Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So along with awful battery life I am noticing my 1020 runs hot from time to time. Dunno what causes it, just that it will be in my pocket for a bit, I reach in and grab it, and it's very very warm. Neither were a problem prior to the dev 8.1 update, if anyone has any ideas.

cougar cub posted:

I'm the same, battery drains at 9% per hour idle, even after disabling most of the background tasks. I have to run my 1020 in Battery Saver mode all the time to get the drain down to 3% / hour without doing anything.

Does Battery Saver show anything eating the battery in the background? If not, supposedly there are a couple of common reasons this is happening:

-An email account is stuck syncing (usually Gmail but not always)
-Bluetooth got stuck doing something (I can't remember what)

I don't know the solutions to either of these (maybe deleting + re-adding the stuck email, no idea about the bluetooth thing)

Also, have you tried doing a Hard Reset (going to the About Phone thing and hitting reset)? Back when I first installed Lumia Black, I would have my phone suddenly drain the entire battery overnight with nothing running, but a hard reset fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do either of you guys have NFC (tap+send) on? It's a pretty big drain for relatively little actual use.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I just found a setting I've not seen before, has anyone messed with it? Is this like better recognition through headsets and car head units or to help filthy foreigners?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

No I think it just allows you to invoke voice commands or Cortana without actually entering your PIN or whatever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

I find myself missing my Lumia 900 from time to time. How much stuff (app wise) still supports 7.X?

I have no idea. I don't use that many apps.
I occasionally watch some netflix on it, I have a few games but the only ones I ever play are text games from delight games for when I have to wait for the bridge to close, a tv guide and when I´m on holiday I rarely boot up Nokia Drive. Oh and Whatsapp of course. Whatsapp still updates their app. This all works at least.

I tried the awful app, but found just using the browser easier. :shrug:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Chasiubao posted:

No I think it just allows you to invoke voice commands or Cortana without actually entering your PIN or whatever.

I guess I should have called out which actual setting I meant. The unchecked one.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any apps that actually use the 8.1 voice command improvements?
When I say "What can I say" I just get suggestions for Cortana commands and 8.0 basic app commands.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
HTC One M8 with Windows Phone available today, Verizon exclusive. Also, the little embedded flowchart makes me laugh. If and only if you already use all Microsoft's services, get the Windows version; else, get the Android version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Exclusive to a single network. Worked well for all the other Windows Phones they tried it with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Exclusive to a single network. Worked well for all the other Windows Phones they tried it with.

The Windows version sells minuscule numbers compared to the globally available Android version, HTC never makes a Windows Phone again having proved Windows Phone doesn't sell (not that they're wrong).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing of note at least, technically it is the highest Spec Windows Phone on the market right now minus the camera. Sadly it is only on one carrier, why? when the M8 is on them all, who knows.

And talk about a mouth full for a name. In a time when the HTC One W8 would have fit perfectly at least for now.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Should have called it the HTC One W8

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Should have called it the HTC One W8

HTC One W8 For a Better Phone :twisted:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Did they mention anything about a UK release of the W8 or is it US-only at the moment? Not that I'll be considering getting it, sadly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

That HTC one is the first Windows Phone in years I'd be interested in buying. Too bad it's exclusive to the worst carrier on the planet.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

At least it's GSM unlocked and isn't plastered with Verizon logos all over. :shobon:

Surprisingly, there is only one Verizon logo and it's on the back.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

What's the feasibility of getting it to work on AT&T? Will you be limited to 4G and no LTE or something?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

What's the feasibility of getting it to work on AT&T? Will you be limited to 4G and no LTE or something?

Correct, Verizon LTE phones come sim unlocked.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
gently caress you win phone haters. Been on windows phone since HTC HD7 and now on my Lumia 930 (green) and its the best phone I ever did own. Seriously try it out, it's the nads!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

gently caress you win phone haters. Been on windows phone since HTC HD7 and now on my Lumia 930 (green) and its the best phone I ever did own. Seriously try it out, it's the nads!

Been on it since the Focus.

I'd love it if it weren't for all the lovely parts that just keep snowballing.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I started using WP with my HTC 8X just over a year ago. Hate to join the club but I frequently admit it's the best phone I've ever owned (used to be a die-hard android fan). People think I'm crazy but that's okay - phone owns. Even convinced a coworker to pick up a cheap one and now he's a convert. My only regret is that I didn't get a Nokia, but T-mobile didn't have a premium WP option.

I think the biggest issue is that people need to try them; it's kind of a chicken and the egg with app developers and user-base. With that said, I don't have any "must have" apps I'm missing - so I've never understood that argument personally. I know it affects some more than others, just never been an issue for me. Having office and the fantastic WP 8.1 calendar makes my life a lot easier.

Microsoft is making positive moves on many fronts (I love working with Azure)... but they really need to fire their marketing department.

PS. Not sure how many people use the PLEX app, but the newest update kicks rear end. Finally have no more gripes with getting my media on WP.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Engadget is saying that ATT will be getting the W8 (that's what I'm calling it :colbert:), but didn't release any details as to when, which makes me think it's a timed exclusivity thing for Verizon like with the 1020 and AT&T.

edit: okay, now my post makes sense

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

benitocereno posted:

I think the biggest issue is that people need to try them; it's kind of a chicken and the egg with app developers and user-base. With that said, I don't have any "must have" apps I'm missing - so I've never understood that argument personally.

To be fair it's not just "must have" apps also mobile IE won't render certain sites correctly (or at all). I have used the tested.com website as a benchmark for years on every new piece of equipment I look at (Macs, Win RT, iOS, Android, FireFox OS, Ubuntu, Windows PCs/Tablets, Chromebooks) and Win 8/7 were the only devices that could not load the sites acceptable at all. I even used the 1520 with the snapdragon 800. As a web dev I know this issue is 100% the fault of the tested.com website but as a user I also knew:

1. I like reading that site on a phone and would not be able to
2. I would likely run into other serious issues that rendered sites/web apps useless as the very first one failed to load.

Having 2.5% marketshare and falling is an issue as mobile sites are still often a secondary concern anyway. I work in enterprise and the question of mobile optimizing is just now starting* to come up and often they only optimize to iPhone. As an android user that not really a problem as the render is webkit + you can install any other browser you want. On WP if it doesn't work in IE you're screwed.

All that said the HTC W8 looks pretty fantastic but I'm too deep into the Google Ecosystem to really jump.

* Yes really. Some enterprises have jumped on mobile formatted websites, but still many have not.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That's why 8.1 Update 1 changes the IE11 user agent to fool bad sites into thinking it's iOS or Android. This is the terrible world in which we live.

Oh well.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yep - pretty sad. I understand why (some) developers like the convergence because it makes life easy, but it's good to have competition. I like IE11, but the change is probably for the best I guess. It's also interesting that companies still work to implement iPhone specific sites when Android almost always carries more traffic (you think they'd make "data driven decisions").

Not sure how I feel about the HTC W8 - looks nice, but I'm uncertain they'll provide the support that Nokia will. Guess time will tell; I really want a new version of the 1520.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Engadget is saying that ATT will be getting the W8 (that's what I'm calling it :colbert:), but didn't release any details as to when, which makes me think it's a timed exclusivity thing for Verizon like with the 1020 and AT&T.

edit: okay, now my post makes sense

The fact that this website already exists is at least heartening.

http://www.att.com/cellphones/htc/one-m8-windows.html

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Been on it since the Focus.

I'd love it if it weren't for all the lovely parts that just keep snowballing.

Same. I love my 1020, but for every step forward (Notification Center) they take a huge step back (Music). I know they've fixed a lot of the performance issues with Music, but going from a Zune Pass with WP7 to Xbox Music Subscription on WP8.1 is just an absolute trainwreck.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

benitocereno posted:

Yep - pretty sad. I understand why (some) developers like the convergence because it makes life easy, but it's good to have competition. I like IE11, but the change is probably for the best I guess. It's also interesting that companies still work to implement iPhone specific sites when Android almost always carries more traffic (you think they'd make "data driven decisions").

Not sure how I feel about the HTC W8 - looks nice, but I'm uncertain they'll provide the support that Nokia will. Guess time will tell; I really want a new version of the 1520.

Yeah, the mobile market is kinda crap.
Developers prefer iPhone due to easier standards and most having an iPhone themselves.
Meanwhile 70% of the population has Android ensuring that it is hard for competition to gain a foothold.
It's either go with google or pay extra for the brand and get an iPhone. :shrug:

I would love the HTC phone, but I think that I would miss the camera button too much. It's my most used function. The moment my hand goes in my pocket I push the camera button ensuring that the camera app is ready to go by the time I've leveled it.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I'm using a NL 1520 on WP 8.1 U1 developer preview and got an update. Does that mean they fixed the bit locker bug and I'm on cyan?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Here's a nice thing to say about the WP dev experience: the store publishing process is much faster than it used to be. Last night my app was certified in about a half hour, not including the lag for the store page to actually show up. That's pretty good, that's one part of this which I'm not mad at all about!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Here's a nice thing to say about the WP dev experience: the store publishing process is much faster than it used to be. Last night my app was certified in about a half hour, not including the lag for the store page to actually show up. That's pretty good, that's one part of this which I'm not mad at all about!

Yes WP and Win Store review time has been under an hour (if lucky) for about a year now. It's really nice and appreciated.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Yes WP and Win Store review time has been under an hour (if lucky) for about a year now. It's really nice and appreciated.

Because it's all automated. It just makes sure it compiles and has all the correct assets included.

If anyone questions why "fake" apps make it on to the store, this is most likely the reason. Unless reported, no one is actively checking before it's added.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My Rogers 920 finally has Cyan. To my dismay, Cortana is gone. I guess it's because :canada:

Definitely going to update to the next developer preview, then.

EDIT: Turns out, it's because I inadvertently set my region to Canada. I couldn't find which region setting to change so that Cortana would work so I used the Nokia recovery tool to reset the phone and set the region to USA. :fsmug: My condolences to Canada.

The recovery system actually works really nicely. Just being able to restore all my apps automatically is really convenient.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 21, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I need a few stupidbrave folks who want to try out a beta of my music app to PM me. Here's what I'm looking for:

• You have "your own collection" of music files, and you're willing & able to upload some/all of them to Onedrive (also acceptable: your music library is already in Onedrive. If you're signed in to Windows 8 and keep your music files in the default library, this may already be the case)
  • You're running 8.1 (dev preview is fine, cyan not required, 8.1 Update 1 not required)
  • You have tolerance for limited features, limited support, and prefer to share your thoughts rather than just sit around silently disappointed (given that we're Windows Phone users.... everyone probably qualifies on this point).
  • You're interested in having access to your own collection, but you bought an 8GB phone and there's not enough space.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has an HTC 8X, one of the new larger Nokia phones, or a low end 520/521.

Anyway: PM if interested. Only need like 5 people.

E: I'll need your main Microsoft account username (which is an email address) that you're signed in to your phone with, so PM me that.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 21, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Because it's all automated. It just makes sure it compiles and has all the correct assets included.

If anyone questions why "fake" apps make it on to the store, this is most likely the reason. Unless reported, no one is actively checking before it's added.

Nope unless something has drastically changed they actually do reviews. They just have people ready 24/7 who start the review immediately and work through it very quickly. They have rejected my apps (in under an hour) that were very obviously reviewed by a human.

Google Play is 100% automated Win Phone/Store is just fast because they staffed up and then aren't getting enough submissions. They specifically called it out as increasing the speed of approval by 70 times due to staffing, training and procedures.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Stick100 posted:

Nope unless something has drastically changed they actually do reviews.

I think there's also a difference between Phone and Windows.

Fun aside: my app has a companion webservice. I made my webservice log the IP address each time the app speaks to it. Once I submitted the store, I detected an IP address from Beijing using the app numerous times over a three hour period. That must have been the certification person! I felt slimy about how much I can learn just by logging IP addresses...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Nope unless something has drastically changed they actually do reviews. They just have people ready 24/7 who start the review immediately and work through it very quickly. They have rejected my apps (in under an hour) that were very obviously reviewed by a human.

Google Play is 100% automated Win Phone/Store is just fast because they staffed up and then aren't getting enough submissions. They specifically called it out as increasing the speed of approval by 70 times due to staffing, training and procedures.

From this article

quote:

At the Build conference Todd Brix, the general manager in charge of apps and stores for Microsoft, talked about making certification for Windows Phone apps faster by using automation for testing: "Instead of taking several days an app can take as little as two to four hours in certification," he said.

If a real tester does look at it, they don't do nearly the same amount of work that they did before. I can only speak for my apps, but for my social media ones, where I would see their testers post (gibberish) messages and change the test users profile, they never even log in anymore. For my SA ones, they got my test account banned by spamming GBS (When I specifically told them to only post in one thread that I controlled). The next time I needed to submit, we got the mods to get that account on infinite probation so it could log in. Even thought it could not post, which they did do the previous two times, this time they did not care and it still passed.

I mean, I am fine with making the process faster. When I first started submitting apps it could take upwards of a week, which was hell if it failed. But at least it felt like they actually tested it. Now if I submit something, it usually takes less than a half hour to get it passed. The max is usually three. If a human is seeing this, I don't think they are doing much except for mashing buttons and making sure it compiled. They only time I had an app fail submission was when a test failure occurred that the visual studio automated testing caught, and I did not see. :shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been using OverDrive to check out ebooks from the local library but the built in reader is FUBAR. Are there any readers that will work with DRM epub books checked out with Overdrive?

LyriumLove
Dec 8, 2013
I have the Lumia 920 and bloody hell do I hate it. I've always hated Windows 8 and the tiles. This phone is one of the worst I have ever had. The way it coordinates with Spotify is probably the worst. That could be the new Spotify app but I think it's the way it works on the Windows phones. I don't have a problem with battery life. But I can't wait to get rid of this thing and find something I can use and enjoy. I've essentially quit using social media, so I may go back to a drat flip phone.

For someone who is technology mad, this is probably a good phone. It's just overkill for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

LyriumLove posted:

I have the Lumia 920 and bloody hell do I hate it. I've always hated Windows 8 and the tiles. This phone is one of the worst I have ever had. The way it coordinates with Spotify is probably the worst. That could be the new Spotify app but I think it's the way it works on the Windows phones. I don't have a problem with battery life. But I can't wait to get rid of this thing and find something I can use and enjoy. I've essentially quit using social media, so I may go back to a drat flip phone.

For someone who is technology mad, this is probably a good phone. It's just overkill for me.

Sorry bro but windows phone, prior to Facebook integration removal in 8.1, is the easiest for social media.