Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Tried Asher?

Thanks for the tip, I never actually read Neal Asher. Time to try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps also has ancient largely autonomous spaceships, some of which are completely AI-run, and might be a bit crazy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kellanved posted:

Just had a brainfart on how the Honor books could get interesting again. Kill off her entire family or something so she goes completely bonkers and flies away with her fleet after bombing manticore/sol/some planet. And then switch pov and deal with the fallout, hunting down and fighting against the unstoppable Honor Harrington and the fleet she stole.

Bonus points if she doesn't lose any of her combat abilities. So yeah, the whole fallen hero thing - as long as it isn't done half assed (read: redemption) it would be interesting to read. He missed the point where he could kill her by a few books now.

Brandon Sanderson already did something similar and probably better than Weber in Firstborn

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tanith posted:

Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps also has ancient largely autonomous spaceships, some of which are completely AI-run, and might be a bit crazy.

Wait, poo poo, there's Glen Cook that I haven't read?

I need to fix this.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I was a dumb nerd and read Wright's The Golden Age, and I was foolish enough to think the Libertarian BS in that was just some sort of unreliable narrator type device to show the privilege and naiveté of the protagonist. I'm now in the second book, and I'm at the stage where the protagonist is being set up as a benevolent Jobs Creator, while taking a moment every three pages to poo poo on poor people, who are portrayed as lazy and drug-addled. Does Phoenix Exultant eventually get back to the inter-faction intrigue or is it doomed to 200 pages of Going Galt?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The second book is the most Randian of the trilogy, but it's not like the third one is a lot better than the first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Welsper posted:

So I was a dumb nerd and read Wright's The Golden Age, and I was foolish enough to think the Libertarian BS in that was just some sort of unreliable narrator type device to show the privilege and naiveté of the protagonist. I'm now in the second book, and I'm at the stage where the protagonist is being set up as a benevolent Jobs Creator, while taking a moment every three pages to poo poo on poor people, who are portrayed as lazy and drug-addled. Does Phoenix Exultant eventually get back to the inter-faction intrigue or is it doomed to 200 pages of Going Galt?

It gets worse, if that's possible. I actually like that trilogy despite that just because it's really imaginatively written, but it's propaganda more extreme than anything of Heinlein's. Maybe libertarians are good at imagining fantastic, unreal worlds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Libluini posted:

Personally, I fear Weber has written Henke into a corner. With the latest plot development I read, it looks he can either kill her off to show how dangerous the Mesan Alignment is, or he lets her decapitate the central enemy of this arc prematurely. At which point he can pretty much stop writing Honor Harrington books, since there is no real enemy left.

Or we can expect more books with thousands of Solarian ships burning in the night, I guess.

I figure Talbott is Space Philippines which would make Henke Space Macarthur.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just finished Consider Phlebas, my first Banks book. I liked a lot of parts of it but absolutely hated the ending. I should probably check out other Culture books, though.

My favorite scene in it was on the Orbital where Horza murders the Culture ship's AI although the part right before that was really really bizarre.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Consider Phlebas is widely considered a poor introduction to the Culture series so yes, definitely pick up something like Player of Games next. Use of Weapons is the best but it's even better if you have some Culture under your belt so you can appreciate it. Or just read it again after reading more Culture.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Antti posted:

Consider Phlebas is widely considered a poor introduction to the Culture series so yes, definitely pick up something like Player of Games next. Use of Weapons is the best but it's even better if you have some Culture under your belt so you can appreciate it. Or just read it again after reading more Culture.

Use of Weapons is actually very little about The Culture. For me it is hardly the best Culture novel by Banks, instead my favorite Culture Novel is still Look to Windward.
Other good culture novels are Excession, Matter and Hydrogen Sonata, since they focus more on the Culture.

Also, gently caress cancer.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I read Player of Games a while back and didn't think it was all that great, but I don't remember why.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Use of Weapons is actually very little about The Culture. For me it is hardly the best Culture novel by Banks, instead my favorite Culture Novel is still Look to Windward.
Other good culture novels are Excession, Matter and Hydrogen Sonata, since they focus more on the Culture.

Also, gently caress cancer.

I don't remember much about Matter except the head-mounted nuke (that's from Matter, right?) and thought it was kind of weak. I've only read that, Consider Phlebas, and Use of Weapons, though; Use of Weapons was easily my favorite and I quite liked it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I think the whole point of Player of Games being a good introduction to the Culture is because so much of it is about comparing it to the Azadians.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I always thought Excession would make a good intro-to-the-culture book, considering how much it deals with the Minds and the way the Culture behaves as a whole.

I mean yeah it would get more confusing than Player of Games, but it should be fine for SF/F readers that are used to getting dumped into the deep end of a setting

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I got lost with Excession and it was the 4th or 5th Culture novel I read. :v:

I found it really difficult to keep track of the discussing Minds for some reason.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I had a notepad page where I wrote down which Minds were on which mailing lists...

...mebbe this is indeed not the right place to start

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Excession is my favourite Culture novel and I should probably reread it this fall.

Speaking of excellent SF, I just finished my Cherryh binge: Heavy Time, Hellburner, Rimrunners, Cuckoo's Egg, and the Faded Sun trilogy. This is your weekly reminder: Cherryh owns, read her books.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

Excession is my favourite Culture novel and I should probably reread it this fall.

Speaking of excellent SF, I just finished my Cherryh binge: Heavy Time, Hellburner, Rimrunners, Cuckoo's Egg, and the Faded Sun trilogy. This is your weekly reminder: Cherryh owns, read her books.

I just started reading something by her for the first time ever, Downbelow Station, and it's just the most unbelievable slog. Wat do??

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Slog through. The opening is dreadful, but once the situation starts developing I really think it's worthwhile. Long burn but a big bang.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Slog through. The opening is dreadful, but once the situation starts developing I really think it's worthwhile. Long burn but a big bang.

drat, nice icon/quote.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The icon is from the Freespace 2 user-made campaign Blue Planet. It's a very good campaign, thanks in large part to the authorial prowess of the good General.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
and the quote is from Blindsight

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

eriktown posted:

I just started reading something by her for the first time ever, Downbelow Station, and it's just the most unbelievable slog. Wat do??

I would say read a bunch of her other stuff and then return to Downbelow. It's a good book, but a heavy one, and IMO it's more accessible once you have historical context to put it into. It is arguably her slowest book, and the hardest to get into.

It's commonly recommended as a good book to start with, possibly because it won a whole pile of awards (and justly so), but I think it works better if you start with her lighter work and then read Downbelow when you start getting curious about what actually happened at the Treaty of Pell.

I note that all of her work focuses more on personalities and politics than on laserspewpew. The Pride of Chanur is probably her most "swashbuckling" book (and was the book that hooked me on Cherryh and sci-fi in general, in fact).

Recommendations from the same setting:
- pre-Downbelow: Heavy Time + Hellburner (read both together)
- post-Downbelow, Merchanter space: Rimrunners, Tripoint, Finity's End, Merchanter's Luck (read in any order)
- post-Downbelow, Union space: Cyteen

Recommendations from other settings:
- the Pride of Chanur, and the Chanur's Venture/Vengeance/Homecoming trilogy (Pride stands on its own, the trilogy should be read in one go)
- the Faded Sun trilogy
- Serpent's Reach

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Fried Chicken posted:

and the quote is from Blindsight

Speaking of which, I recently started reading Blindsight and I'll be damned if it isn't the most immediately gripping and interesting book I've read this year. And apparently there's a new book in the same setting coming out later this month. Pretty excited for that now, too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

apophenium posted:

Speaking of which, I recently started reading Blindsight and I'll be damned if it isn't the most immediately gripping and interesting book I've read this year. And apparently there's a new book in the same setting coming out later this month. Pretty excited for that now, too.

Oh poo poo, really? That's honestly the most exciting sci-fi related thing I've heard all year.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Less than a week! This Tuesday :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

and the ARC reviews, even from people who don't like Watts, are singing its praises.

So stoked. The only better news is that overseas they are releasing Blindsight and Echopraxia as a bundled book, so Blindsight can be put up for the Hugo it deserves

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fried Chicken posted:

and the ARC reviews, even from people who don't like Watts, are singing its praises.

So stoked. The only better news is that overseas they are releasing Blindsight and Echopraxia as a bundled book, so Blindsight can be put up for the Hugo it deserves

It was already nominated once, iirc. Don't know if it can be nominated again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I rarely buy brand new ebooks before there's at least a bit of a price drop, but Watts owns for putting so much of his stuff up for free. I'm happy to give him all my money.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

eriktown posted:

It was already nominated once, iirc. Don't know if it can be nominated again.

Huh, just checked and it was. I thought it got sandbagged by the publisher.

Well then

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fried Chicken posted:

I think expectation management is really important to avoiding disappointment. Get appropriately hyped: it's a good book full of interesting ideas. It's not as good as Blindsight.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh, just checked and it was. I thought it got sandbagged by the publisher.

It did, and then got nominated anyway, because it's an amazing book and also because Watts put it on his website for free (again iirc).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has anyone here read Lockstop by Karl Schroeder? I know his Virga series seemed to not be well-regarded here, but I liked them for the concept if nothing else, and Lockstep's concept (of a galactic society based on entire communities going into suspended-animation for decades at a time, at the same time, to make up for the lack of FTL) definitely intrigued me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chairman Capone posted:

Has anyone here read Lockstop by Karl Schroeder? I know his Virga series seemed to not be well-regarded here, but I liked them for the concept if nothing else, and Lockstep's concept (of a galactic society based on entire communities going into suspended-animation for decades at a time, at the same time, to make up for the lack of FTL) definitely intrigued me.

I have. It's not bad. A little bit YA-ish in feel for me, but that seems to be the hip thing to do these days. I'm a casual fan of Schroeder generally (and Virga is my least favorite of his work). My favorite book by him is probably Permanence. Ventus isn't bad.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

General Battuta posted:

I think expectation management is really important to avoiding disappointment. Get appropriately hyped: it's a good book full of interesting ideas. It's not as good as Blindsight.

Even "it's not as good as Blindsight" is drat fine by me. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Welsper posted:

So I was a dumb nerd and read Wright's The Golden Age
I used to be thinking the same thing, that it was just "here we see the tragic flawed hero character", and then I read some of the other stuff that Wright wrote, and man, gently caress. that. guy. I'm a big one for kill-the-author in art appreciation, but seriously, Wright is king fucker chicken.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the first Wright novel I read was one of the ones with the weird Texas-fetish totem as protagonist

it was also the last Wright novel I read.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I used to be thinking the same thing, that it was just "here we see the tragic flawed hero character", and then I read some of the other stuff that Wright wrote, and man, gently caress. that. guy. I'm a big one for kill-the-author in art appreciation, but seriously, Wright is king fucker chicken.

quote:

“In a complex speech, Notor explained something Phaethon already knew. Most deviants are deviant because they are poor. Most poor are poor because they lack the self-discipline necessary to forgo immediate gratification”
/

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Miss-Bomarc posted:

He's literally insane. He hears voices and sees visions.

http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/09/a-question-i-never-tire-of-answering/

Imagine how insufferable Richard Dawkins would be if he had a psychotic break, started seeing visions of the Virgin Mary, and converted to Catholicism.

• Locked thread