Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I was briefly hooked on fountain pens for a while. I subscribed to Ink Nouveau, got to know Brian Goulet, and bought a Sailor 1911, Lamy Safari, TWSBI mini (in demonstrator :woop: ), and a MonteVerde. I splurged on Claire Fontane and Rhodia notebooks, and more inks than I could use before they went bad. Then I just stopped.

Writing got boring and turned into a chore, and my cursive never got any better. It still looks like Michael J Fox was writing while riding a moped with no shocks down a mountain. Now I have these pens that total about $400 or so and 5 bottles of inks with tons of persnickity fancy paper I don't use. What do I do or how do I get back to writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that it took on a little bit when I was filling so I just used a wet cloth to wipe it out (I'm not using anything crazy like Baystate Blue either, pretty much only sailor inks).

What nib do you have? I've got the stub and it's a little finnicky, I can't tell if it's minor baby bottom or just my writing angle, but it's got a pretty small sweetspot.

If you wet a paper towel and rub it all about the section before you fill, it'll help a bit.

I have the EF. It writes more like an M and the sweet spot is not that big, but when it's flowing it's flowing like a firehose.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

vigorous sodomy posted:

I was briefly hooked on fountain pens for a while. I subscribed to Ink Nouveau, got to know Brian Goulet, and bought a Sailor 1911, Lamy Safari, TWSBI mini (in demonstrator :woop: ), and a MonteVerde. I splurged on Claire Fontane and Rhodia notebooks, and more inks than I could use before they went bad. Then I just stopped.

Writing got boring and turned into a chore, and my cursive never got any better. It still looks like Michael J Fox was writing while riding a moped with no shocks down a mountain. Now I have these pens that total about $400 or so and 5 bottles of inks with tons of persnickity fancy paper I don't use. What do I do or how do I get back to writing?

Here's some ideas:

1. Pen pals/letters: have friends far away that you don't talk to often? want to start corresponding with someone in another country/continent? Handwritten letters are a great way to keep in touch (as you only have to deal with them once every month), and they feel a hell of a lot better than email. Participate in postcard and letter exchanges through sites like FPN and whatnot, and never forget to send nice handwritten birthday cards.

2. Write poo poo down: Most people try and remember stuff. Instead of that, start recording to-do lists, take notes at work/meetings, keep a pocket notebook around for when you get a good idea (you'll remember your good ideas this way). Taking notes is good even when you're doing something like reading a book, as you can write down nice poo poo that you want to remember.

3. Journal-ing: Keep a diary/journal, maybe everyday, maybe only when you go on vacation, who knows. Just find an excuse to write about your experiences/day.

4. Sketching: Find a place outside, or a picture, and just try and sketch it. Sketching is a fun activity, especially when you're kind of bored, and I find when I'm travelling it's nice to sit down for an hour or so with my pocket notebook and sketch something I find interesting.

5. Be a writer: Write poo poo. Stories, poems, articles, whatever. Some people like to write, others don't. Don't let me tell you what to do.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I tried journaling for a while, and while it was cathartic at first, it soon became a chore. I also have a very boring/lovely life and it is sometimes depressing to write about how positively droll my life is, and like I said my penmanship sucks nards. My journals read like most facebook walls :(

PenPals might be a thing to consider.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got rid of all the pens in my office except my fountain pens so that when I need to jot a note I'm not grabbing a crappy ballpoint out of habit. Maybe make it so that the only pens that are handy for you to use are your fountain pens so you're forced to use them more. If you just don't write much in general that's probably not going to help, though.

vvv edit: I kept one or two rollerballs for when my boss wanders in and needs a pen but my coworkers are just like "your pens are weird and I can't write with them" and don't even try at this point. I did have one of those moments when one of our board members snatched up my Metro at a meeting and started trying to write with the nib upside-down but he didn't do any damage at least.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 15, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You might still want to keep one ballpoint handy in case somebody needs a pen. The few times I allowed people to borrow a fountain pen before I learned my lesson, they inevitably held it upside down (with the feed on top of the nib) and pressed way too hard.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Landsknecht posted:

Here's some ideas:

1. Pen pals/letters: have friends far away that you don't talk to often? want to start corresponding with someone in another country/continent? Handwritten letters are a great way to keep in touch (as you only have to deal with them once every month), and they feel a hell of a lot better than email. Participate in postcard and letter exchanges through sites like FPN and whatnot, and never forget to send nice handwritten birthday cards.

2. Write poo poo down: Most people try and remember stuff. Instead of that, start recording to-do lists, take notes at work/meetings, keep a pocket notebook around for when you get a good idea (you'll remember your good ideas this way). Taking notes is good even when you're doing something like reading a book, as you can write down nice poo poo that you want to remember.

3. Journal-ing: Keep a diary/journal, maybe everyday, maybe only when you go on vacation, who knows. Just find an excuse to write about your experiences/day.

4. Sketching: Find a place outside, or a picture, and just try and sketch it. Sketching is a fun activity, especially when you're kind of bored, and I find when I'm travelling it's nice to sit down for an hour or so with my pocket notebook and sketch something I find interesting.

5. Be a writer: Write poo poo. Stories, poems, articles, whatever. Some people like to write, others don't. Don't let me tell you what to do.
Those are all great ideas and they DO work!

In addition, it's amazing how much life improves in general when you start developing some of those habits and using tools (such as a well made, quality planner and yes I'll pimp the Hobonichi Tetcho again here) that make it more pleasant.

Pen pals are the most fun, I'd suggest writing to some of your favorite authors, by nature they're some of the most likely to return correspondence.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
HP Lovecraft was a prolific letter writer. Oh, if only :swoon:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, this morning I decided I need to figure out some good inks :gonk:

(They were out of Heart of Darkness which is too bad)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

pffff. Come back when you need a spreadsheet to plan your order.

Edit: And seriously, make sure you use good paper/wide nib for Napalm. The sepia shading really needs both of those things to come out. Otherwise it just looks orange.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

surc posted:

So, this morning I decided I need to figure out some good inks :gonk:

(They were out of Heart of Darkness which is too bad)

Hey, I own some of those! :haw:

And like Remora said, use a wide (preferably italic) nib for those Noodler's and the J. Herbin anniversary inks. They shine when they have a chance to spread out and shade.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

Now I have these pens that total about $400 or so and 5 bottles of inks with tons of persnickity fancy paper I don't use. What do I do or how do I get back to writing?

You can always sell the FPs you're not crazy about and look for a new hobby?

Or you could take up journaling and collecting stationery while entertaining aren't really useful hobbies. FPs were a branching off point because I used to collect roller ball pens and notebooks too.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yo, I would for real be totally down with getting a Penpal chain going. They are moderately successful in some of the smaller cliques on FPN and FPGeeks and you can probably write about whatever's topically relevant (maybe if you get to know someone better you can write some more targeted things).

There's something about writing and sending out a letter the old fashioned way, and if you have some kind of social pressure (in that your penpal is waiting for your letter) then that may be what you need/want as an excuse to whip out your very fancy poo poo.

Otherwise, for your "cheaper" fountain pens I actually just carry em on me wherever I go so that I have something ready to write with for personal notes.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

vigorous sodomy posted:

I tried journaling for a while, and while it was cathartic at first, it soon became a chore. I also have a very boring/lovely life and it is sometimes depressing to write about how positively droll my life is, and like I said my penmanship sucks nards. My journals read like most facebook walls :(

Why not keep a dream diary? It's never boring when the your dead grandfather's ghost is killing the members of your family in the form of a 10-year old homeless kid because you won't help him continue his insider trading plan from beyond the grave. Or something.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

aldantefax posted:

Yo, I would for real be totally down with getting a Penpal chain going. They are moderately successful in some of the smaller cliques on FPN and FPGeeks and you can probably write about whatever's topically relevant (maybe if you get to know someone better you can write some more targeted things).

There's something about writing and sending out a letter the old fashioned way, and if you have some kind of social pressure (in that your penpal is waiting for your letter) then that may be what you need/want as an excuse to whip out your very fancy poo poo.

Otherwise, for your "cheaper" fountain pens I actually just carry em on me wherever I go so that I have something ready to write with for personal notes.

Has anyone sketched the goat man or dick butt with their fountain pens in a pen pal circle I wonder...

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Has anyone sketched the goat man or dick butt with their fountain pens in a pen pal circle I wonder...

Sketch dickbutt everyday.

I keep a sketch book where I also write a lot of stuff like words what describe ideas and such. Also, I keep a dream journal semi-religiously after having read Freud's "interpretation of dream"; thinking of it, that must have been around 10 years ago. Damnit. Quickly, is Eminem the hot new rapper that all the kids like?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Sketch dickbutt everyday.

I keep a sketch book where I also write a lot of stuff like words what describe ideas and such. Also, I keep a dream journal semi-religiously after having read Freud's "interpretation of dream"; thinking of it, that must have been around 10 years ago. Damnit. Quickly, is Eminem the hot new rapper that all the kids like?

P. suure the kids are into Riff Raff now hth

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

cobalt impurity posted:

P. suure the kids are into Riff Raff now hth

Is it already when music is a series of random screams and sudden screeching noises?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone have experience with the Lamy CP1? Is it top heavy or just plain too heavy?

When I was a kid I used to love writing with fountain pens, but it has been a long time since I've used one. I was thinking of picking one up for use with an engineering lab notebook. I really like the shape/size of the CP1. The TWSBI mini looks pretty nice, too.

I'm also interested in recommendations for some water resistant inks to sample. I like the Noodler's Warden's inks as a nod to the idea of the logbook as a permanent record, but that would just be for fun. Bad Belted Kingfisher looks nice.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

taqueso posted:

Anyone have experience with the Lamy CP1? Is it top heavy or just plain too heavy?

When I was a kid I used to love writing with fountain pens, but it has been a long time since I've used one. I was thinking of picking one up for use with an engineering lab notebook. I really like the shape/size of the CP1. The TWSBI mini looks pretty nice, too.

I'm also interested in recommendations for some water resistant inks to sample. I like the Noodler's Warden's inks as a nod to the idea of the logbook as a permanent record, but that would just be for fun. Bad Belted Kingfisher looks nice.

I had one. It's a nice pen and a solid writer, but a bit too pencil thin for my taste. With a slim cylindrical grip my hand would cramp before too long, and the fine nib writes a bit thick, but that can be said for all Lamy pens.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Does anyone here dish out for really "nice" paper? I'm usually using stuff like rhodia pads, but I always see those high end stationery sets, but I really don't know if they're that great. Are they? (Stuff like crown mill and whatnot).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Landsknecht posted:

Does anyone here dish out for really "nice" paper? I'm usually using stuff like rhodia pads, but I always see those high end stationery sets, but I really don't know if they're that great. Are they? (Stuff like crown mill and whatnot).

I have a Life Noble notebook and a couple of Kokuyo notebooks, Apica, a Mnemosyne perforated book, Midori TN notebooks, and some Tomoe River from 2013.

Let me tell you: Tomoe River is some fuckin' magic sorcery. How you get no-bleed, no-feather paper at 55g is beyond me.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I' thinking of learning Round Hand or Spencerian, though I like Round better. Do I need a flex nib, is it drastically different if I use a stub? I'm thinking about buying a nice pen to celebrate my promotion to management, but I know a lot of vintage flexies are hit or miss at my price range (<$200).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Had the option between getting a Lamy Nexx or a demonstrator Safari.

I chose the Safari. 30bux or so.
I think I'll go get that Nexx in a couple of weeks.
Alternatively, is the Pelikan Twistany good? Because that is half the price of the Nexx, or the safari.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 19, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
On a related note, would a collection of handwriting resources be helpful for the OP? It comes up every now and again in this thread, and there's definitely a connection in people's minds between "fountain pens" and "super neat and interesting handwriting". I know I'm not the only one who would like to neaten up their handwriting.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, if someone wants to write something up, I'll put it in the OP. I know gently caress all about handwriting resources.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

milpreve posted:

I' thinking of learning Round Hand or Spencerian, though I like Round better. Do I need a flex nib, is it drastically different if I use a stub? I'm thinking about buying a nice pen to celebrate my promotion to management, but I know a lot of vintage flexies are hit or miss at my price range (<$200).

If you plan on practicing calligraphy you'll probably want to use that flex in order to get the full range of width variation, but I'd say get an offset calligraphy dip pen and get a shitload of ink and dip nibs. Vintage flexies are great if you can test them out beforehand.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea unless you're a wizard with an oblique fountain pen, you're going to need to get into the world of dips for Spencerian. /r/Calligraphy has a bunch of good resources, a new guide was posted on the subject: ctrl F for "pointed" which is the term for scripts that use flex nibs. Honestly that guide is a little excessively wordy but i see no reason to contradict what he says about oblique holders etc.

As has been said in this thread before, emphatically do not start with a fountain flex. They're pretty much universally vintage, and you'll break a whole bunch of them while learning.

Alternatively, if you want to learn Italics, Gothic/Blackletter/Textura, Uncial, etc those use broad nibs, and i say buy a Pilot Parallel.

Solumin posted:

On a related note, would a collection of handwriting resources be helpful for the OP? It comes up every now and again in this thread, and there's definitely a connection in people's minds between "fountain pens" and "super neat and interesting handwriting". I know I'm not the only one who would like to neaten up their handwriting.

Without getting too much into it (since i have a murderous hangover at the moment), the canonical handwriting improvement resource in the states (and i think the whole anglosphere, maybe?) is Palmer method, which is IAMPETH's preferred no-flex cursive. First, however, i recommend looking at handwriting repair, which is basically a very quick guide to making sure the basic fundamentals (height spacing etc) of your handwriting, well, work.

I so far have not turned up a good way of making one's print handwriting effective, but so far these resources have made it much easier for me to communicate with my deaf grandmother so i'm always pretty excited about improving handwriting.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tulip posted:

Alternatively, if you want to learn Italics, Gothic/Blackletter/Textura, Uncial, etc those use broad nibs, and i say buy a Pilot Parallel.

I thought about getting a Pilot Parallel because I normally use an F or EF nib, and I'd like to see how some of my inks shade. Then I saw this video on Goulet and realized that I have no choice but to one day buy two Parallels, and that neither of them will ever see anything but Pilot Parallel inks. :smith:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

I thought about getting a Pilot Parallel because I normally use an F or EF nib, and I'd like to see how some of my inks shade. Then I saw this video on Goulet and realized that I have no choice but to one day buy two Parallels, and that neither of them will ever see anything but Pilot Parallel inks. :smith:

That's really neat! It would be really awesome for calligraphy, I guess. Not worth picking up a couple extra pens for me though.

Anyone have experience with De Atramentis inks? They've released a "Document" series that is waterproof and permanent. Seems to me they'd make a good alternative to Noodler's bulletproof inks.

Now I'm wondering how many permanent/waterproof inks I've missed on the Goulet site, since the "bulletproof" and "eternal" categories contain only Noodler's inks.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Solumin posted:

That's really neat! It would be really awesome for calligraphy, I guess. Not worth picking up a couple extra pens for me though.

Anyone have experience with De Atramentis inks? They've released a "Document" series that is waterproof and permanent. Seems to me they'd make a good alternative to Noodler's bulletproof inks.

Now I'm wondering how many permanent/waterproof inks I've missed on the Goulet site, since the "bulletproof" and "eternal" categories contain only Noodler's inks.

I believe the new to Goulet De Atramentis Document line and the Parker Quink Permanent are the only dye-based permanent inks not made by Nathan that Goulet sells. Iron gall and pigmented inks also tend to have some permanent elements, but there are downsides to those with clogging, and in the case of iron gall ink they can cause damage if you let them sit in a pen too long. The pigmented inks tend to be neat colors, though of course as Goulet no longer has a contract with Sailor they do not sell my favorite pigmented ink, Sailor Sei-boku.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

oh jeeze oh jeeze I'm so excited I don't even know which to start with, I might need a second pen to test these out in. :ohdear:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I bought like 5 or 6 samples of ink when I got my Safari and they've been doing a great job sitting in my desk unused. I'm the worst, I just like regular noodler's black :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a calligraphy dip pen? I have a couple stub nib pens and Pilot Parallels, but it'd be nice to have something I can test inks with a bit easier (and I'd like to practice my blackletter.)

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Followed the thread advice and bought a Pilot Metro (M). At first I was really happy with it, but now I after a few days I am noticing that the thing is having a really hard time starting, on pretty much every word. I am completely unable to print with it, but I am working on practicing my cursive anyway so that's not the problem. The skipping is so bad when I go back to cross my T's only have the cross gets drawn.

I am noticing that it is far worse a few sentences after first uncapping it, then it will skip really bad for a few sentences then get a little better again. I am also noticing more and more "creep" (that's the term for ink coming out the slit right?). Is my pen hosed? Am I just "doing it wrong?" Something that really stuck out to me is that when it is in a skipping mood, giving it a down-stroke will get it going for the rest of the word, so I guess I just need to train myself to cross my t's from right to left. That wont help with dotted I's or periods though, those are hopeless and I need to make a circular motion for quite a while to get ink out.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

1.) What ink are you using? 2.) Did you clean out the pen with soapy water before inking it up the first time?

Some inks don't like some pens. It's something that requires experimentation. New pens still have oils and stuff on the nib and feed from the machining they got at the factory and that has to be cleaned off first. Just use the converter to swish some water with a drop of dish soap mixed in until both goes in and comes out clear.

I'm going to put this at the top of the OP because goddamn, like 80% of the questions we get are dirty pens.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Uh, Private Reserve Velvet Black I think. I did not wash the pen before I loaded it, I will give that a shot when I get home today. Soapy water and not just water. Thanks.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is your feed loose? I had the same issue and resolved it by pushing my feed back into place. I guess it worked its way loose bouncing around in my bag. I had some pretty good nib bleed too which I attribute to the same cause. That and Noodler's.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I bought like 5 or 6 samples of ink when I got my Safari and they've been doing a great job sitting in my desk unused. I'm the worst, I just like regular noodler's black :(

You should use a glass dip pen for trying new inks, and to take your pretense to new levels.

http://www.gouletpens.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=glass+dip&Submit=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

VendoViper posted:

Uh, Private Reserve Velvet Black I think. I did not wash the pen before I loaded it, I will give that a shot when I get home today. Soapy water and not just water. Thanks.

PR is very pigment dense and likes to dry up in the nib. Flushing it again with soapy water should get it writing properly but it'll occasionally be hard to start.