed when i was drag+dropping and now this won't go away. tried killing every explorer.exe but it's still here, lock+unlock doesn't fix it. is there any way to make it go away without rebooting?

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp
log out/log back in?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i would try changing the resolution to see if i could make it redraw everything but i am no expert

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

beanofan69 posted:

log out/log back in?
yeah i was trying to be super lazy and avoid this, oh well

Corla Plankun posted:

i would try changing the resolution to see if i could make it redraw everything but i am no expert
didn't work, though it did draw it off the screen at the lower res

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

turn the monitor off and go home early for the day

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know if it works on your version of Windows, but right click on the desktop, maybe you can refresh it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got 4 ram slots and 2 of them have 4gb cards and i am thinking of adding in 8gb and for that just snagging a single 8gb so is it bad to mix sizes? i mean i know it'll work but

also the book told me to put the 2x 4gb, one each in slot 1 and 3. what would be best config for 4+4+8

e: i know having 4x4 at the end of that day would be fastest but i might want to add even more later

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i got 4 ram slots and 2 of them have 4gb cards and i am thinking of adding in 8gb and for that just snagging a single 8gb so is it bad to mix sizes? i mean i know it'll work but

also the book told me to put the 2x 4gb, one each in slot 1 and 3. what would be best config for 4+4+8

e: i know having 4x4 at the end of that day would be fastest but i might want to add even more later

try not to do this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i mean just like add 2 8s now and throw away your 4s or add 2 4s and when u next need to upgrade buy a new pc

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

i mean just like add 2 8s now and throw away your 4s or add 2 4s and when u next need to upgrade buy a new pc

this is echi & the correct answer is: use for 20 years even as it crumbles

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

theadder posted:

this is echi & the correct answer is: use for 20 years even as it crumbles

in that case don;t upgrade it al all, 8gb is fine for shitposting and jerkin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

try not to do this

why? is it a bad idea or just not a good idea

i dont want to spend the money on 2x8gb cards. 2x4gb would be better i agree but significantly more money i think