Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
And so the Inclusionists are without a leader. Ironic, isn't it, that peace, in such troubled times, is the platform cast away into the wind? At times like these we must make sacrifices. Some values must be compromised. And, unless someone else wishes to rise to the occasion...

I claim, at least temporary, leadership of the Inclusionist Party. And together we will either save the empire or die trying. Do I have your support?

/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Chwoka posted:

but i HATE the army! i just want a beautiful anarchic anti-state :(
Replace Rome with terra incognita and a lot of angry natives?

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

##Join New Marians

Because the main thing right now is to reform the system of government of our fading empire, and if that means returning to republicanism and/or militarisation of Rome, welp.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GoatLord posted:

(OOC: It's really dumb for people to be arguing about what would be best for Rome here. Every option will be equally good for Rome. What matters is what that Rome looks like, and what the narrative will be like. None of the options will lead to more failure than any other.)

Basically, the party options are:

New Marians: Fightinngggggg!
Adventure Merchants: Moneyyyyyy!
Monternos: Technologyyyy!
Inclusionists: Toleranceeeee!
New Milavians: Orthodoxyyyyy!
Discordians: Freeeeedommm!/Anarchyyyyy!/also toleranceeee/A hard boiled egg!

All will be equally effective, probably.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 19, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

NewMars posted:

Unitas: Unityyyy!

Unitas are part of the Neo-Milvians.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Unitas are part of the Neo-Milvians.

Oh, sorry, my mistake.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GoatLord posted:

Oh, hey, the senate is back in session. Been a while. Probably so long that none of you know me. Maybe you knew my mother, or my grandmother? Well, grandmother died in the first sack of Constantinople and mother killed herself because of, well, let's not talk about what went on during those numerous occupations, shall we? It is clear now that my family had grown soft and complacent over the centuries. It is time the Kατσίκας family returned to it's roots, returned to the philosophy that earned my ancestor her place in the senate to begin with.

gently caress. Everything.

##Join the Discordians

(OOC: It's really dumb for people to be arguing about what would be best for Rome here. Every option will be equally good for Rome. What matters is what that Rome looks like, and what the narrative will be like. None of the options will lead to more failure than any other.)

Every option will be good for us.

This is slightly different than good for Rome. Discordians, take note.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

For the longest time my family were proud members of the Modernos party. However seeing how the current events has transpired I feel that our current situation in the empire can not be spawned with the Yoke of monarchy reigning over all the free peoples of Rome. That is why I ##Join Discordians as well as ##Form Fasces Party I urge all people who wish to see a free Rome to join us. Our party is based on the principal of Republicanism.

NewMars posted:

If discordianism is the way of the future, then let no man say that I cannot see the light. From this moment forth the New Marians are a Discordian Faction and we back a republic. Long live the Revolution, Long live the republic and Long Live the People of Rome!

Would you consider joining me in forming am at least for now, temporary Republican party?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

LordGugs posted:

For the longest time my family were proud members of the Modernos party. However seeing how the current events has transpired I feel that our current situation in the empire can not be spawned with the Yoke of monarchy reigning over all the free peoples of Rome. That is why I ##Join Discordians as well as ##Form Fasces Party I urge all people who wish to see a free Rome to join us. Our party is based on the principal of Republicanism.

Would you consider joining me in forming am at least for now, temporary Republican party?

Bit too hasty. The idea is that after a party wins, we have further votes on how that party will design the new Rome, so that's where we Republicans will make it count.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

NewMars posted:

Or the mayors and senators and patriarchs, merchant houses, charismatic peasants, skilled orators, writers and poets, all men and women, really.

Nope. It's Douxes. It's always the Douxes. You can't trust the Douxes. You stub your toe on your coffee table, check your closet, and you'll find a Doux in there giggling to himself. :colbert:

Come to that, your clothes look a little...DOUXAL, don't they?

Erwin the German posted:

History has shown that we're way better at murdering Douxes than we are at Chinese! Plus, if they're ruled by those assholes, we won't even have to feel bad about destroying their hard-earned freedom in favor of our own brand. Real point being, though, I'd rather touch off a bunch of revolts than focus on a stronger army, as I don't think that alone will pull our rear end out of the fire. It'd certainly help, but...

Eh, in purely gameplay terms revolts tend to be a little ineffective unless they're complete bullshit against any reasonably well-managed state. They might delay the onset of war for a little while, but unless there's so many rebels they outright break the entire nation it's not gonna stop them. And of course, revolts are only useful for a short while, but army bonuses last forever. That said, I will admit that under Rincewind's generalship army bonuses may well not quite be enough...(no offense, Rince!)

GunnerJ posted:

Do we have to justify spontaneous revolts choosing to rejoin Rome? Can't we just have liberation armies roving around setting up "sister republics"?

I think this is more plausible, really. Sister republics seem a lot more likely than everyone magically deciding that the sinking ship that recently completely changed its government (not a sign of strength, that!) is so wonderful it's worth dying for. And it'll be fun seeing if the Republicans are willing to live and let live or if they fall back into the old logic of empire!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

LordGugs posted:

Yes, for now, there is no need. When the vote is over and the next one begins, then is the time when we can establish new parties.

EDIT

Tomn posted:

Nope. It's Douxes. It's always the Douxes. You can't trust the Douxes. You stub your toe on your coffee table, check your closet, and you'll find a Doux in there giggling to himself. :colbert:

Come to that, your clothes look a little...DOUXAL, don't they?

...This is an officer's uniform you ham-brained shabaroon.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 19, 2014

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rincewind posted:

Every option will be good for us.

This is slightly different than good for Rome. Discordians, take note.

I kinda feel like this is in conflict with the spirit of the instructions:

quote:

One important thing: While the specific results of this are way up in the air, they will definitely be to our net benefit. There aren't any wrong answers or trap choices here. We're choosing which fun presents we want, not trying to guess which gift-wrapped box is a lego set and which one has a live snake inside.

You're running this show so whatever you say, but I get the feeling you're hinting that the red-and-black box with the golden apple on it has a snake inside.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

TheMcD posted:

Bit too hasty. The idea is that after a party wins, we have further votes on how that party will design the new Rome, so that's where we Republicans will make it count.

co-opting the righteous rising tide of discordianism. you bastards.

Chwoka fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 19, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

You're running this show so whatever you say, but I get the feeling you're hinting that the red-and-black box with the golden apple on it has a snake inside.

I feel like I have to ask - when you say "us", Rince, do you mean us, the players, or us, the Senators, or us, Rome, or what?

NewMars posted:

...This is an officer's uniform you ham-brained shabaroon.

I don't think so! Not enough red on it! Roman red! I see it all, now! A Douxal infiltrator in the Senate, sapping all the precious bodily fluids from the New Marians! No wonder we've been losing war after war! We're wise to your tricks, Doux!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I guess I should specify that I, too, think normal revolts won't do dick all against our enemies. When I say revolts, I'm holding out for modded in revolts to take the rug out from under the Chinese. That was way more viable in CK2, but not really in EU4, sadly. And with enough of those in their home provinces, too... well, one can hope.

As for a Republican political party down the line, I'd be down.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Join Adventurer Merchants I don't know about you guys, but I think it's time to leave this continent and explore. Surely the rest of the world is more stable than this mess.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, I was being a little too mysterious. I just meant that a Discordian victory is a much more significant break with tradition than the others, and what emerges on the other end might not be "Rome" as we've known it-- it might be something more radical. The "us" in that sentence meant the nation we're playing as.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tomn posted:

I feel like I have to ask - when you say "us", Rince, do you mean us, the players, or us, the Senators, or us, Rome, or what?

I don't think so! Not enough red on it! Roman red! I see it all, now! A Douxal infiltrator in the Senate, sapping all the precious bodily fluids from the New Marians! No wonder we've been losing war after war! We're wise to your tricks, Doux!

:colbert:

Sir, I implore you to stop. You are making a fool of yourself.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

While my predecessors were loyal Inclusionists, they were, bless their souls, all cut down on the streets of Constantinople. Due to a long-out-of-date tradition, their position has passed to me, a mere distant cousin. By luck of birth, here I sit, surrounded by people who were chosen equally by luck. If it was acknowledged to be luck, I might be alright with such a system, but in our arrogance the senate proclaims it deserves, has earned! its power and authority. Our Empire is kept back by ancient, backwards traditions such as these.

Our Empress deserves something better. While I do not join the cries for Republicanism, I do ##join the Discordians. We can only construct a stronger Empire by burning away the old system. We cannot continue to be an empire of kings and patricians. We must join the modern age, one dominated by empires of Mandates and Children of Heaven. Praise Hypatia the Second. Her reign must be freed from the chains holding it back.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

NewMars posted:

:colbert:

Sir, I implore you to stop. You are making a fool of yourself.

You call that red and gold? Hah! Just like a doux to mistake his feeble fashions for true Roman colors! Behold!

GAZE upon my magnificent redness! TREMBLE before my brilliant gold trim! Look upon my glorious Romanity, ye douxal, and despair!

(I'm gonna resize that portrait to something more managable once I get around to it.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tomn posted:

You call that red and gold? Hah! Just like a doux to mistake his feeble fashions for true Roman colors! Behold!

GAZE upon my magnificent redness! TREMBLE before my brilliant gold trim! Look upon my glorious Romanity, ye douxal, and despair!

(I'm gonna resize that portrait to something more managable once I get around to it.)

Do you call those garish colors a tribute to Rome? I would not fit a pig with an outfit so poorly designed.

Now, GAZE upon how a TRUE Roman dresses:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

NewMars posted:

This is incorrect; it would be more accurate to say that the Adventurer Merchant option is ARRRRRRGH SHIVER ME TIMBERS.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

NewMars posted:

Do you call those garish colors a tribute to Rome? I would not fit a pig with an outfit so poorly designed.

Now, GAZE upon how a TRUE Roman dresses:

Bah! This will get us nowhere! This deluded doux will ever think himself Roman when his clothes are as brown as the coffee table I banged my shin upon yesterday! And the rules of the Senate chambers do not allow to make proper use of my arquebus to deal with this doux as is fitting! There is only one solution!

Empress! I implore you to immediately host a fashion contest to weed out the douxes pretending to be Romans in this chamber!

(On a side note, for fun, I GISed "Doux" to see what I came up with. Apparently the most hits are for a French poultry production company. I'm not sure what this portends, but I'm sure it portends SOMETHING.)

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs
##Join the Discordians

Let's see how low this sinking ship will go

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

##Join Monternos

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Wondersaurus posted:

Let's see how low this sinking ship will go

Hopefully to a New World... maybe? :v:

##Join the Discordians

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

By the way, Rince, more seriously...

It was noted that due to the buggerup in the faction systems, Celestial Empires could core instantaneously for free. That's obviously a pretty big deal. How are you planning to handle the cores the Celestial Empires have already made on their new conquests? Simply strip them of cores on their more recently acquired provinces?

I kinda hope so, since if you do that the overextension alone could go a pretty long way towards crippling the Celestial Empires...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

By the way, even though we aren't doing the whole dictatorship thing, if anybody wants to take a crack at our save game (and the unnerfed mod), here you go.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Unitas is in favor of a puppet Emperor guided by a powerful Senate, yes. The last string of Emprerors and Empresses has been nothing less than disastrous, disaster that could have been avoided by judicious input from us. All other institutions of the Empire would remain.

We do not seek the status quo, for that burned with Constantinople. We seek a better future, something that will not happen should these mad plans for a revolutionary republic of all things go through. What happens should such a travesty be established? All our monarchist neighbors invade, put a random noble on the throne, and we're right back where we started.

Does anyone know the count? I still extend the hand of cooperation to any willing to take it...I don't think any of the established parties have an interest in being liquidated,

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 19, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Even if the very worst happens, we'll have inspired this timeline's version of les miserables. :v:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

By the way, even though we aren't doing the whole dictatorship thing, if anybody wants to take a crack at our save game (and the unnerfed mod), here you go.
Ignore me

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Stepping OOC:

I'm pretty sure that if we emulate a revolutionary republic from the 1790s...it's not France. Our situation is much more akin to Thaddeus Kosciusko's revolution in Poland as a response to it losing two thirds of its territory over the previous 30 years with almost no response from the nobility and a feeling that the Sejm was simply collaborating in Poland's demise. A dramatic last stand that if Poland was going down it was going down fighting, on its own terms, with its boots on, insert whatever other cliche you want.

Basically, more "gently caress our neighbors and the useless idiots running the country that always lose to them" and less "gently caress the useless idiots running the country" full stop.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Stepping OOC:

I'm pretty sure that if we emulate a revolutionary republic from the 1790s...it's not France. Our situation is much more akin to Thaddeus Kosciusko's revolution in Poland as a response to it losing two thirds of its territory over the previous 30 years with almost no response from the nobility and a feeling that the Sejm was simply collaborating in Poland's demise. A dramatic last stand that if Poland was going down it was going down fighting, on its own terms, with its boots on, insert whatever other cliche you want.

Basically, more "gently caress our neighbors and the useless idiots running the country that always lose to them" and less "gently caress the useless idiots running the country" full stop.

This is probably right, yes. Had I known anything about poland, I probably would have made the comparison, instead of the french revolution one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hellenic Restoration

This is Rome on Zeus

This is Rome on Jesus

Don't do Jesus. Not. Even. Once.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 19, 2014

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

(I just realised that's Arcturus Mengsk)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

LJN92 posted:

(I just realised that's Arcturus Mengsk)

So is this one, but it's concept art, not from the games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
##join the Discordians

:regd08:
It's time to disband the senate and give more power to the Black Chamber. With our agents running amok we'll destabilize the enemy governments and enure we regain our lost lands.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
##Join Discordians. Burn it all down. Rome is nothing now, let our invincible enemies rule an empire of ashes.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

ah, it's good to see that spirit again. ##join discordians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
My friends, our Empire is sick; infested with a pestilent and putrid pox , the foul and fetid fever of Feudalism!

This desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy. I propose a strong dose of gunpowder, several hundred barrels. Hidden in the Senate chambers and detonated when the Empress convenes parliment.

The Radziwiłłs have weighed down the Roman Eagle for too long. We must teach them to fly.

## Join Discordians

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 25, 2014

• Locked thread