Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Thank you for this. I'm really glad you made it out okay and I know we all appreciate you documenting this terrible situation immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
There were a few other goons out there tonight, right? One making a documentary and a few locals? Did everyone make it out ok?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Arkane posted:

His legislative attempts to lessen the war of drugs would certainly create a climate where Ferguson is at least less likely to happen.

Bernie Sanders and Rand Paul are actually a lot alike, except for their opinion on the size of government and what government's role in our life should be.

The War On Drugs, the War On Terror, police militarization are all only tangential to what happened to Mike Brown. https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/08/itemizing-atrocity/

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

slogula posted:

I go away for 8 hours and 2100 posts. What the holy gently caress happened??? AJE reports "police accelerated their own crowd control efforts." I'm assuming this is euphemism?

No one bothering to tell you the cops and media were shot at is pretty funny. Might have something to do with how the last few hours have shaped up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat duckberg its a good thing you got down as you soon as you did. That poo poo sounds rough as gently caress stay safe dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

slogula posted:

I'm trying to get caught up. It's looking like the cops abandoned restraint, correct? "No curfew" means curfew all the time?

Was this corroborated? Did anyone die?

According to Captain Johnson two people were taken to the hospital. He made sure to point out how quickly those protesting against the police were asking for the help of police after a little old bullet wound.

The regular bullets being used appear to have not come from the police but people in the protesting crowds.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Untagged posted:

No one bothering to tell you the cops and media were shot at is pretty funny. Might have something to do with how the last few hours have shaped up.

man you're the best

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Untagged posted:

This isn't true that it hasn't been covered and it seems that this thread is willing to accept that elements of the protesters are not entirely peaceful themselves.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

This isn't true that it hasn't been covered and it seems that this thread is willing to accept that elements the protesters are not entirely peaceful themselves.

Also he completely hosed up the order of events, as cops started firing tear gas and rubber bullets before any shots were fired from agitators.

But obviously the police had received a message from the future telling them what was about to transpire.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

cravius posted:

Its not crips and bloods, its three crips but whatever floats yalls boat

If you have backing evidence against that PLEASE provide it, thats kinda the whole point of the thread I thought.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

420DD Butts posted:

Also he completely hosed up the order of events, as cops started firing tear gas and rubber bullets before any shots were fired from agitators.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but the timeline between shots and loving GAS AND SHOOT EVERYBODY seems really vague right now. I believe I remember Tim Pool saying he heard shots first before everything went to poo poo.

cravius posted:

Do you contribute anything other than grading troll posts?

Better than taking them too seriously

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Lessail posted:

man you're the best

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

420DD Butts posted:

But obviously the police had received a message from the future telling them what was about to transpire.
the police plant that was suppose to fire blank shots from the crowd got caught in traffic.

cravius posted:

Its not crips and bloods, its three crips but whatever floats yalls boat
Really not sure if a Crip would wear rival gang colors like that, but it's not hard to believe that both would join forces against the police like the LA riots.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

If you have backing evidence against that PLEASE provide it, thats kinda the whole point of the thread I thought.

Orange is another crip color not a blood color.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

SectumSempra posted:

A black man is wearing a colored bandana.

Therefore he is in a gang.

This checks out.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Rollofthedice posted:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but the timeline between shots and loving GAS AND SHOOT EVERYBODY seems really vague right now. I believe I remember Tim Pool saying he heard shots first before everything went to poo poo.

Police were firing tear gas well before this phase of "shoot at anything that moves". Even before the press got relocated and told to wait for a press conference that seems more and more like a distraction to make sure they're not getting the real story in the place they just walked away from.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cravius posted:

Grading posts that grade troll posts. Shameful.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

cravius posted:

so they are troll posts?

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Rollofthedice posted:

This is also true. If you watch Neo Duckberg's video it seems that the shots being fired and the gassing happened somewhat simultaneously but it's definitely hard to say for certain.

However, that's not to say that previous police actions in the evening didn't serve to agitate the demonstrators as they heavily used LRAD and were very controlling.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rollofthedice posted:

They were shooting tear gas and breaking up the protest before the shots, the video even shows it. If you don't want things to escalate out of control maybe you shouldn't... um, well, escalate the situation?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Grading posts that grade troll posts. Shameful.

I give this post a B-

However, that's not to say that previous police actions in the evening didn't serve to agitate the demonstrators as they heavily used LRAD and were very controlling.

Totally, absolutely agree.

For the record I'm just saying that the VICE stream was chaotic enough that I had a tough time telling when things had begun and ended in reaction to what.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rollofthedice posted:

Tim was surrounded by tear gas on his stream before live rounds were shot at the police and had to run through tear gas after the press cluster he was with hit the ground. Earlier before that he was hit in the leg by what was likely a ricocheting rubber slug.

Not saying that there aren't a few utter nutcases in the crowds, and I doubt any of the nutcases are actual locals, but the cops definitely started the party tonight.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is also true. If you watch Neo Duckberg's video it seems that the shots being fired and the gassing happened somewhat simultaneously but it's definitely hard to say for certain.

They were bound to start getting aggressive once it was clear they wanted the press gathered up in a nice little ball of bored and disinterested young staffers, until the tv stars got tired and went back to their hotels leaving the staff to wait at the FREEDOM ZONE.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Nevermind that Paul will just about blow off a dog for a donation.

I mean this is an absolutely idiotic criticism considering who his likely Democratic opponent would be in a hypothetical match-up. She's touring the country looking for whomever will pay her the most money. Meanwhile Rand is down in Guatamala performing free eye surgeries on the poorest people on the planet.

I'll stop posting about it after this post....but on this issue (situations like Ferguson), Rand Paul (and other Republicans in the libertarian wing) have been strident: end the war on drugs, stop racial profiling, and de-militarize the police. This has been a vocal issue for him and a legislative one to boot. This issue and related ones are super important to me and I think should be to everyone. It dovetails right into the NSA and surveillance, the vast crackdown on freedom of the press by the US government...basically, a burgeoning centralized power that was the exact antithesis of what the Constitution was trying to ensure. And it's not conspricy theory territory, James Risen a few days ago in the New York Times said that the Obama administration was the biggest enemy of the free press in a generation. Hillary is going to simply be an extension of Obama, and if her stance on Syria is any indication, an even more hawkish extension of Obama. That means more chance of war, drone strikes, bigger NSA, more militarized police (it's the DoD that is doing it, controlled by the Executive branch). Basically everything you hate. But because Rand said some dumb quote at some point or that Aqua Babba bullshit from college or you're stupid enough to think he wants to "PRIVATIZE EVERYTHING" the vast majority of the people reading this post (maybe not you, but the vast majority) are going to pull that lever for Hillary and we'll all be right back here posting about it 4 years from now, "welp I didn't think she'd be that bad, Bill was a great President." It's all super predictable.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Intercept's Field reporter in Ferguson got detained https://twitter.com/the_intercept/status/501626595384512512 I love Rand Pauls stand on militarized police and anti intervention in general just wish he wasn't such a horrible poo poo bag about other stuff.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
gently caress Duckberg I'm glad you're ok. Thanks for posting!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Link to that Fox Reporter getting arrested?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Arkane posted:

Man people are just legit furious that Rand Paul had the strongest statement on these events. Sorry that your political idols are cool with the status quo and/or too concerned with their own political capital that they're too cowardly to speak out.

"I have never argued against any technology being used against having an imminent threat, [or] an act of crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -Rand Paul

Please, please try to reconcile this with your idea that Rand Paul is somehow not in favor of summarily executing criminals on the street. Or are you going to ignore it again? I'm not the first to quote The Great White Savior himself to you.

I am delighted that Rand Paul is, for once, actually aligning with people who want the world to be less terrible. It is disconcerting to agree with him but I could not be happier to have an issue where both sides of the aisle have something they want in sight that can actually help regular Americans. It's the first time in years I have actually held ANY hope for anything in this country getting any better. I really don't care what letter he has by his name, the fact that he has publicly supported summarily executing people for robbery, skipping due process entirely is why he is a wretched and evil human being. But, frankly, if he says "Police Militarization is bad" and actually runs with it, awesome.

You dumb piece of poo poo.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 19, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also journalists not on television appear to be paid absolute dog poo poo and aren't at all supported by their news orgs for being in STL if they're waiting around for a conference that probably won't happen because none of them can sleep anywhere or have anywhere to go.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Arkane posted:

I mean this is an absolutely idiotic criticism considering who his likely Democratic opponent would be in a hypothetical match-up. She's touring the country looking for whomever will pay her the most money. Meanwhile Rand is down in Guatamala performing free eye surgeries on the poorest people on the planet.

I'll stop posting about it after this post....but on this issue (situations like Ferguson), Rand Paul (and other Republicans in the libertarian wing) have been strident: end the war on drugs, stop racial profiling, and de-militarize the police. This has been a vocal issue for him and a legislative one to boot. This issue and related ones are super important to me and I think should be to everyone. It dovetails right into the NSA and surveillance, the vast crackdown on freedom of the press by the US government...basically, a burgeoning centralized power that was the exact antithesis of what the Constitution was trying to ensure. And it's not conspricy theory territory, James Risen a few days ago in the New York Times said that the Obama administration was the biggest enemy of the free press in a generation. Hillary is going to simply be an extension of Obama, and if her stance on Syria is any indication, an even more hawkish extension of Obama. That means more chance of war, drone strikes, bigger NSA, more militarized police (it's the DoD that is doing it, controlled by the Executive branch). Basically everything you hate. But because Rand said some dumb quote at some point or that Aqua Babba bullshit from college or you're stupid enough to think he wants to "PRIVATIZE EVERYTHING" the vast majority of the people reading this post (maybe not you, but the vast majority) are going to pull that lever for Hillary and we'll all be right back here posting about it 4 years from now, "welp I didn't think she'd be that bad, Bill was a great President." It's all super predictable.

you're super predictable yourself

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Who gives a poo poo about Rand Paul?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rand Paul doesn't care about black people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Dear Arkane,
You are retarded as gently caress and a bitch. Stfu.

gregday
May 23, 2003

FFS can this thread please not be about rand paul

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I want to see more people getting gassed and less Rand Paul/Hillary circle jerking.

Are the police still hunting people down?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Widestancer posted:

I want to see more people getting gassed and less Rand Paul/Hillary circle jerking.

The fact that nothing's happened in like 45 minutes is kinda spooky. Either everyone got chased out or no one's able to livetweet?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

has anyone come forward backing up the shooting officer's account of incident, besides the friend of the friend on the radio station?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

Really not sure if a Crip would wear rival gang colors like that, but it's not hard to believe that both would join forces against the police like the LA riots.

Orange is a crip color not a blood color

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

pillsburysoldier posted:

has anyone come forward backing up the shooting officer's account of incident, besides the friend of the friend on the radio station?

Yes, a friend of the police officer

e: gently caress your quick edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Widestancer posted:

I'm not seeing much on Twitter. Either it quieted down or everyone's being gassed so much their tear ducts are exploding

• Locked thread